Shout out for Bloodmark/Spearpoint pilots

armpatara

While the component on those aren't competitive to other scout, I still enjoy flying Bloodmark. (Probably just because it is the coolest imp scout design ;)) Anyone else enjoy fly either Bloodmark/Spearpoint regularly? Just wondering. Edited by armpatara

Yeah I loved playing Spearpoint, but then Clarion emerged from depths and smashed my scout legacy into pieces.

I still love it though, but I seem to have lost the feel for the "escape when being shot at" thingy, so I am usually dead meat with my Spearpoint.

But if I see anyone with a Spearpoint/Bloodmark, that person instantly gains my respect. Especially if they fly it through entire game, not just at the beginning.

Edited by Slivovidze

While the component on those aren't competitive to other scout, I still enjoy flying Bloodmark. (Probably just because it is the coolest imp scout design ;)) Anyone else enjoy fly either Bloodmark/Spearpoint regularly? Just wondering.

If by regularly you mean at the start of Domination matches, yeah.

Tensor Field can still be handy for increasing turning speed around satellites, but other than that this ship really needs a little more offensive bite. The new Interdiction Missile would be a great match for it. Or if they made Ion Missile or EMP Missile better.

If by regularly you mean at the start of Domination matches, yeah.

Tensor Field can still be handy for increasing turning speed around satellites, but other than that this ship really needs a little more offensive bite. The new Interdiction Missile would be a great match for it. Or if they made Ion Missile or EMP Missile better.

I think interdiction missile on a ship with that kind of mobility would break the game.

I think interdiction missile on a ship with that kind of mobility would break the game.

I wouldn't be that affirmative on this. The Condor, after being upgraded with 10% speed and turning from Engine and Thrusters, has roughly the same maneuverability than the Spearpoint before getting the tier 3 of Engine. It may not be that game breaking.

I wouldn't be that affirmative on this. The Condor, after being upgraded with 10% speed and turning from Engine and Thrusters, has roughly the same maneuverability than the Spearpoint before getting the tier 3 of Engine. It may not be that game breaking.

You can get similar (but less) speed or turning on the gunship, but not both. Also, the scout will likely be running tensor field. When that is active, the scout becomes enormously more maneuverable and mobile than the T3 gunship.

Edited by Fractalsponge

You can get similar (but less) speed or turning on the gunship, but not both.

Eh ? You mean once the Scout mastered his Engine, right ? Because otherwise, the Gunship can effectively boost both.

Side note : less, but marginally less. Gunships' base rates are approximately 90% of Scouts', meaning that after the 10%, it stands at 99% or so.

Eh ? You mean once the Scout mastered his Engine, right ? Because otherwise, the Gunship can effectively boost both.

Side note : less, but marginally less. Gunships' base rates are approximately 90% of Scouts', meaning that after the 10%, it stands at 99% or so.

Yes, I'm assuming mastered components, but why assume anything else?

Bloodmark will do 1.8 deg/s and 1.08 deg/s, and do 780 m/s, standard regeneration. This is stock.

Even with max turning, Jurgoran will do 1.7 deg/s and 1.1 deg/s with +20% turning, and do 696 m/s, standard regeneration. If specced for 10% engine speed, flip the difference with the scout from turning to speed. You can match one stat, but not both, but only before the scout gets its choice of what +10% to take. Also, you cannot ignore that the scout will have cheaper and more efficient boosting, and tensor field, which makes a missile like interdiction missile even easier to lock on with. It's not really comparable.

Edited by Fractalsponge

I think they should consider giving this ship the engine power converter as a shield choice. The added mobility would allow the ship to boost around and apply its buffs much more effectively to other ships. Combat command would become much more viable too. Leaving the secondary weapons like they are would further differentiate it from other scouts and further encourage the team play role.

I think they should consider giving this ship the engine power converter as a shield choice. The added mobility would allow the ship to boost around and apply its buffs much more effectively to other ships. Combat command would become much more viable too. Leaving the secondary weapons like they are would further differentiate it from other scouts and further encourage the team play role.

It's a good idea... except that if you give Shield-to-Engine converter to a ship that can have a Turbo Reactor, it could have pretty much infinite boost without any loss of shield.

All it takes is two seconds of shield regen to recover the cost of one use of S2EC, and S2EC has a 6 second cooldown. It's very well balanced on the T1, requiring a lot of thought and situational evaluation. If you use S2SEC every time it's available, you'll drain your shields and never let them recharge. But if you wait 8 seconds instead of 6, then your engine energy will deplete much more quickly.

But on a ship with a Turbo Reactor, you'd basically always keep S2EC on cooldown, and your shields would stay full.

Bloodmark will do 1.8 deg/s and 1.08 deg/s, and do 780 m/s, standard regeneration. This is stock.

Even with max turning, Jurgoran will do 1.7 deg/s and 1.1 deg/s with +20% turning, and do 696 m/s, standard regeneration. If specced for 10% engine speed, flip the difference with the scout from turning to speed. You can match one stat, but not both, but only before the scout gets its choice of what +10% to take. Also, you cannot ignore that the scout will have cheaper and more efficient boosting, and tensor field, which makes a missile like interdiction missile even easier to lock on with. It's not really comparable.

Can't argue with the Engine cost and efficiency.

