Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Okay, issues with Starfighter in this game from someone who just played it yesterday.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Okay, issues with Starfighter in this game from someone who just played it yesterday.

Eldrenath
12.27.2013 , 11:11 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
Gearing does make a difference. But skill represents better then 75% of success.
I couldn't agree more with this statement.

OP, I certainly understand your frustration, but I would respectfully point out that I don't think gear is the biggest reason you're having a hard time--experience is the larger factor. Gear DOES matter, but not nearly as much as being comfortable with the game. Knowing the ins and outs of a map, common tactics other players use (and how to counter those tactics), the strengths and weaknesses of your ship choice, all of these things and more are critical to having a good match. I speak from experience on this: I like flying a lot of different ships. I use 5 different ships: 2 strikes and 3 scouts each with different builds so I can play however I like for a match, depending on what mood I'm in.

This past weekend, I started using my 2nd Strike and 3rd scout for the first time, and each had very minor upgrades. I was not as effective in my less upgraded ships, but I still did pretty well. I'm a solid GSF player--not amazing, I don't get 50k+ damage like some of these other better players do--but I very often have solid matches with 20-30k damage, 5-10 kills, 7-12 assists, and lots of objective points and medals. When I flew newer, un-upgraded or barely upgraded ships I still did pretty well. Less damage and less kills, sure. But I still had good matches. And that's because I've done so many matches (at least 200 now) I've gotten better at knowing the maps, knowing my weaknesses and strengths, and knowing common tactics that players use and ways to combat those tactics, becoming comfortable with the controls, learning good movement to keep folks in the crosshairs and get missile locks, etc.

So, OP, I sure do understand where you could be frustrated, especially since its early access and matchmaking either isn't working or certainly isn't yet working as intended due to the relatively small pool of players. So you're probably playing with folks that have done tons and tons of matches. There's a lot of good advice here in this thread: try looking for teammates, trying to stick with them. Find someone and wingman them whether they know it or not so you're not alone out there. Experience will make you better. Best of luck, and I hope you stick with it!!

silvershadows
12.27.2013 , 11:13 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
So you want GSF Bolster?

No. Just ... NO.

L2P. That is all.

Don't be a jerk about it, dude. He just started playing it, it has a very very steep learning curve, and so of course he's frustrated, because he doesn't yet understand.

@ OP - Like I just said, GSF has a huge and steep learning curve, what you need is *practice*. Yes, you will get blown up but so does everyone when they first start out. After a few games, you'll find you're doing better. After 10-15, you might find yourself doing decent, and eventually, you may find you are one of those people flying around one shotting others (which, by the way, happens to people with fully upgraded ships).

Try out different ships too, but try to stick with each one for a whole game or two so you can really feel them out before you pick the one you like best. Each ship has a different playstyle that works for it. Also, the default loadouts kind of stink and you'll need to modify your ship for optimal stats/abilities. Veteran players can do decent in an unupgraded ship, but it's a pain in the butt when you don't have what you're used to/need/want.
Zuhia
Empress of Dread
<Tave Naefas Lazea>
A Sith endures.

-Shadowfist-
12.27.2013 , 11:14 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonev View Post
Never did I ask for a bolster, so I don't know how you pulled that out the air, oh wait a minute, your from PoT5, that answers that question.
lol.... what does Pot5 have to do with this?
There is no peace, there is anger
There is no fear, there is power
There is no death, there is immortality
There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.

Uber_the_Goober
12.27.2013 , 11:15 AM | #14
Not asking to make it work out the box either, but if YOUR whole team is practically getting one shotted by whatever super ship people have figured out, it is a potential problem (where you even here or remember concealment operative damage?).
I'm fully aware. They then proceeded to kill the spec. Only the best can get anything done with it anymore. It's a shell of it's former self. They took the cannon away from the glass cannon, but gave nothing in return.
On a note, I got some kills and damage, but this team yesterday was pretty much the SAME exact premade farming any and everyone coming in. Never did I ask for a bolster, so I don't know how you pulled that out the air, oh wait a minute, your from PoT5, that answers that question.
Does this look familiar?
Maybe the developers could actually put some dynamic in place for teams based on their ships layout. A difficulty level based on load out of the ship's items. I don't know, this is just something I thought I would throw out there in hopes that the developers would actually catch this before it becomes a bigger problem.
POT5 COMMANDO - CAPTAIN OBV'IOUS
SENTINEL - PICKLE'JAR

AMONG OTHERS...
See you in the warzones, muppets.

