gender and alignment best suited for each class story

jstankaroslo

Hi,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but with lots of new players, new outfits (it matters to me) I wish to know what you think of this.

I'm currently playing my second smuggler, and find female character more fitting, so this got me thinking.

What alignment, gender, body type and attitude is most enjoyable for each class?

My opinion:

Trooper

- dark side, playing as not exactly evil, but war experienced and ruthless. Job has to be done to win the war.

- female, body type 3 -FemShep voice! And commando has to be tough and strong

- attitude: my Havoc squad resembled Arnold's team from Predator -no uniforms, all intimidating punks/cowboys bad guys outlook

- AC: both fit

Smuggler

- neutral is most realistic, now I'm playing it dark side, but I'm on Coruscant yet, so don't know.

- female seems to be more fun. Slender type preferably

- attitude: merry pirate. Fancy clothes, don't take anything too seriously etc

- AC gunslinger fits better IMO

Jedi Knight

- light side, iconic hero. The story has epic moments and is designed that way. The epitome of Jediness, has to be good, modest and noble

- male, body type 3 -hero type

- as much Jedi as can be. It really fits. Modest clothes, gentle and noble face. Self sacrifice

- AC: Guardian

Jedi Consular

- I played it dark side, sort of behind the scenes manipulator. Ruthless and cunning, pretending wise. Sort of evil Gandalf -seemingly noble Jedi, in reality plays for himself

- Male, body type 3 or 4 -looks have to be deceiving, so jedi robes

- attitude: kind of old wizard outlook, but mercilessly destroying his enemies as enemies of the order or republic . Backstabbing when no one looks

- AC: Sage

Sith Warrior

played dark side female, but wasn't too much fun. So don't know. I heard light side male is fun?

Sith Inquisitor

no idea, didn't like the class

Bounty Hunter

- Neutral, with a bit backstory. Low levels -ruthless and blood-thirsty -want s to prove his bad reputation. In time becoming a bit bitter but softer. Killing the ones that cross him, but not for fun.

- male, body type 3, heavy armor, big gun. Thug type, the one that you wouldn't like to meet in a dark alley

- attitude: for money and honor. Prove that he's the best there is. A bit Wolverine type. Don't cross him, but has soft spots

AC: Powertech

Imperial Agent

- couldn't decide on alignment. Neutral with dark tendency was my gameplay, but it didn't fit well imo

- slim male or female should fit the James Bond stereotype

- attitude: the story is so varied that it is hard to decide. Stay loyal to the Empire? Play for yourself, build your own powerbase? Try to soften things up in the Empire? Attitude towards Sith? Or aliens? I definitely have to try this class again

AC: operative?

I'd love to know other opinions

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than alignment, I prefer a raison d'etre. I've tried the alignment choices and you get a vanilla lightside counselor or a Dark Jedi that's not fallen because they still need to follow the BW storyline.

Instead I come up with a basic motivation. A smuggler or bounty hunter could be all about the money. Decide if your BH kills for fun or refuses to kill unless paid. My smuggler will kill but only to prevent being stabbed in the back later on but maybe yours kills for revenge. I have two agents - one makes decisions based on what is best for the Empire and the other makes decisions based on personal power. My Sith Warrior is lightside but it wasn't based on alignment but rather to show others that you can fight for the Empire the "right way". Meanwhile my Sin is a pissed-off bit'ch who will kill civilians in yellow for the hell of it.

It's not as complete as playing RP with the whole backstory of how an agent is trying to take down the empire from the inside because 16 years ago the Emperor ordered the killing of her dad - a minor Moff blah blah blah but it does give a basis for making choices.

Rather than alignment, I prefer a raison d'etre. I've tried the alignment choices and you get a vanilla lightside counselor or a Dark Jedi that's not fallen because they still need to follow the BW storyline.

Instead I come up with a basic motivation. A smuggler or bounty hunter could be all about the money. Decide if your BH kills for fun or refuses to kill unless paid. My smuggler will kill but only to prevent being stabbed in the back later on but maybe yours kills for revenge. I have two agents - one makes decisions based on what is best for the Empire and the other makes decisions based on personal power. My Sith Warrior is lightside but it wasn't based on alignment but rather to show others that you can fight for the Empire the "right way". Meanwhile my Sin is a pissed-off bit'ch who will kill civilians in yellow for the hell of it.

It's not as complete as playing RP with the whole backstory of how an agent is trying to take down the empire from the inside because 16 years ago the Emperor ordered the killing of her dad - a minor Moff blah blah blah but it does give a basis for making choices.

I play in a very similar way. :)

Question is: what works best for each class? I had a huge fun playing my Trooper or my Jedi, but felt disapointed with my Sith Inquisitor (almost same as yours by the way). So based from experience I recommend dark side Trooper over the paragon like and so on as above. Whats your take on that?

