Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

LordDelectus
12.16.2019 , 03:35 PM | #61
At heart I agree with the OP. All reboot references disgust me. This game is my refuge for a fandom I love so very much.

From a practical perspective, I just want the "Legends" (I hate even calling it that) universe to continue to expand and flourish, so if it requires compromises in order to make that happen, then I will tolerate them, not that I really have a choice in the matter, I guess. Especially if it is not appearing as story content.

Not going to chop my nose off to spite my face.

Kaldron_Fell
12.16.2019 , 03:52 PM | #62
Yeah, I can well do without baby yodas and all that other disney crap.
Cult of the Wailing Wookiee

QuiDonJorn
12.17.2019 , 04:12 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
It honestly sounds like you need to consult a therapist, dude.
LOL, I was about to say the same thing.
All these anti-Disney SW people are absolute babies.
Seriously, from all my reading on the interwebz in the last four years I can only conclude that they all had just decided to hate it just as soon as George sold it.

Oh, and...

Quote:
Oh, and creating a Force Storm out of nowhere in space that swallows up a whole fleet of ships and teleports Luke Skywalker from Coruscant across the galaxy to Palpatine Reborn like happened in the Dark Empire comics from old EU continuity, that's all fine and good then? Legends EU has crazy, unbelievable and overpowered powers as well and somehow I don't see you complaining about the crazy stuff they did there.

Grabbing a blaster bolt with the Force is called Force Freeze or Stasis, it was used in the old Legends continuity all the time, long before Disney showed it in Episode 7. Lifting your hand and reading their mind? Yeah, we have that in Legends too, it's called Mind/Memory Drain and thus also not Disney's idea. As for blowing up stuff from across the galaxy, oh boy, oh boy, I guess you never heard about the Hyperspace Canon from Legends continuity! And if you find Starkiller Base unrealistic, I better shouldn't tell you about the sentient planet that travelled across the galaxy at will called Zonama Sekot... yeah, that was Legends EU too, before Disney ever touched Star Wars. And don't get me started on the disaster that was Abeloth or Luke Skywalker's insane clone who was called Luuke Skywalker.

Every single thing you mentioned has literally been covered before in the Star Wars mythos. Sure, Legends continuity might have named it differently in some occasions, but the concepts come down to the same thing. So Disney didn't come up with all of that, it's been in Star Wars before Disney even thought of buying the franchise. It was all part of the Expanded Universe, which people praise as if it was flawless and perfect, but absolutely was not.
...schooled.

LordDelectus
12.17.2019 , 09:25 PM | #64
I would love to see the time logged references of which you speak. A good 3-4 years passed before Disney did anything. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of hate sent their way. If it had been so I would have recalled it the same way I held contempt for prequel haters.

The made a choice and they can reap the fruits of their decisions, good or bad.

I hope you enjoy the Rise of Skywalker. I bet it is gonna be a real gem.

Quote: Originally Posted by QuiDonJorn View Post
LOL, I was about to say the same thing.
All these anti-Disney SW people are absolute babies.
Seriously, from all my reading on the interwebz in the last four years I can only conclude that they all had just decided to hate it just as soon as George sold it.

Oh, and...

...schooled.

Monumenta
12.23.2019 , 04:19 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by LordDelectus View Post
I would love to see the time logged references of which you speak. A good 3-4 years passed before Disney did anything. I don't recall seeing a whole lot of hate sent their way. If it had been so I would have recalled it the same way I held contempt for prequel haters.

The made a choice and they can reap the fruits of their decisions, good or bad.

I hope you enjoy the Rise of Skywalker. I bet it is gonna be a real gem.
I first heard people irrationally hating on Star Wars and Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy when the Disney deal was announced before it even happened and it sounds exactly the same now. Prequel haters were quite different although just as silly.

Personally I think Attack of the Clones and The Last Jedi are in a solid tie for worst Star Wars picture of all time with Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure the runner up.

Tofu_Shark
12.28.2019 , 03:57 PM | #66
I think it's hilarious that most of the people that are pro-Disney are just throwing name-calling, ad hominem attacks, and slippery slopes for their arguments. It only proves they don't have a leg to stand on. I thank those who share my position in voicing their agreement and reasons why they do. I also commend those few with opposing viewpoints who took the higher ground and actually made reasoned arguments.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Small things that have absolutely no major consequences for the entirety of the game or the lore of it, but because OP has an obsession on this subject, it's a problem. This wouldn't even have been a problem if the OP didn't make one out of it, which again proves and shows that the entire divide between the Legends EU and Disney canon is completely and utterly artificial. It's a problem because people make a problem out of it where there was none before. The Legends EU and Disney canon can quietly exist side by side and even merrily intertwine, but no, a few butthurts have to make an issue out of it because they don't like it. What's next? People who are on a diet will forbid others from eating cookies and chocolate?
They constantly rewrite and contradict the EU. There is no way they can mix the two without asspulls and a huge backlash.

