Best Crew skills to get money in GTM

BIinkMoth

Scavenging, Archeology, and Bioanalysis if your just selling mats.

Underworld Trading and Slicing can make you money, but only when you crit when gathering and get the purple resource. Or in the case of Slicing you can also make money selling missions you get. But the price they sell for varies a lot based on which one you happen to get.

The first 3 are your best bet though. Especially because you can send crew members to gather, and you can also gather from nodes as you quest.

Edited by Marius_Xerxes

although each person has their own opinions.

I find that for money making Diplomacy for me is the best money making crew skill.

It is not simply opinion.

I have made little over 3 million credits in the past 2 weeks from the mats gained through Diplomacy.

But the GTM is more "Supply the Demand" anyway.

Knowing when to sell. If people know through GTM that they can buy cheaper from you, usually they will keep doing so.

Setting yourself a limit. A rock bottom price that you wont fall under.

In the bidding war of GTM people drive down an items value to practically nothing and no profit can be made from it.

For example. For nearly a week the Volatile Derelict Saberstaff was being sold at next to nothing. the lowest price wast 19000 credits.

Though it was tough to shift the Volatile Derelict Saberstaff's I had on me.

I managed to sell them for 100000 credits. around the normal price I get from them.

But the real trick to it is while outmaneuvering the rip-off merchants. Don't become one yourself.

I'm looking for 3 really good gathering skills that help make money in the GTM.

Scavenging.

With Scavenging materials in need by Armormechs, Armstechs and Cybertechs, I personally can never have too much Mythra/Turadium/Tri-Copper Flux goodness. Making a set of Blue armor plates & mods for an alt can burn through the best part of a stack of mid-grade materials.

Bio Analysis.

Some of the mid-grade bio mats can sell for a surprising amount. My best was 350k for a stack of Psychoactive Compound (gr5).

Archeology.

Everyone likes fancy saber crystals & schweet enhancements from Artifice and Synthweavers need arch mats for jedi mainstat augs.

Slicing.

This gets you raw creds from nodes, but the power of Slicing is in the grade nine missions Credit Drain and Unsliceable from which, if you luck out with a Crit, you will receive either mission sheets or Thermal Regulators.

In general, all the gathering crew skill (archeology, scavenging, and bioanalysis) materials sell on the GTM for more than the cost per unit to run missions to get them (they cost about 500 credits per unit to acquire via missions and they sell for roughly 1000 credits each on the GTM; some more, some less)

The mission skills (underworld trading, slicing, and treasure hunting) purple materials will generate profit. The blue materials you'll be lucky to recover half your investment per unit.

Diplomacy will generate profit off of blue and purple materials (blues are in more demand - they make the stims people buy)

Investigation is the "red-headed stepchild" of the mission skills to it's only supporting one craft skill and that craft skill only makes items for half the classes.

although each person has their own opinions.

I find that for money making Diplomacy for me is the best money making crew skill.

It is not simply opinion.

I have made little over 3 million credits in the past 2 weeks from the mats gained through Diplomacy.

Really? Diplomacy materials have been crashed on my server for months. Lucky you!

• 2 months later...
Really? Diplomacy materials have been crashed on my server for months. Lucky you!

thanks I think.

Though people try to undercut me I still sell.

Made just over 50 million creds in the months I been playing Swtor on Diplomacy.

If my time is not spent on levelling alts I make about 2 million creds a week.

The mission skills (underworld trading, slicing, and treasure hunting) purple materials will generate profit. The blue materials you'll be lucky to recover half your investment per unit.

Have blue UT mats taken a dive? It's been a while since I tried doing this, but the grade 2-3 blue UT mats used to sell like hotcakes, (probably purchased by Cybertechs gearing up their alts).

Edited by Khevar

Listen to the guys saying Diplomacy it's the truth the only reason to have another crew skill is when you run out of rich companion gift missions at max level. Wanna start a guild and a bunch of tabs couple of days on the GTN wanna support your guildies? Diplomacy. I'd say scavenging second maybe and just sell mats.

Have blue UT mats taken a dive? It's been a while since I tried doing this, but the grade 2-3 blue UT mats used to sell like hotcakes, (probably purchased by Cybertechs gearing up their alts).
Sorry I am talking about grade 9 stuff. I do not deal with lesser grades (except when I sell off materials from leveling an alt). Just a preference.

Why are people so afraid of undercutting them ? Is that some sort of plage ?
Undercutting who?

