People who know SWTOR best, Top Guild in SWTOR, Leaves... why?

Fox_McCloud

So it seems that this games number one Guild has left SWTOR yesterday after 4 months of play. They had all the world first records for top raids. They were essentially the pros, the guys who knew this game better then any other group of players.

Their conclusion? time to quit.. Why? They say its to get ready for Guild Wars 2. Probably because the pre-purchase open beta weekends are starting next weekend or the weekend after at latest.

My question to the SWTOR community, why do you think that the top guild in SWTOR has left the game such a short time after the latest content patch 1.2? What was missing from the patch that would have kept them interested?

Do you feel that there is enough in the game to keep you interested in playing for at least another 6 months and if so, is it only because you are not as familiar with the game as the guild members of Condemned?

Anyway I am sure a lot of the die hards here will brush this off completely, but for me, it shows a warning sign for the developers and possibly other players, when the group of players who knows the game the best, decide its not worth continuing to play.

Condemned Guild webpage:

http://condemnedguild.enjin.com/home...article/691279

Also I noted today that articles are showing decline in subscription numbers and EA is now laying up to 1000 employees off due to underwhelming SWTOR and BF3 performance.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343845/ea-poor-battlefield-3-old-republic-performance-result-in-layoffs/

I am curious what you all think, thanks =)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems that this games number one Guild has left SWTOR yesterday after 4 months of play. They had all the world first records for top raids. They were essentially the pros, the guys who knew this game better then any other group of players.

Their conclusion? time to quit.. Why? They say its to get ready for Guild Wars 2. Probably because the pre-purchase open beta weekends are starting next weekend or the weekend after at latest.

My question to the SWTOR community, why do you think that the top guild in SWTOR has left the game such a short time after the latest content patch 1.2? What was missing from the patch that would have kept them interested?

Do you feel that there is enough in the game to keep you interested in playing for at least another 6 months and if so, is it only because you are not as familiar with the game as the guild members of Condemned?

Anyway I am sure a lot of the die hards here will brush this off completely, but for me, it shows a warning sign for the developers and possibly other players, when the group of players who knows the game the best, decide its not worth continuing to play.

Condemned Guild webpage:

Also I noted today that articles are showing decline in subscription numbers and EA is now laying up to 1000 employees off due to underwhelming SWTOR and BF3 performance.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/343845/ea-poor-battlefield-3-old-republic-performance-result-in-layoffs/

Don't know them, never heard of them. I wish them well in their future endeavours but fail to see what possible relevance this has to do with anything other than the usual forum whining and moaning.

for me, im still enjoying the game and BW is doing a GJ imho.

let them leave if they want, they have their own reasons-may or may not be related to swtor. that's the nature of other gamers, they tend to hop games to try and test new things, like some other players who left other mmorpg to play swtor.

Lol @ top guilds in TOR. BioWare has done an outstanding job ruling this MMO with an iron fist. Not only have they provided equal incentives for everyone but they have also eliminated all in-game competition. Bravo BioWare, bravo. Just the game I wanted to play! :)

Because they dont have jobs or girlfriends and got burnt out on the game too quickly. They need more content and its not coming soon enough.

This will not happen to 99.5% or the players. The carrot will always be dangling just out of reach.

For that other guild, they reached the carrot. And it sucked.

I'm going to start by saying I despise BioWare for two reasons: they have very poor communication skills and rapport with their customers, and they play PR marketing games rather than being honest and open with their clients.

That being said, I am not a fanboi type, and I see many flaws and issues with SWTOR, but let's be honest, that's not what this post is about. This post is about people who only play the game one way who are angry and intolerant of a game that does not cater to their play-style: competitive end-game raiding and pvping.

This game, since years before launch, has been marketed as a casual story-driven game. There's famous quotes all over the forums from devs saying things like: if you only want to pvp you're not going to like our game, and that's tough because that's not what we're here for.

SWTOR was purposely set up to appeal to a casual player who takes their time leveling up, exploring the worlds around them to find lore and hidden or hard to get items, and people who want to fully enjoy all the content in a game. And by "content" I don't mean that you finished all the end game ops and "violated" all your opponents on a PvP war-zone.

People who are "the best" players in a game don't enjoy the story. They power-leveled their way through this game, space-barred through a huge amount of it, because they wanted to "beat" the game. They rushed through zones and didn't discover codex entries or items on their own, and why bother looking since they can just look it up on a guide later anyway rather than play the game as intended without outside guides and tutorials to skip through the real issue of playing the game: achieving something yourself, not just following a play-guide.

I'm not sorry to see this guild go. I'm not sorry about ANY PvP/End Game competitive jerk who has literally made my play time in this game miserable. They complain, they whine, they snivel, they harass other players. I have had other players follow me around in the PVE environment as I tootled along taking my time and actually harass me telling me how much I was a terrible loser person because I wasn't level 50 and I was too slow and they were better than me. We weren't grouped or anything, they simply had nothing better to do with their time because those poor widdle babies were bored. Tough bantha poodoo. They can get the heck outta Dodge as far as I'm concerned. Their aggressive nasty attitudes were nothing but negativity and annoyance and they surely won't be missed by a casual player like me.

Well congratulations, they beat the game. Please DO let the door smack them on the behinds nice and hard on way out. I surely don't want them here.

