Doc Is Coming Back <3 (This Is a Positive Thread)

Ylliarus

Having watched my wife play through the Doc romance (never again, she said), I would have to describe his behaviour as blatant sexual harassment. He reminds me of those disgraced 1970's DJ's in the UK who, after receiving a jail sentence for gross sexual misconduct and lewd behaviour many years later, would claim "it was all just harmless banter in those days."

There's a reason the #MeToo movement so quickly gained traction, Doc would be immediately suspended in any decent workplace for the way he behaves, and correctly so.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were Doc a real person, his behavior would likely not be tolerated in a workplace, yes. It's going a bit far and can make people uncomfortable.

However, he's not a real person, he's a character in a video game, and his behavior is part of the reason at least I like him. It's hilarious to watch him try and fail at hitting on every woman in the room, and it's just as funny to come up with great comebacks when he's flirting with the PC. :D he also has some nice personal growth during the romance, which partially possible because he is so over the top at the beginning.

Edited by Seireeni

Having watched my wife play through the Doc romance (never again, she said), I would have to describe his behaviour as blatant sexual harassment. He reminds me of those disgraced 1970's DJ's in the UK who, after receiving a jail sentence for gross sexual misconduct and lewd behaviour many years later, would claim "it was all just harmless banter in those days."

There's a reason the #MeToo movement so quickly gained traction, Doc would be immediately suspended in any decent workplace for the way he behaves, and correctly so.

I don't think there are enough facepalms and eyerolls in the universe for this comment. Making flirty comments/verbal advances and sexually touching someone inappropriately are two different things. I don't once recall Doc behaving physically inappropriately and if you don't like his flirts you can stop him pretty quickly by choosing the right answers.

SWTOR allows a number of what could be considered sexist behaviours especially for male players (the most prominent being bikini style outfits only available to place on female characters leading to countless scantilly-clad-slave-style female companions seen everywhere in the game) but so what? It's the players fantasy choice. It's a game after all not real life. If you are offended so badly by Doc & the Doc romance a) this is not the thread for you and b) this is not the game for you.

I like that straight female players get the option of a flirty male companion like Doc who pursues the player character. When I've played through as I've said previously, I see most of what Doc says is bravado covering up his complete insecurity of being besotted with the Knight from their first meeting (if you play through the romance).

My ignore list is getting longer by the day. Do people just sit at their computers thinking up more and more ridiculous ways to piss people off?

Edited by Sarova

Agree completely!

As a straight female player, there are hardly any worthwhile romances in the game as it is - especially in vanilla. I liked Doc the best because -- well I like being flirted with!! Also, I liked that he pursues the knight unlike the other romances are initiated by the player. Quinn is a good example of the player throwing herself at him until he finally reciprocates. It was refreshing to be the one getting pursued for a change. Now, I am not discounting "sweet on the eyes" Theron, who is my 2nd favorite, but at least Doc doesn't do things to jeopardize the relationship (*coughs* Theron, *coughs* Quinn).

Now I won't get into the agent one because it always bothered me that they gave female players a love interest with some issue so I always held back with Vector's romance - yes it "bugged" me! The warrior one - yikes yea give a handsome companion who betrays her trust and love. I guess they liked that one because the writers decided to have Theron do that to everyone!

At least I don't have to worry about Doc doing those things. I will take lots of loving and flirting any day over some of the other companion options we got. Plus we have lots of time to cultivate that relationship. At least we didn't get him on Hoth and have to rush through the relationship like with other companions.

Oh and Doc's default look is the best in my opinion!

Didn't think about it until now but I just realized Doc and Quinn are complete opposites. Was this intentional to contrast the Knight and Warrior or just coincidental?

Whenever I play through with Quinn he is the one initiating, he's just not as forward about it as Doc. He tiptoes around it. I like dragging it along because he will eventually break and "say what he means" and I like the way he handles it at that point. You can skip all of that and just throw yourself at him, of course.

