Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

do YOU have a bounty on your head?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
do YOU have a bounty on your head?

Kalphitis
04.23.2014 , 05:24 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
[*]"Waaah waaaah people focus me because I'm good I'd like to be able to farm noobs more easily" is not a good reason for any change.
This....it's bad enough we have new players on the forums whining all the time about game difficulties...the last thing we need is veterans whining also.

BattleDress
04.23.2014 , 05:41 PM | #22
And just where exactly am i whining?
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

General_Brass
04.23.2014 , 06:17 PM | #23
  1. It's bad.
  2. It destroys the sense of community.
  3. It is useful to be able to see who is who.
  4. There's a reason every game basically ever has nameplates or callsigns or similar (even console FPSes like Halo)
  5. It dehumanizes the opponents and makes things feel like PvE.
  6. Rivalries are fun.
  7. "Waaah waaaah people focus me because I'm good I'd like to be able to farm noobs more easily" is not a good reason for any change.
Also, it's bad.
I saw this list and had to laugh. Someone has never been on the wrong side of this.

Rivalries fun ? In these games that translates to how unenjoyable you can make the game for the other side.

Dehumanizes ? I don't even want to go there. At least removing nameplates would only dehumanize the other side instead of the way calling for focus dehumanizes both.

Destroys the sense of community ? Not a day goes by where I don't see people mad enough to spit nails over the lopsided matches, and being swarmed. There is little to no community in this game.

Depersonalizing this would likely be a greatest good for the greatest number move if ever there was one.

Ramalina
04.23.2014 , 06:23 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
I saw this list and had to laugh. Someone has never been on the wrong side of this.
I can promise you that Kuciwalker has been on the receiving end of this many, many times.

Also, how the hell are you "the" JM GS pilot?
He filed the paperwork required for a title claim first. Why, how did you think that sort of thing works? Granted, the answer lacks romance, mystery, and any sense of adventure, but that's often the case in life.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Kuciwalker
04.23.2014 , 06:33 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
I can promise you that Kuciwalker has been on the receiving end of this many, many times.
^ this

DamascusAdontise
04.23.2014 , 06:42 PM | #26
(sorry, was way off topic before)

I dont think hiding nameplates will help new players, its more likely to help veterans stay hidden so they can stalk their prey without being focused.

This hinges on intention, if the intention is to help new players or solo's forget it. If the intention it to add a new element to the game, I am not sure it would work but I welcome new addtions. We sorely need new things to play with IMO.
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

QuinMantha
04.23.2014 , 06:58 PM | #27
I think turning off nameplates would actually deteriorate the solidarity of the GSF community.

Whenever somebody I know comes to shoot a bad guy off my tail, I try to thank them if I can. I can count several instances where I saw the nameplate of a pilot I knew and headed towards them, or breathed a sigh of relief when I saw them swoop past me, lasers blazing.

Also, having nameplates active helps me to coordinate my place in the strategy of my team. If there's a pilot I know to be deadly coming towards a group of newbies or a satellite, I shoot him down regardless of ship type. If there's a bad guy whose name I don't know, maybe I won't focus him so hard. Usually, in the case of a green or unknown pilot, I'll wing him, then let my teammates try and finish him off. Accomplishment for them, success for the team, and I helped to contribute.

Let's say nameplates are off. There's a Blackbolt coming towards a satellite me and a newbie are guarding. I don't know who it is, but I did see in the launch queue that an enemy pilot I know to be better than me was flying a Blackbolt. Do I take the chance that this is a green pilot coming in? Or do I hoard the kill to myself and deny my teammate a chance at becoming a better dogfighter because I don't want to risk getting blown up by a possibly vastly superior foe and thereby lose the satellite?

Knowing who's come to call informs my tactics. Knowing who I'm flying against helps me. When you've flown for a while against a certain cabal of folks, you really get to know them, almost like friends. You know where they're strong, and you know where they're weak. You can almost predict them. You know when they'll cut and run, and you know when they'll bite and never let go. And when the veterans on a GSF server square off...there's no time to putz around with the small fry. You go for the big names. Partly to shut them down, partly to ensure your team's success...and mostly for the thrill.