The post asks why we think they left, it didn't state why they left. It could simply be they find the structure and mechanics of the game's design stale or just not the right fit for their playstyle. It's not at all difficult to predict how this games lifespan will play out and what we can expect form it a few months or years down the line, it's pretty cut and paste as far as mmo's go so at this point you pretty much know if you're staying or going and it doesn't have to be some emotional decision.

They were essentially the pros, the guys who knew this game better then any other group of players.

funny

i never knew they got rid of pvp and the other stuff that isnt operations at level 50

sounds to me like a bunch of elitist douchebags left the game.which will make the community better anyway

I'll take the bait I guess, but i've not heard of them.

As to your question, probably nothing would have kept them. They'll leave GW2 after a couple of months also after they level and burn through that game. And go where?

Eventually Titan will be upon us all and the same threads will occur.

Are they burners or players? Or do they consider burners to be players? It's a hairsplitter I guess, but useful to know.

I ask this because from your description they seem to be borg like. And as such it is irrational to think that any mmo will fill the need. Therefore it is irrational to think that leaving to prepare for GW2 is a reason. Prepare for what? An open beta so they are more familiar with the game when it launches to accomodate the borg like mentality and even further their own self fulfilling prophecy?

If so, there is no game for them.

SWTOR was purposely set up to appeal to a casual player who takes their time leveling up, exploring the worlds around them to find lore and hidden or hard to get items, and people who want to fully enjoy all the content in a game. And by "content" I don't mean that you finished all the end game ops and "violated" all your opponents on a PvP war-zone.

People who are "the best" players in a game don't enjoy the story. They power-leveled their way through this game, space-barred through a huge amount of it, because they wanted to "beat" the game. They rushed through zones and didn't discover codex entries or items on their own, and why bother looking since they can just look it up on a guide later anyway rather than play the game as intended without outside guides and tutorials to skip through the real issue of playing the game: achieving something yourself, not just following a play-guide.

But the quest zones are all linear anyway. anytime you see someone in the open world (lol its almost never the opposite faction, idk why they even bothered having pvp servers) you know they are either going to do the quest u just did, or they are on the way back from it. there's literally almost nothing to explore. and i thoroughly enjoyed the story on my sith toon, and even some playing as dark side reb smuggler, but the light side is incredibly lame. I can't even recall one light side choice that resulted in a clever/witty comeback with jedi wisdom/logic. It really killed the reb expirience for me. darkside choices are usually funny or snarky. its like bioware are some imperial fanboys lol.

And i'd say worst design decision ever was upon killing one mob in a certain area you will now have to kill 20-100 mobs due to a "bonus" quest that you cannot abandon. forcing me to grind basically is annoying. especially if i decide to lets say pvp and do some flashpoints and i outlevel the current quest zone my class quest is in. now i have to end up killing 50 whatevers to get a quest out of my log that won't yield almost any exp from mobs, and hardly any on the completion of the quest. Imo there's just alot of bad design decisions in this game. don't even get me started on the artificing menu. 35 mods for a lvl and you have to actually mouse over the item picture to see its stats. lol so terrible.

Edited by masterarohk

Condemned Guild webpage:

Sounds more like a guild whose members all have ADD to me.

I've been playing almost since launch and still having fun.

Their conclusion? time to quit.. Why? They say its to get ready for Guild Wars 2.

My question to the SWTOR community, why do you think that the top guild in SWTOR has left the game such a short time after the latest content patch 1.2?

I am guessing they left to get ready for Guild Wars 2.

Guess after they do everything in GuildWars 2 in 4 months time they will leave there also. Dont know the guild so cant comment on them but just becasue your the 1st to do everything doesnt make you the best.

Our guild was well known on our server in SWG as being the best guild for newer players and returning players and one of the best all round guilds. We didnt get that reputation after 4 months, it took years. We were there for 7 years and sure players came, players left but throughout the 7 years alot of the core was the same and if any officers positions opened up, then those we felt were active and worthy were given the role to continue the guild and our gameplay stayed loyal to our beliefs.

We now have that in Tor, 4 months in, are we the best? Nope, not by a long shot. Are we active- yes Very. Are we here for the long term- We sure are. Again players will leave, new players will come and join us and perhaps in 2-3 years of contiunued Tor presence we will have a good reputation on the server (already starting due to lots of members helping in general chat).

MMORPGS arnt a race, relax, take your time, enjoy the story, grow steadily as a guild, get to know your members than add dozens a week and dont get to know them. People who want to rush everything, i have no issues with that, they pay thier subs so are entitled to play any way they wish but just because they have done everything doesnt make them any better a player than someone who plays casually in my opinion

Honestly I can give two dumplings about them leaving, Lets see here.....

A Self Proclaimed Top Guild with a history of bouncing from game to game calls it quits. (The bouncing part comes directly from their own site in their history of the guild.)

So overall I see them as a bunch of players who hop from game to game who never spend enough time to PLAY the game.

While I know I am sure I already know the answer, but why would the OP even post this unless unless A) is part of the guild trying to stroke the EPEEN B)Rejected recruit who think they are gods and wants to lick the ground they walk on C) Has no life and thinks the Stuart Droid is the best companion ever.

The number one guild? I guess that kinda summed it up when your first done your usually first to leave.

IMHO if you are first in every catagory all that says to me is that they wanted to finish and hope that Bioware,EA, and LA would keep pace with them.

Alot of people (includingmyself have not leveled a character to max not done hardly any of the flashpoints,

Why because I want experience what the developers, programmers and all of the other people who put so much time. that is among one of the reasons. the rest are not discussed on this thread.