Star Wars Rebels

Fuzion_Fire

Okay so I'm not going to rag on the show too bad but honestly after watching the first episode, I feel like I just watched an episode of Family Guy, the Stormtroopers were comically stupid as well as the art design, I mean I know they are shooting for a younger audience here but seriously it just wasn't right. I don't know if this is just purely because I have spent my life watching the Clone Wars and to me the Clone Troopers are supposed to be these super bad *** elite fighting unit and now that the troopers are the bad guys they have just become this comically stupid fighting force.

To me this just isn't right and based off the first episode I'm not too sure if I will continue to watch the series.

Let me know what you guys think.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I'm not going to rag on the show too bad but honestly after watching the first episode, I feel like I just watched an episode of Family Guy, the Stormtroopers were comically stupid as well as the art design, I mean I know they are shooting for a younger audience here but seriously it just wasn't right. I don't know if this is just purely because I have spent my life watching the Clone Wars and to me the Clone Troopers are supposed to be these super bad *** elite fighting unit and now that the troopers are the bad guys they have just become this comically stupid fighting force.

To me this just isn't right and based off the first episode I'm not too sure if I will continue to watch the series.

so what was wrong with this thread ?

I don't think the Stormtroopers are automatically the clones.

I think they're new guys. There may still be clones among them, but I'm not sure. Did their fate ever get revealed?

Otherwise for all we know the Emperor may have had them "decommisioned" and replaced.

Especially since many of them used to be close to the Jedi until Order 66 overwrote that... but how long Order 66 have lasted? And some of them apparently resisted it in the first place. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66

Haha sorry I didn't mean that I thought they were the clones, I meant that I see them the same as the clones, when I watch the Clone Wars the troopers are a real fighting force but from what I have seen in this episode they aren't they remind me of the troopers from the Family Guy episodes where they are just completely retarded and stupid. For example the ones that were outwitted in the prison cell or the one who caught the grenade....

... I feel like I just watched an episode of Family Guy, the Stormtroopers were comically stupid ... I don't know if this is just purely because I have spent my life watching the Clone Wars and to me the Clone Troopers are supposed to be these super bad *** elite fighting unit and now that the troopers are the bad guys they have just become this comically stupid fighting force.

I don't think the Stormtroopers are automatically the clones.

I think they're new guys. There may still be clones among them, but I'm not sure. Did their fate ever get revealed?

Otherwise for all we know the Emperor may have had them "decommisioned" and replaced.

Especially since many of them used to be close to the Jedi until Order 66 overwrote that... but how long Order 66 have lasted? And some of them apparently resisted it in the first place. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_66

I'm not an expert on Star Wars lore but this reminded me of Star Wars Battlefront 2

Every mission in the game featured intro and outro narration from a 501st trooper, the segments were called '501st Journal'

Here's the relevant one:

||"" after the kamino uprising,

the emperor decided that an army of genetically identical soldiers was too susceptible to corruption.

future troopers would be cloned from a variety of templates.

though the 501st itself remained pure, the rest of the imperial army gradually became more and more diverse.

we never really got used to the new guys. ""||

if Star Wars Battlefront 2 were canon, that means original batch clonetroopers survived from Geonosis (episode 2) to Hoth. (episode 5) according to the '501st Journal' logs.

Edited by Falensawino

Can we all agree on the fact that the toon SW:Rebels in main is a childrens show and thereby treat it as such? The slapstick stormtroopers are there for a reason; namely for the target audience(children) to easily recognize the bad guys. the wookies look silly and cuddly for the same reason; to render income in the sale of toys that unquestionable will come with this show.

See past all this and concentrate on how they(the producers) reshapes the world of Star Wars in general; what and what isn't verified and used from EU, what changes to EU are they implementing and now redone as canon?! I think the discussion of the origin of the Stormtroopers is great, but the "I gonna flunk the whole story because the Storm trooper trip on their own feet and and can't hit a barn door with a tractor" kind of attitude is just childish and in that prospect the show might just be what you need! And yes, Ezra has a cunning resemblance of Aladdin (what the hell were they thinking there?) but I must admit that I smiled amused when the topic was brought up.

And as the comparison to family guy, well, bigger fan of Star Wars then Seth MacFarlane I imagine is hard to find, and their tribute to the origin movies are one of the most brilliant out there, not including the fact that each and any other of their episodes seem to have a Star Wars reference in them.

What I really would like to discuss with you all is;

Ezras connection to the Force and his link to Kaanan, how believable is that? the general feeling of a galaxy post 'order 66'? The test Ezra passes, do we buy it? The Inquisitor in all aspects!

And so much more, but in relation to Star Wars, Canon and Lore wise as well as characters and events in the episodes to come ...