So, if I end up with three guys on my tail in a TDM match, and I'm dancing just out of their sights in a Flashfire (yes, I DO fly something OTHER than a Gunship), I take it as a supreme compliment. They know my name, and for whatever reason, they consider me a worthy target.

I'll even smile as I look for my teammate who's a hot hand with a railgun and lead the poor nerfs to the slaughter.
Ebon Hawkin' And Totally Rockin'

- Cmdr. Rhint Mantha, Jedi Knight, <Blue Squadron>
- Mjr. Galbaldy Mantha, Trooper
- Tsun'pahn, Bounty Hunter and Smuggler

BattleDress
04.23.2014 , 07:08 PM | #28
Unless you stay on topic, i refer you to this thread about nameplates.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737226
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

Ramalina
04.23.2014 , 07:47 PM | #29
Hey, the Red Baron was one of the world's early true aces. The response? They didn't just hunt him, they hunted his entire squadron.

The sudden surplus of targets seems not to have bothered him all that much, though it may have eventually been fatal. There are differing accounts of how he got shot down, so it's hard to tell if it was a result of being focused by the opposition.

You don't paint your plane bright red if you're trying to hide. Well, unless you think you're so good at hiding with sun and clouds that it doesn't matter what color you paint your plane.

Anyhow to answer the thread no, I don't believe I have a bounty on my head in GSF. I am sometimes pursued for extensive periods of time by Blackbolts when I'm flying my Pike. I'm not sure why.

Maybe they don't like getting hit by proton torpedoes, which makes no sense because if they didn't want to get hit by proton torpedoes I don't see how they could get hit by proton torpedoes.

Perhaps they think that if my Pike is spewing smoke and flames all over the place it should be an easy kill. This also doesn't make sense because after we've been up and down the map a few times I'm not sure it counts as easy. Unless they're trying to let me practice dragging targets in front of friendly gunships (which is nice of them if so because I usually forget to do it and need the practice). One (or rarely two) persistent Blackbolts doesn't really count as getting focused though. They need to swarm like mosquitoes or blackflies for it to be focus (either that or they have to be good enough to be really scary).
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

MaximilianPower
04.23.2014 , 09:04 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by BattleDress View Post
Just as the title says. I am curious to see if any of you have the feeling that as soon as you get into the fray, suddenly 3+ pilots switch targets and gun for you? In the last few weeks, since 1 pilot did just that in a TDM against me and made a post about it (BTW, the post was deleted the same day it went up), my GSF life has been...interesting

If any of my fellow pilots feel the same way i do, let me know and we can all feel flattered and nervous at the same time
Ah, BattleDress. While I do feel for you, I wonder if maybe the bounty experience hasn't burdened you with a bit of paranoia.

I have fought with and against you countless times (even a couple matches just today). I am well aware of the bounty situation you describe; while I wasn't involved in that particular match, I heard about it shortly thereafter (I think directly from the perpetrator), and I did post in the deleted thread. The gist of my comment was that while on a certain level I thought it was kinda funny (since it was only one match, rather than an ongoing vendetta), I also imagined it must have really sucked for you.

The fact is - at least in a domination match - when I see you in the opposing lineup, I do target you. Not because of a personal grudge, or even because of your skill level (though you're surely one of the better pilots on JC) - but simply because you're invariably flying that bomber, and I'm invariably in my GS. When I see you ponderously making your way to a satellite, I make it a priority to take you down. I don't typically succeed, but I think this is part of my role. Similarly, anyone else on my team who sees you en route should be trying to stop you too, because once nestled comfortably beneath the satellite - as is your style - you're incredibly difficult to remove. Consider that a compliment.

This, again, is your role.

So I'm thinking perhaps you're interpreting this kind of focus in the wrong way. When 3+ pilots go after you in a dom match, and you're in the bomber, they're probably only making a strategic decision. The right one, I think. If we're talking TDM, that's a bit of a different story I suppose - but even there, I tend to focus bombers. Speaking only for myself, it is truly nothing personal. I'll go after any other competent bomber pilot the same way.

Many of the other posts in this thread refer to focusing highly-skilled pilots. I'm certainly not saying you don't fall into that category, merely that when you fly as a bomber, you paint a target on yourself by default.

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power TøbiasFünke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements