How George Lucas May Erase Star Wars "Original Trilogy" from canon

Arumat

Now, we hate to perpetuate rumors that may not have any basis in reality, but this latest bit of "Star Wars" left-field scuttlebutt has intrigued us because, well, it kinda makes sense. And if George Lucas isn't, in fact, planning on doing what this rumor claims he's planning on doing, he may want to consider it.

We're talking about nuking the Star Wars universe. Or, more specifically, erasing the original trilogy and all its goodness from the world for good.

The rumor - which, again, is extremely tenuous - claims that the in-development live-action "Star Wars" TV series (which Lucas claims has "over 50 hours" worth of scripts just sitting on a shelf, waiting) will begin with a group of bounty hunters discovering a way to travel through time. Armed with this new-found ability, they head back to the Clone Wars era and prevent Anakin Skywalker from becoming Darth Vader.

Source: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/How-George-Lucas-May-Erase-Star-Wars-And-Why-Thats-a-Good-Idea-138583519.html

Rumors are rumors, but for some reason I wouldn't put this past him.

Discuss.

Edited by Arumat

First its Lucas's story and not ours so he can do what he wants really but I doubt he would do this. What Lucas should do is have movie cannon and then everything else call...

Alternative Universe instead of expanded.

Star Trek basically does this where everything out of the TV shows and the movies for those shows (TOS & TNG) is cannon but all books/audio stories, comics etc are NOT so this allow new ideas to flesh out characters and the universe without messing cannon up.

First its Lucas's story and not ours so he can do what he wants really but I doubt he would do this. What Lucas should do is have movie cannon and then everything else call...

Alternative Universe instead of expanded.

Star Trek basically does this where everything out of the TV shows and the movies for those shows (TOS & TNG) is cannon but all books/audio stories, comics etc are NOT so this allow new ideas to flesh out characters and the universe without messing cannon up.

the problem with the way ST does it is that they fk up their own canon and contradict themselves so often not only between series but during the same series and sometimes even during the same episode that "canon" is basically non-existent in the ST universe... don't get me wrong I enjoyed the shows for what they were... it just seems like the writers never talked to each other or watched any of the other ST series, movies or episodes but just read the little TV guide summary and went from their

Source: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/How-George-Lucas-May-Erase-Star-Wars-And-Why-Thats-a-Good-Idea-138583519.html

Discuss.

that's not even close to being correct... Lucas already said the Live action TV series he was working on (was to be called "Star Wars: Underworld"), which is on hold now for budgeting reasons.. Lucas announced in 2011 that 50 scripts had been completed.. also he said flat out it is not about ANY of the major characters... it was to take place between ep 3 and 4 while the empire is still building up and be about the more minor people in the SW galaxy.. but as of now they haven't even started filming cause Lucas won't pony up the cash to kick it off

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

Edited by Liquidacid

He deletes it piece by piece.... when they had to make a press conference saying the "NOOOOO" at the end of ROTJ was real, that's when I realized, he can do anything he wants to his slock, we can only wait till he's dead before we can change them back.

Kind of messed up how he was apart of the opposition against Ted Turner many years ago in regards to him modifying original works of film, more or less about him colorizing classic black and white films, and Lucas saying that it destroys the originality and feel of those classics and challenged if he even had the right to do it; that it's like if someone wanted to modify the Mona Lisa..... but now he's turned hypocrite, but he DIDN'T Direct ESB, and should be held accountable and be kept from trashing atleast that... it's not his work of art, it was someone else's, someone who doesn't require editing to save his butt

Edited by Darth_Malevolent

the problem with the way ST does it is that they fk up their own canon and contradict themselves so often not only between series but during the same series and sometimes even during the same episode that "canon" is basically non-existent in the ST universe... don't get me wrong I enjoyed the shows for what they were... it just seems like the writers never talked to each other or watched any of the other ST series, movies or episodes but just read the little TV guide summary and went from their

that's not even close to being correct... Lucas already said the Live action TV series he was working on (was to be called "Star Wars: Underworld"), which is on hold now for budgeting reasons.. Lucas announced in 2011 that 50 scripts had been completed.. also he said flat out it is not about ANY of the major characters... it was to take place between ep 3 and 4 while the empire is still building up and be about the more minor people in the SW galaxy.. but as of now they haven't even started filming cause Lucas won't pony up the cash to kick it off

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld

while it's true we really don't know anything about what it is. Never ever use Wookipedia as a source for Star Wars information. That site is just consistently wrong. I could give you example after example where articles just pull information out of their asses.

