Quick question

Kankyudai

Hey All,

I started to playing this game about a month ago because I had neck surgery and it was a way of killing time while I was healing. This is my first MMORPG so the only thing I really did was the story part of the game and played pretty much solo and I got to level 60 doing that. When I completed the Revan missions I started trying PvP in warzones and doing some OPs missions. Before I go into either I make it known that I am new to this area of the game and more times than not I get someone with in the group calling me all sorts of names for being new and how I shouldn't be participating unless I "know" what I am doing. I have been reading the message boards and some of the guides out there about my class (Jedi Guardian Defense) but still how do you get experience doing the ops and PvP if people in game don't want you on their team until you are experienced.

I don't want to mess up others during these team type encounters by my lack of knowledge but I do want to continue playing while I am waiting for new story content to come out. Should I change my class, stay out of these zones until I am a more seasoned player, just continue to play solo or just ignore and try to get experience? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Kankyudai

Basically, I'd say ignore the ******es and keep doing PvP and ops.

I assume you're going through Group Finder and/or the PvP queues. These are mostly there, IMHO, to allow people who don't have a regular group or guild to play with, to have some fun and gain experience. Those people who complain about your lack of experience in a PUG need to either get into a guild and do those things with a known group, or shut up and realize that you will get inexperienced players in a freakin' PUG!

Group-nazies - taking the fun out of gaming. :)

I assume you're going through Group Finder and/or the PvP queues. These are mostly there, IMHO, to allow people who don't have a regular group or guild to play with, to have some fun and gain experience. Those people who complain about your lack of experience in a PUG need to either get into a guild and do those things with a known group, or shut up and realize that you will get inexperienced players in a freakin' PUG!

Hey JediQuaker,

That is pretty much my stance on it but wanted to see if my lack of experience is ruining another person game playing experience. I am relatively new, not only SWTOR but playing MMORPG's in general. Learning that to be a proper tank is a little more then hack/slash repeat. Anyway thanks for the replying

I don't want to mess up others during these team type encounters by my lack of knowledge but I do want to continue playing while I am waiting for new story content to come out. Should I change my class, stay out of these zones until I am a more seasoned player, just continue to play solo or just ignore and try to get experience? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It can be a good thing to find a friendly guild to do the content with. Check the server forums for a guild that recruits and gladly takes in new players.

I can also advice you to try the content as a DPS before you tank, it can be a good thing to see how the tank handles the bosses before trying it yourself :tran_smile:

It can be a good thing to find a friendly guild to do the content with. Check the server forums for a guild that recruits and gladly takes in new players.

I can also advice you to try the content as a DPS before you tank, it can be a good thing to see how the tank handles the bosses before trying it yourself :tran_smile:

Thanks Icestar... It is hard to have people understand that even though I hit level 60 I am still very new in a lot of ways. They see tank lvl 60 and they assume but hey you know what they say about assuming :). I appreciate your input I have been thinking of switching from tank but have a lot of gear invested in him. Thanks!

Waiting so long to do group content kind of puts you at a disadvantage. I suggest either swapping to DPS spec for a while or make a new toon and start the group stuff earlier. in general, folks are more tolerant early on, as they'll assume at lv 60, you know what you're doing (despite this x12 XP thing/KDY that shows otherwise).

As alternative, if you can find a guild to take you through content while you learn to tank, go with that.

This, mostly.

Just another unfortunate side-effect of internet anonymity.

If someone says in chat that they are looking for an experienced tank or that they want someone that knows the fights then maybe you sit that out, but group finder and unranked warzone queues? Those are there for everybody.

If the jerks don't like it, then too bad. They are the ones that need to change what they are doing if they do not like it.

Edited by Mithros

I appreciate your input I have been thinking of switching from tank but have a lot of gear invested in him. Thanks!

If you have not completed Ziost you can get free blue DPS gear from that questline, it is enough to enter all SM OPS and HM FPs.

Hey All

Thanks for your replies greatly appreciated... I did start a new character so we will see how it shakes out. I think mostly will ignore those who comment and just do my best while I am learning the intricacies of tanking

Also, I suggest joining a guild that has some experience characters of your class. They can help with explaining things to you, making sure your gear is correct, you have a good rotation of your abilities, etc (also, be flexible about installing a voice chat system, people are much more willing to explain things over voice then by typing, even though I'm typing this on a forum... :p). Also, during the groupfinder days, feel free to volunteer to join groups that form on fleet for the days that it is not Ravagers or Temple of Sacrifice. As those ops are level 60, they are tougher and have a smaller margin for error. The other ones are really easy on SM for level 60s, so if you explain you are new, chances are no one will mind.

Also, for PVP, learn how bolster works and get PVP gear. Will make things go much better for you.

Hey All

Thanks for your replies greatly appreciated... I did start a new character so we will see how it shakes out. I think mostly will ignore those who comment and just do my best while I am learning the intricacies of tanking

Remember that the gear you have "invested" in your first character will need to be updated in a few weeks when you start the expansion.

A new character is a good thing, it can help you learn the game.

Edited by Icestar

Remember that the gear you have "invested" in your first character will need to be updated in a few weeks when you start the expansion.

A new character is a good thing, it can help you learn the game.

Very good point... Thanks!

Anyone who gets mad when you make mistakes is probably forgetting that they were new and sucked at one point as well. Forget them and have fun. You play the game they way you like. If they have issues then they should help you rather than scold you.

Anyone who gets mad when you make mistakes is probably forgetting that they were new and sucked at one point as well. Forget them and have fun. You play the game they way you like. If they have issues then they should help you rather than scold you.

Well put and thanks :)... I mean I get the aspect that people want to win but in the end this isnt life or death it is supposed to be fun