Helped a group do a world boss, left with nothing.

Why not reward people properly instead of some ****** roll gambling system which makes whatever rewards you get plain luck?

Just wasted half an hour of my time.

because thats what mmo's has always done and no one has thought of a better system

If you think your 30min fight with a world boss wasn't worthwhile for the fun in itself, maybe you should try a different game which you actually have fun playing.

As for the loot drops, if you don't win the roll, tough luck, but surely you understood the roll system before you went in to the fight? Some people get the loot, others don't, it doesn't matter anyway - if you're still leveling you'll get some better gear today/tomorrow anyway, and if you're at endgame you'll get better gear elsewhere too.

I guess I'll bring out the age-old sentiment of 'whiners gonna whine'

If you think your 30min fight with a world boss wasn't worthwhile for the fun in itself, maybe you should try a different game which you actually have fun playing.

'

Thing is where is the reward in doing it? Half the reason why people don't group up and do these things is the reward system is based on luck, they're not going to get anything out of it bar the repair bill. They could at least make the world boss like an area mission where you turn in stuff to the mission box.

If I wanted to gamble I'd spent my £8.99 a month subscription on lottery tickets instead.

Thing is where is the reward in doing it? Half the reason why people don't group up and do these things is the reward system is based on luck, they're not going to get anything out of it bar the repair bill. They could at least make the world boss like an area mission where you turn in stuff to the mission box.

If I wanted to gamble I'd spent my £8.99 a month subscription on lottery tickets instead.

Credits and an Achievment, there is your reward

oh yea one other thing i forgot to add:

you dont like random rolling , what would you replace it with ? an honour system in the random PUGs where people are given things they deserve ? have you met the denizens of the internet ?

oh yea one other thing i forgot to add:

you dont like random rolling , what would you replace it with ? an honour system in the random PUGs where people are given things they deserve ? have you met the denizens of the internet ?

Arenanet developers replaced it with a system that looks at each individual's contribution and basically asks "did you contribute enough for a chance to get a purple? Congratulations, you get a purple for your class" and that's going to be in their upcoming game Guild Wars 2.

So I'd replace it with that, I guess.

Arenanet developers replaced it with a system that looks at each individual's contribution and basically asks "did you contribute enough for a chance to get a purple? Congratulations, you get a purple for your class" and that's going to be in their upcoming game Guild Wars 2.

there was a similair thing in , i think , WARhammer

where you got reward on contribution

worked amazing well.. healers pulled guard NPCs onto themselves, healed themselves, always won gold bags

Random cant be abused because its RANDOM, you put in a mechanic, some comedian will exploit it

there was a similair thing in , i think , WARhammer

where you got reward on contribution

worked amazing well.. healers pulled guard NPCs onto themselves, healed themselves, always won gold bags

Random cant be abused because its RANDOM, you put in a mechanic, some comedian will exploit it

I don't think it compares players against each other, because like you said that just encourages anti-social behavior. If you do your best and don't go AFK for half the fight then you get gold contribution like everyone else who does the same.

I don't think it compares players against each other, because like you said that just encourages anti-social behavior. If you do your best and don't go AFK for half the fight then you get gold contribution like everyone else who does the same.

yea that works for cash/tokens, etc rewards

doesnt work if there are drops or "uber items" of which there would only be a few each time

i know what youre saying though, sadly, most of these systems are not cretin-proof

This thread gets +87 literary points for proper use of "denizen" and "cretin".

OP: If you can't stand the thought of helping somebody else without a reward, then a) that's not "help", you are now a mercenary (which is fine but don't tell yourself otherwise), and b) you are playing the wrong game.

Well, its your faul that you didnt talk to the raid leader first and said you want a fair share of one item of the world boss else you dont help.

You know the roll system, you had the chance to ask and clear it first, you did not and are now QQing.

rift HAD a simulair mechanic in thier world rift event raid/ groups. it was shelved as its implementation wasnt balenced with healers, buffers(bards) and tanks. certain spec dps always came out on top. what they went to was a RANDOM reward system.