There is a problem, and gaslighting EU fans doesn't make it nonexistent. Separate and unequal, that's how the two universes will and should always be. I waited with anticipation for TFA and was disappointed and insulted with how Disney squandered its resources after seeing it and hearing the remarks that they'd rather throw away an entire established fanbase (a moronic marketing decision) and spit on the material they were chosen to take care of for future generations. I've yet to see Disney surpass my much lower expectations for Star Wars since (even The Mandalorian).

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Oh, and creating a Force Storm out of nowhere in space that swallows up a whole fleet of ships and teleports Luke Skywalker from Coruscant across the galaxy to Palpatine Reborn like happened in the Dark Empire comics from old EU continuity, that's all fine and good then? Legends EU has crazy, unbelievable and overpowered powers as well and somehow I don't see you complaining about the crazy stuff they did there.

Grabbing a blaster bolt with the Force is called Force Freeze or Stasis, it was used in the old Legends continuity all the time, long before Disney showed it in Episode 7. Lifting your hand and reading their mind? Yeah, we have that in Legends too, it's called Mind/Memory Drain and thus also not Disney's idea. As for blowing up stuff from across the galaxy, oh boy, oh boy, I guess you never heard about the Hyperspace Canon from Legends continuity! And if you find Starkiller Base unrealistic, I better shouldn't tell you about the sentient planet that travelled across the galaxy at will called Zonama Sekot... yeah, that was Legends EU too, before Disney ever touched Star Wars. And don't get me started on the disaster that was Abeloth or Luke Skywalker's insane clone who was called Luuke Skywalker.

Every single thing you mentioned has literally been covered before in the Star Wars mythos. Sure, Legends continuity might have named it differently in some occasions, but the concepts come down to the same thing. So Disney didn't come up with all of that, it's been in Star Wars before Disney even thought of buying the franchise. It was all part of the Expanded Universe, which people praise as if it was flawless and perfect, but absolutely was not.
As outlandish as some EU elements are, most of the seem to make sense or are at least plausible within the universe. They don't utterly break the suspension of disbelief like Disney has done. There wasn't a single time I was pulled out of the EU and said, "wait, that's utterly ridiculous! That could never happen!" or "Why would they do that? They would never do that!"

Who the hell decided to keep the entire New Republic fleet above the capital world so it could be taken out with one swift stroke? Who decided to disband the military after the New Republic assumed control of the galaxy? Who said touching a frakking lightsaber or having your mind penetrated was enough to gain abilities in the Force? Who's heroine has had utterly no faults and one that wasn't expounded on that could've made an interesting weakness? How could a scavenger best someone trained in the Jedi arts in lightsaber combat without any formal training? What kind of commander doesn't tell their officers what their escape plan is in their darkest hour. How the hell can you stop a blaster bolt with the Force? (That's not how the Force works!) Why would a villain act like a child, have a temper tantrum, and destroy equipment instead doing something that would strike fear in his subordinates, such as torturing or killing then? That's not someone to be feared! How the hell does the grandmaster of the Jedi Order, who redeemed his father, the scourge of the galaxy, give up on his nephew, the most gifted person in the Force since himself, because he was struggling with the dark side? Since when the hell can you jump to hyperspace within the atmosphere of a planet or the hangar of a ship, or jump into another ship? Why didn't the Rebels just take out the Death Star and Imperial Fleet with kamikaze hyperspace jumpers? How could someone with no training in the Force survive in a vacuum and whisk themselves back onto the ship they were blown off of?

I'm tired, I could go on.

I never said the EU was perfect, but I prefer its disorganized mess of patchwork compared to Disney's organized, nonsensical, unbelievable, plane that crashed into a ship that caused it to run aground onto a train track, causing a trainwreck that caused a 50-car pileup way of running the universe.
If I've been helpful or you liked my post, click my referral link
Also if you just want some free stuff.
Of course, I get something out of it too.

AarenJ
12.30.2019 , 03:14 AM | #67
Anyone want some popcorn? I've got sweet, salted or buttered.

DarkTergon
01.01.2020 , 03:14 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by AarenJ View Post
Anyone want some popcorn? I've got sweet, salted or buttered.
I'll take buttered, there's too much salt on the thread already, people are going to start having heart attacks
You know you can't fix an idiot, turns out you can't quarantine them either!!!
Feel free to click the link and get all the usual goodies
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

DarthDymond
01.01.2020 , 10:06 PM | #69
/disagree

I've enjoyed the New Canon's updated "takes" on many Legends / old EU characters, locations, etc., such as Thrawn, TIE Defenders, Death Watch, Ilum, and so on. I think this game introducing a Legends-continuity take on some of the new content from the Canon is an excellent opportunity to put a potentially interesting spin on those elements. I'd love to see a Legends iteration of something like Ardennians, Tarre Vizsla, or Bracca.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

bassfu
01.08.2020 , 10:29 PM | #70
I'd rather they fix the janky canned animations they use in cutscenes than worry about nitpicking over whether some unnoticed remark had something to do with the new movies.