Social Behaviour

NummSaul

Since f2p has launched i have noticed that people ( new players/old sub players/) are really rude and impatient.

I would like to find out if more people have noticed this and other (lets call it anti-social behaviour) since f2p launched?

I would like to it make clear that i really enjoy the game with my friends and keep on playing for a long time.

But the things ive encounterd or heard from other players/friends:

-People react rude when someone asks a question in general chat/groupchat. The person/persons in question get trolled etc for something silly.

-When someone says 1 min afk ( bio break or whatever the reason is, we all agree to wait a bit.

But when someone else in the group said brb 5 min bio break he got kicked halfway a HM FP by the player that just went away for a 1 minute break.

-The overall rudeness in chat with foreign players not speaking english.( I am a foreign player but i always try to speak my best english in general chat or groups except when i play with friends in a group) When you ask nicely if they could speak english so that everyone can understand whats being said, they refuse and keep talking in their language and the group can't understand what he/she is trying to say to us and rage and quit the group or other people get kicked.

And there are alot of other things ive encounterd of heard from.

And i know '''welcome to the wonderfull world of the internet'' is going through your mind.

But it seems alot of people just don't care about a healthy community anymore?

If my english isn't very good i apolagize, it's not my native language :)

Edited by NummSaul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since f2p has launched i have noticed that people ( new players/old sub players/) are really rude and impatient.

I would like to find out if more people have noticed this and other (lets call it anti-social behaviour) since f2p launched?

I would like to it make clear that i really enjoy the game with my friends and keep on playing for a long time.

-People react rude when someone asks a question in general chat/groupchat. The person/persons in question get trolled etc for something silly.

-When someone says 1 min afk ( bio break or whatever the reason is, we all agree to wait a bit.

But when someone else in the group said brb 5 min bio break he got kicked halfway a HM FP by the player that just went away for a 1 minute break.

-The overall rudeness in chat with foreign players not speaking english.( I am a foreign player but i always try speak my best english in general chat or groups except when i play with friends in a group) When you ask nicely if they could speak english so that everyone can understand whats being said, they refuse and keep talking in their language and the group can't understand what he/she is trying to say to us and rage and quit the group or other people get kicked.

And i know '''welcome to the wonderfull world of the internet'' is going through your mind.

Yes the community as become a ghetto of rude selfish greedy little p.o.s. I think a majority of the community took it as some kinda sign that once f2p came it gave everyone the right to act like tools. But the reality is its all WoWs fault. They encurged and rewared rudness and greed as they were to big to address these issue they choose to ignore them so people got used to being scammed and said F it not anymore. And it has carried over to other MMOs. The fact that the devs still wont address ninjas and poor play IE greifing then this will not stop. We as players cant do anything for the same resons relieing on people to do the right thing has failed so will a community black list or something along those lines.

No this wont stop untill there is a true punishment for acting like an ***. MMOs are a great way to see just how big a scumbags people truely are. You see how they act when thereis no fear of punishment thats how they will act in real life if something happens. Good leasson remember it for the 12/21/12

Your english is better than most English speakers/Typers lol

Thank you. I'm trying hard to speak/type proper English :p

Yes the community as become a ghetto of rude selfish greedy little p.o.s. I think a majority of the community took it as some kinda sign that once f2p came it gave everyone the right to act like tools. But the reality is its all WoWs fault. They encurged and rewared rudness and greed as they were to big to address these issue they choose to ignore them so people got used to being scammed and said F it not anymore. And it has carried over to other MMOs. The fact that the devs still wont address ninjas and poor play IE greifing then this will not stop. We as players cant do anything for the same resons relieing on people to do the right thing has failed so will a community black list or something along those lines.

