The Alt-oholics Anonymous Cantina

In a separate topic, someone was asking about what the endgame is for SWTORians, and someone said that that they were an alt-oholic and only ever got to the endgame once, which describes my own experience perfectly.

So, it inspired me to open The Alt-oholics Anonymous Cantina for those of us who can't seem to close the deal when it comes to the endgame.

I'm curious what your thoughts are on how you decide to start a new alt when you could go to the end, and I'll go first.

For me, I usually play until I reach a point in a class story that sort of stalls for me and feels like I'm no longer enjoying this character's role in the story. In some cases, I've advanced a particular character after spending a ridiculous amount of time getting them looking right for the part I expect they'll be playing in the story that's about to unfold... and by the time I'm approaching the departure from the "starter" planet, and the character is wrong for the part. So, I start new with a different character.

Level 50 seems to be about the average level across my alts, with several of them still in the 20s because that's right about where I'm either getting a good vibe with this one, or I'm not. Or, the story is too soon since the last time I played.

As an example, I'm running a female agent right now, and it's been quite a long time since I was an Agent because while I can remember some of the high points (just encountered Scorpio), I had forgotten what an interwoven story it is to play through. Very enjoyable!

Another reason why I have so many alts is because many of them have gear that I just love, and am pretty sure I can never acquire as a legacy subscriber who only plays casually as a solo PVE'r. Since I can't transfer it, I sure don't want to LOSE it, either.

I've played to the very end of the current storyline, not counting the new Iokath and uprisings and such.

The other things I do to keep variety is alternate between planet stories and heroics to buffer the class story leveling. My agent is class stories and heroics, for example.

Alright, shutting up to let someone else talk for a change.

Besides, I'm sure as some of you share your experience as an alt-oholic, I'll see some of my other reasons in your stories. :jawa_biggrin:

I'm primarily a roleplayer, and my core legacy characters (all the main eight, plus repeats for agent/smuggler/inquisitor/consular) are toons I've rolled for story purposes. They do all tie into one another in a seriously convoluted web that I'm not even going to TRY and explain here, because they're all related (or in the case of my consular/smuggler repeats, cross-faction equivalents...) and this family group is even more dysfunctional than the Shans or Skywalkers. XD My other alts were random rolls that I came up with for the species unlocks, primarily done during the huge DvL event last summer, and most of those I deleted when they hit the 50 mark so I could re-roll another toon. Although I did wind up keeping my Twi'lek as she's SUCH a fun character to RP without being tied in to the rest of my legacy. I'm sure I'll eventually find a story-based tie-in for her, and I'll probably eventually fall in love with another alien-species character enough to keep them around for long-term story purposes.

But yeah. tl;dr- most of my alts are roleplay and some were just species unlocks. I've only finished KOTET and Iokath on one character out of the 18 slots I have open. >.>

I have 16 mains, 0 alts.

The only issue I have, is getting them endgame setgear. Getting them in 248 gear through legacy gear is a decent grind for 2 characters (mando/merc fx.) but then you gotta do it with every damn class.

I hate that system. Bring back warzone commendations already!

My situation is slightly different in that I play all my characters to cap. Spread across multiple servers, I got 54 characters to Lv65, and I hit 70 on my first character yesterday. (I left the game for a while)

Retirement + being disabled = plays a lot.

at the moment i have 12 toons. no main really. 1 at 70 ,1 at 63, 4 at 50-56 ,2 in their 30's 1 just past the starter planet and 1 still on tython cause eh. i mostly just enjoy leveling more than i do being in a group or trying to get the best gear. i also like to try every combo i can far as race/class/advance class and i usually try to have at least one ds toon though mostly i prefer ls.

My situation is slightly different in that I play all my characters to cap. Spread across multiple servers, I got 54 characters to Lv65, and I hit 70 on my first character yesterday. (I left the game for a while)

Retirement + being disabled = plays a lot.

I know that, plus a bad Nursing home i left.

For me, at the start, there are 2 things that drive my decision to alt-ivate. First is the personal starship and second is the companion.

I wanted to own and experience the interior layout of each class of personal starship and the moment I get one, I alt-ivate another char to go for the next new starship class. Companion is quite self-explanatory.

After all the starships and companions are acquired and experienced, I alt-ivate to experience different classes of abilities skill. Last but not least, I alt-ivate also for different races.

All my 18 chars are at max lvl 70 and now is the part for grinding cxp to gear them.

Yea, same too here for me. I am a loser who just simply for whatever reasons (lazy and not working hard is not one of them) can't earn any single cents from society and I am broke, no wife, no assets, no nothing but only loving parents who still house me and provide me with internet access and sub to allow me to still live on this world for another few more decades before my natural lifespan expires -> lots of time to play swtor.

Edited by Einobi

I am different again.

I have 29 characters which my mild case of OCD compels me to bring to 70, most already are.

