Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ruined

Balsagne
11.26.2014 , 11:20 AM | #1
I held off this post to try to embrace GSF but you devs ruined it with the bombers. I use to love playing GSF and was a hardcore player of it now i dont wanna know it is even in the game thanks a lot for ruining the one aspect of pvp i love.

WTG bioware F for effort

why dont you just ruin operations too so i can go play something else not made by you guys

zaskar
11.26.2014 , 11:42 AM | #2
God I wish we could embed in this forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A

ghosterl
11.26.2014 , 01:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Balsagne View Post
I held off this post to try to embrace GSF but you devs ruined it with the bombers.
So you managed to hold off posting for nine months and now decided to come here to spew the usual battlescout nonsense about how bombers ruined the game. That's mighty commendable of you, it's just too bad for the rest of us that your epic restraint now finally fell apart.

I use to love playing GSF and was a hardcore player of it now i dont wanna know it is even in the game thanks a lot for ruining the one aspect of pvp i love.
I used to be so hardcore but then I took a seismic mine to the hull.

F for effort
True, totally an F just not the way you think it is.

Might even make tabloid history. Can you imagine the headlines?

Stunning Discovery In Star Wars The Old Republic:
" Seismic mine exploded in my face and knocked me out for nine whole months!"
- Shocked players report on total imbalance in Galactic Starfighter.

SWTOR: Hot Topic!
"Debate of the Season: Gunships or Bombers, which are worse?"
- Read up on the hottest debate this winter.

Follow us on #ninemonthslate, #gunsheep and #lamecampers. Facebook at facebook.com/HowToRuinGSF. Instagram and tumblr featuring the worst unbalanced matches up shortly.

Vanjervalis Chain
<Black Bantha> Boris
Nikolaj
Asozialer Welpenschläger, Mafiaboss und Spielverderber

MaximilianPower
11.26.2014 , 01:15 PM | #4
I held off this post to try to embrace GSF but you devs ruined it with the bombers. I use to love playing GSF and was a hardcore player of it now i dont wanna know it is even in the game thanks a lot for ruining the one aspect of pvp i love.

WTG bioware F for effort

why dont you just ruin operations too so i can go play something else not made by you guys

Ok, I'll bite.

What about bombers in particular bothers you? Perhaps we can offer you some strategies to help you counter them. Because aside from the few top-tier bomber pilots out there, they aren't really hard to deal with - if you know what you're doing. Lots of folks in this forum are VERY knowledgeable and would be happy to assist.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Ryuku-sama
11.26.2014 , 01:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

What about bombers in particular bothers you? Perhaps we can offer you some strategies to help you counter them. Because aside from the few top-tier bomber pilots out there, they aren't really hard to deal with - if you know what you're doing. Lots of folks in this forum are VERY knowledgeable and would be happy to assist.
Hey!!! I ressent that!!!! I'm no top tier and can still kick asses on my bombers!!! My gunships.... My scouts....... My strikes.................
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Verain
11.26.2014 , 02:43 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ghosterl View Post
all the things
This post is so good, it makes this thread worthwhile. Solid punt of OP's class QQ post.

I think the funniest thing is that the bombers have been out for basically the whole of the game's existence. They came out like 10 months ago for a 12 month old game or something? Maybe 9? I dunno. The game before bombers was so much worse. Battle scouts are still heroes, but at least there is a way to deny them an area now.

But it's just funny that he was, I guess "hardcore" for like a month, and then had it "ruined" by bombers, and like four whole new ships later he decides to show up and make this post.

Anyway, turning this into a "how to play against bombers" thread seems ambitious. Most of our "how to play against bomber" threads become class QQs within a page though, so I guess coming into a class QQ thread and reversing the trend isn't a bad idea.

Here's my advice: If a bomber is in space, go towards him and hurt him. If he drops mines, fly away from those. If he drops drones, line of sight those. A bomber can't outrun or out turn anything in the whole game, and as such he is very vulnerable when sprinting around places, but has weapons that deny an area once he is in a place he wants to defend. This means you can use area attacks and EMP weapons to dislodge the bomber, or you can use a special bomber build that is good against other bombers but generally weaker against most other ships as part of a team to push bombers away.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

MaximilianPower
11.26.2014 , 04:59 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
Hey!!! I ressent that!!!! I'm no top tier and can still kick asses on my bombers!!! My gunships.... My scouts....... My strikes.................
lol, you're being modest. i'm not sure i've ever actually seen you play a bomber, but you're knowledgeable enough about the game such that I'm sure you're just as solid on those as you are on a GS (I think that's the only ship type I've seen you play regularly, though I know you play everything).

