Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

new to operations

BloodSanction
04.13.2018 , 12:34 PM | #1
i just finished the original story line and am now moving on to the hutt cartel content but before i finish makeb i want to know about the correct equipment and mastery lvl needed to sucessfully complete operations. i know theres two or three ops that are suggested before moving on to shadow of revan and knights of the fallen empire. i really want to be equipped right so as to not make other players angry or annoyed with constant deaths. ive never run any ops before done plenty of flashpoints but operations are new to me and i want to do this right. any suggestions as to equipment or a mastery number that would be ideal for doing this? im currently playing as a sith marauder. keep in mind i dont have deep pockets when it comes to cartel coins so anything i would buy would probably be from either the market or equipment from flashpoints. thank you in advance im really excited about this and hope i can get some solid advice from expierenced and veteran players

CathyM
04.13.2018 , 01:42 PM | #2
#1 Know your class. Knowing your class well makes up for low level equipment
#2 Read a guide about the operation before you do it. And/or watch a vid
#3 Do Eternity Vault and Karraga's Palace first
#4 Say it is your first time in the op. Pay attention to the instructions you will be given
#5 Don't stand in stupid
#6 Follow the rest of the team. Run where they run. Don't wander off

As for equipment, you never need to buy from the cartel market. Once you reach level 70, get your set bonus armor as quickly as possible. This can drop from the command crates you start getting at level 70 if you are lucky, or you can buy it on fleet using the command tokens you get from each crate.

Buy some legacy gear (you may still have some if you didn't throw away the set you got when you created a character). Pull the armorings, mods and augments from the set bonus gear and stick them in the legacy gear (this makes upgrading easy and you can transfer legacy gear between characters)

Then, augment that legacy gear with 228 augments. You will need to buy these, or craft them yourself. They are not too expensive.

BloodSanction
04.13.2018 , 01:53 PM | #3
thanks for the detailed info it should help alot. i never buy packs from cartel market because the odds are just to slim of getting anything super useful unless you have deep pockets. i save my coins for asthetic items or something really nice usually i skim through the player market for some decent gear. its not too hard to save up creds for a really nice item. anyways cathy i really appreciate the advice and will definatly do those other ops first and check out vids to get a feel for what im doing

FlameYOL
04.14.2018 , 05:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BloodSanction View Post
thanks for the detailed info it should help alot. i never buy packs from cartel market because the odds are just to slim of getting anything super useful unless you have deep pockets. i save my coins for asthetic items or something really nice usually i skim through the player market for some decent gear. its not too hard to save up creds for a really nice item. anyways cathy i really appreciate the advice and will definatly do those other ops first and check out vids to get a feel for what im doing
I'd also suggest trying running "The Eternal Championship" once you reach Chapter IX of KOTFE, some mechanics are basic raid-wipe mechanics and I think it will help you get familiar with ops mechanics(Kill order, not standing in stupid, big DPS burns and the like).
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

AlrikFassbauer
04.15.2018 , 03:34 AM | #5
Flashpoints are a great training field for OPs.
Especially HM / Master Mode.
You will find a lot of their mechanics later in OPs.
Same for Uprisings.

One example is, to bring 2 opponents down at the same time (if possible),
or another example is to switch damage to another one opponent because one of both is shielded = immune to damage.
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

BloodSanction
04.15.2018 , 08:02 AM | #6
hey thanks guys im really taking all this to heart. i want to do good for myself and really appreciate the advice from everyone

happysister
04.16.2018 , 02:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
I'd also suggest trying running "The Eternal Championship" once you reach Chapter IX of KOTFE, some mechanics are basic raid-wipe mechanics and I think it will help you get familiar with ops mechanics(Kill order, not standing in stupid, big DPS burns and the like).
This. The Eternal Championship is like Ops Mechanics 101. Also, don't worry too much about gear for SM ops, as there is bolster like in FPs. Plus, ops will drop set bonus gear that can can roll on. You can buy a full set of 230 set bonus gear if you have enough GC tokens.

But as everyone else said, knowing you class, and following mechanics is far more important than gear when running ops. Gear cannot carry stupid.
<Fortitude>
Lorhin - Gunslinger | Sashel - Scoundrel
Shylar - Guardian | Meewa - Sage
RIP my old servers [The Corsair, Canderous Ordo, Jedi Covenant] .