I can attest to this. You can most definitely change the pacing of the romance depending on how you talk to him. My Jugg only flirted with him a little bit while my Mara came onto him pretty strong.

Edited by Ackerprincess

I don't think there are enough facepalms and eyerolls in the universe for this comment. Making flirty comments/verbal advances and sexually touching someone inappropriately are two different things. I don't once recall Doc behaving physically inappropriately and if you don't like his flirts you can stop him pretty quickly by choosing the right answers.

SWTOR allows a number of what could be considered sexist behaviours especially for male players (the most prominent being bikini style outfits only available to place on female characters leading to countless scantilly-clad-slave-style female companions seen everywhere in the game) but so what? It's the players fantasy choice. It's a game after all not real life. If you are offended so badly by Doc & the Doc romance a) this is not the thread for you and b) this is not the game for you.

I like that straight female players getting the option of a flirty male companion like Doc who pursues the player character is great. When I've played through as I've said previously, I see most of what Doc says is bravado covering up his complete insecurity of being besotted with the Knight from their first meeting (if you play through the romance).

My ignore list is getting longer by the day. Do people just sit at their computers thinking up more and more ridiculous ways to piss people off?

You seem completely ignorant of what sexual harassment actually is. You believe the only way to sexually harass someone is by touching them inappropriately? I think you need to educate yourself.

Doc behaves like he does because he's a pig, not because it's "bravado covering up insecurity", he's clearly been behaving like that well before he meets the Jedi Knight, with women he's not at all besotted with, so your comment makes no sense there either.

"This is not the thread for you"- it's a thread about Doc on a public discussion forum, if you want positive comments only take it to private chat.

"This is not the game for you"- thanks for the advice, but I have a great time playing this game and have no trouble ignoring Doc in-game, public forums are a separate issue entirely, again you made very little sense with your comment.

"This is not the thread for you"- it's a thread about Doc on a public discussion forum, if you want positive comments only take it to private chat.

Did you not notice the title: Doc Is Coming Back <3 (This Is a Positive Thread)

Which means this is for people that like Doc. For those that don't then make your own but at least be respectable to the people that have started this thread as a positive thread-not a negative one.

There have been other threads dealing with other companions that I did not like but out of respect for the person making the thread, especially when it was a positive one, I stayed out of and left it alone. There was no reason for me to make a statement about the companion in that kind of thread.

Edited by casirabit

I like that straight female players getting the option of a flirty male companion like Doc who pursues the player character is great. When I've played through as I've said previously, I see most of what Doc says is bravado covering up his complete insecurity of being besotted with the Knight from their first meeting (if you play through the romance).

What an incredible amount of vitriol directed at a guy who wants to see women treated with dignity. As a woman I'm grateful as hell for any man who stands up for us, considering how so few can be bothered. And let's face it, Doc is a prime candidate for a sexual harassment seminar; as Kira puts it, he's a "walking hormone" from the very beginning, before you're anything more than an attractive face to him. If you find that endearing, more power to you, but reasonable minds can certainly disagree on the subject. The same is true of all companions. For instance, I like Theron, but I know there are plenty of people on this forum who despise him and consider him an incompetent traitor. If I began a thread about him I would expect to hear that stated more than once. No problem. This is a space where people are meant to discuss/share/debate. To expect anything less is unrealistic, and, frankly, more than a little silly.

In the end the argument that it's "just a game" is specious at best, hypocritical at worst. That would suggest no one is allowed to have any opinion on how any of the NPCs act, which of course is patently absurd. Everyone posting on this forum is full of opinions on this topic; case in point, look at how upset you got to have one of your faves dissed. No, companions aren't real, but our interactions with them clearly matter to us, and we'll all have our say about it. People won't always like what you do--that's okay. You can still like it. As Elsa said, "Let it go." And let's celebrate the fact that there are nice guys out there who don't expect women to put up with a hostile environment. One for our side!