As commented by others, characters should have a motive and set of ethics, not just dark/light side. For Agent, though, the story works best if they're able to re-evaluate their own morals after Chapter 2. The Agent needs to be truly affected by what he or she suffers through.

my:

Opérative healer is a woman (type 2), neutral, all the way to 55, there is an answer which must be DS and other LS because it make sense for the story line

Sith inq/Sorc is a woman (T2) DS, who manipulate people and kill on sight every Empire's enemy, she's a sith lord who was a slave and is a bit ..uppset :)

Jedi guardian is a woman (T2) LS, she'S the most good person in the galaxy, to protect and serve the Republic and the weak, i, sometimes, wonder what it would be if she met my sorcerer :p

Bounty hunter is a Man (T3) mostly LS, honor and money that's all and in love with Mako Ofc

The sniper is a woman (T2) DS, but in the way, she's a killer, she leaves her way trying to match the Empire's wishes. she doesn't care about the Sith and their religion, she's better than them, at the time she met D. Jadus, he'd killed her to teach her the respect for a dark council member

As you can see, i prefer woman char ::), but i feel it's better for this kind of class except the guardian may be, then

it has been said , it's more a behaviour than a real choice to be DS or LS, you are a wonderful person or the Joker in Swtor, it's all black or white, sometimes answers are a bit out of context or doesn't make sense in the situation.

I don't really think there's a best way to play it? Though I admit I have heavy preferences for what I do 8'D

Trooper

- neutral, does light side if he thinks it best and and ds if that/it's necessary to follow his orders

- male (varric voice *u*), cyborg body type 2

- attitude: dutiful and loyal to the republic, but... 8'D wearing the marshland ambusher dyed black and blue because who needs uniforms that looks better

- AC: he's a commando, but i almost went for vanguard

Smuggler

- i'm going for neutral but ls leaning. wants to make a profit, but also has standards

- went for cathar male... not a fan of the female voice tbh and nopenopenope to corso :|

- attitude: give me money but don't be too much of a douche (making fun of people's hairstyles totally doesn't count kthxbye) and try to be at least a little fashionable?

- went for scoundrel cause i love my operative healer :| i think both work fine, being well versed in medicine is always useful and having stealth seems like a good thing for a smuggler, but gunslingers look pretty sweet too.

Jedi Knight

- light side, though he starts occasionally slipping post chapter 2, especially when it's about traiTORS!!!!!11!!1! 8'D (yeah, he didn't take the whole mess on alderaan very well) or scourge is being a bad influence again.

- (female could be just as much of a hero :p) but mine is a dude, bt2. i imagine him as a tall and slim whirlwind of death.

- bundle of angst and issues plagued by anxiety and depression and survivor's guilt? 8'D ....and trying to be the perfect jedi, kind and helpful and self sacrificing most of the time. eventually gets a bit more pragmatic thanks to certain sith lords. and ends up happy with his barsen'thor gf (...my gf's toon)

- AC: sentinel (............Which may have been entirely down to my revan using double sabers cause that was the most convenient in kotor, imho)

Jedi Consular

- LIGHT SIDE or maybe sort of neutral sob ds makes me sad my poor jedi masters (duraaaaaaaas no 8C) (mine is ls but forever cranky and a lot more practical than my knight)

- male bt2 (yes, there might be a pattern here) mirialan

- attitude: mostly loyal jedi but super cranky forever. INSTEAD OF WEEPING AND WAILING WE COULD TRY DOING SOMETHING USEFUL >:|

- AC: shadow because i already have a sorc, but sage healer fits the story better from what i've seen.

Sith Warrior

- the game says ls but i honestly would consider him more neutral :| but then again i think the alignment system doesn't work too well anyway 8'D

- Male, body type 3 pureblood

- attitude: "oh hey i really am ridiculously good looking-- wannabe jedi? who, me? the party god blood knight who constantly sleeps around? ....huh. those jedi must be a lot more fun than i thought."

- AC: juggernaut. shien *u*

Sith Inquisitor

- LIGHT SIDE. not that i really consider mine that ls, again, alignment system doesn't work too well with some character concepts <.< but ehhhhhhhh dark side sounds like it would bore me out of my mind tbh :/

- male, bt2 -- would have gone for bt1 -- little sith! -- but it did weird things to the face i chose :/

- attitude: affection starved puppy with a streak of ruthlessness -- and also "change the empire for the better? um actually i just want power so people can't hurt me any more-- i mean! yes! of course! totally what we're planning to do! (welp how obvious is my crush oh no)". also HEALING!

- AC: sorcerer (healer) C8 still my fave class.

