Why Housing Needs a New Hook Type: Large Narrow

Grez

I purchased a Droid Engineer's Workbench and i really love the decorations, but there is one serious problem. I can't get the thing where I want it in my house. No matter how I turn the table or move it it doesn't look right.

If I move it back as far as I can it will not go against the wall, if I turn it 90 degrees so that it is perpendicular to the wall it looks better from the entrance, but it blocks everything behind it and effectively makes the room feel half the size. This is not the only decoration that I have this problem with. I have the same issue with Large decorations that are wide taking up all of the large hook, but lack depth such as the Engineers Droid Workbench, and the Power Generators from Esseles and Black Talon. I have thought up 3 possible solutions:

1) Create a new hook type, Large Narrow - This new hook type would be half of a large floor space. This would allow placement of these large floor items, but also allow people to push these things up against the wall without leaving a wide gap behind them or requiring the player to hide one corner of there room entirely.

2) Change the distance the object is moved when moving the object so that these objects can be moved all the way to the far edge of the hook. This change could also be used on Medium floor hooks and wall hooks, because some items can't be moved far enough to reach the edge of the hook, but some hooks such as small floor allow for items to be moved off the hook entirely.

3) Change the maximum number of units objects can be moved. To get the droid table moved against the wall would probably take a good 20 units. Not sure if this change would break any other housing hooks though.

I bought that one, as well, but am not using it. In general, it's just really difficult to justify placing any large decoration, when you could place, like, 8 decorations there instead. There should definitely be some additional layout options for large items, as well as a wider range of movement on the sliders (that's in general and not simply applying to large items).

Then again, my goal is to cram as much stuff as possible into as few rooms as possible in my stronghold, just because of the theme I'm using.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

Yeah, I don't understand why the workbench can't be placed on a medium hook. The datacron display can be placed on a medium hook even though it's way larger then the hook size and that thing has roughly the same size as the workbench.

The workbench just looks silly and out of place on a large hook...

Edited by Sindariel

There would be a better way if they didn't want to add more hooks, make the hooks adjustable and moveable in different areas in a room. Allow us, within reason of course, to be able to place a type of hook you would like where you would like it, such as a hook against the wall for a table or bed.

• 2 weeks later...
My $.02 I would love to see the hook system gone and just free placement, however I understand this could create problems with "stuck" items, etc. At the very least I would like to see the axes extended substantially. 1-10 just doesn't quite cut it. And, since we're dreaming here (we know nothing will ever come of any of these suggestions) I would love a "Z" axix as well.

We don't need new hook types, we need a larger range of offset.
Or more common sense when designing the objects. Take Droid Workbench for example. Where oh where anyone would ever put a thing like this? Next to some wall maybe or right in center of living room? I think the answer is obvious but apparently the developers insist otherwise and stick it right in the center of Large Hook the same goes for most of the large objects that have very clear front and back to put against a wall Edited by Pietrastor

It's limiting but not horrible. However, making nonsense desicions like this with big decos only makes it look way worse

Speaking of nonsense, the Fountain of Blood and Fire needs a large hook, despite being smaller than the Jedi Temple Fountain, which can fit on a medium as well as a large.

Sometimes I wonder about their decisions.