Which means this is for people that like Doc. For those that don't then make your own but at least be respectable to the people that have started this thread as a positive thread-not a negative one.

There have been other threads dealing with other companions that I did not like but out of respect for the person making the thread, especially when it was a positive one, I stayed out of and left it alone. There was no reason for me to make a statement about the companion in that kind of thread.

This is such a frustrating argument. I mean, maybe people who start threads should use secret code words to keep the undesirable element out. Come on. The amount of control people are trying to exert over threads is ridiculous. It's the official public forum for the game! Expect responses, laugh at the people who don't agree with you, and revel in the camaraderie with those who do. It's that simple.

Indeed. I do not understand why people who dislike certain companions/npcs have to add their unwanted opinions or veiled political agendas to the threads that are pro/for them. They are welcome to start their own hate/anti threads. Like you I stay out of threads that are for characters/companions I don't like or have any interest in.

Anyway, back on the topic of Doc.

Anyway!

What was Doc's letter again? 👀

Which letter did you mean? Did someone respond?

This is such a frustrating argument. I mean, maybe people who start threads should use secret code words to keep the undesirable element out. Come on. The amount of control people are trying to exert over threads is ridiculous. It's the official public forum for the game! Expect responses, laugh at the people who don't agree with you, and revel in the camaraderie with those who do. It's that simple.

I get where you're coming from and agree -- I'd prefer threads where we would simply talk about companions, whether we like them or not. As long as people criticize the companion, not the people who happen to like said companion, there can be civil discussion between people of differing views!

But I can also see the appeal of sometimes just chatting with other fans. It can get frustrating if you like a companion that's somewhat controversial and most of the attempts to talk about them end with personal attacks. I've seen people who like Quinn getting compared to people who sent love letters to Charles Manson, and claims that liking Arcann is somehow similar to liking Hitler. I can see why people would sometimes prefer to have a nice conversation without all that.

Anyway, I assume Esh was talking about the one he sent to a romanced knight during her carbonite nap. So, this one.

Indeed. I do not understand why people who dislike certain companions/npcs have to add their unwanted opinions or veiled political agendas to the threads that are pro/for them. They are welcome to start their own hate/anti threads. Like you I stay out of threads that are for characters/companions I don't like or have any interest in.

Anyway, back on the topic of Doc.

I agree with you and with Casira. I also think that the letter is a lovely one, and it was nice to see it again. I tried to find it, but seem to have misplaced it, so I'm glad Seireeni was able to share it, thank you. :)

Edited by Lunafox

Really people, why does it always have to end in bickering and fighting. If you don't like Doc you don't need to convince us why you're right. Same vice versa, of course. This is a positive thread, as the title clearly states, so if you insist on expressing criticism or hatred for the companion you're free to do it elsewhere or do it in such a way that it doesn't spark yet another fight. No one needs to convince anyone why they're right, for kriffin sake let's just stop this senseless forum bickering for once.

If you feel that Doc is a horrible character and person, if you view his behaviour as sexual harassment, then this thread is not for you as people here view Doc through a different light. Does that make your viewpoint wrong? No. But neither does it make ours wrong. But the title clearly states this is a thread meant for positivity, so please, can you respect that?

Really people, why does it always have to end in bickering and fighting. If you don't like Doc you don't need to convince us why you're right. Same vice versa, of course. This is a positive thread, as the title clearly states, so if you insist on expressing criticism or hatred for the companion you're free to do it elsewhere or do it in such a way that it doesn't spark yet another fight. No one needs to convince anyone why they're right, for kriffin sake let's just stop this senseless forum bickering for once.

If you feel that Doc is a horrible character and person, if you view his behaviour as sexual harassment, then this thread is not for you as people here view Doc through a different light. Does that make your viewpoint wrong? No. But neither does it make ours wrong. But the title clearly states this is a thread meant for positivity, so please, can you respect that?