No this wont stop untill there is a true punishment for acting like an ***. MMOs are a great way to see just how big a scumbags people truely are. You see how they act when thereis no fear of punishment thats how they will act in real life if something happens. Good leasson remember it for the 12/21/12

First of thanks for replying on my post. :)

This is my first MMO so i did not know about how things worked in other games but after being in beta testing and the launch of f2p social behaviour went down the drain pretty fast. (i started playing this game because i love Star Wars and i'm doing a study on social behaviour)

What i don't understand is why people continue to keep behaving like this, because they probably will go on the ignore list of alot of people and eventually will not be able to play the game anymore.(think of grouping/doing FP or operations or other game features in other games. Looking at the fact that people are doing this in other games.)

So they're in fact ''killing'' their own gaming experience and create frustration for themselves

As i said before I'm doing a study on social behaviour so thats why it fascinates me why people start and keep behaving like ''douchebags''

Aren't they aware they are ruining everything for themselves?

It just seems strange that this is ''accepted'' in the gaming community by players and game developers alike.

I understand that there are alot of people just doing it for the so called ''lolz'' but some people don't have a clue what they are creating for themselves it seems and carry it over to other people/gamers.

Most MMO-ers i know or see on the TV etc aren't kids anymore ( there are alot of kids playing mmo's but still)

Most of them are in their twenties or older, its seems strange that people use their free time on games to act like ''tools'' to get their daily frustration vented.

Edited by NummSaul

not speaking english in a group hasn´t happened to me yet in swtor. In general chat i dont care if people write in polish, spanish of whatever they type, just dont make a longer conversation. In groups however it´s another matter.

If people refuse to type in a language the whole group understands, i just leave. it´s no big deal. I can make my own group then and put the asocial doucebags on ignore.

I have yet to experience such behavior in swtor. Generally people are nice.

this behavior has been going on since launch and was at its worse last December and January.

i wouldn't blame the f2p people as much as it it the subscribers now and their attitude toward such. essentially these subscribers act worse than what they are saying about such f2p players. you can see examples of this attitude here on the forums too.

Iv'e made a guild taking f2pers and subbs JUST to avoid grouping with random rude players.Im enjoying this nice green bubble that draws the line between fun nice people and the rude , evil, d-bag sea of subbed and F2p players who dont even know what their doing is bad for everyone.

Your English is just fine :)

My ignore list has grown since f2p went live. I didn't even have an ignore list before (and I've been playing since launch). Funny thing is, it's not f2p'ers I've chosen to ignore- all of the incidents of rudeness, childishness, hostility, general d-baggery etc have occurred during running dailies. All I can figure is that these folks are once-subbers who unfortunately returned :(

Your English is just fine :)

My ignore list has grown since f2p went live. I didn't even have an ignore list before (and I've been playing since launch). Funny thing is, it's not f2p'ers I've chosen to ignore- all of the incidents of rudeness, childishness, hostility, general d-baggery etc have occurred during running dailies. All I can figure is that these folks are once-subbers who unfortunately returned :(

I think this is a big part of the problem. Returning players spewing their vitriol at the game because it sucked too much to pay for or even play before, but here they are again making sure we all know it.

I've also seen a fair number of subscribers with these attitude problems. I never use an ignore list. Didn't in wow, didn't in lotro, haven't yet in swtor, but I've been tempted since F2P went live. I really think it's a combination of butthurt subscribers thinking people want everything for free and butthurt returning players who are dismayed to see that the game did not utterly crash and burn as they predicted because they are, in fact, NOT psychics.

I remember about a week ago a guy in a random pug FP speaking his language (I think it was German) and although I told him that none of us understoof what he wanted to say, he just kept writing in his own language, asking questions and saying stuff.

I didn't really have a problem with that to be honest, I mainly had a problem with the fact that he seemed to...hmm... "forgot" his English after the first boss, because up till then he was just writing perfectly.

But at least he was talking.

Now, I'm really trying hard not to be racist, but I have noticed that people who belong to guilds from a specific country almost NEVER say anything at all, not even a "hi" and I mean come on, everyone knows enough English to say "hi".

