Ready Check not usefull for tanks atm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are thousands of SW:ToR players of varying degrees of skill. Using the RC function isn't something that should be condemned, even in Flashpoints.

For many, this will be their first MMO, others may appreciate a RC.

On the other hand, there are thousands who won't appreciate being probed every few seconds in content they've beaten hundreds of times and can clear it without breaking stride. Constant checks will break that stride and cause unneccessary aggravation. Instead, those new tanks might want to announce their inexperience and have older, more experienced, players show them the ropes.

I've kicked a tank from BoI yesterday when I was playing sentinel. He did not respond to my "does everyone know what do to here" at the start of the flashpoint. Then he did not follow the three of us but rode his speeder thru all the mobs up to the first boss and aggroed something like 30 of them. Wiped us. To my repeated question, he did not say anything again. He wiped us again and only then did he say he hasn't done BoI before. Vote kick, summon Scourge, requeue, clear and get a second human tank by the time we hit the hangar after destroying the consoles. gg

And claiming to be a good tank because you haven't played a certain game is laughable. I've personally tanked since early EQ, and have done so on numerous MMOs. Never, have I see anyone get upset over a tank who uses ready checks and keeps a good pace.

Ready check and good pace in the same sentence? Only if there's a strong negation between them.

As for tanking, it is my firm belief that tanking in a game in which you're literally spoon-fed by a variety of add-ons and macros makes one a bad tank.

You're also giving me that "douche-tank" vibe. Maybe if you let your head deflate you'd be able to see that not everyone agrees with you, nor should they in this case.

My playstyle and thinking processes do not require people agree with me. They usually come to see things my way. Some sooner, some later; depending on their intelectual and cognitive abilities. In regards of your "douch-tank vibe" comment, let me clear it up for you: I'm not in the business of taking ****, especially on my free, pleasure, time. What you call "douche vibe" is actually a healthy attitude towards ***** being thrown at oneself. That said, you'd call me a "douche-healer" when I'm healing.

Stay frosty.

xoxo, slafko

Edited by slafko

the rc is good for pug ops.

For fps not realy needed for me,most trash packs i can pull without a healer anyway.

i do agree though that tank should have leader or LT, just incase you need to mark a target.

( boarding party last boss, sometimes i need to mark the healing mob, plenty of times that dps start nukeing the main boss with guard up and healer healin him , tunnelvision )

My playstyle and thinking processes do not require people agree with me. They usually come to see things my way. Some sooner, some later; depending on their intelectual and cognitive abilities.

While i do agree with you that a tank is quite an idiot if he ready checks before every mob and i would vote kick him sooner or later (that wouldn't happen though because i bother with flashpoints only on my tanks), this bit i quoted invalidates any point you make. I hope you realize this up here come off as incredibly self-centered, arrogant, void of any credibility... Sounds like it's coming out of a 60 year old fascist cab driver :/

everyone playing regularly will soon understand that the tank attacking first is a big advantage for the whole group. a ready check for a 20' instance with 3 others is useless and cocky imo.

i'd vote a dps keeping to leap in the mobs before the tank and then whining with the healer or the tank because he dies( when i tank i don't taunt his targets and when i heal i'll make him feel the fear to die in every fight, so he'll eventually slow down his dps)

While i do agree with you that a tank is quite an idiot if he ready checks before every mob and i would vote kick him sooner or later (that wouldn't happen though because i bother with flashpoints only on my tanks), this bit i quoted invalidates any point you make. I hope you realize this up here come off as incredibly self-centered, arrogant, void of any credibility... Sounds like it's coming out of a 60 year old fascist cab driver :/

Interpret it however you like, it's of no concern to me and I won't be losing any sleep over it. I know I'm speaking from experience and that's what really matters to me. Arrogant? In healthy doses. Doormat? Hell no.

Skadge has campaign Supercommando, what's your tank got? I'm pretty sure I can keep him up against Mentor just as well.

Varies between my different healers, but it's pretty irrelevant since it's easy enough to keep even a DPS alive if he ends up tanking. We've done plenty of guildruns where the "tank" position was taken by a DPS jugg/PT, including LI.

Although maybe I should test it and try spamming in the fleet chat:

Full dread guard geared Tank LFG random hm fp. Full ready check run. (ready check run means we are going to stop and do ready check before each and every trash pull)

I wonder how many responses I would get.