Some people have no clue what respect means and try to turn something positive into their own personal negative agenda. There's a word for people like that...but I will refrain from further exasperating the issue.

But back to the positive topics...

I hope there is a really good reason as to why he didn't reach out sooner. It has been so long for these companion reunions and lately that have been awful. (Andronikas was terrible!! I absolutely hated that one). I sure hope the writers took into consideration that unless these people were living in a cave somewhere with zero technology that there is no way they could not know who we are by now.

I also hope that for those who romanced Theron - we gave out a galaxy wide message saying we loved him after Umbara. I think there should be a little drama about that and that Doc could say that was his reason for staying away. If we didn't romance anyone else, then he better have a really good and believable excuse.

What is your favorite Doc line?

If you think Doc's flirtations warrant a #MeToo you are living a very sheltered life. There is no touching, coercion, denigration or power imbalance. The knight is perfectly able to tell him to bug off without any repercussions. She is in charge. She can boot him off the ship if she wants. All of the power belongs to her, not him. My friends who participated in #MeToo were raped or had to quit jobs because their boss was trying to force them into a sexual relationship. Comparing a few flirts from an underling to that trivializes what they went through.

There are plenty of companion romances that do have real issues. It's all about power and who can refuse advances.

Vette is a slave.

Dark Jaesa is a student.

Quinn is a subordinate.

Pierce is a subordinate.

Kira is a student.

Ashara is a student.

Nadia is a student.

Elara is a subordinate.

Aric is a subordinate.

Raina is a subordinate.

Felix is a subordinate.

Then there are the ones in a gray area. Are they partners or employees?

Corso? Andronikos? Kaliyo? Mako?

Edited by Damask_Rose

I saw the main culprits doing exactly the same in two other threads today. Fortunately all three are now on my ignore list so I don't have to see their crap.

Back to Doc

"snack time can wait"

"you're not using Jedi mind tricks on me are you?......are you doing it right now? Don't answer that"!

"I'm fine...probably. How would I know if I wasn't"?

"Definitely and always. Are we married yet?"

There's also the bit when you're whole crew goes on a mission and Doc needs rescuing. When you rescue him and click him to talk to him after the cut scene, he tells you he wants to memorise what you look like. Typically brilliant Doc bravado to cover up the fact that he's injured and was nearly killed. I love that bit.

Edited by Sarova

I hope there is a really good reason as to why he didn't reach out sooner. It has been so long for these companion reunions and lately that have been awful. (Andronikas was terrible!! I absolutely hated that one). I sure hope the writers took into consideration that unless these people were living in a cave somewhere with zero technology that there is no way they could not know who we are by now.

My favorite lines are probably some of those he says when you're just out there adventuring and you click on him. There's one where he says something about getting job offers from "safe" workplaces and him responding them with something like "I tell them, 'No! I like getting shot at!'". :p And there's another one about how he's in the prime of his life and spends it with people who enjoy running around in exploding planets? I love that one too. :D

The comment about returns got me thinking, though -- what would be an acceptable reason to not reach out sooner?

• 5 weeks later...
Can I just say I am not a huge fan of Doc but I played through Ossus with a JK I've had for years that I had forgotten romanced him. I must say I found the reunion scenes to be very sweet and cute. I think I'm going to go back and do another run through of the original JK story and give Doc another chance because that reunion was adorable. :) Edited by BlueShiftRecall

Can I just say I am not a huge fan of Doc but I played through Ossus with a JK I've had for years that I had forgotten romanced him. I must say I found the reunion scenes to be very sweet and cute. I think I'm going to go back and do another run through of the original JK story and give Doc another chance because that reunion was adorable. :)

My JK isn't far off now, she was a little behind when Jedi Under Siege launched (Still at the start of Kotet). Almost done with Iokath, then just the traitor flashpoints to go then she can see her Doc. I can't wait, he was always one of my favs. I always felt he had a very Han like vibe about him, a bit of a player until meeting the one who makes him want to settle down. Doc to me is a classic person who has alwas been ridiculed his entire life and thus talks himself up because no one else will ... until he meets someine who sees through him and does.

