Is it worth getting a companion to lv 50 to farm heroics?

Mashugana

Does a level 50 companion make heroic farming go faster? I remember while leveling I could set my lv 50 companion to damage and watch them waste a heroic. It was much faster.

Now I have a boosted Sorc so all my companions are level 1. I thought about spending the money on GTN gifts to get Lana or HK-55 to lv 50 just for heroic farming for cash. Is it worth it?

Does a level 50 companion make heroic farming go faster? I remember while leveling I could set my lv 50 companion to damage and watch them waste a heroic. It was much faster.

Now I have a boosted Sorc so all my companions are level 1. I thought about spending the money on GTN gifts to get Lana or HK-55 to lv 50 just for heroic farming for cash. Is it worth it?

Depends. If you mean lowbie planets, especially DK and Korriban, no, not alt all, because despite Level Sync, you will be massively OP compared to how a lowbie character would be. If you mean highbie planets like Corellia/Ilum/Makeb, yeah, it might be worth spending some cash to get them above rank 1. Not necessarily all the way to 50, but to at least, say, 10.

~ 20 is about all you'd ever need for anything you can solo in this game.

Higher ranks only make it marginally faster, but that margin is very, very small. All the heroics go fast if you put your companion on DPS mode and use a rotation that does max DPS yourself.

If you know your rotations, interrupts , kill order & CDS, and have a grasp of mechanics, you'll be fine. - And if you don't know them all 100% it's very forgiving. - in fact your companion only makes it faster than doing it all alone.

Only reason to go beyond 20 is if you're struggling with something and just can't quite overcome it, or if you do a lot of crafting and need the crits. Save your credits, unless you've nothing better to spend them on. :)

GL

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I don't know about Heroics, but I love having a level 50 for crafting and rounding out FPs when someone leaves. A lot of times the comp is better than the player. I mainly PvP and craft for cash and have found that M1-4X and Pierce automatically gain exp when you complete a PvP match, and all the others gain from gathering missions.

I don't know about Heroics, but I love having a level 50 for crafting and rounding out FPs when someone leaves. A lot of times the comp is better than the player. I mainly PvP and craft for cash and have found that M1-4X and Pierce automatically gain exp when you complete a PvP match, and all the others gain from gathering missions.

Yeah, crafting and other crew skills definitely benefit from high-rank companions - they get faster AND get a better crit rate as they go up in rank. And for notionally harder content like group stuff, star fortress missions, and veteran / master chapters, a higher-rank companion is definitely a good thing. But for ordinary missions, meh.

Given their return criteria, it"s pretty reasonable that Pierce and 4X gain influence from you doing Warzones. 250 for a loss, 500 for a win. In cranking her Valor from 1 to the mid-sixties, my Commando ranked her 4X from around 27 to something like 46.

In my experience, having your companion to level 50 does speed up heroics, but not all that much. Basically, anything 20 or over is "adequate". At 50, my Risha can take out some enemies all by herself while I pick up drops.

Note - as a Sorcerer - if I recall - you can get Talos Drelik, Xalek, and/or Khem Val back through Alliance Alerts (after KoFE). They would have the same influence level as before when you get them back. So you may just want to do the Alerts rather than level up someone new.

~ 20 is about all you'd ever need for anything you can solo in this game.

There are things you *can* solo in this game (veteran flashpoints, event-heroics, uprisings, some master mode FPs), where you may need a bit more than lv 20 before *you'* can actually do it. And you feel an improvement all the way to 50. (Especially when the comps no longer need as much babysitting and heal through some of the aoe-damage)

Edited by Mubrak

Note - as a Sorcerer - if I recall - you can get Talos Drelik, Xalek, and/or Khem Val back through Alliance Alerts (after KoFE). They would have the same influence level as before when you get them back. So you may just want to do the Alerts rather than level up someone new.

.... and you can get any of your old companions back through the terminal in your Odessen base. They will have the influence level they had before KoFE.

You don't get back Khem Val. You get a different Dashade. I've only done that alert on one character, but she is a Commando, so the other Dashade came in at rank 1 anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It feels very doable, if not time wasting and arthritis inducing to get comps to 40, since just playing at cap for a few days will make you a millionaire.

Your companion is super tanky in such a state no matter which mode they are in, so if you don't need any healing, DPS is the best spec and they will wreck stuff. 50 is just for...well, I don't know, it costs like 1.3 million to do 40-50, and the difference is marginal, but I still plan to take Nadia to 50 if I ever see her again.

Edited by Viperswhip

Now that there will be mega servers, there will be more competition in the pvp instances, while you are running your heroics. So while it may be true that you can solo 2+ man heroics by yourself, you may want to have a level 50 companion if you plan to solo fellow players while doing heroics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got a few parse numbers in my guide to see the difference level makes. In general a companion that could solo 3 enemies can solo 4-5 at 50.

Companions don't level sync the same way a player does, so more presence does increase their stats on any planet. I'd recommend a dual blaster user or Shae vizla since they can swap targets faster than a melee and still do high damage.

I've got a few parse numbers in my guide to see the difference level makes. In general a companion that could solo 3 enemies can solo 4-5 at 50.

Companions don't level sync the same way a player does, so more presence does increase their stats on any planet. I'd recommend a dual blaster user or Shae vizla since they can swap targets faster than a melee and still do high damage.

WOW, very interesting, thanks ! :eek:

In my experience, having your companion to level 50 does speed up heroics, but not all that much. Basically, anything 20 or over is "adequate". At 50, my Risha can take out some enemies all by herself while I pick up drops.

But, to answer the original question, no, it's not worth it** to spend credits to level your companions to 50 JUST to do heroics. The companion should be level 20+ though.

If you do planetary heroics, you should get Alliance crates, which will have lots of companion gifts in them.

** "worth it" in this case, is open to discussion. It is, after all, only imaginary play money. I think it costs around 2 million credits to take a companion from around 20 to 50 using gifts purchased on the fleet.

Edited by JediQuaker