Bounty Hunter

- neutral, in it for the money but stars did you just make mako cry? i'm gonna end you >:|

- female :| the male has my least fave player character voice in the whole game ugh.

- attitude: am i getting paid for this? DID YOU JUST MAKE MAKO CRY >:C

AC: mercenary. i like the name better 8'D

Imperial Agent

- mine is technically (mostly) empire loyal neutral, but the game says ls further complicated by him having diplomacy and me once grinding up his ls points a bit for slightly better relics since he was ls 1 anyway

- bt2 dude. no fan of the female voice but am a fan of the male one and continue to like bt2 the best for dudes :'D

- attitude: loyal to the empire and, for the most part, the sith, other than a few decisions (like letting mia go on tatooine... he also ended up sparing ardun kothe but i imagine that went slightly different as the game shows since there was really no ic choice for me there.) (also went against jadus if that counts as disloyal to the sith?) eventually ends up on leaving though (or, well, being dragged away from it all by his cathar bh gf who is about 100% done with the empire and what it's done to him)

AC: operative healer *u*

i haven't played some that far so i can't really judge too well what i personally think works best/prefer tbh, and generally i try to decide on a character concept outside of the meh alignment system fairly early in the story and rp that throughout. though i admit i usually prefer ls, especially because at least empire side a lot of the ds decisions i see are basically "kick the puppy for the evulz" (hence why i'm no fan at all of a ds SI even though the SI, much as the story certainly isn't the objectively best, might be my favourite overall.)

on the other hand, making decisions strictly based on alignment may very well result in OOC decisions or stunting character growth and making things less interesting (so even my SI made some ds decisions). Was, so far, especially noticeable for me on my knight. Him doubling his ds points on balmorra alone (he went there with 350 and left with 700 i'm not even kidding) made things a lot more interesting because it actually shows him being affected by what happened in chapter 1, same for how he struggles with the incredibly responsibility he has in chapter 3 and makes more pragmatic/ds decisions because of that.

I play in a very similar way. :)

Question is: what works best for each class? I had a huge fun playing my Trooper or my Jedi, but felt disapointed with my Sith Inquisitor (almost same as yours by the way). So based from experience I recommend dark side Trooper over the paragon like and so on as above. Whats your take on that?

My Trooper does what is best for the Republic and is willing to make hard choices because that's what soldiers do.

All of my characters are female, either BT2 or 4, none are 3, I have 2 smugglers, both BT2 but that's just because it works for the characters I'm making. My vanguard and commando and my BH are all BT4. I refuse to do a female BT3.

They all do what is right for the character, not determined by light or dark side but what they think, how they feel, and it's all about their back stories. Yes I RP.

I do have jedi sentinel, jedi shadow, sith jugg, marauder, sorc, vanguard, commando, mercenary, gunslinger, scoundrel, operative. Again they are all female and there should be no archetype to each class.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

As commented by others, characters should have a motive and set of ethics, not just dark/light side. For Agent, though, the story works best if they're able to re-evaluate their own morals after Chapter 2. The Agent needs to be truly affected by what he or she suffers through.

Agreed, cause to me, End of Chapter 1 was a moral dilemma. Chapter 2 does give that (i loved the "voice in the head" parts) undercover mental mind job. Chapter 3 is the big payoff, though at the end, you REALLY have to pay attention and, in my opinion, do research before making the final important choices as there can/are 2 parts to the final decision.

Also, the Agent's HAVE to be affected throughout the entire storyline play through because the major impacts are, in my opinion, more major and impactful then all of the other Classes. I mean, sure the others do have some, but in my opinion, the Agent has the most and strongest impacts over any other class.

Edited by Altyrell

This is highly subjective, but my impressions were as follows:

SW: I felt male Sith race DS fit best. Not necessarily evil, but surely ruthless, which is well fit for the emperor's wraith. I also felt that the love triangle between Jessa and the Twilek companion (forgot her name) is nice.

Inquisitor: I felt that was fit for human female LS. LS also not necessarily goody-goody, but most LS decisions gives you more followers/influence. Also, being human goes inline with the heritage to lord Kalig (so either human or Sith).

BH: I fell it is race/gender neutrall here. I did not see Mako is love interest much.

Agent: I felt it is either male chiss or female human. LS and DS here are not key. It always feel side neutral. W.e gets the mission done.

Knight: male, LS. Fits the story most IMO.

Consular: I am inclined towards female, alien, LS.

All of my characters are female, either BT2 or 4, none are 3, I have 2 smugglers, both BT2 but that's just because it works for the characters I'm making. My vanguard and commando and my BH are all BT4. I refuse to do a female BT3.