Dear Lord, it's started already. The first tank I see doing a ready check in a flashpoint will get a vote kick. Seriously. Just stick to your task and the group follow you regardless of who was awarded with the "leader" role. You're the tank, for Force's sake, you're the leader of the pack. Leader, not a babysitter.

Yay! The entitlement has started!

Tanks aren't group leader. They're the tank. This goes double for TOR as compared to more traditional MMOs like WoW because the only reason you need a tank is for bosses. With DPS as capable of off tanking as they are, and because of how enemy scaling works, all Tanks really are most of the time is a DPS that walks through a pull in reverse order.

Group leader is whoever wants to lead the group. If it's the healer, then you go when the healers tells you to. If it's a DPS, you go when the DPS tells you to. If you're the tank AND you happen to be the leader THEN (and only then) do you get to tell the rest of the group what to do.

Not before, and most definitely not by default.

Leading and tanking are two separate activities.

Yay! The entitlement has started!

Tanks aren't group leader. They're the tank. This goes double for TOR as compared to more traditional MMOs like WoW because the only reason you need a tank is for bosses. With DPS as capable of off tanking as they are, and because of how enemy scaling works, all Tanks really are most of the time is a DPS that walks through a pull in reverse order.

Group leader is whoever wants to lead the group. If it's the healer, then you go when the healers tells you to. If it's a DPS, you go when the DPS tells you to. If you're the tank AND you happen to be the leader THEN (and only then) do you get to tell the rest of the group what to do.

Not before, and most definitely not by default.

Leading and tanking are two separate activities.

lol funniest thing if seen on this forum, i will never listen to a dps when to go most of them are tunnelvisioned monkeys with no awareness of the fight there is no way he can decide when or how i pull.

Tanks should be the person with the most knowledge of the fights, he should know the surrounding, mechanics etc hes the 1 controlling the fight the most

Edited by NrDLeipe

lol funniest thing if seen on this forum, i will never listen to a dps when to go most of them are tunnelvisioned monkeys with no awareness of the fight there is no way he can decide when or how i pull.

Tanks should be the person with the most knowledge of the fights, he should know the surrounding, mechanics etc hes the 1 controlling the fight the most

It's extraordinarily difficult to keep track of what all the mobs in the pull do when you're hitting a single ability every second and a half! I'm glad 1/4 of every group is gifted enough to know how it all works by virtue of rolling a class that can queue as a tank and choosing to do so!

Seriously, being a tank doesn't make someone not be a "tunnel visioned monkey". Being a dps doesn't mean someone is too dumb to know how mechanics work. Get over yourself. If you're in a group with 3 random people and assume you're the best player because you have a little shield next to your picture, that's pretty sad.

Edited by namesaretough

It's extraordinarily difficult to keep track of what all the mobs in the pull do when you're hitting a single ability every second and a half! I'm glad 1/4 of every group is gifted enough to know how it all works by virtue of rolling a class that can queue as a tank and choosing to do so!

Seriously, being a tank doesn't make someone not be a "tunnel visioned monkey". Being a dps doesn't mean someone is too dumb to know how mechanics work. Get over yourself. If you're in a group with 3 random people and assume you're the best player because you have a little shield next to your picture, that's pretty sad.

I agree with you there can indeed be a tunnelvisioned tank, now i have done countless of flashpoints and ops and cleared all content so i know from myself what im capable of, the dps doesnt know when my abilities are of cd, and since a tank should be the 1st to pull he automaticly has controle of the fight, he decides what pace he tanks, how he pulls etc no dps can tell a decent tank how he should play, when to pull

A tank is the leader of the fight, he should have the lead of the fight, he needs to mark, call out cc' s etc

Edited by NrDLeipe

I guess I see the difference as when you're speeding through a Flashpoint you don't need someone checking every 15 seconds to see if you're good to go. Because the assumption is everyone is ready unless they state otherwise.

So I can understand the frustration of entering a Flashpoint for the hundredth time only to be stopped every couple minutes for a party member to ask "Are you still ready?". Its' not like in an OPS where there might otherwise be huge lapses between fights as explanations are doled out because players are unfamilar, in fact I would argue that at this point in the game Flashpoints are easy enough, gear is strong enough, and experience completing them is widespread enough that it is in fact a huge waste of time to RC flashpoints on a pull by pull basis.

I guess I see the difference as when you're speeding through a Flashpoint you don't need someone checking every 15 seconds to see if you're good to go. Because the assumption is everyone is ready unless they state otherwise.