Discuss.

This rumor is weeks old. It's appeared in several threads already here.

And it's completely fake. I think someone thought it'd be fun (given all of George's changes for the Blu-Rays and potential changes in the upcoming 3D films, and the indefinite hold placed on the live action series) to put forward a rumor that the live action series will do to Star Wars what JJ Abrams' Star Trek did to THAT particular IP: reboot it in an alternate reality.

This has 'fan trolling' written all over it. There's lots of vocal backlash over the Prequels (epitomized by the popularity of the Plinkett reviews over the last couple years); there's a lot of vocal backlash over George altering the Original Trilogy to 'fit' better with the Prequels, rather than crafting the prequels to fit seamlessly into the originals, and backlash over his justification that he's fulfilling his 'original vision' which goes back to 1997's Special Editions and crap like Greedo shooting first. AND a lot of people keep asking for the unaltered original trilogy films properly released on Blu-Ray or DVD to fit all our fancy new TVs.

Wouldn't take much for a bored guy to spin a 'what if they remade Star Wars like Abrams' Trek?' discussion among friends into a rumor that the TV series is gonna do just that: introduce time travel (a concept barely ever used in Star Wars, and usually--far as I know--only performed by Force-users), and that the travelers' intend to rewrite history, completing the alteration to the original trilogy by negating it outright, and riling up the fan base with that idea.

It's a rumor, and most likely completely false. Yes, George could wind up THAT crazy, and it'd still make sense for him because rewriting the originals means he--or his handpicked successors--could remake Episodes IV-VI to mesh perfectly with the PT and use a fresh new cast and maybe new characters and use all the concepts he changed his mind about in the years between '83 and '97. And it'd bring in tons of money in new ticket sales, Blu-Ray sales, merchandise... because even if the riled-up fan base abandoned ship, the general public will still go out in droves to check them out.

Depends on the amount of money he could make of it. But seriously, if he hasn't alrdy thought of this stop giving him ideas. He's getting senile enough to just try this.

Lucas was out of touch with reality long before senility started to become any sort of factor.

Lucas had admitted that he wasn't a very good writer or director in interviews..... why he went ahead and directed the prequels? To prove something to everyone that he could do as good of a job as Irvin Kershner did in Empire Strikes Back or Spielberg did for Indiana Jones. Everyone says Star Wars was saved in editing and even the documentary says the first cut of Star Wars was a disaster... With all these criticisms I think he had something to prove with the prequels.

With constantly changing the canon, I think that's to get back at us, he knows what he's doing gets to us as shown in this photo of him wearing a t-shirt that say's "Solo Shot First"

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...q409o1_500.jpg

Between us saying the prequels were crap, never accepting Jar Jar Binks- a character he obviously put a lot of emphasis on since he placed him in all 3 movies and an integral part in ROTS. Everything he's doing now, I honestly think it's to get back at us subtly.

Think about it this way, Lucas "So you don't like the no at the End of ROTS huh? Boom! Now he says it at the end of ROTJ, Say Something ELSE!!! Hated Jar Jar Binks? Boom! Ewoks can blink, SAY SOMETHING ELSE!!!" lol

Lucas had admitted that he wasn't a very good writer or director in interviews..... why he went ahead and directed the prequels? To prove something to everyone that he could do as good of a job as Irvin Kershner did in Empire Strikes Back or Spielberg did for Indiana Jones. Everyone says Star Wars was saved in editing and even the documentary says the first cut of Star Wars was a disaster... With all these criticisms I think he had something to prove with the prequels.

With constantly changing the canon, I think that's to get back at us, he knows what he's doing gets to us as shown in this photo of him wearing a t-shirt that say's "Solo Shot First"

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk...q409o1_500.jpg

Between us saying the prequels were crap, never accepting Jar Jar Binks- a character he obviously put a lot of emphasis on since he placed him in all 3 movies and an integral part in ROTS. Everything he's doing now, I honestly think it's to get back at us subtly.

Think about it this way, Lucas "So you don't like the no at the End of ROTS huh? Boom! Now he says it at the end of ROTJ, Say Something ELSE!!! Hated Jar Jar Binks? Boom! Ewoks can blink, SAY SOMETHING ELSE!!!" lol

I think you are correct. When he made the first series. The media was heavily on him as they are now. Times have changed since he made his massive hits. The news media for one asks alot more questions, and information get's shared very quickly.