But yes, as a general rule, people are really rude sometimes, always seem to be in a hurry and rarely seem to get that part of the fun of an MMO is other people.

Oh well.

To each his own, I guess.

Edited by TheNahash

OP, your English is very good compared to a ton of crap I see.

As for the people not speaking English in Gen. / Group I cannot comment on the group one seeing that it has not happened to me yet, but as far as Gen. goes, if one is on a N. American server, one really should be speaking in English most of the time. It's the primary language focus and the "You are in my house" scenario is active.

I honestly put anyone who doesn't speak English on my ignore list. No point in clogging chat up with something one can't read half the time. Also the fact that someone is speaking another language might upset others seeing that it is unkown to them on what is being said.

I've seen jerks post rude things in other languages on purpose just for the sake of trolling. I can understand the frustration with some of this, but overall it all goes to the fact that X regions in the servers focus on a prime language and the players should really know the basics of it at least.

Edited by Eillack

OP, your English is very good compared to a ton of crap I see.

As for the people not speaking English in Gen. / Group I cannot comment on the group one seeing that it has not happened to me yet, but as far as Gen. goes, if one is on a N. American server, one really should be speaking in English most of the time. It's the primary language focus and the "You are in my house" scenario is active.

I honestly put anyone who doesm't speak English on my ignore list. No point in clogging chat up with something one can't read half the time. Also the fact that someone is speaking another language might upset others seeing that it is unkown to them on what is being said.

I've seen jerks post rude things in other languages on purpose just for the sake of trolling. I can understand the frustration with some of this, but overall it all goes to the fact that X regions in the servers focus on a prime language and the players should really know the basics of it at least.

Thank you for the compliment,

It wasn't my intention to ''blame'' this on the new players i apolagize for that.

You've said that you will put these players on your ignore list if they show anti-social behaviour.

This is exactly what i mean with people ruining their own gaming experience if they act anti-social.

But instead of trying to fix their problem they keep up their little game of being anti-social.

It seems that most of these people based on the encounters some people have listed here are former subscriders that did not think this game was worth paying a monthly fee for, or people that are against this mmo-game just to behave as ''douchebags'' to get their frustration vented just for kicks.

But they're playing this game despite of those feelings. so there must be something nice/good/attractive about this game for them.

These people seem to like the game and also to play a game, but also hate it at the same time,looking at the fact they refuse to be social/friendly to others people in this mmo.

So they are actually only frustrating themselves no matter how hard they try to frustrate other people.

I have outlined a sentence of your reply because this is something many players ( i think and hope ) including myself are trying to do,

To behave in another ''country'' ''home'' so i can have a pleasant experience for the duration i'm using this social game/moment

I find it strange that some people are not trying ''fit in'' to enhance their experience.

What i have seen/found out about this:

-People are trying and want to be social with other people from different cultures and countries through this mmo-game.

But they only want to achieve their ''social goal'' on their terms.

They're ruining their chance of reaching this goal by acting like this but they do not see it somehow or refuse to see it.

The result of all this is that this games community starts to reject these people and they get even more frustrated and try to ''troll'' ''act like a douchebag'' to get some of that frustration vented.

But in the end they don't see how this happend and whats comes of it.

The side affect of all this is that the ''community'' reacts aggressive to these ''foreign'' people, and are instantly triggerd by new players that do not know that speaking english is an unwritten rule in online gaming to create a better experience for them and others, and they will get harassed because of the people that came before them.

I have seen some people saying that they should go to their own native language server ( if it exists) or they should make servers only for a tiny group of players.

But this does not solve the problem and will create new ones as a result.

It seems to me that it would be wise to write down the global unwritten rules of this game ( or online gaming) to help the people that do not understand what these unwritten rules are.

And to monitor anti-social behaviour and that developers/or some player based group steps up and try to help these people so that they fit in the gaming community or they can choose to do not so and find their social goal somewhere else.

