What was the point of Imperial story in Taris?

ZakMorgan

Besides the morale and strategic locations factor, which people have already pointed out, there's ANOTHER reason the Republic wants Taris... though I think you only learn of it if you're a Sith Warrior (I certainly didn't see any reference to it in non-class Imperial quests). Spoilers of both it and SW class ahead:

As a Sith Warrior, you're sent to Taris to enact Darths Baras and Vengean Plan Zero, a preparation for all out war which has you take out the Republic's best generals. Four of those (known as the War Trust) are in Taris for some reason Baras doesn't know (and doesn't care).

As you fight through the 4 generals and their operations, you find out that the Trust is enacting Project Siantide, which consists on mining the remnants of the living creatures detroyed by Malak's bombardment, and then refininf and using them to produce Siantide power cells, which are 10 times as powerful as normal cells. Mind you, they don't have 10 times a normal cell's capacity, they emit 10 times the power.

If you know physics, this utterly useless on its own. If you use Star Wars logic this means ships travel 10 times as fast, shields absorb 10 times as much damage, and guns deal 10 times the damage.

I hope I got the spoiler tags working right... :rolleyes:

In warfare, psychological victories are just as important as a physical victory. If you can manage to demoralize an enemy force repeatedly, you'll have soldiers beginning to give up hope. You'll have halfhearted attacks from the enemy, you could at the most extreme have soldiers going AWOL.

Not to mention what's better: having the Republic use resources that inevitably build a planet back up? Or have them use resources... and then have whatever they built immediately destroyed or sabotaged? They'll either keep expending resources to rebuild what Imperials destroyed or finally declare Taris lost and leave it behind.

A victory for the Imperials for having the Republic, quite literally, waste resources on the planet as well as showing the Republic that the destruction the Empire wrought could never be mended.