Just my take on him.

So can't wait to see the reunion Ive been pushing through hard to get there

Edited by Suzsi

Can I just say I am not a huge fan of Doc but I played through Ossus with a JK I've had for years that I had forgotten romanced him. I must say I found the reunion scenes to be very sweet and cute. I think I'm going to go back and do another run through of the original JK story and give Doc another chance because that reunion was adorable. :)

I thought it was really good, especially the end part when you meet him on Odessen :) I'm glad they got the message about better reunions and I'm very glad the last part wasn't in any of the available spoilers. It was a lovely surprise. I really liked how they made Doc look a little bit older too and the best part

Doc makes a huge thing of saying how the Knight is the only woman who could make an honest man of him. Later, Doc makes a thing of saying he stayed true to his Knight (awww). I'm no fan of romancing any other companion if I have a class romance, so that part might get to a few of you who did. I really want to know what kind of quarters Dr Ogurobb found for them - I thought that was hilarious :D

I don't do any of the female romances, but of the male romance reunions, Doc's is probably the best so far (yes better than Quinn's and Aric's, my other favourite returns). But then we knew it would be; the devs love Doc!

I thought it was really good, especially the end part when you meet him on Odessen :) I'm glad they got the message about better reunions and I'm very glad the last part wasn't in any of the available spoilers. It was a lovely surprise. I really liked how they made Doc look a little bit older too and the best part

Doc makes a huge thing of saying how the Knight is the only woman who could make an honest man of him. Later, Doc makes a thing of saying he stayed true to his Knight (awww). I'm no fan of romancing any other companion if I have a class romance, so that part might get to a few of you who did. I really want to know what kind of quarters Dr Ogurobb found for them - I thought that was hilarious :D

I don't do any of the female romances, but of the male romance reunions, Doc's is probably the best so far (yes better than Quinn's and Aric's, my other favourite returns). But then we knew it would be; the devs love Doc!

Wait, better then Arics?! The best reunion so far?! Now I am really dying to seeee it. Those flashpoints cant go fast enough lol

And noo im not gunna read the spoiler... must not... im almost there!

Edited by Suzsi

I'm playing my other JK through to meet up with him and stay in his romance. My first one, sadly broke up with him. I really felt bad when he says the line about

fidelity and how he stayed faithful. Meanwhile, my Jedi was sleeping around with Theron. That was a good one devs - makes you think twice about the whole cheating thing, especially with a light 5 character!

Wait, better then Arics?! The best reunion so far?! Now I am really dying to seeee it. Those flashpoints cant go fast enough lol

And noo im not gunna read the spoiler... must not... im almost there!

Yes better than Aric's! And I loved Aric's return. Doc's return is just so well done considering it's Doc with all his bragging and bravado. If I have to have any issue it's with Docs new outfit - got rid of that as soon as I could (never liked that jacket style).

I'm playing my other JK through to meet up with him and stay in his romance. My first one, sadly broke up with him. I really felt bad when he says the line about

fidelity and how he stayed faithful. Meanwhile, my Jedi was sleeping around with Theron. That was a good one devs - makes you think twice about the whole cheating thing, especially with a light 5 character!

Indeed. I just knew that after the way Doc changed over the class story that he would

not cheat or give up on his Knight when she went missing and they would be true to that in his return. If I want to do the other romances I just make a new character rather than cheat

I'm glad Doc has gotten some love this time around --- and the scenes with him were cute ....

but I broke up with him, and got the break-up scene ---

wasn't too bad, he was sweet and I still like him ( Theron's break-up scene is much worse -- saw it on YouTube -- same one as before ... )

I stuck with Theron ....