Dear Bioware, Thank you for the PVP changes.

-Bob-

Specifically the win/loss rewards system in unranked Warzones.

I think it's great that you have reverted the system back to what it was, Not rewarding people for a loss. This should have never been changed but at last you have made the game right again. People should not get rewarded for failing to accomplish their task. People need to learn the value of team work and that failure comes with the price of no reward, try again.

Thank you again Bioware!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's great that you have reverted the system back to what it was, Not rewarding people for a loss. This should have never been changed but at last you have made the game right again. People should not get rewarded for failing to accomplish their task. People need to learn the value of team work and that failure comes with the price of no reward, try again.

Thank you again Bioware!

Agreed! Participation trophies not needed! Rhetorically speaking, of course.

Thank you again Bioware!

Can you stop fanning the flames, troll?

This is a dumb, and frankly, lazy ***** attempt at riling up people.

Want to know what a real response from a established and well regarded member of the community to this issue is?

Read:

Hi Chris (and community team, can you please forward this and make sure Chris gets it)

The latest pvp changes with the lockout and and change to how missions are completed needs tweaking because it’s having unforeseen side affects (which I think are working against what you intended) and are negativity affecting pvp.

(And giving some nasty people the tools to troll other players)

Lockout Timer

The 15 mins time is a bit too long. I understand the reason for the timer, but it’s affecting the rest of the queue when it reverts to a low pop scenario like 4v4. Which means it’s probably affecting the normal time queue too, but less noticeably. I can’t be sure, but maybe more arena starts popping (I’m sure you can check your metrics for that).

When it reverts to a low pop scenario, 15min lock out means we are getting longer and long pop times, especially in lowbie pvp because that’s essentially taking players out of the queue for 3 matches or more (if they decide to wait it out).

It’s also causing lopsided teams being made. Ie, 3v4 matches are much more common and are nearly always a loss.

Which brings me to my next point.

Winning to complete missions

While I understand the change is supposed to make people try and win instead of death match, it’s actually having a negative affect on player moral because they are unable to complete their missions.

This is especially true in low pop situations when you have the follow situations :

• Match making puts all one class on one team
  • Match making allocation isn’t balanced
  • Full premade vs pug
  • Unbalanced team numbers, ie 3v4 matches.

These situations are not the fault of the players on the losing team. It’s the fault of the system and the players can’t do anything about it if they get one match after another where they lose because of these conditions. So they start feeling like there is no point in pvping because they can’t even complete their daily, weekly or conquest achievements.

(I literally played an hour of Low pop time arena’s last night with no wins because the system kept putting me on team with 3 people vs 4 man teams (which were mostly the same premade).

Both these changes has led some bad apples to use the situations to troll other players. Ie, said premade above was an all stealth team. They would kill two of us and then stealth out till the acid and wait to kill the last person. Then they would purposely lose the second round. In the third round they would do what they did in the first and kill two of us and stealth out again till the acid. Now I need to state we did start this with a 4 man pug originally, but after they did this in the first match, the fourth person quit in disgust and we had 3 players for the rest of the hour.

Under the old system, we would have left those matches to deprive those people the opportunity to troll us. But with the lock out timer in place, we had to stay or just stop queuing. Which is what some of us did because the pop times got longer and longer between each match.

What really grinds my gears is we don’t even get any reward towards completing our daily, weekly or conquests.

Under the old system you had setup so that a win = 2 points and a loss =1 point. If we still had this system, we would have been getting something for putting up with those bully trolls. But under the current system, we are penalised for leaving and we get nothing for staying. This system rewards the trolls and drives innocent players from the queue. Which slows down pops and makes people never want to pvp again.

Now I do understand the reason was to make winning count more than losing and it’s the right goal to strive for. But this “win” only reward system isn’t the way to do it,

Suggestions for tweaking the system

1. Change the lock out timer to 10mins during high volume queue times. This means the rest of the queue is less disrupted because people are not out of the queue for 15mins

2. Change the lock out timer to 5mins during low volume queue times (when it reverts to arena pops). There are already low numbers in the queue. The last thing we need is less people in the queue.

3. Revert the mission completion back to a points system. But change it so that a win = 3 points and a loss = 1 point. That means you still have to try harder to win matches or it’s an extended grind. But at least you get something for your effort.

4. Reduce the size of premades in regs to two person. This is a compromise and still lets people play with friends and means you don’t need to make a seperate queue for premades (which we know isn’t something don’t want to do). It will also make it easier for the “matchmaking” system to work. And if there are 4 players in the queue in premades, it will put 1 premade on each team.

5. Fix the system so it doesn’t make 3v4 matches. If the queue pops a 3v4 because someone declines, the match should not start. It should just put everyone back in the queue and make 3v3.

6. If a match starts with 2v2 or 3v3, then the back fills need to be locked once the match starts. There should be no back fills between rounds. There are many matches that start 3v3 and you win a round and then the second round the other team get a 4th person and it’s 3v4 and you lose the match because of it,

7. Fix the matchmaking in regs. I’m not sure what your system is for matchmaking, but it doesn’t work and hasn’t since it was implemented. If you can’t reliably make it work and openly tell us how it works, then remove the skill matchmaking and replace it with class matchmaking. Ie, keep it so that it limits how many healers and tanks are on each side. You could also tweak it more so that it evenly splits classes and class types across the teams or just remove it altogether and keep the healer/tank aspect in place.

8. We need map choice if you are going to have a lock out timer. I know you have said you are looking at this, but you should remove the lockout timers until you have that implemented. At the moment, you are just aggravating your player base because they get put into maps they don’t like.

9. The lockout timer needs to be able to tell if a player disconnects because of network problems or the server bugs out so that it doesn’t apply a deserter timer for no fault of their own. Other games that have deserter timers like World of Warcraft can tell the difference if you DC or leave on purpose.

10. Vote to kick should not apply a lockout timer. If you are going to keep vote to kick in the game, you need to stop it being exploited by people who use it to troll others.

Some suggestions on how to encourage playing to win and less death matching

1. Hide personal damage, kills, healing, tanking, deaths and damage taken stats from the rest of the team in objective pvp matches (8v8). These personal stats should still be visible to you, but only your own. Change them so only the player can see their own stats and not other people’s.

This would take away a reason to death match because people wouldn’t be able to epeen stats on the scoreboard

2. Keep the objective points and medals visible on the scoreboard at the end for objective pvp so that players can see what contribution their team mates make. These are what should matter the most in objective pvp and would encourage better team work.

3. Revamp the medal and objective points system so that each map type has its own unique ones to encourage better game play. You could keep a bunch of generic ones across the board and cull some others. Then add specific types of ones for each map type (I recognise this might take a bit of work, so I understand if it’s not possible. But if you can, it adds another possibility to rewards).

3a. A revamped medal system could add a system of extra rewards based on how many medals you receive. So even someone on the losing team who played well, might get more rewards than someone on the winning team who didn’t try.

4. Add better rewards for winning matches. The current ones still aren’t enough. Maybe add some extra things like reputation tokens, companion gifts and more tech frags (even for Lowbies).

Suggestion for giving people choice when queuing

Other like World of Warcraft that give people choice have a mechanism to keep queues popping on the least popular maps. These same sort of mechanisms could be used here too.

Have two queues.

• One queue allows players to choose what maps they want to play (maybe they can deselect 3-4 they don’t want to play)
  • The second queue is totally random (like we have now)
  • Both are still linked and matches are made from taking players from both queues
  • Add extra daily and weekly missions and unique rewards to queue up random. Make this the more enticing way to queue
  • Arena should not be part of the choice selection during low queue times it should revert both queues to arena like it already does.

This gives players a choice of how they want to play without it negatively affecting queue times or locking out people from playing less popular maps,

Thank you for reading.

I don't think reverting things back to getting points for loosing is ok! This game is an mmorpg which means you must grind for something you want. Yes everybody wants do quests but smh noone wants to put in effort. i see so many Jugg/Sorc/Merc players that just go for zerg instead of playing objective. I think it's a good change that you get only points for actually winning since maybe the players think of actually play the game.