I think when he changed the first series, the wave of negative back attack hit him hard. So hard he said he would quit hollywood. Now that's he's an aging person maybe he want's Star Wars to die with him. Wouldn't it be werid after all this time, if he just "erased" star wars.

That would make almost every people have bought from the series, without meaning. If there was no darth vadar, then thing's wouldn't have turned out. Sucks a person can actually take a series people enjoy. And kill it if he want's to. What about everyone invested money into his films, cups, etc and a star wars fan.

No more Darth Vadar? it's so strange he would do this. I think it's a complete lie. He needs the saga to keep everyone star wars related alive from cartoons, to TV shows to ..MMO's. It could go either way.

The scripts for Episodes 1, 2 and 3 were terrible. If he wants to erase something from his universe, start with midichlorians and work your way through until you get a cohesive plot that makes some sense.

Those other three, the good ones (New Hope, Empire and Jedi) leave those alone. If he had started with Phantom Menace instead of New Hope, no one would care, and no one would have wanted to see Send in the Clones.

That said, it's all just a rumor anyway as was clearly delineated in posts above mine, but I don't put anything past Lucas nowadays.

For the people saying, "I wouldn't put it past him!" Get off your high horses. You people are what's ruining Star Wars. There could be more if it wasn't for you, but alas we who enjoy them are forced to suffer. So that you can feel like you have a higher taste. -_- Thanks....

For the people saying, "I wouldn't put it past him!" Get off your high horses. You people are what's ruining Star Wars. There could be more if it wasn't for you, but alas we who enjoy them are forced to suffer. So that you can feel like you have a higher taste. -_- Thanks....

Who's on their high horse? Us or You? Im confused... the way your speaking makes me think your saying what we say as crap isn't actually crap and it isn't because of a horrible writer and director ruining Star Wars, it's us? And "You" are one of the few who can appreciate the slock he throws out there to make merchandise off of? But anyways, if JJ Abrams was the director of the prequels, they would have been great, I assure you

If you think that the PT films are good films, then we do indeed have a higher taste than you. Thanks.

If you think that the PT films are good films, then we do indeed have a higher taste than you. Thanks.

For the record I enjoyed all the movies.

Then again I don't look too much into things and enjoy something for what it is and not try and 'find' reasons to hate it.

Though people should really look at it in the other prospective. If someone new to star wars wants to watch the movies now, the most logical thing to do is start from episode 1 and move on to 6. most likley 4-6 will be the one to not make sense and be worse than the others.

But the ones that hate prequels usually either had the "pleasure" of seeing 4-6 first, or joined the band wagon that 4-6 is better and 1-3 is their guilty pleasure.

I for one like the PT films, I loved Ep3 the best . Anakin vs Obi-wan was the best fight in SW movies period.

I do not pay attention to JarJar and think Lucas had a moment where he did what he wanted and didn't care what people thought ...............as usual

I am happy he directed them and do not think that they would be anywhere the same if anyone else did.

With that said , his whole Canon and none Canon bs is killing the love for the brand.

Alot of people are still and even more SW fans because of EU but when Lucas talks about EU , he says it all doesn't matter and everything before the movies and after does not happen.

I think Lucas had a good idea, and I think it is not love for the brand that he does what he does, it is because he does not want to see anyone make his property better than what he could !

I even at 32 years old watch Clone Wars on CN and like that also.

Lucas forgets that SW has paid for him to have his lovely life, and all taht money came from mostly his SW following who love more than just his movies . I think he should respect EU a little more and maybe allow those characters more life than just saying they are garbage nonefactors .

Anakin will always be my favorite character (before vadar and vadar) but to keep on making him number 1 in this or that is killing off the things I liked about Anakin the most .......his ability to be related to. To me he was human and beatable but was skilled enough to overcome , but Lucas here of late with his EU bashing has made Anakin out to be more than Human and relateable .

Lucas make books and EU into canon please !

Personally, I think it is a shame that Lucas made three more far less satisfactory Star Wars films after the first excellent three. However, having said that, providing that the current films aren't deleted, made unavailable and/or never shown again, it's his creation and pretty much up to him what he does with it.

Congratulations on becoming Opinion Emperor of the Universe!! With your new position, you get to decide who has good opinions and who has bad opinions! The choice is solely yours and extends to every aspect of one's life. If someone disagrees with you, you are able to label them as stupid, tasteless morons, which will undoubtedly make you feel better about yourself as you reaffirm your own misguided opinions by bringing down the opinions of anyone who disagrees with you. I hope that you have a long and glorious reign as Opinion Emperor of the Universe, just remember that it's all in your mind.