Sorry for the long post but i get carried away sometimes :p

Edited by NummSaul

Firstly your english is great so don't worry there.

Recently on Dromund Kaas a low level player threw me a silent group invite. No hello. No can you help me with this please. Just BOOM invite! This happens almost every day. As many players do I declined the invite and then politely informed the player that this type of behavior is counter productive and that in the future if they take the time to just ask a player for help ( what,where,when) that they will find players more receptive. a few seconds later I recieved the repley "F*** you."

I don't know if the player spoke enough english to understand my text but they spoke enough to be an ***. I've encountered things like this occasionaly in my 10 years playing MMOs but it has increased on my server since F2P went live. The only thing I can say about this and other downright rude situations is stay calm,if needed take a break and come back before getting upset. writing a ticket will not help in most cases and just turn general chat off unless you currently need it to avoid all the rest of the trashtalk and trolling that runs 24-7. General chat has degenerated into a quagmire of trolling,flaming and downright stupidity with F2P. At least on my server.

Well, to provide a little bit of a counterpoint to this, allow me to describe a social scenario that unfolded for me last night:

I am a returning player and a subscriber. I always enjoyed the game, but real-life reared its ugly head last spring and I cancelled my account, so no hard feelings on my part and no desire to deride anyone who wants to play this game. I'm even trying to get all my friends to try the F2P and get those who used to play back. Anyway.

I hadn't really ever tried Republic-side, and I was enticed by the irony of rolling a Sith Jedi, so I made my new Knight and plunged myself into Tython's missions. General chat was full of questions, which I was happy to answer when I could, along with a couple other veterans. A casual dueling match broke out in front of the Jedi Temple via a new F2P person's request to try PvP. Everything was very friendly, and the one troll who popped up was quickly dealt with. I think I even made a new friend named Pudding, as we discussed variations on the Slave Girl outfit and waved to each other every time we passed one another at the Jedi Temple. I had a great time, and I think those who participated in the conversation did, too.

So even if there are bad experiences out there, there are also great ones. Or maybe The Bastion is just that super awesome at 5:00 a.m. Pacific :D

I would like to start off by saying that your english is VERY good, better than most native "speakers" and I think it's probably because you care how you "sound" in this format. I also applaud you for using an MMO for your study. In an MMO, or any social media where you have subjective annonimity, people tend to show their inner selves, doing and saying things along the lines of what they actually feel/believe rather than what is "socially acceptable".

I play on the Ebon Hawk server and I haven't run into anyone not using english in gen chat or group, but that could be because it is an RP server. I have, however noticed that since F2P launched, my ignore list has grown, not because of the rude commentary, but because of credfarmer bots. On my five characters I think I have less than 10 people on ignore that aren't bots, and only one of those since F2P larnched, and only because he refused to stop typing in all caps after repeated requests from multiple people in gen chat, and a whisper from me, to stop.

By the same token, my friends list is also on the increase. Just after 1.5 launched, I decided to make up a Pub side toon, I normally play Imp side, and level him up for when I was ready to get the HK parts, and I grouped up with someone that appeared to be having lag issues. When I commented on this she said she was from the UK, and when I asked why she was on a NA server, she told me that some of her chat friends had recommended the game and they were on the Ebon Hawk server, and with the game being F2P she decided to give it a try. After that I used the follow player command, and if she lagged and ran into a group of hostiles, I would try to keep her from getting killed. She would also, occasionally get DC'd, at which point I would stay nearby and kill any wandering mobs or respawns. I know alot of people would probably have ungrouped and moved on, but we spent most of the weekend hanging out, leveling our toons together, she is now on my friends list, and I sent her an in-game e-mail with a list of my Imp side toons, and told her to give them a shout if she rolled up an Imp side character and noticed any of them were in-game.

