Cartel market version of the Pike/Quell: Bring in the class ships

Armonddd

In the past, I've argued against making the class ships playable in GSF. They're too big, I said: the published stats of the Jedi's Defender-class ships put them at ~193,546 m^3, approximately 27 times larger than the Falcon (~7279 m^3) and 225 times larger than an X-wing (~860 m^3).

I think it's time to let that go now. When I'm 500m behind a Pike or Quell, it fills nearly my entire screen. I'm not going to do the trigonometry to calculate the ship's height, but suffice it to say the ships we fly currently are pretty large.

So with scale thrown out the window, I don't see why the class ships couldn't make an appearance. Since they carry both concussion missiles and proton torpedoes, they'd fit as a type 2 strike fighter, which conveniently does not yet have a cartel market version.

We know that the ship models used in GSF are similar, if not identical, to the models used for items such as Model S-13 Sting in the ground game. There are also miniatures for the class ships.

I think it'd be reasonable for this to happen, and I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

Edited by Armonddd

It's clear that the measurements for class ship size as well as the GSF range-to-target being expressed in "meters" are both bunk.

Ranges in GSF should be divided by about 10 given visual proportions of targets. When I'm looking up a Pike's tailpipe, I don't believe my sensors when they say it's five football fields away.

The best way to determine relative scale of class ships to GSF ships is to go to hangars and open the map. There you can see an accurate representation of ship size. Equivalents of Pikes, Razorwires, Blackbolts, Gladiators, etc. are parked all over the game. Interfleet Transport is the first place to look.

I think class ships by their size and configuration just don't work well in GSF. I do think we need cartel market skins that are inspired by them. We should see a fighter that is clearly of the same aesthetic style and manufacturer as the Defender, Fury, XS, Mantis, and Phantom. One could say the Republic Bombers already look a bit like the Thunderclap (i.e. asymmetrical and hideous flying wings).

In the past, I've argued against making the class ships playable in GSF. They're too big, I said: their published stats put them at ~193,546 m^3, approximately 27 times larger than the Falcon (~7279 m^3) and 225 times larger than an X-wing (~860 m^3).

That always kinda irritated me. Especially with the XS being called a "light freighter." Its kinda like between KOTOR and the days of the Ebon Hawk and SWTOR the ship building industry collectively experienced McDonald's "Super Size Me!" Syndrome.

Its still kinda weird to go to my XS and see turbo lasers mounted on a supposed "light" freighter.

Ranges in GSF should be divided by about 10 given visual proportions of targets. When I'm looking up a Pike's tailpipe, I don't believe my sensors when they say it's five football fields away.

Until you mentioned that it never quite occurred to me but you're right. At least that answers how 5 people fit inside a "snub fighter."

That always kinda irritated me. Especially with the XS being called a "light freighter." Its kinda like between KOTOR and the days of the Ebon Hawk and SWTOR the ship building industry collectively experienced McDonald's "Super Size Me!" Syndrome.

Its still kinda weird to go to my XS and see turbo lasers mounted on a supposed "light" freighter.

To clarify, those stats were for the Defender, which (as I recall) is significantly larger than the others.

But it's still a "light corvette".

Until you mentioned that it never quite occurred to me but you're right. At least that answers how 5 people fit inside a "snub fighter."

In my headcanon, everything we fly is about the size of the ships in the movies, and non-copilot crew members are in charge of maintenance and nothing else.

To clarify, those stats were for the Defender, which (as I recall) is significantly larger than the others.

But it's still a "light corvette".

True. I think the official dimensions of the XS make it considerably larger than the Falcon though. Maybe not to the same degree as the Defender but still its kinda weird how everything got supersized in the TOR era. When you look at the size of the lasers on the XS they're still the size of some turbo laser batteries and not the lighter guns like the Falcon's quads.

In my headcanon, everything we fly is about the size of the ships in the movies, and non-copilot crew members are in charge of maintenance and nothing else.

A good policy and one of the reasons I like taking the droids as a co-pilot. Not only is the repair ability useful but I can use the explanation that the droids are mounted in a socket like in the movies to help make sense.

In any event it would be cool to have the class ships as a CM skin.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar