The reasons this game is doing so well and better than expected.

Klarick

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

- Immersive game play and environments.

- SWTOR killed "the Grind" that plagues so many MMO's.

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers!

- In SWTOR the leveling process is FUN and not a chore.

- Voice-Acted questing. Incredibly well done.

- Smooth Launch! Fairly unusual in this business but BW pulled it off.

- If its this good at launch, imagine SWTOR in a year! AMAZING!

Edited by Klarick

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Fluid Combat with clashing Lightsabers![/Quote]

- It's still a grind only covered up by voice acting

- Combat is not fluid in case you missed the 3 huge combat delay threads that even Bioware acknowledges exists.

I'm just curious. What game of the year awards? No one is going to give a GOTY to a game that was not launched early enough to be reviewed.

Well unless it was the only MMO release in the year so you won competition by default, so congratulations on winning no other competition I quess.

I would like a link to these 'numerous awards' tho.

Edited by Sohtaraz

If it didn't have the Star Wars tag on it and obvious title refference to the KOTOR games I doubt swtor would have even half the population it did the past 2-3 weeks.

Labels also won't keep people playing, I'd say it's still way to early to deem it a success.

It's doing well, for now.

By now we all know about the numerous Game of the Year awards already won by SWTOR, and we have either read reviews, or heard on TV (like G4TV), just how awesome this game is. We also know that SWTOR has broken the record for pre-order sales and has set a bar that is darn near unreachable by most developers. We get it. The game rocks. But why? What did Bioware accomplish that has this game skyrocketing so quickly?

- Story Driven MMO. People are simply tired of WoW and its many clones (Rift...etc).

- Character Development. You begin your development at level 1 not at the end cap level.

- In SWTOR "The Real Game" starts at level 1. Most MMO's the real game doesnt start until end-cap.

So true, I never had this much fun "leveling" in any game, it is on par with western stylesingle player RPG's and I love it, added bonus,comes with multiplayer stuff.

I'm just curious. What game of the year awards? No one is going to give a GOTY to a game that was not launched early enough to be reviewed.

Well unless it was the only MMO release in the year so you won competition by default, so congratulations on winning no other competition I quess.

I would like a link to these 'numerous awards' tho.

Bro.

http://www.swtor.com/awards

So hard. :p

Well that pretty well covered all the PR talking points....

We'll see where it is in 60 days and if this is all spin or something real. Personally it looks like massive amounts of PR and spin.

Lolwut? You're denying this game has voice acting and is a story-driven MMORPG? Cos that's more or less all OP is claiming. All these threads claiming otherwise (if any exist, I don't think you even read what OP wrote tbh) would prove what I said even more ^.^

What he's saying is that the game has GOOD voice acting (Hence the constantly reused lines.) for example. The issues with the seemingly fluid combat were already pointed out. TOR killing the grind is flat out wrong. Leveling being fun is subjective nonsense. Immersion is, again, subjective and hardly true since the game breaks immersion via hundreds of loading screens all the time.

And so forth.

Well said and a breath of fresh air

to your bullet points:

-Yes

-Yes

-Yes

-Matter of Opinion

-Matter of Opinion

-Relatively speaking, compared to other MMOs, sure. As fluid as say Kotor? No.

-Matter of Opinion

-Matter of Opinion (No. In many regards.)

-Yes

-We'll see

What he's saying is that the game has GOOD voice acting (Hence the constantly reused lines.) for example. The issues with the seemingly fluid combat were already pointed out. TOR killing the grind is flat out wrong. Leveling being fun is subjective nonsense. Immersion is, again, subjective and hardly true since the game breaks immersion via hundreds of loading screens all the time.

And so forth.

Loading screens yeah we all hate them agreed.

Some of the quest objectives are delivered so nicely however, that immersion in a game has never been better on this point.

Never seen better voice acting in any MMORPG, it's really immersive there as well.

I'm having no problems levelling, not sure why you think the grind is too much. You'd have to expect to level in 24 hours if you really think you're grinding here. Levelling being fun is indeed subjective, but maybe it's more that you just don't like MMORPGs and the way you need to kill and loot things to progress - pretty standard for this genre, but if you have a better idea then by all means share it...maybe some day someone will see your glorious post and make you a Game Director.

:cool:

Edited by lollie

Glad to start seeing more positive posts coming out of the woodwork. I think many of the players are like me, in the sense that after playing for 3 weeks I decided to check the forums and saw the overwhelming hate and got tired of it. Thanks for the post :)

This game is doing so well because it's KOTOR 3.

HAhahaha this is no KOTOR 3, it doesn't even seem similar to KOTOR 1 & 2.. I would have much rather had a SINGLE player kotor 3 then this mmo thing. However, it's still a pretty cool game and i guess I'll be playing it for a while.

Thank you for posting this. I agree with you and it's nice to see this after all the whiners who can't get over the fact this is not just like WoW.:ph_cheers: