Latency Spikes - SF

LegionAlpha

Why are the latency spikes so high on this server right now. Didn't have issues till around 10pm. I've checked my end and its not me (obviously). I loaded up other games and let the latency go for 10mins on those, no spikes or changes at all really. I can browse the internet just fine (plugged in, not wireless). Just watching my latency on fleet shoot up and down. Please fix this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting the same issue. Thought I was going crazy. Jumping from 23 ms up to 1000+ and back again.

Edit: Talked to some people in my guild, apparently it's not lagging for everyone. Some people are completely fine ,and others are having the same issue.

Edited by Malecht

When this kind of thing happens in a game it's often an internet backbone problem, meaning that one network center somewhere is having problems and anyone whose computer happens to need to route through that center has problems until they get it fixed.

This has been happening to me all night long, I thought it was just doing FE and being on the gravestone instances was laggy. But hearing other people are having problems also, at least I don't feel like its my internet or computer. But I've been getting ms spikes for like the last week or so have been really bad. And most of the time I'm just doing the story somewhere in a low populated zones most of the time.

Everyone having an issue. Do this and report back which hops are having the spikes

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

On top of this. Some chat channels are not working. Party and Guild chat for instance.

There is a glitch (or 2) in the chat lately, perhaps involving their recent efforts to squelch credit sellers.

The ping to the SF server for you is probably just a routing issue, especially since not everyone is having the problem.

Your 'signal' takes different route to get to various places and it's common for one route to temporarily have problems until some hardware gets fixed or replaced. That's why your 'internet' can be fine for everything else (that you've tried) and be laggy to SWTOR.

Getting the same issue. Thought I was going crazy. Jumping from 23 ms up to 1000+ and back again.

Edit: Talked to some people in my guild, apparently it's not lagging for everyone. Some people are completely fine ,and others are having the same issue.

I was having that as well a few days ago, normally my MS is around 150 to maybe 300 (it is that high as I am playing on Star Forge from Brazil) but it was jumping over to 600+ MS and even 50K every 5 seconds. Decided not to play that evening and came back the next day and things were working normally on the game.

There is a glitch (or 2) in the chat lately, perhaps involving their recent efforts to squelch credit sellers.

The ping to the SF server for you is probably just a routing issue, especially since not everyone is having the problem.

Your 'signal' takes different route to get to various places and it's common for one route to temporarily have problems until some hardware gets fixed or replaced. That's why your 'internet' can be fine for everything else (that you've tried) and be laggy to SWTOR.

This is what I was thinking, and I even suggested it above, but I'm becoming more skeptical that that is correct because this is happening only during certain periods of the day - namely, primetime when the server is most active. It's not happening for me during the daytime, it kicks in in the evening, and then winds down right around the time the server population starts to go down.

This is what I was thinking, and I even suggested it above, but I'm becoming more skeptical that that is correct because this is happening only during certain periods of the day - namely, primetime when the server is most active. It's not happening for me during the daytime, it kicks in in the evening, and then winds down right around the time the server population starts to go down.

Keep in mind that 'primetime' is also when a flaky router or hub is getting the heaviest load. (Or, not necessarily flaky, but maybe just 'over loaded'.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Have even one of you tried to use ping plotter to see where the problem is?

I just did. I'm not 100% sure how to read which node is the problem. I can't tell if it's the Level3 node or the 159.153.92.98 node. If it IS the latter node, it's EA, so not a backbone problem: it would be a problem with the service itself.

https://imgur.com/a/ueOHdRp

Edited by Skolops

This. During the day, easy, no problems or lag spikes ever. At 9:30pm EST and later till about midnight EST, there is a constant bouncing back and forth. Also, I did not have this problem Tuesday, Sept. 7th as I was raiding with the guild, but now I'm concerned im going to have this issue tomorrow night and be more of a problem. As usual, this occurs after patches, and since i've been in the swtor community since beta and seen many things, this is one that persist throughout swtor's lifespan.

