Empire vs Republic

Terko_Koslah

I just rolled a new Bounty hunter, my first imperial. But, I have to say the imperial side is much more attractive then rebuplic. The gear, the quests, also I think BH is the most fun class I've played so far.

I tried to play with all the rebuplic classes but they didn't do it for me. Some how it was lame.

I've played sentinel to 30+ level and compared to the bounty hunter, it's like day and night. BH has missiles, heat vent, blasters, flame thrower, jet back, cool heavy armor, he can be a rattataki or chiss...

And what does a sentinel have, he has 2 sabers(lots of similar strikes to gather focus), force leap and thats about it... Thats lame...

Re:

Maybe you should compare classes that are actually comparable, for example their mirror class...

Sentinel has Marauder as mirror class and they are quite the same.. comparing a BH to a Trooper is the same sort of stuff too. Logically 2 different classes have 2 different set of skills, gear and function.. go figure..

It has got nothing to do with being empire or republic. If you pref a darker experience, you like certain races better or you just prefer their lore.. Yes, then you can say empire is more your thing. Making a comparisson based on.... nothing... is not rly informative for new players and such...

Just saying ;)

Edited by Hueymoonbender

Outside playstyle (melee vs. "death from above," whatever, I find my new sith warrior very fun), I think there is a "qui-gonn" effect in the jedi storylines. I.E., the bland monk, as protagonist, is just boring--as a character it lacks motivation. Like the "Phantom Menace" review video where the Jedi's heads are replaced by Ambien.

Jedis are so hippy-ish they're not even quite allowed to be the terrifying "blind samurai" of Japanese mythology, or quiet gunslinger--who would become a cleansing force purging wickedness and evil, if pressed. It's the difference between "Gandhi" and "Rambo," and the middle ground between them isn't very coherent.

In "Star Wars" Jedi characters represented the "wise old man" archetype--or in the form of Luke, they were normal people who rose to greatness.

The dull monk Jedis of the prequels were always lacking as characters (and were virtually interchangeable,) and that's how the Jedi stories feel in this.

KOTOR 1 and 2 the main Jedi characters were (eventually) fleshed out to be conflicted and tortured, with long and jaded personal histories. Much preferable (Reven goes through a moral arc to become light side again, of course--here the jedis have no arc.)

The Sith are so incompetent in the Jedi Knight Storyline. Silly n00bs!Fight him/her like a man!

The Sith are just as incompetent in all of the Empire storylines too. Like seriously theyre all either completely insane or just psychopaths who mindlessly kill people. Its like none of them have read up on how to be evil masterminds, except Darth Barus.

If you want to compare the right mirror class, personally I think the trooper have far better armor look than the Bounty Hunter. The trooper armor actually looks like its from the Starwars universe, can't really say the same about Bounty Hunter. End game armor though, they are both just as bad, but I have high hopes that next tiers will have much better designs..

The Sith are just as incompetent in all of the Empire storylines too. Like seriously theyre all either completely insane or just psychopaths who mindlessly kill people. Its like none of them have read up on how to be evil masterminds, except Darth Barus.

Both sides seem equally incompetent. I have no idea how the Republic lasted for thousands of years before SWTOR and then another 3000 after. I can't understand how they managed to maintain a starfaring society and feed city-planets like Coruscant. I cannot credit that the Empire managed to maintain absolute secrecy in their 300 year plot to strike from a miniscule (relatively) population base at a staggeringly expansive, resource-rich Republic. Imperial NPCs just aren't that competent. Yes, the Jedi are rubbish, too, but two rubbish intelligence agencies doesn't mean one keeps all its secrets.

There are holes the size of the one where Alderaan used to be in the story: why does the Empire have a prisoner "black hole" on Nar Shaddaa, where they have less control over who comes and goes than they would on any Imperial planet? It's not like the ICLU even exists, so there's no need to get extraterritorial to avoid legalities.

The jedi classes are a bit dull yes.

Overall I prefer the Republic though, simply because the Sith annoy me so much.

I'd say the same, unfortunately the servers I've played Republic on thus far seem to devoid of any talent or teamwork.

At least Empire has the numbers which makes it easier to see less of them.

If there was a well coordinated/balanced server community of Republic players somewhere in a PST server cluster, I'd be very keen to know.

Want a less boring rep Jedi? Go dark side and be more evil than the sith you're killing. I did it purely cause I was sick of the pompous do-good voice acting. That and the fact that the dark side shop sells moddable heavy hands whereas the light side shop doesn't.

If you want to compare the right mirror class, personally I think the trooper have far better armor look than the Bounty Hunter. The trooper armor actually looks like its from the Starwars universe, can't really say the same about Bounty Hunter. End game armor though, they are both just as bad, but I have high hopes that next tiers will have much better designs..

Having played a BH and a trooper I thought the opposite, really like the look of my BH armour but so far havent been able to find trooper gear I like as much.

Overall though my views are mixed on the whole republic vs empire thing:

Jedi knight/consular vs Sith warrior/inquisitor - prefer the look and feel of the jedis (although have been playing as dark side)

Trooper vs BH - prefer the BH

Smuggler vs Agent - prefer the smuggler.

So overall I prefer the republic classes, the only trouble is the one empire class I do prefer, the BH, has ended up being my favourite of the lot. :)

Edited by Vinge

Outside playstyle (melee vs. "death from above," whatever, I find my new sith warrior very fun), I think there is a "qui-gonn" effect in the jedi storylines. I.E., the bland monk, as protagonist, is just boring--as a character it lacks motivation. Like the "Phantom Menace" review video where the Jedi's heads are replaced by Ambien.

Jedis are so hippy-ish they're not even quite allowed to be the terrifying "blind samurai" of Japanese mythology, or quiet gunslinger--who would become a cleansing force purging wickedness and evil, if pressed. It's the difference between "Gandhi" and "Rambo," and the middle ground between them isn't very coherent.

In "Star Wars" Jedi characters represented the "wise old man" archetype--or in the form of Luke, they were normal people who rose to greatness.

The dull monk Jedis of the prequels were always lacking as characters (and were virtually interchangeable,) and that's how the Jedi stories feel in this.

KOTOR 1 and 2 the main Jedi characters were (eventually) fleshed out to be conflicted and tortured, with long and jaded personal histories. Much preferable (Reven goes through a moral arc to become light side again, of course--here the jedis have no arc.)

luke skywalker is unique. he was being trained by obi wan and yoda as a weapon against the emperor and never taught the more philosophical bits. the wise old man part of being a jedi was introduced in the books first, lucas movies second but lucas did take it way too far - samuel jackson displayed zero emotion making him look like a terrible actor for example.