Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lord_Thorne
09.05.2018 , 05:08 PM | #6161
@Antonine
Spoiler

Prompt: Enemies to Friends (well, kind of)

Note for poignancy...
Spoiler

Spoiler
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.

"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!"

frauzet
09.08.2018 , 06:42 AM | #6162
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of September 7, 2018

How Hard Can It Be? Words usually uttered before discovering exactly how hard it can be. When has your character underestimated a situation? What thing looked easy then turned out to be less so? How did your character handle it? Did they rise to the occasion? Realize their error? Back out and try again? Fail completely? All of the above? Be as humorous or serious as you like, but this week have your character discover that the easy thing is, in fact, rather more difficult than they expected.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Parenthood - Many of our characters either have issues with their parents, are parents themselves, or both. Parents can make things complicated, whether it’s simply the generational gap or the fact that they aren’t great parents.

Overindulgence–It is possible to have too much of a good thing. The consequences vary, from a mere stomach ache to a hangover to an arrest record or worse. Some characters are more prone to overindulgence than others. Has your character overindulged? Maybe they were the voice of reason while everyone around them consumed to excess. What happened? Did the incident become an embarrassing story? Tell it!
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

taxidermis
09.12.2018 , 08:01 PM | #6163
This is my first attempt at using the prompts here though I've been a long time lurker. Prompt- "how hard can it be"

"How hard can that be?" she had grumbled to herself three standard hours earlier after her masters image faded from the ship's holoterminal. She was a sith lord! She had just slain a member of the dark council! And then Baras had the nerve to order her to a slimy little backwater called Quesh to wipe out some mediocre republic lapdogs. She had been highly offended.. wasn't this beneath her? Now, as she struggled to even draw breath under the weight of rocks and rubble, Ashtor'aa laughed bitterly to herself. "How hard indeed", she mused to herself, feeling the reserves of force energy holding the rocks back from crushing her start to waver.

Beside her, unconscious and bleeding, lay her best friend Vette. The force flickered weakly over her form, and her breathing seemed to be getting shallower by the minute. Ashtor'aa herself had stopped breathing altogether, drawing on the force to sustain herself once she realized that the air in their little pocket underneath the cave-in would soon expire.

Tears pooled in her eyes as she watched the life slowly fade from her companion. Then her eyes hardened... this could not be the end. She had come too far to be snuffed out this easily. Drawing deep into herself she found an untapped power and will to live. Channeling it into her rage at being betrayed and her worry for her friend she thrust her arms outwards. Dust and boulders exploded violently outward in a mushroom cloud of dust that floated upwards to reveal two figures clad in black robes.

Ashtor'aa wavered, then crumpled too her side. In her oxygen starved vision the last thing she saw before blacking out was the two figures examining her with curiosity. Murmured debates reached her ears but sleep beckoned and could not be ignored. Her eyes fluttered and the darkness took over.

The next two days were a blur of pain and struggle. She swore she had walked for miles half dragging, half carrying the limp form of her twilek friend. Life still flickered within her but it was faint and almost impossible to see. The sun beat down on the pair, as noxious gasses made every breath a jagged rasp. She stumbled, and fell, dropping vette to the ground. Laying beside her, Ashtor'aa felt a tear streak down her grimy cheek as she blinked up at the green/orange sky. The pain, the betrayal, it was all too much. She could not take one more step. All she wanted to do was sleep, and never wake up. "Im so sorry", she mouthed to Vette. "I'm so sorry...." as the roar of a speeder caught her ears.
RIP Begeren. new beginnings on harbinger

Lady_Thorne
09.14.2018 , 11:31 PM | #6164
Prompt: How Hard Can It Be?
Captain Maioni Savage & Ltieutenant Aric Jorgan, no spoilers I can think of, since it isn't really [TOR] story based.

Spoiler

frauzet
09.15.2018 , 09:13 AM | #6165
@taxidermis. Welcome to the thread!
That has always been one of my favorite scenes in-game. Apart from the feeling of being betrayed, the fear for Vette's life is always a huge part of it.

@Lady_Thorne: How boring life would be without siblings

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of September 14, 2018

What’s the Worst That Could Happen? Inevitably, not what actually happens. In life the real result may more often be better, but as writers it’s far more fun to make it worse. This week, put your character in a situation they’re sure they can handle, and make it worse. What’s the worst that could happen? Just let me get started.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Loneliness and Solitude - Our characters end up with crews of interesting folks, but that doesn’t mean they never feel lonely. When you’re up against some of the biggest forces in the galaxy, it’s hard not to feel alone. That said, sometimes being alone is a blessing - some well-deserved solitude is a wonderful thing when you need it. Write about a time in which your character felt lonely - or when they finally got some time to themselves.

Small Victories–Not every success has to be a big one. The world (or galaxy, or civilization) doesn’t need to be saved from certain destruction every day. Somedays it’s the little things that matter. Your character’s child, who’s been struggling with something, finally gets it. The friend who’s always late, isn’t. The minor repair really was minor. Maybe the toast landed butter-side up. This week, celebrate a small victory with your character. The big ones might be more dramatic, but it’s the little ones that keep them going.

As a reminder, it's okay to use any prompt you like or even no prompt at all.
If you do have an idea for a prompt, feel free to pm me, and I'll submit it to Striges over on the SFWC tumblr.

Feldraeth
09.22.2018 , 03:03 PM | #6166
Hey everyone, it's been some time since I was last here.

Here's a post for this week's thread I wrote this afternoon.

Prompt: What’s the worst that could happen?, Sight
Title: A Total Blue Milk Run
Perspective: Major Kadrhian, Republic Juggernaut
Word Count 1300
Spoilers: Trooper Act III, Trooper Companions, Character from Trooper Quesh
Warning: Mild use of profanity, minor nudity

Spoiler

And as a longstanding feature from that past, the infamous double post.

Prompt: Allies, Turning Points, Sacrifice
Title: A-77
Perspective: Major Kadrhian, Republic Juggernaut
Word Count: 3115
Spoilers: Trooper Act III, Trooper Companions, Character from Trooper Quesh
Spoiler

Lady_Thorne
09.22.2018 , 11:31 PM | #6167
Quote: Originally Posted by Feldraeth View Post
Hey everyone, it's been some time since I was last here.

Here's a post for this week's thread I wrote this afternoon.

Prompt: What’s the worst that could happen?, Sight
Title: A Total Blue Milk Run

&

Prompt: Allies, Turning Points, Sacrifice
Title: A-77
Nice work, Soldier!

I appreciate how you came to do a job that couldn't be done.

I like how you saved the "Kobiashi Maru" (Yes, I know. Hush.)

Minor spoiler for A-77, but that's probably out of the bag if you read the stories posted above.
Spoiler

frauzet
09.23.2018 , 12:57 AM | #6168
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of September 21, 2018

It’s All Downhill From Here! The situation is handled, crisis solved or averted, nothing left but the cleanup and a smooth glide to the end. On the other hand, maybe it’s more like a downhill slide into a swamp or off a cliff. It’s fun to shake up reader–and character–expectations. Throw up some roadblocks or dig some potholes in their easy ride. Make that smooth landing less so. Complete disaster optional.

Fame - Your characters all end their class stories with a lot of newfound fame. How do they deal with it? Being recognized on the street, being on the news, finding themselves mentioned all over the HoloNet - it’s got to be stressful. Alternatively, what if your characters met another famous person and had to deal with being starstruck?

Exploration - You could travel your whole life and not see all of Earth - so what about people who have an entire galaxy to explore? What new things have your characters uncovered along their journeys? Thank you @brightephemera for this prompt.