Merge Some Servers PLEASE

CowsWithGuns

It's getting frustrating with the lack of people on the servers. I play on Namadii Corridor and the population size has been deemed standard. Although on most planets that I go to, besides Tython and Coruscant, I tend to only find populations of about 17 or so. It also takes way too long to get a group for a flashpoint and it's extremely annoying; not to mention the added bonus of most planets feeling rather empty. Now, I really like the game but this issue takes away quite a bit of fun. I have been hearing comments like these from other servers, generally lighter ones, as well. It seems to me that if the game wishes to survive server merges need to happen.

Eventhough it is probally the best idea... it would look horrible on them if they'd have to do this already so soon after launch... I would not expect any server changes being made (char transfer etc) for atleast untill the game is a year old.

Honestly, I think there were simply too many servers to begin with. Even with an extremely successful launch there seemed to be an absurd amount of servers. Maybe I'm wrong, but there simply seemed to be too many.

I do agree that a merge would be great. Shrink down the servers to around half of how many there are now, and for the RP servers, I think there only needs to be one for each time zone. If things get really crowded another server can always be opened up again later.

But I have to agree with Sjattuh, a server merge probably wont be happening for a while now. It's unfortunate but I can't see it happening for at least another six months.

If EA/BW don't start to merge servers NOW!, the only ppl who really like this game will be forced to reroll in a populate server or play with womprats.. As long as EA/BW delay merge more ppl left... 6 month is much time for a sinking MMORPG

I would start with a paid character transfer service before server merges are done. There will always be people who prefer a quiet server over a populated / full server, possibly so they can do quests in peace without other interfering players who for example click an object when they are busy fighting a mob and there will no doubt be other reasons.

Levelling and getting gear in this game is easy so therefor rerolling works better then remaining on a deadish server. I started on a crowded server with long wait times so rolled on a lowbee server until the early launch period was over and I'm back again on my old server and got a geared 50 easy. (which I deleted, because well yes it's not hard to delete a char which you can easy level back and geared)

So why bother remaining on a dead server when you simply can reroll. For lols I logged my old char on that lowbee server and yes it's deadish so I'm happy I rerolled instead of staying there.

Merging servers now is a bad idea.

Merging RP Servers the worst idea untill they fix the char naming issue. RP people prefer to keep their names and I vote for the idea that someone who requests a merge should lose the right on using his old name if that name is already on a server. (someone on the forum came up with this marvelous idea, to flag people who request a merge so they wont be allowed to get their old names if that name occurs on another server)

Edited by Kirameki

There are 79 (?) PvE servers?

Currently there are 8 people in my server Fleet.

This does not say to me: Massively Multiplayer. This says I'm going to be soloing the whole game or sitting on my butt for hours on end waiting for a group.

I'm just now leveling my first character and I already can't finish group quests because there's no one to group with.

Rerolling for someone like me is not as big a deal... until I choose another server that's got currrently standard population and in 2 more weeks is... 8 people in the Fleet (be aware when I chose my server, it was "Heavy" population. 2 weeks later, the most people I've seen in Fleet is about 20 give or take a few) But for players who feel like they have an investment in the characters they have on their current server - that's just crap. To say: "If you want to be able to group/pvp you have to leave the character you've worked all the way up on behind and start completely over."

Bioware REALLY needs to merge servers.

Edited by Arigo

My previous game died out due to a server merge. (It became so unbalanced people rage-quitted) People claiming merging is the absolute solution to their problems are wrong, merging is a last resort.

A game company will offer server tranfers first (which they should because most people left their previous crowded servers at launch to join new servers)

So they first have to offer FREE server transfers to the pre-launch people who got tired of waiting to get into their servers and rerolled.

Edited by Kirameki

It's getting frustrating with the lack of people on the servers. I play on Namadii Corridor and the population size has been deemed standard. Although on most planets that I go to, besides Tython and Coruscant, I tend to only find populations of about 17 or so. It also takes way too long to get a group for a flashpoint and it's extremely annoying; not to mention the added bonus of most planets feeling rather empty. Now, I really like the game but this issue takes away quite a bit of fun. I have been hearing comments like these from other servers, generally lighter ones, as well. It seems to me that if the game wishes to survive server merges need to happen.

I agree. On early access and launch most of the servers were full, you had to queue to get into a game. Where the hell did everyone go?

I think this game needs more places for players to congregate before heading out on Heroic and Flashpoint quests. I find myself abandoning these all the time as there's no one around to group up with. If we could encourage players to group up in areas like Cantinas, maybe with PvP minigames like Pazaak or Dejarik more people would do the Heroic and Flashpoints quests.

Merging servers now is a bad idea.

Merging RP Servers the worst idea untill they fix the char naming issue. RP people prefer to keep their names and I vote for the idea that someone who requests a merge should lose the right on using his old name if that name is already on a server. (someone on the forum came up with this marvelous idea, to flag people who request a merge so they wont be allowed to get their old names if that name occurs on another server)

They would also need to address the guild naming issue. It would be bad enough on a regular server, but RP servers tend to attract the sort of people who put a bit more background and 'Lore' into the name choices for their guild, as a rule.

Two guilds on two RP servers slated for a merge might both be named (conjuring up a random name here) "Champions of the Empire", and the membership across both guilds might be very attached to their guild name(s). Someone is going to come up on the short end of the stick, and BioWare is going to have to decide who that is.

There are comparatively few RP servers, anyways. It is likely wiser to just leave them be, and treat them as servers of the standard play type (PvP or PvE), and give people the option of merging into them if server mergers ever become a reality. Admittedly, yes, I do play on a RP server, so I am 'slightly' biased in that regard, but I have no doubt that regular servers contain good folk that could easily adopt a RP server as a comfortable new home. :)

They would also need to address the guild naming issue. It would be bad enough on a regular server, but RP servers tend to attract the sort of people who put a bit more background and 'Lore' into the name choices for their guild, as a rule.

Two guilds on two RP servers slated for a merge might both be named (conjuring up a random name here) "Champions of the Empire", and the membership across both guilds might be very attached to their guild name(s). Someone is going to come up on the short end of the stick, and BioWare is going to have to decide who that is.

There are comparatively few RP servers, anyways. It is likely wiser to just leave them be, and treat them as servers of the standard play type (PvP or PvE), and give people the option of merging into them if server mergers ever become a reality. Admittedly, yes, I do play on a RP server, so I am 'slightly' biased in that regard, but I have no doubt that regular servers contain good folk that could easily adopt a RP server as a comfortable new home. :)

As long as they respect the RP aspect (or get the "rp virus"). I used to play pve only and rolled RP server for the nice community and I ended up catching that "rp-virus" and now spending most of my gametime rp-ing/sight-seeing.

Edited by Kirameki