Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I dont understand Empire...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I dont understand Empire...

KelKrios
05.22.2020 , 07:02 AM | #1
I really don't get the whole concept of the Empide and how it grew to the behemoth it is in swtor. Other than plot armor, it makes no sense. You have an absentee emperor, Darths that kill each other on hourly basis for personal gain and soldiers used willy nilly for cannon fodder. Its like if Nazi Germany was killing off all of its greatest soldiers and generals and still somehow able to expand to cover half the globe.

I tried playing sith warrior and inquisitor and each time the story goes like "wow you are really strong, thanks for helping the empire, now I must kill you." One of my tools killed like 5 darths and nothing bad happened. "Yes, you can absolutely rule this country! Please kill some more darths."

BAH!

And why is every sith I meet is a psycho mass murderer?! Lana is a nice change of pace but everyone else....

FlameYOL
05.22.2020 , 07:24 AM | #2
Maybe the Empire expands through dumb luck alone, they're too dumb to completely lose
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

SteveTheCynic
05.22.2020 , 08:25 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by KelKrios View Post
I really don't get the whole concept of the Empide and how it grew to the behemoth it is in swtor. Other than plot armor, it makes no sense. You have an absentee emperor, Darths that kill each other on hourly basis for personal gain and soldiers used willy nilly for cannon fodder. Its like if Nazi Germany was killing off all of its greatest soldiers and generals and still somehow able to expand to cover half the globe.
Your comment about the Third Reich is closer to reality than you appear to think. They *did* often kill off or at least seriously hobble their top people, and it did eventually cost them.
And why is every sith I meet is a psycho mass murderer?! Lana is a nice change of pace but everyone else....
Some are, some aren't. Consider these, for example:
* Darth Marr. He's a bad man for sure, but he takes a pragmatic approach to his badness.
* Darth Gravus. To be sure, much of his calm is due to fatigue and such, but he does not approach the Empire's goals as a goggly-eyed maniac.
* Darth Lachris. She's more enthusiastic about killing people than Darth Marr or Lana, but she does it to advance the Empire, not for the thrill of it.
* Acina, both as Darth(1) and Empress. If you get in her way, she'll rub you out just like the most goggly-eyed Sith would, but if you're just standing nearby, no, and she certainly won't do in allies just for the lulz.

I'd also point out that while Lana doesn't *seek out* opportunities to kill people, she has no compunction about doing it when necessary, and she has a more permissive definition of "when necessary" than most of us would have in the Real World. (Think: it's clear that she hesitates about killing Tanek out of concern for the player character, not out of any personal reluctance.)

(1) During the Seeker Droid missions.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language

ceryxp
05.22.2020 , 08:49 AM | #4
You're missing an important piece to your puzzle. The infighting among the Dark Council is a recent event. For most of the Empire's history (at least Tenebrae's Empire) the Emperor was directly involved and kept the Dark Council in check. If you read Drew Karpyshyn's novel Revan you see that to be the case. The long periods of absence are fairly recent events in terms of the Empire's total history, and it shows in several ways that the Empire is suffering due to that infighting and the power plays.
============================================================
Friends of SWTOR Referral program - My Referral Link
New players can get a Jumpstart Bundle. Returning players can get a Preferred Friends Bundle & 7-days of premium time. Bundles are given on first use only.

KelKrios
05.22.2020 , 08:59 AM | #5
Right. Towards the end, the nazzis were killing off talent for fear of treason and more. This lead to a rather swift decline in military performance, morale and so on.

Thats my point, how long can a government structure last with these kinds of shenanigans. I guess I find it frustrating while doing the story content along with side quests and all,every five steps intake there's a yellow eyed pasty maniac with plans for world domination, some horrible plague or just plain ole genocide. First thing gravus says to me: I want to complete Taris destruction. WHY? Scorched earth strategy? Again, why? Wouldn't a planet be of use to you with resources and able-bodied creatures to mine them? Why make rackghoul plague worse then kill everything?! Belsavis and hot are the only two planets with sensible imperials. Even those are few and far between.

Obviously I'm not destined to play empire. But after completing bounty hunter, sith warrior and sith inquisitor story lines i can say that the success of the empire is a huge mystery to me. It should not exist at all

JuventusAndFCK
05.22.2020 , 12:05 PM | #6
Right. Towards the end, the nazzis were killing off talent for fear of treason and more. This lead to a rather swift decline in military performance, morale and so on.
You should reread your history on the period between the wars. The Nazi's were killing off their own throughout the period which they were active. Most famously the night of the long knives, which took place several years before the outbreak of the war.

MadDutchman
05.22.2020 , 03:33 PM | #7
The game very much shows the decline of the Empire as a result. Especially in the IA and LS SI stories.

Many people saw the folly and inevitable destruction. The game takes place in that transition period though, we don't see much of what came before in game (novels cover that)

People like Marr are the ones who try and reign things in and get it back on track (major plot element in FA and SOR)
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Erevan_Kindelar
05.22.2020 , 05:01 PM | #8
The Sith (as opposed to the Imperial Army, which just tried to make the best of their bat***** crazy Force users) were, up to and including the sacking of Coruscant, a group of self-serving power-hungry individuals bound together by the threat of an eenmy that was powerful enough to defeat and completely destroy them - The Republic with their Jedi protectors..
After the sacking of Coruscant, the Jedi were severely weakened and the Sith saw a chance of victory before eventually signing the Treaty of Coruscant.
Once the Sith realised that the Republic was no longer the huge threat to them that it had been, they started to see other Sith as their primary enemies, and many Sith started to manoeuvre among themselves, jockeying for power within the Sith order.
Effectively, as the threat of external force that was forcing them to co-operate decreased, the individual Sith reverted to their underlying natures, plotting against rivals within the Sith order, thus weakening the Empire and removing their ability to finish off the Republic and ultimately leading to their situation at the end of the class stories on Corellia.
I am telling the truth, honestly! I am as honest as the day is long! Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving.
Like most other subs, I have a Referral Link. Clicking it gets you some stuff, and me some stuff too.

jedimasterjac
05.24.2020 , 05:05 PM | #9
WHY? Scorched earth strategy? Again, why? Wouldn't a planet be of use to you with resources and able-bodied creatures to mine them? Why make rackghoul plague worse then kill everything?! Belsavis and hot are the only two planets with sensible imperials. Even those are few and far between.
I won't deny that Gravus is insane, but with the specific case of Taris there really isn't much worthwhile investment. The Republic has learned this lesson the hard way -- the amount of resources and manpower necessary to rebuild Taris, or even make it habitable, is not worth any potential resource gain.

Taris doesn't even seem to have valuable resources (sans scrap metal). The Republic's investment in the planet is purely symbolic and moral.

The reason the Empire even cares about removing Taris from the Republic is because Taris is in imperial territory, not because of any resource value. So why not go to whatever terrible length you can to reject the territory from the Republic?
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

cool-dude
05.27.2020 , 05:19 PM | #10
That is why I like the Eternal alliance. A monarchy that pretty much embodies the best of both factions.