However I think this does not help that much for the kill, but that it's more something that will appear on the long run (be able to keep on where a Condor would ultimately have to stop from exhaustion). Not making especially more deadly on its own, IMO.

About the extra maneuverability, extra turning would definitely help for accuracy and the missile lock. However that makes you a relatively slow scout without impressive energy management either. Personally, no way I'd give up the speed and be stuck with mediocre engines.

Extra speed rather helps saving afterburners than anything else.

Either way, once the missile is launched and connects to the target, speed, turning, all becomes more or less moot since the snare already gives overwhelming advantage.

Ultimately, would it overperform a Condor/Jugoran at melee ? Yes. Would it be that potent ? Only testing would tell, but I don't think so.

Edited by Altheran

Can't argue with the Engine cost and efficiency.

However I think this does not help that much for the kill, but that it's more something that will appear on the long run (be able to keep on where a Condor would ultimately have to stop from exhaustion). Not making especially more deadly on its own, IMO.

About the extra maneuverability, extra turning would definitely help for accuracy and the missile lock. However that makes you a relatively slow scout without impressive energy management either. Personally, no way I'd give up the speed and be stuck with mediocre engines.

Extra speed rather helps saving afterburners than anything else.

Either way, once the missile is launched and connects to the target, speed, turning, all becomes more or less moot since the snare already gives overwhelming advantage.

Ultimately, would it overperform a Condor/Jugoran at melee ? Yes. Would it be that potent ? Only testing would tell, but I don't think so.

Speed (base and boosting efficiency) matters offensively to keep an evasive target in range of your weapons and their shields from recharging, at the very least.

My point about the gunship to scout comparison stands - you're either faster (by a lot) than the GS and turn at the same rate, or you're still faster and can turn better than a GS. If the GS builds for efficiency rather than pure turning/speed, the scout has major advantages in both areas and retains snap energy management (and massive temporary buff) from tensor field. That all combines to make it much easier to land IM, which is what I thought we were talking about.

Energy management by components is comparable (though obviously the base values favor the scout), since tensor can be built as a poor-man's booster recharge, in addition to its inherent massive speed and turning bonuses. If the GS takes regen thrusters, it loses even more access to speed and turning boosts. Again, T3 scout will have a dramatic advantage landing IM hits. And, as you said, once it hits, most of the other differences cease to matter.

The thing keeping the new GS IM usage being reasonable is that it is a gunship, and so can't land IM as effectively as if it were a scout. You can boost (or barrel roll if you have it) out of missile range to avoid certain death from the massive snare, or simply out-turn it if the GS is built for endurance rather than pure turning. Still need to deal with the railgun though.

Edited by Fractalsponge

T5 Tension field can act as a little booster overcharge but without Thruster, T3 scout has lesser mobility than the other scout. Also, None of the secondary weapon is effective/practical in a close range dogfight. (Ion, Emp missile aren't useful in this situation. Thermite is awesome but it's nearly impossible to land a hit on decent pilot who has missile break:() I pretty much relied on just LLC for damage and kill. With two missile breaks, it still has so much survivalbilty and can be as deadly as other scouts in right hand.;) (I won many fights against battlescout with my bloodmark.;))

Tension field seems to work best at start of the match but It also works well in mid of furball. Just need to survive long enough to use it.

T3 GS wouldn't match the T3 scout in all mobility aspect but it got advantage both at range and close combat. Both interdiction and cluster are much easier to land a hit than any of T3 scout missile.

Edited by armpatara

But if I see anyone with a Spearpoint/Bloodmark, that person instantly gains my respect. Especially if they fly it through entire game, not just at the beginning.

You have respect, if someone is using an inadequate tool? Why? :rolleyes:

No. That is a circumstance in which the guy had little choice, that is not the same a going in with a crappy tool knowing that it is a crappy tool and doing it anyways.

Anyways, My flash is absolutely shreded by the bloodmark whenever I see it. I don't know that I would call it sub par (i also haven't used it yet to be fair)

Just in case it's not a typo, I thought I'd point out that the Jurgoran actually does 1.8 deg/s in pitch with +20% in turning. Dulfy's calculator gets pitch/yaw rates with upgrades wrong (the in game tool tip verifies this).

*Shrug* I love my Bloodmark, recently mastered it and decided to keep it on the bar for pure utility (that and additional components - since I have things I want to try)

Once I figured out how to use LLC properly it became downright fun. Ion Missiles while typically underwhelming still can be used to great effect (if you time it right) High shield targets like bombers and strikes are easy to harass this way. I also find the 40% slow useful to straighten out the target a bit for the kill.

Anyways, no this is not the most offensive scout around but its still dangerous. When I am in a domination match where the enemy is switching nodes fast its my absolute goto. Nothing gets there faster, gets your team there faster, or can hump a satellite longer (assuming no bombers)

And despite some of the debate here I find tensor field valuable always, out-maneuvering your opponent is a very strong advantage :D And your teammates like it when it gets dropped on them randomly... free boost eh

Edited by DamascusAdontise

What missile does everyone use? I found ions to be rather pointless and useless, so I went with EMP so I could at least help out on the objective maps (figuring it'll help out more with deathmatches once I get it upgraded to the engine break prevention). I might be willing to give thermites a go if people feel like they have better success there.

I guess my issues that hold me back from liking it so much is that I like and dislike Tensor field at the same time, and the missile options just feel so limited. Maybe if ion didn't stink so much...