Thing is where is the reward in doing it? Half the reason why people don't group up and do these things is the reward system is based on luck, they're not going to get anything out of it bar the repair bill.

A repair bill that can generally countered in full by the MONEY you receive for participating.

However, for the OP...if you were NOT part of the Group (i.e.: the boss' health bar was grey), *why* are you expecting a reward other than a "Thank You" from the group?

Your reward was the CHANCE at winning a roll for a piece of gear. its been that way since release, so why would you have expected anything different.

Maybe next time when your asked to help with the world boss, you should stop and ask yourself: "is it worth the 30 minutes of time fighting the world boss if Im unlucky and dont get anything out of it"

Then you can go back to grinding your Blackhole comms instead.

That system sounds like it could end up really flawed. What could you base it on?

At least you got a chance at a roll, I've joined some World Bosses and didnt notice they had Master Looter on and when schematic (that they were spamming as the reason to come do boss) dropped they gave it to one of their own... stuff happens...

I'm pretty sure Guild Wars 2 looks at your contribution and then you make a roll against yourself to see if you get a purple. I.e. if you have at least X contribution and rolled at least a number greater than Y, you get your purple, otherwise no dice. But you can still lose that roll too.

RIFT is still a roll based system too. You can have highest contribution but you can still lose the roll against yourself for the purple planar essence drop. Heck, you usually won't even beat the roll to get a blue planar essence. Now, rolling against yourself means at least you can't be blaming on other members who may or may not deserve the loot, but in the grand scheme of things you're still going to lose just as often against yourself versus against anyone else.

I think 'roll against self' system is probably slightly better just because it'll cut down about people complaining about that guy who died immediately but still won some uber loot due to luck, though it sure won't stop people complaining about how the RNG is broken when you repeatedly lose a roll against yourself.

Public Questing has been around for a few years. WARhammer Rift AoC are just a few of the games that have it. Arenanet is just the latest to copy it.

I am so friggin tired of you people advertising for GW2 ... go play it already ... oh wait its not out ... but have fun crafting all that dye and endless trade spam trying to sell it.

Yes warhammer did. It put up the damage everyone did and gave out loot based on your participation. more damage = better loot

Edited by Foenixz

yea that works for cash/tokens, etc rewards

doesnt work if there are drops or "uber items" of which there would only be a few each time

i know what youre saying though, sadly, most of these systems are not cretin-proof

Sure it works, because the point is helping each other to kill a big boss, not the loot. And you'll out-level those purples anyway in a few levels.

That system sounds like it could end up really flawed. What could you base it on?

Since Guild Wars 2 doesn't appear to have tanking or healing as separated combat roles, a simple APM (actions per minute) should be plenty fair. Even if there are some differences in how fast some classes can max their contribution, this doesn't have to be huge problem if the contribution limits are lenient.

MMOs are not schools, they are theme parks.

Player are not pupils, they are guests.

Developers are not teachers who have to grade their pupils on a curve, they are entertainers.

If throwing purples at players makes them happy and social, then there's nothing stopping the devs from conjuring more virtual items out of thin air.

Public Questing has been around for a few years. WARhammer Rift AoC are just a few of the games that have it. Arenanet is just the latest to copy it.

I am so friggin tired of you people advertising for GW2 ... go play it already ... oh wait its not out ... but have fun crafting all that dye and endless trade spam trying to sell it.

I don't think I'll be playing GW2. They have some good ideas but I've hated every game where dynamic scaling makes it impossible to out-level content.

Yes warhammer did. It put up the damage everyone did and gave out loot based on your participation. more damage = better loot

I was talking about GW2's system. Warhammer's system sounds really stupid and exploitable, but maybe they could have made it work if they had limited it to PVP.

Because that's what rolling for loot is, a mini player versus player competition to cap your PVE kill. Those ninja-looters people hate? They have realized this and take full advantage of this knowledge.

Edited by tkinnunzero