Why is there no collision detection in our characters and NPCs?

Machine-Elf

Not sure if that's the correct term, but, why is it we can walk through each other like ghosts?

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if SWTOR had been originally conceived from the ground up with collision-detection in mind. Think about it: Why else would almost every single one of its environments be so colossal in scope? Why is it that in the only areas of the game which are relatively small (comparatively) players are still not allowed to use their speeders? And why would the distance at which players can interact with in-game objects/NPCs be so disproportionately large?

It's called genius, folks! (only kidding... please don't flame :p)

Edited by Machine-Elf

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Collision detection, I think is what you want.

Age of Conan has it. It resulted in some interesting griefing as high level players would block narrow bridges on their mounts making it impossible for others to pass without fighting them.

While I like it ... I think in an MMO it is more trouble than it is immersion-breaking.

I'll admit that was pretty funny.

However it's also a perfect example of how willing some people are to just grief other players for the sake of their own entertainment. And I find that pathetic.

I agree. AoC is a good case example of why collision detection is a bad thing in an MMO.

But when I read the OP, I IMMEDIATELY remembered that event in AoC. I was just glad I could find the video.

Ahh Age of conan. hands down the WORST community I've ever seen in an MMO

You cannot expect anything less out of an MMO that has the option of walking around topless as a female in it. That is definitely going to draw a certain crowd.

Some will always find a way to grief other players so it really shouldn't be cause to not have collision; IMO collision detection should be in any game with pvp.

OK, in a PvP area, I can see your point. Sure.

But as someone else pointed out earlier: at the GTN or mailbox? Nope.

OK, in a PvP area, I can see your point. Sure.

But as someone else pointed out earlier: at the GTN or mailbox? Nope.

Can't they just devise a way for collision detection to exist in the GTN while at the same time bypassing any potential tomfoolery? I'm sure it can be done.

Personally I loved that Age of Conan video you linked. Annoying for the victims sure, but, lets face it, it was their own naivete that did them in.

By the way, thanks for correcting the thread title with what the appropriate term should be.

Edited by Machine-Elf

In any case, I can see no reason why NPCs would lack collision detection.

Except for times when they wander into a doorway and stop blocking a path leading to a quest area or wander into the path of something needed or blocking an objective.

Except for times when they wander into a doorway and stop blocking a path leading to a quest area or wander into the path of something needed or blocking an objective.

Oh. Those times. Which never happen.

No but seriously, if they do happen, simple fix: change the pathways.

Oh. Those times. Which never happen.

No but seriously, if they do happen, simple fix: change the pathways.

They do happen. Which is why most MMOs do not have collision detection with players or NPCs. There are also performance issues that come into play.

They do happen. Which is why most MMOs do not have collision detection with players or NPCs. There are also performance issues that come into play.

Whatever hurdles may be associated with collision detection, I think the trade off is worth it.

At first, this seemed like a troll thread.

It still could be.

The only players that would benefit from avatar collisions would be trolls.

Imagine: the biggest speeders/barges on fleet parked sideways blocking ... everywhere.

In the world, the biggest speeders/barges parked sideways blocking paths on Makeb

(so you will be forced to fight MORE, more mobs) and bridges on Alderaan (you didn't need those quests.)

All so Billy no mates can giggle at his keyboard.

At first, this seemed like a troll thread.

It still could be.

The only players that would benefit from avatar collisions would be trolls.

Imagine: the biggest speeders/barges on fleet parked sideways blocking ... everywhere.

In the world, the biggest speeders/barges parked sideways blocking paths on Makeb

(so you will be forced to fight MORE, more mobs) and bridges on Alderaan (you didn't need those quests.)

All so Billy no mates can giggle at his keyboard.

Troll thread. Right.

Look, just don't allow speeders on fleet, simple as that.

Or better yet, allow them on fleet but not on the GTN area.

Edited by Machine-Elf

So let's summarize. OP thinks lack of collision detection breaks his immersion.

Therefore:

• We need to remove speeders from fleet
  • Figure out a way for players to block people from passing through them, but also not block them from passing through them for places like GTN
  • Check pathing on every NPC to ensure that absolutely no NPCs ever block the path to anything
  • Accept the performance hits that collision detection creates
  • Accept that it will inevitably be used for griefing

And all of this gains us...immersion for Machine-Elf. I'm sure they'll get right on it.

Whatever hurdles may be associated with collision detection, I think the trade off is worth it.

It was fantastic in City of Heroes, when you could round up 30-40 mobs, they'd pin you in physically so you could barely move, and your kinetics buddy would ran through them with a force bubble on and send them flying with ragdoll physics.

So let's summarize. OP thinks lack of collision detection breaks his immersion.

Therefore:

• We need to remove speeders from fleet
  • Figure out a way for players to block people from passing through them, but also not block them from passing through them for places like GTN
  • Check pathing on every NPC to ensure that absolutely no NPCs ever block the path to anything
  • Accept the performance hits that collision detection creates
  • Accept that it will inevitably be used for griefing

And all of this gains us...immersion for Machine-Elf. I'm sure they'll get right on it.

Speeders not allowed on fleet: read post above yours.

Check pathing on every NPC: to not do so just strikes me as lazy.

Accept performance hits: are they really that substantial?

Griefing: rare occasions of frustration should be part and parcel with a massively online multiplayer environment