Premades

For the premade stuff: why would a premade be better then a random avarage group??? Everybody crys about premades ffs. For me most premades are literally only avarage players like everybody else. Even a t-h-2dps group won't automatically win games. In fact those groups tend to zerg around 80% of the time not winning ****.

Lockout timer

I don't know why people seriously rebel against this. Everybody wanted it. Why should someone who leaves a wz and probably destroys the queue for 7 other players not get punished (or just by 5min lockout)? I understand that it might bring in some unranked arenas but cmon who ever had a problem with arenas? they are like best thing that can happen. Especially if you cry about premades you should like arenas as 1 player can have a huge impact there.

Edited by NewMhyst

Yeah, no. Do not agree.

I wouldn’t care as much if the rewards were better. You get 10 tech frags for a loss and a standard loot box. No progress on the daily or weekly, so you just spent around 15 minutes and have very little to show for it.

Now compare that with the rewards from other activities. You can solo a SM flashpoint in under 10 minutes with a stealth class and get over 200 tech frags, every single time you run it. There is no winning or losing, it’s automatic. There have been numerous times when I log in, want to run warzones, but end up farming flashpoints instead because the rewards are so much better and guaranteed. Even with a WZ win and the daily, you’re still 2-3x better off running that flashpoint.

I think this all goes back to the removal of pvp gear, personally. I think it’s pretty lame that by far the fastest way to gear for pvp is to....not pvp.

So anyway, I’d be fine with keeping the daily and weekly set to only reward winning if the daily and weekly rewards were at least 2-3x better.

I don't think reverting things back to getting points for loosing is ok! This game is an mmorpg which means you must grind for something you want. Yes everybody wants do quests but smh noone wants to put in effort. i see so many Jugg/Sorc/Merc players that just go for zerg instead of playing objective. I think it's a good change that you get only points for actually winning since maybe the players think of actually play the game.

Premades

For the premade stuff: why would a premade be better then a random avarage group??? Everybody crys about premades ffs. For me most premades are literally only avarage players like everybody else. Even a t-h-2dps group won't automatically win games. In fact those groups tend to zerg around 80% of the time not winning ****.

Lockout timer

I don't know why people seriously rebel against this. Everybody wanted it. Why should someone who leaves a wz and probably destroys the queue for 7 other players not get punished (or just by 5min lockout)? I understand that it might bring in some unranked arenas but cmon who ever had a problem with arenas? they are like best thing that can happen. Especially if you cry about premades you should like arenas as 1 player can have a huge impact there.

ofc a brainlet like you wouldn't know why premades are problematic, they are way way more coordinated often on comms. they focus any random player, kill them instantly. they also can control the flow of the game, intentionally making it longer just to farm randoms or finishing the match in mere minuets. they also have better team compositions often running tank/healer comps, some even run pocket healer comps.

devs in other games know this are not blind like BioWare, so they put rather strict limitations in place for premades

Thank you again Bioware!

You don't seem to have a mean bone in your body. You give your opinions but don't lash out when people disagree with you. I respect that.

On this opinion, we differ. In another post, where I was not cogent due to lack of sleep, I made an analogy to sports. The simple version was that even poorly performing athletes get paid for their efforts. I don't even mind (somewhat) the current paradigm of daily/weekly PvP quests. It incentivizes me to play more and play harder...to a degree. But I see another trend emerging that I do not like. More and more people are joining groups and numbers farming, it feels like. It makes winning suck (when you're on the team being farmed) and losing suck even more. The matches just don't feel competitive, they almost always feel completely lopsided...and matchmaking feels worse than ever. Of course, not having buttball as every second or third map is a plus. So...there's that.

This may be independent of the new system, but all I know is that what I described above makes PvP feel objectively worse now than before. The population opting to play is in decline as evidenced by the prevalence of arenas in the map rotation, and, whether I am terrible, mediocre, or decent player, it takes me approximately 8 games per night to get my daily done...and then, there is the deserter debuff and its problems. This may be what the die-hard PvP players want, but a healthy PvP climate attempts to strike a balance. I don't think we have that presently.

Trixxie has great suggestions, imo, which I hope that Bioware considers. I am not shilling for her...but the suggestions are too numerous and involved to list here. Easier to link her post.

