Fan Fiction and Forum Rules

Tatile

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k353/Tatile/forum_rules_zpsab7eaa9d.png

So, I asked Mr. Musco pretty much how far we could push the boundaries when we're posting. I'm sure a lot of posters don't write very explicit materials anyway, but still, this is an interesting thing to know (it's also worth noting that the Community Team seem to have a system in place for fiction, even if their trips to this sub-forum are infrequent.)

I asked a gain about same-gender characters and couples because, even though there are people who write for them, I wasn't sure if there might be writers who are hesitant due to previous incidents that have occurred on the forums when SGRA content is discussed.

So, what do you guys think - useful information? Did you feel like you had to tone certain things down before, when you were unsure? Do you still feel a bit unsure?

Ooh. Thanks for posting this!

I'll keep my fade-to-blacks because of my infinite shame complex but it's good to know. :D

It was tempting to cross post from tumblr to test, but I'm on thin ice as it is XD

I get the feeling they won't allow meat missiles bombarding the love tunnel, if you know what I mean.

God, why can I imagine Corso saying that? Why?

"Meat missile locked and loaded."

I definitely feel more than a little bit unsure.

I try to avoid being to explicit about certain things. There I did it again ;)

It is one thing to use spoilers and trigger warnings.

But there are twelve year olds playing this game, and probably even younger children.

So I have to assume they might be reading what I am writing, regardless or because of trigger warnings.

I ask myself if I would have problems with my own child reading my stories, if they were of that age.

I think it is quite safe to assume that these children have a certain education and know what we are talking about. And when I consider movie ratings, I assume that children see 'worse' things in movies, than what most of us write here in the forum.

Still I'll try to use fade-to-blacks when I think they are appropriate. Probably your imagination will make the scene much better than I could have written it.

And yes, even so I don't consider myself prudish, I don't think stories about meat missiles should be told to twelve year old children.

Thanks for posting this! I know I've toned things down in my own stories and have cut things I thought might be too risque.....I read waaaaayyyyy too many romance novels! That's actually one of the reasons I haven't posted the parts about Bella or Mallay's first times with their respective partners yet. I'm not sure if I'll test the waters too much, but it's good to know for the future.....not to worry though, despite my reading way too many romance novels, I don't think I'm creative enough to get graphic and I wouldn't even if I had the talent.

As far as kids go, I don't mean to sound heartless or uncaring, but I figure if they're old enough to play the game, they're old enough to read the stuff written here....and yes, I have kids of my own. Most 16 year olds could probably teach me a thing or two these days...... I am shocked to hear that kids that young can play SWTOR in Europe though so I can understand the concern there!

I get the feeling they won't allow meat missiles bombarding the love tunnel, if you know what I mean.

God, why can I imagine Corso saying that? Why?

"Meat missile locked and loaded."

Ok, I seriously just made diet coke come out my nose! :D Edited by alaurin

Much like Kabe, shame and a terrible grasp naughty writing will keep me from posting anything risque here. Should

I ever get back to posting here.

I don't generally fade to black, unless my fic is ending there. I tend to PG lead in to it, then allude to the main event happening in neutral language and then pick up again afterward. To me, the event isn't the important part. It's the reasons and feelings and what not. I don't read much romance.

I think I did something similar in one of my Sisterhood installments.

I really appreciate you posting this, Tatile. I'm with both Kabe and Morgani: not pushing the envelope much due to shame. I do get concerned about stuff in Cleaner, though, and its about as explicit as I feel comfortable sharing.

I try to use the game itself as a guide. If it's not any worse than what I've seen (or heard. There are some icky off-screen sound effects on certain stories) in the game, it's fine. Or at least I have a basis for arguging why my ban is unjustified. Not that I've gotten banned or anything.

In the interest of disclosure, the very first "fade-to-black" I got in the game was as part of the (female) Agent line on Nar Shaddaa. I have yet to see another one quite as, erm, explicit as that one.

Meat missle *snicker*

Thanks for asking and posting that up. Anything that lets writers have more freedom is a good thing. I know I could have been a bit less PG-13 in my story (The Well of Undying), and frankly would have enjoyed writing more 'adult' content.

And now knowing that I can actually be more risqué in my storytelling, I feel a bit inspired to come up with something new. :D

Thanks again!