Fact is, most bombers are bad. Or, if not exactly bad, then not good enough to avoid the kind of simple strategies Verain describes above. Conservatively, I'd say 80% of bombers are fairly easy to deal with if you know what you're doing.

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Verain
11.26.2014 , 05:18 PM | #8
I don't think bombers are bad at all. In fact, I think they are extraordinarily vital support. The girl bomber features soft denial of large areas plus heals in way that signals to players silently that an area is worth being in- friendly players see the heals and realize that they can get healed, but also that a taunt drone has been placed and will soon attract some targets, enemy players don't want to let a nest sit there. If the rest of your team is terribad they will ignore those weak little drones and try to find corners of the map to get shot by gunships in, but if they instead realize that the topography of that area is VERY DIFFERENT than before the drones are placed, then suddenly things are going to go better.

Meanwhile, boy bombers features hard denial of small areas plus the amazing h-beacon (which isn't even worth equipping if your team is derp, but can, if placed correctly, swing a game for sure), placing the very few weapons in the game that ignore the insanely evasive scout defenses and providing an area where they can't freely enter and must instead take out the mines via a more circuitous route (for instance, flying down below a vane, then back up and popping the mine at max range). This prevents them from bringing their mighty burst to bear without effort. They also feature a charged plating build which makes them completely invincible versus certain attack types, including the otherwise dominant cluster missiles and enemy mines, but at the cost of being very vulnerable to weapons with armor ignore, such as pods, BLC, and slug, and greatly vulnerable to thermites.

Finally, the baby bomber is a fun heavy fighter, with mines or a drone to give a bit of extra survival versus scouts and the ability to fight at medium range in open space like a strike fighter. This ship actually is an interesting niche in the meta, because it's one of the few ships that is kind of threatening to a flashfire that the flashfire can't just walk away from and be totally and completely safe, while also being enough of a target that a strike fighter is an interesting and generally strong choice against it. A solid ship, but not really in the league of the other two.

I really like what bombers add to the game. What ticks me off is players who fly into stationary targets such as mine and drone range, or who stick around right behind a bomber who is pooping those things out, get vaporized, and then complain. It's not like these are drones in the sense of actual things that have AI. They are entirely predictable state machines that are fully stationary.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Ryuku-sama
11.26.2014 , 05:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
lol, you're being modest. i'm not sure i've ever actually seen you play a bomber, but you're knowledgeable enough about the game such that I'm sure you're just as solid on those as you are on a GS (I think that's the only ship type I've seen you play regularly, though I know you play everything).

Fact is, most bombers are bad. Or, if not exactly bad, then not good enough to avoid the kind of simple strategies Verain describes above. Conservatively, I'd say 80% of bombers are fairly easy to deal with if you know what you're doing.
You saw me on Bastion on Ela'iza.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

MaximilianPower
11.26.2014 , 06:29 PM | #10
@Verain - I'm not sure if you were responding to me, and my comment that most bombers are bad - but just to clarify, I meant that most bomber pilots are bad. That is, they're frequently easy kills if you apply some common sense (which is the point I was trying to make to OP). I completely agree that all three bomber types are good ships...when piloted by people who have a clue, and know how to use them.

Personally I literally never flew bombers at all until about a month ago. I think I had a total of four bomber matches under my belt at that point. They just seemed slow and boring to me...I'd rather zip around in a scout or put up stupid numbers in a GS.

Anyway, several weeks ago I watched one of JC's better bomber pilots in action (hi Sal!) and became inspired to give it a try. These days you're as likely to see me in a bomber as anything else. They're actually fun, especially the T3, or the girl bomber when played aggressively.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
You saw me on Bastion on Ela'iza.
Yes, but as we established, I had no idea that was you at the time. And it was only, like, 4 games - I don't even remember what you were flying.