My characters are built around a concept or an idea, sometimes it is a chest piece I like and I will build an entire character and story around it, could be a weapon, it might even be a conversation I want to experience with a specific character.

Some characters do not live up to expectations and get deleted.

I think the smallest thing I have based a character on is those little black John Lennon type sunglasses from the Cyborg Cybernetics options.

Currently: 43 characters, most level 70. One character on a server I'm not planning to expand (make more characters) on. One character made solely to run with Darth Marr as an active companion. One storing Remnant armor sets. The rest are mains. I tend to make pairs of characters in mirror speccs.

I wanted to experience all 8 class stories, and those were my first mains.

Create, Delete, Repeat

I love the first two chapters of the Smuggler story, and have made numerous Smugglers and deleted them after completing the Smuggler class story's chapter two. >15 such characters, less than 20, I think. I stopped counting.

Why Can't I Just Throw My Lightsabers

For the first two years I played SWTOR, I was burst ranged DPS 4-life, with a few ventures into healing on rDPS classes I could respecc to healer. I watched someone who is very good at being a Sentinel/Marauder, and decided to try melee DPS. I did not enjoy it. Now I only play them for level cap increases, to avoid making new ones.

Dude, Where's My Resource?

Acknowledging that there's more to DPS life than burst, I created new characters to try DoT rDPS. I had burst instincts, little understanding of proper rotation, and less patience for damage ticking away. I kept playing DoT like a burst specc, and the game was having none of that. I continually ran out of resource because I didn't play the speccs right. 2 characters, later deleted.

Me Play a Male?

I'm female, and after about 2+ years of play, all of my characters were female. I made a male Smuggler out of curiousity about the difference in the voice acting, and the story. I learned that female characters get severely short changed when it comes to flirt options. I prefer the female Smuggler voice acting, and I deleted the male Smuggler. I made a male JC because I really do not like the female JC voice acting. The JC story still bored me to tears, but I liked the male JC voice acting. I kept the male Sages, the only male main characters I have.

Slam That Lightsaber to the Ground

I'd tried tanking on a Vanguard and a Jugg a couple of years earlier. I did not enjoy tanking, and deleted those characters. I decided to give tanking another go on a Jugg because I love the female SW voice acting, and the SW story. I still didn't like tanking. Instead of deleting the character, I switched it to DPS. I didn't expect much because of my experience with Sentinel/Marauders. I loved playing a Jugg DPS. The animations and the rotation are so fun to me. The JK story bores me, but I made Guardian DPSers as well, for symmetry.

Busting out of Burst

I saw a video of someone playing a max level Engineering Sniper, and I was intrigued. I made an Engineering Sniper. I didn't enjoy the low to mid-level play. But, at high to max level, I had fun playing Engineering Sniper. I'm leveling up the Republic mirror class and specc, and I hope I enjoy it as much as I do the Eng. Sniper. 2 Engineering Sniper mains on two different servers; and the Pub mirror I'm currently leveling.

And that's how I came to be in this cantina. I'll be in the corner, nursing an orange juice.

Edited by Nmyownworld

I'm a bit of a recovering alt-oholic. I have had at most 26 active toons and have started and deleted a couple dozen more. Since the DvL event burned me out on all these alts, I started retiring my core group (which was about 18 or so). I'm now down to 11 toons altogether, with nine 70s and the other two on the way.

I have rerolled by far more imps, because the stories are better and I enjoy the RP those stories provide. I have pubs for achievements only, mostly, as I only have one that I'm attached to as far as getting her through all content. I just started a new JC because I've simply burned myself out on imps for awhile and I'm enjoying getting back to the pub side after being away for so long. It might rekindle my desire to go back to my imps in the long run.

Feeling so burned out lately though. Been playing since launch and I need to take a longer break than the one week here and two weeks there. I've tried to get away before but keep coming back pretty quickly (nothing else really holds my interest like SWTOR does (and KOTOR before it)).

I've got 2 "mains" (a JK & SW) and about 20 alts. (Ranging from lvl 2-70) :D It pretty much depends on the mood I'm in, and lately which one had companions come back in KotFE/KotET. The ones who've had companions I like return are the ones I play most. Others (stares at my JC, SI, Mando, & Smugglers) tend to stall right after SoR.

I'm taking a break now that there's no new story and the focus is on endgame stuff. I haven't played in about a month now. Been replaying the Mass effect Trilogy again. I probably won't even log on for anything other than making sure I keep my guilds until the next story chapter is released.

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

I've played since launch and done all the stories in the first 6 months. But now I exclusively pvp as pve bores me.

I enjoy all the different brackets of pvp and often train people up, so over the years I've had to roll new toons a lot, I also get attached to those toons, so I don't delete and reroll. Just on Harb I've got about 42 toons across 2 accounts (that's another story), but I've got between 1-5 Alts on every other US servers and a couple of EU ones. With out logging in to count, I would say I have about 55 toons. I've also played over 10000 hours, about 9000 hours just in pvp, probably a lot more.

Edited by Icykill_