Now, this isn't the droids we're looking for . . . hmm, well! ;) The Star Wars we we're wishing for, no, but that one that comes next december is, and I'll say it again, if SW:Rebels is the alibi Disney need to make us the Star Wars movie we want, then let them have at it, and know that I've been Star Wars starving as much as the rest of us, but stop the silly ranting 'cos in all honesty, the rants says more about the rantee then of the show itself.

And can we please have the discussion in this thread ?!

Edited by t-darko

Sounds like someone is just bitter about the Clone Wars ending. I loved that show, but it had run its course. It would have been great to let them finish up the other episodes for Season 6, but they were basically at the point of running into Episode 3. There wasn't much for them to do after this season anyway. As someone who grew up on the original trilogy, I'm liking this show so far as it feels much more "Star Wars" to me then any of the prequel stuff. Also, you can't seriously be suggesting that Rebels is more juvenile than Clone Wars. The Clone Wars started with that movie, which was just a few episodes strung together, and you had Ashoka calling Anakin "Sky Guy" and him calling her "Snips" and you had that little roly poly Jabba the Hutt baby farting. Clone Wars got good as the show went on but it was 10 times more juvenile at the start than Rebels is at the start. As far the Stormtroopers, they aren't clones or at least most of them aren't. The clones were phased out for a number of reasons. Most SW fans know this. And have you never seen the original trilogy? Did Stormtroopers ever hit anything? They were never an elite fighting force in the original trilogy. They look fine too. It's not a movie. It's an animated show and every animated show has it's own style. It's not intended to look like a 100% reshoot of the movie.

Sounds like someone is just bitter about the Clone Wars ending. I loved that show, but it had run its course. It would have been great to let them finish up the other episodes for Season 6, but they were basically at the point of running into Episode 3. There wasn't much for them to do after this season anyway.
Hardly, TCW was cut short just as it was reaching is peak, their were plenty more stories to tell and more important several stories to be concluded, loose ends they are now trying to tie up.

We missed out on some excellent storytelling, and I don't blame anyone for being bitter.

Edited by Beniboybling

I am going to say most of the time the Storm Troopers werent actually all THAT bad. Zeb had to leave Ezra behind with just 2 of them shooting at him and they almost took his head of multiple times Agent Kalas wasnt firing on him. The only Reason Kanan was able to walk up like that was it was clearly trying to depict him using the Force to dodge the few projectiles that came his way, the rest of them were still laying down supressive fire on the rest of the crew, so werent actually shooting at him.

I felt the DUMBEST moment for the storm troopers and the one that got me was the Ezra escaping part, but the colors on those Troopers, to me suggested that they were more "cadet troopers" then actual storm troopers. I mean I havent ever seen Storm Troopers with blue on their uniform before.

I honestly dont feel the same way about Kalas as some others, I dont think he has failed all that much lately. He has been quite competent. His biggest failure to me was the Trap failure and even then it wasnt a total flop Since he captured Ezra, ultimately the only reason it failed WAS Ezra his intel had nothing on that kid and they had no reason to think their would be another person on the crew to be able to warn them in time with out the pilot getting out of the pilot seat.

The second trap failed only because of his incompetent underlings not because of his own incompetence. Had his underlings not been stupid and let Ezra out he would have succeeded in trap number 2.

And the final of course was the finding out one of your enemies is a Jedi a little to late. Something no one could have predicted. In all scenarios he did the perfect response to them. The first trap, he managed to capture and hold Ezra, the second with Ezra trying to redirect his forces he appropriately split them instead. He then figured out where they were going to go and set a trap for them there again, one that WOULD have worked had it not been for one of the crew being a Jedi as they outgunned them by quit a bit. And finally when it came to discovering a Jedi, he called the exact person he is supposed to call, the Inquisitor. Perfect Imperial Procedure.

"I gonna flunk the whole story because the Storm trooper trip on their own feet and and can't hit a barn door with a tractor" kind of attitude is just childish and in that prospect the show might just be what you need!

Indeed. honestly anyone complaining about that I'm inclined to ask if they've WATCHED the original trilogy. I mean for crying out loud google "stormtrooper effect" the stormtroopers being unable to hit the heros is HARDLY something new.

as for clumsyness well just watch this video

Rebels is aimed at having a very "original trilogy" feel

I saw the Fighter Flight episode early and

In the Episode there is a scene where the Stormtrooper is shooting at Ezra close range and it's pretty clear it's the plot armor. One of the Stormie's shots hit's center mass but Ezra survives no worse for wear because it hit a fruit Ezra was holding right in front of him. Had that fruit not been there as plot armor Ezra would have been dead.

TBH if there are "Redshirts" in the story I'm sure the Stormtrooper Aim would go up. But most of the time we see them shooting at the protagonists. Which means killing them is usually a big no no.