They all do what is right for the character, not determined by light or dark side but what they think, how they feel, and it's all about their back stories. Yes I RP.

I do have jedi sentinel, jedi shadow, sith jugg, marauder, sorc, vanguard, commando, mercenary, gunslinger, scoundrel, operative. Again they are all female and there should be no archetype to each class.

Hey, not saying there is only one good way to play! Think of my thread more of like: you are a movie producer, and have to cast actors for your film. Who do you cast for Sith Warrior? Scrawny (body type 1) boy or girl don't fit best.

Not saying there couldn't be "Adventures of Skinny Juggernaut" movie, but it would not be a mainstream blockbuster :)

I had some GREAT characters in SWTOR, and also made some not-so-goood choices to my liking. Trying to figure out who had a blast playing what type of character.

Male LS Sith Warrior seems to be a prominnet and satisfying choice, as for now

Edited by jstankaroslo

Male - Light. Always go with that...all of my characters are that way, yours should be too.

Booooooooring.

21 characters:

LS Female Commando Twi'lek

LS Male Commando Cyborg

LS Male Gunslinger Cyborg

LS Female Vanguard Cyborg

DS Female Scoundrel Zabrak

DS Female Vanguard Cathar

DS Female Sage Cyborg

LS Female Sentinel Twi'lek

DS Female Sage Chiss

DS Male Guardian Pureblood Sith

LS Male Shadow Miraluka

DS Male Sorcerer Rattataki

LS Female Marauder Cathar

LS Male Assassin Cathar

DS Female Sorcerer Pureblood Sith

LS Female Operative Mirialan

LS Male Mercenary Twi'lek

DS Male Juggernaut Human

DS Female Powertech Cyborg

DS Male Sniper Chiss

LS Male Powertech Cathar

(One last space left open for potential new race.)

I wanted a variety of classes/races/sexes and certain ones were made spur of the moment, others with much forethought. (Though it seems my go-to race is Cyborg, followed by Cathar.)

First toon as Female type 3 twi'lek sentinel watchman. 1000% lightside and pure as the first winter snow. She told doc to kindly take his affections elsewhere. If they made satues of people she would be on the top of the list. If they ever let me be head of the council I'm sure satele shan would gladly step down.

Second toon was Male type 2 operative neutral healer, James freaking bond (more Daniel Craig less Sean Connery) with an ambiguous conscious.

third toon female type 4 human Vanguard trooper again 100% pure light side. FemShep (Jennifer Hale) saved the galaxy as an example of the human race..not as a bully out to get the job done. So my trooper is the same that and I just can't play evil chars that well, just feels odd.

Male sage healer type 1 miralukan 100% light side (see above)

Female type 2 cathar gunslinger, mostly light side, light hearted wise cracking freedom loving captain.

Male type 3 zabrak assassin dark side (in for a penny)

male type 3 sith pureblood maurader (annihilation) (see above, in for a pound).

male type 3 bounty hunter (LS) merc dps. Honor and money! (DS choices where not a blood thirsty savage or against the job).

Of them all the JK, Trooper, and Gunslinger were my more favorite chars. Voices on them were excellent and played well with their personalities. I could have seen Jennifer Hale doing female JK but would have run into herself too much as Shan so understood.

Male operative was great too but prefer the female chars for some reason.

Booooooooring.

21 characters:

LS Female Commando Twi'lek

LS Male Commando Cyborg

LS Male Gunslinger Cyborg

LS Female Vanguard Cyborg

DS Female Scoundrel Zabrak

DS Female Vanguard Cathar

DS Female Sage Cyborg

LS Female Sentinel Twi'lek

DS Female Sage Chiss

DS Male Guardian Pureblood Sith

LS Male Shadow Miraluka

DS Male Sorcerer Rattataki

LS Female Marauder Cathar

LS Male Assassin Cathar

DS Female Sorcerer Pureblood Sith

LS Female Operative Mirialan

LS Male Mercenary Twi'lek

DS Male Juggernaut Human

DS Female Powertech Cyborg

DS Male Sniper Chiss

LS Male Powertech Cathar

(One last space left open for potential new race.)

I wanted a variety of classes/races/sexes and certain ones were made spur of the moment, others with much forethought. (Though it seems my go-to race is Cyborg, followed by Cathar.)

Wow, lots of characters, lots of experience! Which of these you would rate most fun/fitting/enjoyable?

I think for many of them, it really doesn't matter.

That said - the male agent is far and away the best voice acting in the game. So, gotta play male there.

The male inquisitor is far and away the worst voice acting in the game - gotta go female there.

The male knight isn't very convincing during dark side choices (except for one pretty important one in act 2,) and so it's light side there.

Everything else? There's plenty of freedom that works however you wanna spin it.