I would like to start off by saying that your english is VERY good, better than most native "speakers" and I think it's probably because you care how you "sound" in this format. I also applaud you for using an MMO for your study. In an MMO, or any social media where you have subjective annonimity, people tend to show their inner selves, doing and saying things along the lines of what they actually feel/believe rather than what is "socially acceptable".

I play on the Ebon Hawk server and I haven't run into anyone not using english in gen chat or group, but that could be because it is an RP server. I have, however noticed that since F2P launched, my ignore list has grown, not because of the rude commentary, but because of credfarmer bots. On my five characters I think I have less than 10 people on ignore that aren't bots, and only one of those since F2P larnched, and only because he refused to stop typing in all caps after repeated requests from multiple people in gen chat, and a whisper from me, to stop.

By the same token, my friends list is also on the increase. Just after 1.5 launched, I decided to make up a Pub side toon, I normally play Imp side, and level him up for when I was ready to get the HK parts, and I grouped up with someone that appeared to be having lag issues. When I commented on this she said she was from the UK, and when I asked why she was on a NA server, she told me that some of her chat friends had recommended the game and they were on the Ebon Hawk server, and with the game being F2P she decided to give it a try. After that I used the follow player command, and if she lagged and ran into a group of hostiles, I would try to keep her from getting killed. She would also, occasionally get DC'd, at which point I would stay nearby and kill any wandering mobs or respawns. I know alot of people would probably have ungrouped and moved on, but we spent most of the weekend hanging out, leveling our toons together, she is now on my friends list, and I sent her an in-game e-mail with a list of my Imp side toons, and told her to give them a shout if she rolled up an Imp side character and noticed any of them were in-game.

Thank you,

And that is exactly the reason why i picked an mmo for my study.

The true nature of people comes up most of the time when they are performing tasks or doing activities in a comfort zone ( their own house, or a familiar place or building.)

It is really surprising that 80% of the people i have spoken to and the people i did my research on revealed that as soon as they leave or enter their ''safe'' zone the ''social mask'' goes on or comes off. and their ''normal'' basic behaviour flows free through their activities.

But to get back on the topic,

First of you helped her out and you gained alot. i applaud you for that.

Just like the post before your post, yours is an great example of how people should socially interact with each other,

What you did was accepting the fact that this person had issues with her internet connection..

And tried to help her out and in the process you achieved a new social contact, a possible friend,your gaming goal, and someone you can rely on in the future because of your good deed

For most people the ''problem'' she had is a reason to instantly ''block'' that person and leave her behind and fence for herself.

This person will most likely get angry/frustrated because of this.

And she might have told her story to others that will now try to avoid you because of your previous behaviour.and you might have a lesser gaming experience thanks to those 5 minutes of anti-social behaviour.

And again i applaud you for the good social actions you took.

And this does not only apply to the ''online world'' but also in real life.

It's amazing that alot of people are not themselves ( or actually are themselves it depends how you look at it.) when they're surfing on the internet or any social media.

If you help another person with his/her problem you will always gain something.

But people only tend to watch what ''the outside world'' thinks of them so they do not act on these problems in real life ( besides the fact that some people do act socially wherever they are. not all people are bad :p )

Edited by NummSaul

I tend to find that there is an ambient level of a-hole behaviour in all MMOs (indeed, in all online communication). This level varies from place to place depending, I suppose, upon how well it is policed.

What you are noticing, I believe, is a rise in this level due to the new influx of players at this time. These are people that do not know/have yet to develop a respect for the community. Some are being deliberately rude, because they think it amusing, and have little or no intention of actually joining the community. Other's simply have no idea how to behave in such a social setting and just get carried away. Many more will be behaving in an acceptable fashion, but these are rarely noticed due to the high profile nature of the offenders.

The same was observed shortly after launch. Again, a large influx of people who did not know one another or have a sense of community. This anonymity and lack of meaningful repercussion often proves a fertile environment for such behaviour to flourish. Though generally only for a short time, as they grow bored and leave, or wise up and integrate as consensus of the community turns against them.