Why is so often in crafting "making profit" the number 1 reason to do any crafting at all ? And noit the customers' well-being ?
Capitalism. The GTN (and any MMO marketplace where buying and selling between players exists) is a good example of pure capitalism. Further, it is a chance to play at being Warren Buffet or Bill Gates; making lots of money because one can :D.

That being said, customer well-being and capitalism do co-exist in MMO player markets like the GTN. Remember that the GTN is a buyers' market. Prices may be set by the sellers but if the buyers don't buy then the price is too high (sorry for the rhyme :)). Those of us who do play the GTN mini-game on a regular basis know what pricing sells well (what a significant majority of buyers are willing to pay) and so sellers can maximize profits and be cognizant that customer satisfaction is part-and-parcel of the process. If sellers were not aware of customer well-being we would all be setting prices at ungodly amounts saying, "to hell with the buyers. If they want what I have they will pay my price."

Why is so often in crafting "making profit" the number 1 reason to do any crafting at all ? And noit the customers' well-being ?

Sometimes it can be difficult to do this. If you try to price low-to-mid range gear so that it is affordable to the brand-new player, a GTN speculator will purchase it and relist it for a higher price.

And of couse the higher priced gear still sells, as players with level 55s send plenty of credits to their leveling alts.

That said, I've seen plenty of helpful crafters. I remember some people handing out free gear to newbies during the first double-xp weekend. Crafters that I know personally make stuff for their friends and guildies for super cheap (sometimes free). Many crafters that know high level mods (69+) will craft the items in exchange for the raw materials + tip.

Edited by Khevar

yes, selling MK-9 Aug kits is profitable, but I find it better to have a cybertech make the MK9 components and either an Armormech or Armstech make the kits.

Isn't Synthweaving, with it's +5 to Crit, the best profession for making Kits?

My Armormech and Armstech don't have an equivalent companion to that bonus, but I certainly could be missing something.

Isn't Synthweaving, with it's +5 to Crit, the best profession for making Kits?

My Armormech and Armstech don't have an equivalent companion to that bonus, but I certainly could be missing something.

Trooper's Tanno Vik is +5 crit armormech

Smuggler's Corso Riggs is +5 crit armstech

That being said, taking into account the ship droid sensor units a JK with synthweaving is the best option (+5 crit from both kira, and ship droid).

Edited by psandak

Why are people so afraid of undercutting them ? Is that some sort of plage ?

depends on your point of view.

I been schooling a few people on how to make money off GTN.

Once you established a character on GTN. Being undercut is not really an issue because you still sell.

Once people know they can buy from you at a reasonable price they will keep coming to you.

If you get engrossed in the bidding war you kill your profits and wont be able to cover expenses.

I would say it more comes down to covering expenses and keep funding production than "making profit"

The rip off merchants are a BIG reason why you can make so much money off GTN.

depends on your point of view.

I been schooling a few people on how to make money off GTN.

Once you established a character on GTN. Being undercut is not really an issue because you still sell.

Once people know they can buy from you at a reasonable price they will keep coming to you.

If you get engrossed in the bidding war you kill your profits and wont be able to cover expenses.

I would say it more comes down to covering expenses and keep funding production than "making profit"

The rip off merchants are a BIG reason why you can make so much money off GTN.

Really? You contend that you can make a 'Brand' and people will look for your things on the market, and buy it, over cheaper option because they have purchased from you before?

Really?

Really? You contend that you can make a 'Brand' and people will look for your things on the market, and buy it, over cheaper option because they have purchased from you before?

Really?

I'm not sure I would go that far, but I would say that if one's pricing is consistent and reasonable then buyers will understand that one's pricing is "typical." Therefore buyers are more likely to buy at that typical price range, rather than vainly hoping for significantly less. In this small way, a seller can influence what is a buyer's market.

Really?

As a consumer I never pay attention to who is crafting things I purchase.

But as a crafter I do pay attention to my competition. So there's sort of a brand recognition on that side of things.

That being said, taking into account the ship droid sensor units a JK with synthweaving is the best option (+5 crit from both kira, and ship droid).

or if you are a consular (nadia (+10 efficiency) and the ship droid +5 crit- and I tend to get more from Nadia on my augments and MK-9 kits than I do on my ship droid)

Edited by ScarletBlaze

...or SW with synth - Jaesa +5 and ship droid. So, same thing. Six of one, half dozen of the other.