Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Weird stuff going on...

Ramalina
05.29.2014 , 12:16 AM | #11
So most of these effects sound like the result of network latency.

"Teleporting" ships, "impossible" one shots (they're actually multiple shots all registering at the same time when the sever reestablishes contact with the client), and a bunch of other weird effects can all be produced by lag spikes.

Common sources are router problems (especially wifi), poor cable connections in the house, ISP problems with their hardware, or the larger servers that form the infrastructure of the internet in the US.

Some people also use various techniques to cause deliberate latency, though it can be as damaging to them as much as it is annoying to you. My favorites are when they either lag themselves into asteroids or don't get the missile launch warnings and eat a proton torpedo to the face.

RenegadeImp has an excellent network connection troubleshooting guide, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=695560

At one point I basically did the same Google search, after reading threads about GSF hacks. I decide to take a stupid risk for the sake of curiosity and I followed some of the result links to look at the websites and read the product descriptions.
When they say "GSF Hack" usually what they're referring to is the version of SWTOR that contains the GSF expansion content. The actual hacks seem to be mostly aimed at hijacking the computers of foolish people, and secondarily at gaining credits and/or cartel coins. I didn't find any that claimed to actually do anything for GSF gameplay. That was a while ago though, so maybe someone has come up with something since then that does affect GSF.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

BattleDress
05.29.2014 , 12:27 AM | #12
At 1st, i though the same thing: oh, must be server lag or internet lag. But that is y i continued my observations for a few months. Some of those "w.t.f.?" moments keep coming back. Not very often mind you, but enough for me to notice. Hence this thread.
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

Slinktress
05.29.2014 , 12:57 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by BattleDress View Post
At 1st, i though the same thing: oh, must be server lag or internet lag. But that is y i continued my observations for a few months. Some of those "w.t.f.?" moments keep coming back. Not very often mind you, but enough for me to notice. Hence this thread.
I will definitely rule out lag in my case. I used to deal with lag, am familiar with it, but the disappearing without a death message (by the way those are cool and creepy Hunger Games-esque) without then appearing again within the visual arc is not lag. They also disappeared off of my target "radar". It's not possible to disconnect and reconnect to the game; had a power flicker from a storm once and tried to get back in game, but I could not.

It's simply "weird" as the OP posted, and something to watch for. Maybe there's a bug /shrug.
~*~Slinktress~*~ Band of Brothers/Prophecy of the Five @Slinktress on Twitter - Geek News!

admpellaeon
05.29.2014 , 01:30 AM | #14
A week or 2 ago on JC had a gunship who could traverse the whole kuat map in 2-3 seconds. I mean just crazy speed, but it didn't really work out as they self destructed more then they killed.

BattleDress
05.29.2014 , 02:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by admpellaeon View Post
A week or 2 ago on JC had a gunship who could traverse the whole kuat map in 2-3 seconds. I mean just crazy speed, but it didn't really work out as they self destructed more then they killed.
That always makes me lol. I can tell the difference between lag ("jumpers" across the screen) and a "lag switch" ("jumps" around when targeted, but as soon as you break the target, they stop "jumping". I have tested this on many occasions.) so i usually ignore them as they are a hazard to themselves. But that speed? Maybe somebody was trying out something new and it did not "work as intended"
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

BattleDress
05.29.2014 , 02:46 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Slinktress View Post
I will definitely rule out lag in my case. I used to deal with lag, am familiar with it, but the disappearing without a death message (by the way those are cool and creepy Hunger Games-esque) without then appearing again within the visual arc is not lag. They also disappeared off of my target "radar". It's not possible to disconnect and reconnect to the game; had a power flicker from a storm once and tried to get back in game, but I could not.

It's simply "weird" as the OP posted, and something to watch for. Maybe there's a bug /shrug.
This is what i mean. Weird stuff going on that makes you go "Huh!?!" Keep an eye out fellow pilots! And if some of you have video capture of 'weird stuff going on", please post it on this thread.

TheGreatSatan
05.29.2014 , 09:39 PM | #17
I play GSF most every day and never see any of this except when it's quite obviously lag. If you're a bomber and go form full shields + green hull to no shields + orange hull from 1 set of clusters from a scout, you probably ate a crit from BLC and just didn't realize it. Everything else you mentioned sounds like lag.

I know people keep suggesting that it's lag and it keeps getting dismissed...but it's almost certainly lag. If these things were hacks you'd see the people "using" them do extremely well. As it is, most of the ships I see "teleporting" around are obviously lagging like crazy and their scores reflect as much at the end screen.
Strix of The Bastion

Kheld
05.30.2014 , 09:57 AM | #18
Ive seen some Bomber pilots move like the Starship Enterprise on warp speed.

Funny thing is, they only do it when approaching a Satellite Capture Point, they fly normally after they arrive & start pooping mines.
The Force will be with you, always.

Ramalina
05.30.2014 , 03:02 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Kheld View Post
Ive seen some Bomber pilots move like the Starship Enterprise on warp speed.

Funny thing is, they only do it when approaching a Satellite Capture Point, they fly normally after they arrive & start pooping mines.
That would be them using boost to cross open space in a hurry because they don't want to get slaughtered by scouts, strikes, or gunships.

If they take the slightly unconventional choice of Interdiction drive as an engine component, it gives a short but substantial speed increase on use. It'll make them faster than the fastest scout build for a few seconds.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

AceFirstCav
05.31.2014 , 04:50 AM | #20
I agree that there are happening weird things in the GSF sometimes.

The most interesting thing is ability of some ships to be unhitable for long time. Blaster fire and rockets hit the ship but do no damage. Since I have seen this ability mostly on Scouts and one GS, I would bet on some kind of abusing Distortion field. Like some game bug witch alows to use this ability for abnormaly long time.

I have experienced one shot killing from scout or strike a few times during Deathmatch. It was very strange but I have credited it to extremely lucky combination of damage boost and critical hit.

Funny part of this is that people which saying "There is definitely no way how could anyone cheat, that it is just skill" are sometimes convicted for cheating at the end.