Beware of fake email

Glimmerstrike

Just a heads-up

PURE ******** LISTED BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Star Wars account(s).

As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.

If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.

It will be ongoing for further investigation by LucasArts's employees.

If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with: :

xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxxxxxxx

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

* Secret Question and Answer

Show * Please enter the correct information

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. 2011 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ PURE ******** ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by Noviru
filtering dodging

I contact someone here in form, sure they can give you email to forward that email too Custom Service.

They know about it -- I just received another one today -- I reported it to CS

------------------------------------ Received from SWTOR CS----------------------

" Thank you for informing us about the suspicious mail that you received.

After looking into this, we can confirm that the email you received was not legitimate. We would ask that you do not reply to it, or click on any links that it contains as doing this may compromise the security of your account.........................................

I did not see any sort of official announcement from BW to guard against this so I posted here though I will likely get banned for it. Just hate to see anyone get screwed over in the community.

Just look at the headers that is the same email that comes out of china every day, they just change the words on it.

if you want to parse that email go to spamcop.net and put in the headers and the source of the email. I bet you it comes from china.net.

Yes we all seen that email a thousand times usually they are trying to get my wow account, i get a kick out of it as I dont have one.

I did not see any sort of official announcement from BW to guard against this so I posted here though I will likely get banned for it. Just hate to see anyone get screwed over in the community.

Two things.

1: Why on earth would you think you'd get banned for this?

2: ... why on earth would you need an official announcement from Bioware about every single specific phishing attempt?

"And in other news....Nigerian princes are offering rewards of up to 6 million dollars to anyone who will help them funnel their funds into America. Simply submitting your personal banking information will allow you to partake of such extraordinary opportunites..."

Seriously, it's 2012. Fake emails like these have been around for 10 years already.

I wonder where they are getting the emails from? What other SWTOR sites have you guys signed up to?

I have often wondered this as well Diablo. A couple of years ago I signed up for a WoW account (yep, finally broke down and tried it).

I had never received any gaming phishing scam e-mails before, but right after signing up for the WoW account, I started getting them. The e-mails were not just phishing scams for WoW either, they were for games I have never played as well. I still get them intermittently.

So where exactly do these scammers get our e-mails from?

And I have not signed up for any third party gaming sites with my e-mail (like torhead, etc).

Because there are people who still fall for it.

The point was that there's a massive number of distinct, different versions of the phish. Expecting an announcement on each of them, or even on a single one other than a generic 'protect your account' thing that they have along with the authenticator, is silly.

I wonder where they are getting the emails from? What other SWTOR sites have you guys signed up to?

it's fishing they might not have signed up for any other SWTOR sites... I've gotten this same fishing letter but for WoW on the e-mail I use for this game despite the fact I created it last Christmas for this game and have never used it for anything else

Yeah. I received email for WoW which I have not played in over a year. I logged in with fake account name and expletives for the password.

Whoa, did you click on the link in the email? Not good, even if you put phony information in the link they sent you, I can guarentee that they have keyloggers on that website. If you did visit it I suggest you start scanning your system with MalwareBytes ASAP.

it's fishing they might not have signed up for any other SWTOR sites... I've gotten this same fishing letter but for WoW on the e-mail I use for this game despite the fact I created it last Christmas for this game and have never used it for anything else

But that doesn't answer the question... how are these people getting our e-mail addresses in the first place?

Bioware has already told us that any e-mails coming from any address not theirs is not theirs.

They have told us to protect our accounts.

Heck, if someone has a working brain at all they should be able to recognize that this e-mail would do nothing to help anyone resolve the problem that they are saying exisits, and that should make them suspicious.

If they were to announce every variation on every scam that anyone might try to pull on a player, they would fill pages of the forums, and for what?

To tell people that a 'friend' of theirs that sent them an e-mail, offered no details of the friendship, but that was thinking about trying out SWTOR and was wondering if you would mind sending them your account name and password so that they could try it out one day while you were at work (but again, never asking what hours or days you work) is trying to scam them, and then to repeat that same thing replacing 'friend' with mother, father, sister, brother, cousin, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle, or whatever generation of grandparent or grandchild?

If a person actually falls for something like this, it is not Bioware's fault because they didn't post a specific warning.

But that doesn't answer the question... how are these people getting our e-mail addresses in the first place?

from anywhere... companies routinely sell lists of e-mails... hell I'm sure places like Hotmail and G-mail themselves sell lists...

I usually create a new email for each game, something like "fvffd12#SwD@whatever.com", then I never use it for anything else. Strangely enough after some time I often end up getting those emails anyway :mad:

from anywhere... companies routinely sell lists of e-mails... hell I'm sure places like Hotmail and G-mail themselves sell lists...

Well yeah, but I find it awfully suspicious that I never got any of these types of e-mails (other spam, sure, but not MMO related e-mails) until right after I signed up for a WoW account.

/puts tin foil hat on :p

Yep, I have gotten the exact same e-mail for games that I have never played....

I got an e-mail like that from WOW, and I never played WOW! Also, a player named SWTORS (yes, you read correctly), which I promptly reported, whispered me ingame with vague menaces of account perma-ban if I didn't "verify" it in the link he promptly gave me! Not to mention the gold (pardon, credits) sellers that sometimes send me ingame mail! :D

Just a heads-up

PURE ******** LISTED BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Star Wars account(s).

As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.

If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.

It will be ongoing for further investigation by LucasArts's employees.

If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with: :

xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxxxxxxx

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

* Secret Question and Answer

Show * Please enter the correct information

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. 2011 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ PURE ******** ABOVE ^^^^^^^^^^

I did not read past your original post, but the one thing you "ALWAYS" want to do when you get a suspicious email to to go and select " check/read/show FULL HEADERS".

This will tell you if the email is legit, I get these fake emails all the time and just laugh .

Edited by Dein_Cathair