Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

do YOU have a bounty on your head?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
do YOU have a bounty on your head?

BattleDress
04.23.2014 , 02:59 PM | #1
Just as the title says. I am curious to see if any of you have the feeling that as soon as you get into the fray, suddenly 3+ pilots switch targets and gun for you? In the last few weeks, since 1 pilot did just that in a TDM against me and made a post about it (BTW, the post was deleted the same day it went up), my GSF life has been...interesting

If any of my fellow pilots feel the same way i do, let me know and we can all feel flattered and nervous at the same time
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

Fractalsponge
04.23.2014 , 03:01 PM | #2
I don't know if there's a bounty, but I have heard several times from friends that play on pub side that "Focus Xi'ao" comes up in the game lobby. I certainly get a lot of people on me most matches.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Altheran
04.23.2014 , 03:01 PM | #3
I am not feeling like having a bounty on my head, I am sure I have one.

Obvious focus is obvious.

Luneward
04.23.2014 , 03:06 PM | #4
It varies. I'm nowhere near as high profile as a lot of the more infamous pilots on TeH, but if they aren't around I become a pretty prime target. Though I often have a one battle bounty length by some of the better pilots because I actively try to hunt them during a fight.

Best way to learn is to receive a repeated curb stomping from the best, after all.
Steelwind / Kaillen * The Ebon Hawk

Nemarus
04.23.2014 , 03:08 PM | #5
I designed my TDM Blackbolt around the assumption that I will always be focused by the opposition, and that the only way to escape that focus is to get off their sensors so that they are forced to pick another target :P Then I sweep back in and get as many kills as I can before the hounds pick up my trail again.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

SammyGStatus
04.23.2014 , 03:08 PM | #6
I hate being focused, especially after they nerfed my GS to make sure that I die at least once a match now. As you play the game you start to create your own rivalries with people who then spam the /ops chat with "TARGET so and so". It definitely makes your enjoyment of THAT MATCH pretty underwhelming (again, post 2.7 as before I could take out an entire team w/o dying. Now, every Type 2 battlescout has a 98% change to finish me off).

I think if they removed nameplates from opposition, it would help reduce being focused by name and instead be focused by ships and general strategies
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Nemarus
04.23.2014 , 03:09 PM | #7
Also if you're flying a Gunship, know that you'll be my #1 target :P Not necessarily because of any animosity, but because Gunships are the biggest threat if left unchecked.

BattleDress
04.23.2014 , 03:16 PM | #8
I see that i am definitely not alone in this situation! I like the suggestion of removing the name plates from enemy ships. It would make focusing 1 pilot in particular go the way of the dodo bird.
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

Nemarus
04.23.2014 , 03:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
I hate being focused, especially after they nerfed my GS to make sure that I die at least once a match now. As you play the game you start to create your own rivalries with people who then spam the /ops chat with "TARGET so and so". It definitely makes your enjoyment of THAT MATCH pretty underwhelming (again, post 2.7 as before I could take out an entire team w/o dying). I think if they removed nameplates from opposition, it would help reduce being focused by name and instead be focused by ships and general strategies
That is a very, very interesting notion. I'm not sure how I feel about it. In some sense, I feel like it would make combat less personal. Right now, when I engage someone I've fought before and know well, their name tells me a lot about how they fly, how they're built, how aggressive/conservative they are, etc. And when one of us wins the fight, there's a little shot of dopamine.

For example, as a rule I hunt down Gunships. If it's a name I don't particularly recognize, I'll often come straight at it. But if it's you (Aimbot) or Phil or another Gunship ace, I know you're snapshot is deadly and that I'll need to flank ... and to watch out for Swansea covering/avenging you. And if I do manage to kill you and escape, I get that little brief insta-glee (as I'm sure you get every time you kill me).

If there were no pilot nameplates ... things would be different. I'm not even sure exactly how. Could I recognize an enemy pilot based on their style and build (or their cosmetic choices?), or would I not know who I'm attacking until I kill them or they kill me (I'm assuming "X killed Y" messages would remain).

I feel like overall, no nameplates would benefit me. Right now, once I get focused, I sometimes have to run clear across the map before pursuers give up the chase. Would they chase me for so long if they weren't sure it was me? What if I was just some scrub in a Blackbolt that wasn't a threat?

Also, I would think Gunship pilots wouldn't want this change, as it makes their role less tactical. Right now a Gunship can pick out a priority target and cripple/kill them from range. If you didn't know who was who, you couldn't prioritize as much.

Either way, the argument is academic I'm sure. I seriously doubt BioWare would make that change.

Or maybe make it a new Tactical Crew option... something like "Transponder Scrambler" that hides your name from everyone, and (for balance) hides everyone else's name from you.

Altheran
04.23.2014 , 03:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BattleDress View Post
I see that i am definitely not alone in this situation! I like the suggestion of removing the name plates from enemy ships. It would make focusing 1 pilot in particular go the way of the dodo bird.
I like it as well.

It would let more room for PuG elites to fight groups on vocal as they'll likely not know where "the dude" is.
At the moment focus firing is so potent (let's face it, it's too easy to eliminate the few threatening pilots if you can name and focus) that I call these kinds of focus "Can't let you do that starfox"