Basically, those that remain must begin to temper their behaviour as the sanctions imposed by the community (i.e. the ignore list) has a more meaningful impact upon them. Not being allowed to join groups/guilds because they are a known problem may cause some to review their behaviour as it effects their experience of the game. Either that or they leave.

Over time, those that remain develop a certain affinity for the community and become somewhat subject to the codes of behaviour that it espouses. This more or less happens unconsciously. It is just something most humans tend to do. There may be exceptions, of course, but these become very much the minority.

This isn't to say that everyone just gets along over time. There will still be cases of certain individuals behaving rudely towards one another, but this drops off to the ambient level I originally mentioned. Exactly what this level is seems dependent upon the community and what they are prepared to tolerate.

TL;DR

New entrants to any community tend to act up. As they develop a sense of the community they cease to test the boundaries as much and begin to integrate, or they leave. Most of those that remain join the consensus. Some may still challenge it, though generally to a lesser degree.

H.

Edited by Helgarm

TBH, the biggest thing I've noticed is that they whine about everything they don't have that subscribers do have. These are also the same people that cry about not getting any rare loot out of the 10 cartel packs they just bought but refuse to spend coins to unlock the stuff they cry about not having.

@OP Yes i'm afraid it's the 'warcraft effect' where manners, respect and everything else you and me do is ignored by Mr. Impatient.

I get whispered in a few languages (which is ok because it is a worldwide community) and when I reply I only know English, I get sworn at and/or screamed at in caps. doesn't happen very often but it happened on republic 2 days ago and I was only on tython!

Not had too many issues on sith apart from random invites spam and trade chat in Polish

You type English fairly well. I've only ever witnessed someone not speaking English in General Chat-- never in a group-- and those instances are few and far between.

I have to say, though, I think the community has been "ruder" since before F2P. I've seen a lot of arrogance, ******tery, and general douchebagery (that I've been the victim of!) since populations increased-- which, quite frankly, is probably just a direct result of my probability of running into such people when put into a higher population. So, no, I don't think F2P has resulted in more foul behavior.

I do swear upon my PlayStation 3 that F2P has resulted in more spammers, and they're is obviously a more significant amount of trolls. But I've actually seen more rude people ignored, told to f*** off, or just picked on in general, as opposed to more rude people clogging up General Chat with their bad behavior. I don't think rude behavior has picked up since F2P.

Nice theme,man.So far the best solution to avoid rude people is to play with your friend or guildmates,cause rude people are everywhere.I think they just feel "protected" and try to be somebody in a game not in real life.I have no problems if they can say their complaits in my face,not in chat,specially in pvp( something like "we lost cause you suck,and you suck cause you are low lvl",or my favorite"nice work noob team"). So people let's be polite with each other and have some fun,because this is a game not a battlefield:i_wink:

Good Luck in your adventures and have a nice day

P.s: your english is fine:mon_rolleyes:

Edited by Dzan

-The overall rudeness in chat with foreign players not speaking english.( I am a foreign player but i always try to speak my best english in general chat or groups except when i play with friends in a group) When you ask nicely if they could speak english so that everyone can understand whats being said, they refuse and keep talking in their language and the group can't understand what he/she is trying to say to us and rage and quit the group or other people get kicked.

As expected, F2P has changed the climate - but it's not all because of F2P.

When I was on Darth Sion, I had exactly one person on ignore (most of the server had that guy on ignore btw).

4 month later, we merged into Drooga, and within a few weeks, I had half a dozen ignores.

Then EAware released groupfinder, and my ignores doubled again.

Then we merged into Harbinger and the ignores doubled once more.

Since F2P, I probably added another dozen trolls to the list.

Statistically, the more people you have on a server, the more jerks you will have.

Add to that the increased anonymity of a large crowd, and even more people will misbehave.

Finally, add to that the F2P'ers with nothing lose and you arrive at the current state of affairs.

It will only get worse... :(