A chat with Michael Backus during last night's Cantina Event

artbunny

I was the gal to ask about GSF during yesterday's Cantina event, and after checking the forum today I thought some of you might appreciate a more detailed story about Michael Backus and what he had to say about GSF!

Yes, the man himself was there to answer our questions, so what pilot could resist to go out and to talk to him? :D

First I have to say it was a real pleasure to meet him, and to talk to him. When I asked my question during the official Q&A, you could see immediately that this is something very close to his heart and a topic he loved to discuss!

I think we spent like an hour or so after the Q&A was over just standing there in a large circle around him, getting to ask questions about all kinds of things in the game and he was very friendly and a good sport during the whole conversation. What I took away for GSF and Space PvE:

1) Michael Backus loves GSF! You could easily see that it's his love child, in a way, and he seemed very happy to see people walk up to him and tell him how much they enjoyed it.

2) He'd love to give us new GSF content in the future. I mentioned I'd love new maps or match types, he talked about giving us new ships (I assume ship types). BUT:

3) New content will not happen soon. Right now, everyone is focused on KotFE, but he did say that he told his team to put up things on the 'Wall of Crazy' (how I understood it, the WoC is their drawing board where they put up everything that might be fun to have in the game and then pick what actually can get realised later) that would make for a great future PvP patch, for WZs and GSF alike.

4) When a guildie of mine mentioned that she'd like to see group Space missions in the future, he smiled widely and asked: “Would you like to see that? You'd like to see that, yes?” I have no confirmation about this, of course, but I got a gut feeling BW might indeed plan to revamp Space PvE a little, or are at least actively thinking about how they could make it better in the future.

Personally, although new content won't come out any time soon, I feel actually a bit hyped simply because it was easy to see how close GSF is to the heart of the people making the game. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll ever be a great priority (because we seem to be a very passionate but very, very minor group of players in terms of numbers), but I feel that with people in charge of development who actually care about this part of the game and with them seeing how much we care, chances are really good that we WILL get more content over time!

So let's keep fighting the good fight and let them hear how much we'd like future content, and what that content might be! :D

Thank you for representing us so well, and for the extra detail!

Any idea where the notes Dulfy posted came from then, with the "Not everything has been announced for KotFE" (in response to a GSF question) and the "Will reveal soon" ???

Any idea where the notes Dulfy posted came from then, with the "Not everything has been announced for KotFE" (in response to a GSF question) and the "Will reveal soon" ???

I fear I can only rely on my faulty memory for I didn't take any notes, but I think the "Not everything has been announced yet" was not tied to GSF but rather Space PvE, but my memory might fail me here.

Top-notch job getting us scoop artbunny, could you also confirm the accuracy of this answer from official Q&A about PVE space?

http://dulfy.net/2015/08/06/swtor-gamescom-cantina-tour-qa/

He did say that as an answer to a question, or something very similar. :D I think when we were later standing in that circle, someone from the group asked what would happen to Space missions in KotFE (I think whether they'd scale with the new level cap, too, similar to OPS and FPs?) and Michael then smiled knowingly and gave that answer. Like I said, I have the gut feeling that there might be some new stuff coming for Space PvE, but they only hinted at it.

I fear I can only rely on my faulty memory for I didn't take any notes, but I think the "Not everything has been announced yet" was not tied to GSF but rather Space PvE, but my memory might fail me here.

He did say that as an answer to a question, or something very similar. :D I think when we were later standing in that circle, someone from the group asked what would happen to Space missions in KotFE (I think whether they'd scale with the new level cap, too, similar to OPS and FPs?) and Michael then smiled knowingly and gave that answer. Like I said, I have the gut feeling that there might be some new stuff coming for Space PvE, but they only hinted at it.

LadyInsanity did mention in one of her KOTFE preview videos that there's something entirely new/different coming compared to singleplayer story/FPs/Ops etc in expansion that hasn't been announced yet. Could this be it? Reworked PVE space experience was the first thing that came to my mind but I though it was just more of a wishful thinking since I've been whining about disconnected, abandoned and inconsistient space experience in the game for ages.

If they actually rework old PVE space in Stafighter-fashion, connect it with Starfighter and ground game and maybe even utilize in Story missions I think I will faint...

Edited by Pietrastor

• 4 months later...

Thank you for sharing this! I just wish there was more actual substantive stuff being planned.

For GSF, for Raid PvE and for PvP, the designers seem to think we will be happy to hear about what they would LIKE to do for us, but aren't actually going to - at least not for the foreseeable future.

With all due respect, I don't give a wampa's whoopsie for the wall of crazy, or their big smiles, or their excitement and pleasure.

Subs want some content for their cash. We've been pretty patient about it, I think.

Well that was a cruel necro. :mad:

At least it makes a pretty beautiful corpse though. ;p It is somehow comforting to know the main-creator of the GSF remains a big part of the dev team and clearly is among people who like GSF well. Could be (even) worse.

Edited by Stradlin