I saw the Fighter Flight episode early and

In the Episode there is a scene where the Stormtrooper is shooting at Ezra close range and it's pretty clear it's the plot armor. One of the Stormie's shots hit's center mass but Ezra survives no worse for wear because it hit a fruit Ezra was holding right in front of him. Had that fruit not been there as plot armor Ezra would have been dead.

TBH if there are "Redshirts" in the story I'm sure the Stormtrooper Aim would go up. But most of the time we see them shooting at the protagonists. Which means killing them is usually a big no no.

That must be some pretty durable fruit, if the bolt just didn't continue to go and blast Ezra, considering how powerful blasters(the E-11 especially) are.

Or plot armor...but right, wounding them seems to be fine though of course that's when plot calls for it too.

Tbh I'm just baffled as to why people act like it's some big deal with Star Wars, when other movies or shows they have had plot armor for protagonists and were never shot dead.

It's literally nothing new for media entertainment.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

]That must be some pretty durable fruit' date='[/b'] if the bolt just didn't continue to go and blast Ezra, considering how powerful blasters(the E-11 especially) are.

Or plot armor...but right, wounding them seems to be fine though of course that's when plot calls for it too.

Tbh I'm just baffled as to why people act like it's some big deal with Star Wars, when other movies or shows they have had plot armor for protagonists and were never shot dead.

It's literally nothing new for media entertainment.

That is exactly what I was thinking lol. That should have gone right through him.

Oh well, at least he can aim. :p

And its cause nobody cares about other media entertainment Wolf, Star Wars 4ever. :D

||"" after the kamino uprising,

the emperor decided that an army of genetically identical soldiers was too susceptible to corruption.

future troopers would be cloned from a variety of templates.

though the 501st itself remained pure, the rest of the imperial army gradually became more and more diverse.

we never really got used to the new guys. ""||

according to the '501st Journal' logs.

A Rebels behind the scenes show called Rebels Recon answered the clone trooper question.

Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group answered the tweeted question (he's one of the deciders of what makes it into canon)

#RebelsRecon Are storm troopers clones of Jango or just randoms recruited for the empire?

Rebels takes place 5 years before Episode IV

republic's clone operations phased out

clonetroopers aged out of service

replaced by civilian recruits

"Fighter Flight" was definitely one of the lighter, goofier episodes, but taken on those terms it wasn't bad. Not every episode needs to be an epic showdown of ultimate destiny, but this one was definitely filler from top to bottom.

Pretty sure the only lasting implications are going to be Zeb and Ezra having bonded now - I'm sure they'll still rag on each other a lot, but it'll probably be much more good-natured. (Although with Greg Weisman writing I wouldn't be surprised if the older guy Ezra knew shows up again as a plot point down the line, since I believe he saw Ezra using the Force.)

Re: the blaster-proof fruit: It was at least consistently pretty tough fruit, in addition to absorbing the shot that hit Ezra (and to be fair he was holding like four of them where he got hit) they seemed to have some serious mass when he was throwing them at the Stormtroopers - they did more damage than his slingshot-blaster.

While it was an overall forgettable episode, there were a few things I liked:

• Ezra's slingshot blaster is established as too weak to penetrate Stormtrooper armor - I really liked how that played out and it made for some interesting dynamics in the fight, with his shots irritating them and throwing off their aim, but not picking them off. For me (and this is obviously a YMMV thing) the gimmick of him having that thing is less annoying when it is clearly limited like that (and like I said in my thoughts on the pilot episode, it does also add some visual variety to the shootouts, which also helps).

• Even in an out-and-out filler episode, there were callbacks to the previous episode, with Ezra constantly reminding Zeb how he saved his life at the end of "Droids in Distress". I'm a big fan of continuity in shows, even those with less serialized, more stand-alone formats, so I take this as a good sign.

• Chopper is turning out to be the sort of comic-relief character I can actually enjoy, which is always nice when watching a show targeted at a young demographic. The gags with him (including sabotaging the bunk) were pretty good (IMO).

I think next week is a Kanan-centered episode, but I hope Sabine gets some screen time soon, I'm still trying to tell if she's going to be a really interesting character, or an annoying one. I hope Hera eventually gets some more character depth than being "team mom" as well - it's too early to really complain about them being one-note characters, but right now she's really striking me as kind of flat.

Edited by DarthDymond

"Fighter Flight" was definitely one of the lighter, goofier episodes, but taken on those terms it wasn't bad. Not every episode needs to be an epic showdown of ultimate destiny, but this one was definitely filler from top to bottom.

