Why Do I Get So Much Hate For Playing Light-Side Sith?

Berronaxftw

as the title says.. get so much rage and QQ from people when i say i play light side sith saying "the empire is evil and your character should be evil"..

that's BS the empire isn't evil (imo).. i mean sure it has a few bad eggs, but the republic aint no good guy club either..

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as the title says.. get so much rage and QQ from people when i say i play light side sith saying "the empire is evil and your character should be evil"..

that's BS the empire isn't evil (imo).. i mean sure it has a few bad eggs, but the republic aint no good guy club either..

No stick from me over this, but the empire is evil, it's racist and warmongering, these are evil facets, there are good people in there but the empire itself is evil.

I agree about the corruption in the republic though, it is deep and getting to Sith levels of vileness.

No stick from me over this, but the empire is evil, it's racist and warmongering, these are evil facets, there are good people in there but the empire itself is evil.

I agree about the corruption in the republic though, it is deep and getting to Sith levels of vileness.

True, i have read some of the quest lines and the imperials seem to have a very deep hatred for aliens and a strong support for slavery and oppresive behaviour, so i guess on a whole the empire is bad, but the empire also has a lot of good things about it.

It's quite funny but i would say i'm a bit of both jedi and sith (if it's possible to be that) in the fact i embrace my emotions and they empower me, but i protect the weak and the innocent, i hope for peace, even tho i know peace can never exist as long as people have their own free will.

They are evil. Have you not watched the movies, where the Empire is blatantly made out to be the evil bad guys? They kill aliens because, oh hey they're aliens! They put people into slavery. They blow up planets!

Just as the Republic is good with some bad apples, the Empire is evil with some good apples.

Somehow I believe SWTOR has a mental effect on people. When I first started SWTOR I was a pure light Jedi and it felt good. But then I rolled a Sith Warrior that was pure dark and that felt GOOD. Yeah, felt good stomping on the peasants with my might boot and killing whoever I wanted for any reason at all. >:3

Ahem, anyway I guess some people get caught up in the moment of being a baddy and I guess when you pop in as a nice guy they wait eagerly for the option to smack you. lol

My first two characters were pure LS and DS respectively, because I wanted the Legacy unlocks. After that point, everybody else has been a mixture based on what I wanted to see happen in the story.

But I do love the way darkside corruption looks on Miralukans.

Walk around with the "Honorable" or "Pure" title on your head. That's the best.

And whenever someone tells you how you should play your toon, well, <<infraction worthy insult>> them.

Anyway, why ? Don't really know. Even when it's expected a Sith being evil, people's reactions can be sometimes moronic. I mean, I seriuosly doubt they're all concern abou the lore and stuff, lol.

Except my first character which was clearly light sided, all the others were neutral with a little leaning to one side, but then, once I start grinding HMs and stuff, and the LS/DS options started repeating they wound up with one of the extremes. Doesn't really matter since alignment in the story has no impact (except maybe on the warrior story at some point at the end of act 1)

As far as the Empire being good vs evil...it goes both ways, Rule through Strength does not automatically equate to a lack of benevolence...your average Joe in the middle class of the Empire probably doesn't even see a difference from their cousin in the Republic other than the flag hanging outside of the window...

A nation cannot be described as good or evil of its own accord, only by it's ruling power, if a Jedi with good intentions were to take over the Empire and a few Sith voted into power over the Republic, give it a hundred years or so and they would have completely swapped (Republic becoming Empire, Empire becoming Republic)

If nothing else, be a Sith, go light-side and aim to be the one to make the switch...then go play a Jedi as dark-side and reciprocate...

They are evil. Have you not watched the movies, where the Empire is blatantly made out to be the evil bad guys? They kill aliens because, oh hey they're aliens! They put people into slavery. They blow up planets!

Just as the Republic is good with some bad apples, the Empire is evil with some good apples.

sith blew one planet

repbulic commited one geoncide and destoryed a planet

korriban they commited geoncide against the sith

malchor v the destroyed the planet

so 2-1 to the republic.

LS/DS are relative. LS is not necessary good and DS is not necessarily evil.

In the case of an imperial - LS tends to be loyal to the empire and takes a long view approach (why kill everyone when they can serve the empire in some fashion). On the other hand, DS tends to be more self-centered and takes a shorter view (this person/these people have pissed me off...they die now).