So I can understand the frustration of entering a Flashpoint for the hundredth time only to be stopped every couple minutes for a party member to ask "Are you still ready?". Its' not like in an OPS where there might otherwise be huge lapses between fights as explanations are doled out because players are unfamilar, in fact I would argue that at this point in the game Flashpoints are easy enough, gear is strong enough, and experience completing them is widespread enough that it is in fact a huge waste of time to RC flashpoints on a pull by pull basis.

100 times this. Do not go to flash point if you know you will need prolonged AFK. If you do need to AFK, briefly for whatever reason, say so. There is no reason for ready check in flash point, other than MAYBE before a boss pull, if boss pull particularly tricky, required add control what not.

/rc is a tool for ops.

I wish people would use this before bosses in flashpoints. Just yesterday I did Hammer Station with 2 dps that were in that fp for the first time, but when I started explaining the last boss tactics to the dps, the tank just jumped at the boss and didn't even turn him fast enough so the group had to take almost whole sweeping aoe attack. Also, rc would be so much faster than just standing next to the boss for some time and wondering if everyone is ready (also happened several times yesterday).

But tbh, even if I was a group leader, I feel a little shy about using it in fp because many people seem to be so hostile about using it in there. Safer to type "ready?" and not get kicked lol.

Cool, exDontcellent idea vote kicking a tank :D

Enjoy the waiting time of 1h+ for a new one ;)

W

Dont be a deuchbag! Vote kicks are retarded. They take a lot of fun out the game. The only time you should vote kick someone I'd if they stew not responding or they are not focusing on the mission or working as a team. Ive been vote kicked for getting armor someone wanted one time. But most of the time cause I'm not that good at the game yet and trying to understand the best way to utilize my class. The healers need to do thier job, too. The tank isn't a one man army note does he have infinite health . I've been in games where the healer did not heal me once. If the tank you get is new, give him some pointers, don't kick him out. It makes the game really not fun to play. And I'm starting to avoid pve matches all together cause its just rediculous. Because I'm not getting what i came to do, what i pay 15 dollars a month to do! Have fun. Just play the game. Id really rather play with computer characters than some of the deuchbags i get paired with.

Hey BW, right now i can't use RC as tank when i'm not the leader of the pack^^

When i queue via GF and not get the lead, i always have to "beg" to get the leadership to perform a RC :(

You should alter it this way, that tanks can perform a RC always, even if they are not the groupleader.

W

PS. in a guild-run, i don't need a RC, because we're on vent - so no need for RC^^

and in a PUG, where a RC could come in handy, it won't work due to restrictions ;)

Yes I have noticed this too.

Tanks need to be able to readycheck!

I wish people would use this before bosses in flashpoints. Just yesterday I did Hammer Station with 2 dps that were in that fp for the first time, but when I started explaining the last boss tactics to the dps, the tank just jumped at the boss and didn't even turn him fast enough so the group had to take almost whole sweeping aoe attack. Also, rc would be so much faster than just standing next to the boss for some time and wondering if everyone is ready (also happened several times yesterday).

But tbh, even if I was a group leader, I feel a little shy about using it in fp because many people seem to be so hostile about using it in there. Safer to type "ready?" and not get kicked lol.

I know right? I didn't think it would be this serious. I think I would rather just "Hey, you don't have to do a ready check before every pack of mobs." But then I only do a couple FPs a day. I could see people who are doing more than that wanting things to go as quickly as possible.

Like you said, you had just started explaining the fight and you knew there where 2 new guys. That means the tank should have known people where not ready, and thus wait. Even if he could have done an RC, he wouldn't have, and a competent tank would have waited anyway.

The solution is L2P based, not mechanics based.

flashpoints are so short you dont RC just check your minimap and chat box, no one said wait? everyone is next you on the mini map?...PULL the next group

OH and i am a tank as well and thats i have always pulled the next mob...leave the RC in ops were it belongs

Edited by JMacneish

Please name a few of those nasty flashpoint exceptions and times when RC in needed in a flashpoint.

*facepalm* It is not needed (there were fp's completed before this tool was implemented :eek:) but it is better than having to write Everybody rdy? and wait for a + or sth

flashpoints are so short you dont RC just check your minimap and chat box, no one said wait? everyone is next you on the mini map?...PULL the next group

OH and i am a tank as well and thats i have always pulled the next mob...leave the RC in ops were it belongs

Full run in something like Taral V can take longer than fast run through some sm ops. And people already ask "ready?" in chat in fps, why not use ready check instead?