Pretty sure the only lasting implications are going to be Zeb and Ezra having bonded now - I'm sure they'll still rag on each other a lot, but it'll probably be much more good-natured. (Although with Greg Weisman writing I wouldn't be surprised if the older guy Ezra knew shows up again as a plot point down the line, since I believe he saw Ezra using the Force.)

Re: the blaster-proof fruit: It was at least consistently pretty tough fruit, in addition to absorbing the shot that hit Ezra (and to be fair he was holding like four of them where he got hit) they seemed to have some serious mass when he was throwing them at the Stormtroopers - they did more damage than his slingshot-blaster.

While it was an overall forgettable episode, there were a few things I liked:

• Ezra's slingshot blaster is established as too weak to penetrate Stormtrooper armor - I really liked how that played out and it made for some interesting dynamics in the fight, with his shots irritating them and throwing off their aim, but not picking them off. For me (and this is obviously a YMMV thing) the gimmick of him having that thing is less annoying when it is clearly limited like that (and like I said in my thoughts on the pilot episode, it does also add some visual variety to the shootouts, which also helps).

• Even in an out-and-out filler episode, there were callbacks to the previous episode, with Ezra constantly reminding Zeb how he saved his life at the end of "Droids in Distress". I'm a big fan of continuity in shows, even those with less serialized, more stand-alone formats, so I take this as a good sign.

• Chopper is turning out to be the sort of comic-relief character I can actually enjoy, which is always a relief when watching a show targeted at a young demographic. The gags with him (including sabotaging the bunk) were pretty good (IMO).

I think next week is a Kanan-centered episode, but I hope Sabine gets some screen time soon, I'm still trying to tell if she's going to be a really interesting character, or an annoying one. I hope Hera eventually gets some more character depth than being "team mom" as well - it's too early to really complain about them being one-note characters, but right now she's really striking me as kind of flat.

I liked how they made that slingshot not hit so hard. I'm hoping this means hes going to be phasing it out eventually for a new weapon.

"In some cultures, when a person saves your life, they are indebted to you". Life debts sound familiar? I like how they really are pushing how Zeb was based on the concept art of the wookiee.

Steve Blum sounds like he was having too much fun voicing Zeb when he hijacked that tie fighter. :D

Stormtrooper: "All of this.. for fruit?"

Had a little laugh from that line.

I'm really hoping that they delve into Sabine and the mandolorian culture. It would be nice to see if the mandolorians toughened up after the collapse of the old pacifist government.

I like Hera. Liked that line in the first episode. “If all you do is fight for your own life than your life is worth nothing" Pulled the heart strings a little bit. Still yeah, I'm hoping we get to see her a bit more in action.

I'm on the fence about this one. So far, the tone seems a bit better than TCW but the goofyness does it no credit. Of course, I never expected it to be worth anything at all in the first place so I'm not really disappointed or anything. If they tone down the little mermaid it might be cool but if not, oh well.

Well Stormtrooper armor has shown some nice durability already, it already was shown before in the movie with the slingshot being ineffective against the armor, Ezra had to fire multiples just to even knock the trooper over.

You also got Stormtroopers surviving a TIE fighter explosion, so...if nothing else at least they are keeping the durability of the armor intact.

In that, they are able to survive explosions/energy/stabbing/environmental hazards. Direct blaster shots no, but then...blasters are pretty powerful anyay in SW, especially military grade/illegally modified ones.

I think folks that its best we get over Stormtroopers, and just watch the show. :p

I'll watch the show, but I won't stop being pissed if Stormtroopers are goofed on. When it's completely based on lies and people not paying attention to their 1st appearances.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I liked the movie very much. It had a nice dynamic between the characters, good character development and the "old school" Star Wars-feel, where things like the force seems like more of a mystery again.

The "mystical" soundtrack when Ezra clearly felt the force was pretty cool. The same goes for the moment where Kanaan's secret was revealed.

The episodes so far has been a bit of a letdown but they certainly haven't been unwatchable like some of TCW early episodes. That being said I really look forward to this show progressing, since there hasn't been good character development in Star Wars since, well - 1983..

Hopefully the show will go a bit darker when it establishes itself, and the villains starts to emerge.

If anyone wanted to watch the episode before it airs on TV next weeks, here you go. The site is safe of course. Been using it for a couple of weeks with no problems.

http://animeflavor.com/star-wars-rebels-episode-5-rise-of-the-old-masters

Best episode yet imo.

Training with Kanan proves difficult for Ezra. They find out the supposed location of Master Luminara in a imperial prison. Turns out Master Luminara was bait and all they find was her corpse.

A trap by the inquisitor. Inquisitor beats Kanan up, with Dooku esque dueling style (Makashi), with a little touch of Grevious with a spinning double lightsaber. They manage to get away.

With the help of mynocks mating call the ship produced. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nickious