As far as a pingplotter goes and making excuses for this being "acceptable" or "my problem" with "my hardware", that's just not a fact, and a pingplotter does not provide a solution, only information that does not get used to get to the root of the problem. I am posting tonight on this same thread because this is clearly happening to more people who are actually looking at forums for a solution, so imagine now the amount of ppl not looking on forums and just log out and call it a night for the game. It's called the silent majority, and the silent majority has clearly always been right in swtor. I, as being part of that silent majority, am simply asking for some internal investigation into the lifelong problem this game has had since launch/beta, the unaccounted for lag spikes for no reason. The only signal issue, if there is one, is from the swtor servers to those who are experiencing this problem, such as myself.

I hate to always say this in a post or in voice chat, but I'm able to log into other games, WoW for instance, right now and I have 0 fluctuation in my latency/ping/ms/ w/e u wanna refer to it as. I can go join a dungeon, raid, pvp, or just sit in capital areas, and 0 fluctuation. I sit on guildship in swtor and the latency is just from 34-5k in 2 seconds and back, or even gets so bad as to red "x" and then kick me out. It's clearly an issue with the SWTOR service/servers/routes for signals, or w/e. But regardless, and I digress, the issue stems from the SWTOR base of operations and then is amplified as it leaves their place. An age old problem that we can only hope is solved one day.

Satele Shan - Latency issue.

(15) 159.153.92.98

(16) 159.153.92.86

(17) 159.153.65.228

Those three 'hops' are the ones that are failing all others are pinging at or under 45ms while those three are at or over 135ms... when I'm not moving any movement or attempt to interact with the game creates huge spikes into the thousands and often pushes the sustained latency into the range of 400ms to 600ms.

Perhaps this will help solve the issue.

Satele Shan - Latency issue.

(15) 159.153.92.98

(16) 159.153.92.86

(17) 159.153.65.228

Those three 'hops' are the ones that are failing all others are pinging at or under 45ms while those three are at or over 135ms... when I'm not moving any movement or attempt to interact with the game creates huge spikes into the thousands and often pushes the sustained latency into the range of 400ms to 600ms.

Perhaps this will help solve the issue.

Same as me. All three registered to EA.

Doing some searching, I am finding a lot of posts (over the past few years) reporting that EA support personnel are telling people that these hops are problems with people's ISPs or that their ISPs need to open up certain ports - in spite of the fact that the problematic nodes are registered to EA.

Update: and now it all looks good again, right around 10:45 - 10:50 EST, which is when it seems to start working each night.

Edited by Skolops

I just did. I'm not 100% sure how to read which node is the problem. I can't tell if it's the Level3 node or the 159.153.92.98 node. If it IS the latter node, it's EA, so not a backbone problem: it would be a problem with the service itself.

https://imgur.com/a/ueOHdRp

Ok, thanks for posting the pic. It’s certainly helps.

Im assuming you are in the US and typically have good speeds to the server. You’ll notice that you ISP routes you through level3 in Chicago and you get a modest ping increase, but nothing game breaking.

But then you get routed through some hidden level3 hops till you reach the servers. I believe this is where the problems are happening and you can ask you ISP to see where level3 is routing you because they can see those hidden hops that you can’t.

Because all I can do is theorise, I would say that you aren’t being routed directly to the severs. As an example, my ping recently jumped 80ms and ping plotter showed I was going through level3 in LA. But the hops were hidden. I spoke to my ISP to get them to not route me through lvl3 because they always have issues. They discovered that lvl3 was first routing me through Malaysia from Sydney to get to LA. Adding 4 hidden hops and 80ms to my route. But ping plotter didn’t show that. Only my ISP could see it and they fixed it by routing me away from lvl3.

It’s highly possible that lvl3 is routing you in the opposite direction first or even to another country.

First step is to contact your isp and ask them to check. If you have some way of sending the image file, that will help.

If they say it’s BioWare and not lvl3, then Private message musco or daniel and link the image. Give them any extra info your isp has.

Edited by TrixxieTriss