Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

Tofu_Shark
11.25.2019 , 07:59 PM | #1
It's come to my attention, Bioware, that you have slipped in references to Disney's Star Wars within the game. Outfits and weapons were toeing the line, this is sticking the tip of the nail over it:
Players, if you know of any others, please share them in this thread.

This game is every EU fan's last refuge from Disney. Here, we can pretend the EU was never relegated as non-canon and the sequel trilogy, those awful standalone movies, and the poor imitation of Battlefront never happened.

Please do not make any more references to Disney's Star Wars. Disney has no place in an EU game. Keep their stuff out of an EU game. You are playing with fire by putting the streams dangerously close together, to mix metaphors.

Edit
I'm fine with items and outfits, so long as no NPCs are ever wearing/equipped with them, as they have no impact on story, immersion, and game environment. If other players want to dress like Kylo Ren or Rey, by all means, go ahead. (Just stay the kriff out of my cutscenes.)
If I've been helpful or you liked my post, click my referral link
Also if you just want some free stuff.
Of course, I get something out of it too.

BelorfinSiana
11.25.2019 , 09:41 PM | #2
You're forgetting an obvious one. Crossguard lightsabers.
The Siana Legacy - Star Forge
Isharo Izark; Jorran Reynn; Aldo Fetmirna; Zelorfin; Valurin Raster; Mechinus; Belorfin (Siana); Lucîan

Tofu_Shark
11.25.2019 , 10:50 PM | #3
I mentioned outfits and weapons already. I'm talking about the sneakier stuff. Outfits and weapons are front and center because they're CM items. While the weapons are an eyesore, they have yet to affect lore.

Rebamcfan
11.26.2019 , 12:23 AM | #4
Personally, I´ve enjoyed the small references we´ve gotten with the game, like the Gatalentan tea. It´s not exactly ground-breaking, by that logic you could say Lucasfilm did wrong in adding Malachor to Rebels or so forth.
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg If I was helpful in any ways, feel free to use my referral link.

Tofu_Shark
11.26.2019 , 12:38 AM | #5
Well, it's clear you probably like Disney Star Wars then.

That's not the same. EU aspects aren't "sneaking" into Disney Star Wars. They are being reintroduced, and quite often not in the same form they were in the EU (Kessel, Malachor V, etc). Disney elements are being snuck into the EU. The EU and EU fans have nothing to gain from elements from Disney Star Wars creeping into the game. That stuff belongs in its own universe.

FlameYOL
11.26.2019 , 08:03 AM | #6
My biggest issue with this as a dual-canon fan is mostly in regards to timeline and lore, in regards to X being introduced to Legends through this game do we also take into consideration its Canonical story or merely what we know in Legends? I would assume the latter as that is how it has worked when introducing Legends into Canon.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

DakhathKilrathi
11.26.2019 , 08:20 AM | #7
The EU was never canon. That didn't change. They just put a new label on it and tried to define what pieces of media outside the films actually were canon. Prior to that, nothing outside of the films and TCW series was canon. Literally all they did was make things clearer and easier to understand.

So, again, the EU was never canon. If it was, the Clone Wars (the event, not the series) would have been the stupid crap referenced in the Thrawn novels rather than what we got. Among several other examples.

Personally, I'm a Star Wars fan. I'll never understand getting irrationally angry at parts of the story you don't like. I don't think Anakin's arc in the prequels was the best, but I can still have fun with it. It's all Star Wars.

Tofu_Shark
11.26.2019 , 10:44 AM | #8
It's not irrational. It's about artistic integrity, which when it comes to Star Wars, Disney doesn't have a shred of. When Lucas' companies worked on Star Wars, they at least gave a damn about the universe they were dictating the whims of. Yeah, they wanted to make money too, but it wasn't their only objective.

Ollmich
11.26.2019 , 11:46 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DakhathKilrathi View Post
The EU was never canon. That didn't change. They just put a new label on it and tried to define what pieces of media outside the films actually were canon. Prior to that, nothing outside of the films and TCW series was canon.
When people say that EU is no longer a canon they mean that EU stuff should no longer be taken under consideration when new Star Wars content is created. Movies and TV shows could disregard EU, yes, but new books, games, comics couldn’t (except for stuff like Jeffrey Brown’s books, or Visionaries, etc – those could disregard anything including movies). It makes it canon. On certain level. C-level.

More importantly, EU was constantly developing as a continuity. Now it doesn't, and that's exactly what EU fans are not happy about.

I can understand where OP is going from. For me new canon is irreversibly poisoned with “unoriginal trilogy”, and I prefer thinking that pre-2014 G, C canons and Disney canon are separated versions of the Star Wars universe. That’s why I don’t like references to Disney stuff in SWTOR. Gatalenta… Holdo… TLJ… Ugh.

I’m sure devs don’t think of the game as "EU fan's last refuge" as some of us do. And yet, we got Ossus as an explorable planet in JUS, not Gatalenta with a mention of amazing Ossan sauce. That’s something.

SteveTheCynic
11.26.2019 , 12:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ollmich View Post
I’m sure devs don’t think of the game as "EU fan's last refuge" as some of us do.
They may even have contractual reasons to avoid thinking of it as such.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language