Both mentalities can be "evil" - those lives you did not extinguish (because you chose the LS option) are now serving the empire as slaves toiling in a toxic swamp.

I tried to have a light-side sith but he was more neutral-dark side than light-side by level 50.

No rage from me; play it as it suits you. I don't view the Empire as an entity that has to be evil, and the Republic as an entity incapable of evil. The Sith and the Empire just tend to be that.

- Arcada

LS/DS are relative. LS is not necessary good and DS is not necessarily evil.

In the case of an imperial - LS tends to be loyal to the empire and takes a long view approach (why kill everyone when they can serve the empire in some fashion). On the other hand, DS tends to be more self-centered and takes a shorter view (this person/these people have pissed me off...they die now).

Both mentalities can be "evil" - those lives you did not extinguish (because you chose the LS option) are now serving the empire as slaves toiling in a toxic swamp.

This is very true, which is why sometimes i choose to kill somebody, rather than damn them to an eternity of slavery.

when i'm playing sith or jedi i feel forced to begin to an alignment..but when i play non-force users i just do what i want and it's really satisfying. i think you mean companions or npcs..they rage at you because they are evil in this case..

Being that the Empire is, well, an empire, so the will of the Emperor is the policy of the Empire. So the Empire is inherently evil.

Most of the real world's Empires of the past brought about real and positive changes in knowledge, technology, and commerce. Were they all "evil?"

Most of the real world's Empires of the past brought about real and positive changes in knowledge, technology, and commerce. Were they all "evil?"

Whether the good the empire brought outweighs the things it did to become and stay an empire is a difficult question. If any outsiders or citizens got in the way they certainly did "evil" to them.

Some more evil than others, ofc. The Persians would let conquered peoples keep local customs as long as they dealt honestly with them - the punishment for dishonesty doesn't bear thinking about. The mongols would give you a chance to surrender but it was often almost as bad for you as resisting. Pax Romana... aye, it's peaceful when the belligerent city has been leveled to the ground and all survivors taken away as slaves. Alexander's empire might have spread the most "good" from our POV, what with exporting hellenistic culture so far away.

I know the topic is on "Sith" but I've mostly seen talk about the Empire. Anywho, I roll a Light-Side Bounty Hunter because, well, I'm lazy. If I can make credits without having to pull out my blaster then it's a good day. People tell me "Oh you're a bad guy be bad!" I'm just like "If you wanna make my choices then pay for my subscription pal" and that shuts them up, or on the rare instance gets me kicked out of the group but nonetheless... Just ignore those guys. They only wish they could do these things without being punished for it. :sy_lightside:

I never ever heard anything bad for either being LS Sith, or Sith pureblood on rep side, or DS republic.

maybe you got unlucky, and any one giving you grief needs to get a life.

I understand some coments (as I get RP people on my Sith/Rattataki republic chars, saying that 'they feel DS' from me - while they mostly LS any ways), but making a notice is hardly 'so much hate'.

As for empire being evil, it's rought, xenofobic and cruel, while republic is corrupted, two sided...

there are no good guys, even Jedi are Bstards, 'for greater good' is to good excuse.

Many valid points have been mentioned here so far.

I also think it depends what Sith you play. Do you play a pureblood Sith? Then a lightside char is somewhat not overly realistic, because it is in the nature of their race to be evil (imho).

However, I play a Twi'lek Sith Sorcerer. I chose it, because it thwarts the Sith way. Twi'leks are the lowest alien breed there is (in the eyes of a pureblood Sith) and their biggest worth would be serving as slaves. The storyline sometimes reacts to my char being a Twi'lek, however only slightly. In such a context, I find it absolutely unbelievable to play a dark side Twi'lek Sith. Or a Sith at all, but that's another topic. ;)

So, all in all, find your own context in the game and then dark or light side will fit to it. And please don't give a cr*p about what others think about your playing style. Have you not noticed that there are many id*ots playing this game? Don't let them spoil your fun. Always ask yourself this question: Why does the other even care for it? Why are you an issue for him/her? If (s)he would get along with him/herself, (s)he would not bother whether you are ls or ds. Simple as that. :o