Eldrenath
12.27.2013 , 11:17 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by silvershadows View Post
Don't be a jerk about it, dude. He just started playing it, it has a very very steep learning curve, and so of course he's frustrated, because he doesn't yet understand.
100% agree. If you're coming into GSF for the first time and are regularly going up against people with 150+ matches and fully upgraded ships you're going to be frustrated. And GSF DOES have a big learning curve--and experiencing that learning curve while up against the aforementioned players would definitely be very frustrating. Let's not jump down people's throats because of their entirely valid frustrations.

LeonBraun
12.27.2013 , 11:18 AM | #16
Really the upgrades add very little to one's ship, they are only really small perks and won't make the difference between a skilled fighter and one that isn't any good. I can take out a fresh unmodded fighter on one of my unplayed GSF toons and get the same type of performance that I can from a fully modded ship.

It's all about practice. I've played a few hundred matches, and I knew right from the start I'd have a learning curve from those who played in beta (I did not) and I didn't try to go out an dominate from the get go.

You will have to learn things one at a time, learn flying, learn targeting, start first with objectives and then move on to taking on other ships. This is a completely new portion of the game and there is a learning curve; there is even a curve to get back in if you take a few days off.

Be patient, two matches isn't going to make you an ace. I've played a few hundred matches and I'm still learning as well. Have fun.
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

Eldrenath
12.27.2013 , 11:21 AM | #17

Does this look familiar?
What's wrong with what he quoted? He didn't ask for a bolster in that quote that you clearly misinterpreted. He said the system should analyze the ship's loadout, assign a "value" to that loadout based on upgrades, etc, then match a player against other people with similar loadout scores. So no one is being bolstered: rather highly upgraded folks are pitted against other such folks and so on and so forth.

L2Read before telling people to L2Play.

Hitomo_x
12.27.2013 , 11:23 AM | #18
yeah, its called matchmaking Einstein ...

only a select Group of People are able to Play GSF at the Moment, thats it

LeonBraun
12.27.2013 , 11:28 AM | #19
My recommendation would be to defend on green satellites, and to learn to take out stationary turrets first. You will get points, medals and commendations and will be learning in the process. The game after all (right now) is more about capping and holding the satellites, than getting kills on other ships.
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan

Danylia
12.27.2013 , 11:33 AM | #20
L2P is practice, practice, practice.
That's correct, yes. I was more comparing the (only at that time) other and actually polite/helpful response to your jerk one.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lendul View Post
Then why is it that I can get on one of my other characters and solo queue up and fly a non-upgraded ship and do just fine? Learning where and how to fly is more important than any upgrade you can get on a ship.
I don't know you, so I cannot judge; you may indeed be just that good. However, you also
1) Could play against new pilots with unupgraded ships
2) Could have experienced pilots/premade with upgrades on your side

This will be an unpopular statement: while I agree that skill > gear, and that the learning curve is rather steep and skill is required, I at the same time believe that some players are exaggerating their skill. They think skill is why they are winning, while in fact upgrades and especially teamwork is why they are winning.
There is certain Gunship-heavy premade on my server which is pretty much impossible to beat. However, every once in a while players from this premade solo queue and get in a PuG match; and in that case, they aren't better than the rest of participants. Not worse, sure, they have the necessary minimum of skill required - but not better.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Last nights group finder was a mess. The short version is that two of the people were really bad but the tank was pretty good. After we called it I asked the tank if he wanted to queue up with me. He said "I'm eleven and I have to go to bed".
The one guy who knew what he was doing was eleven years old.