Well, there's my piece and I hope that, even though you and others will almost certainly disagree, you can respect my opinion on it.

Cheers. :)

Premades

Lockout timer

I absolutely hate 4v4 and think they should be for ranked only, not unranked regs. I very rarely stayed for any 4v4 because I just dont care for them at all, but now... I am forced to sit out 15 minutes if I dont want to play the 4v4 maps, or play on a map I just absoulutly do not want to or like to avoid the lock out timer. I can fully support being able to filter maps you dont want to play with this penalty in place. The timer itself doesnt bother me, the inability to filter out maps I dont want to play on with this penalty in place is what irritates me.

I absolutely hate 4v4 and think they should be for ranked only, not unranked regs. I very rarely stayed for any 4v4 because I just dont care for them at all, but now... I am forced to sit out 15 minutes if I dont want to play the 4v4 maps, or play on a map I just absoulutly do not want to or like to avoid the lock out timer. I can fully support being able to filter maps you dont want to play with this penalty in place. The timer itself doesnt bother me, the inability to filter out maps I dont want to play on with this penalty in place is what irritates me.

You may not realise, but 4v4 maps only pop now when there are not enough people in the queue to support 8v8 maps.

So if you are getting lots of 4v4, you could leave and reque because you’d be waiting a while for 8v8 anyway.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You may not realise, but 4v4 maps only pop now when there are not enough people in the queue to support 8v8 maps.

So if you are getting lots of 4v4, you could leave and reque because you’d be waiting a while for 8v8 anyway.

you're not allowed to reque until the 15 minute penalty is up, thats how it works, otherwise, it wouldn't work.

you're not allowed to reque until the 15 minute penalty is up, thats how it works, otherwise, it wouldn't work.

I do understand that. I’m just pointing out that if someone is only popping 4v4, then the 15 min lock out has little affect on them leaving if they only want to play 8v8 because 8’s wouldn’t be popping anyway.

Another way to look at is even if we didn’t have the lockout, the people who keep leaving 4v4 because they don’t like them will still be waiting for an 8v8 map. All the lock out does is make less people queue and stay if they keep popping maps they don’t like.

And the unforeseen result will be lower queue numbers, which will result in more 4v4 pops and a shorter prime time that pops 8v8.

Now I’m not suggesting there isn’t a problem when people leave matches. It is a problem, but IMO, BioWare have done this backwards and also made the lockout to long.

They should have waited till they had map choice options in place and the length of the lockout needs to be less and also have a mechanism in place to halve the timer when the queue drops to 4v4.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I stopped PvPing for now because of that. The inability to filter maps not added in with the penalty is why. I will not do 4v4 and I dont do ranked.

I completely agree with the OP. I'm honestly disgusted by the horrible snowflake attitude that seems to be reigning here.

Get a group, get a guild. Invest some *********** time into actually becoming decent at PvP instead of just asking to be rewarded for being bad.

Level up. Theres plenty of people out there that will gladly help you all. But as long as you keep desperately clinging on to this piss poor attitude of selfpity everyone that actually plays pvp because they like it, rather than any rewards, will always look down on you with disgust.

I completely agree with the OP. I'm honestly disgusted by the horrible snowflake attitude that seems to be reigning here.

Get a group, get a guild. Invest some *********** time into actually becoming decent at PvP instead of just asking to be rewarded for being bad.

Level up. Theres plenty of people out there that will gladly help you all. But as long as you keep desperately clinging on to this piss poor attitude of selfpity everyone that actually plays pvp because they like it, rather than any rewards, will always look down on you with disgust.

And its not like people don't want to group either. I generally prefer to solo because I can just play at my own pace and I tend to toon hop a lot, but I get at least 1 random invite every day. If you play well enough people recognize it and want to group up. There's nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, no. Do not agree.

I wouldn’t care as much if the rewards were better. You get 10 tech frags for a loss and a standard loot box. No progress on the daily or weekly, so you just spent around 15 minutes and have very little to show for it.

Now compare that with the rewards from other activities. You can solo a SM flashpoint in under 10 minutes with a stealth class and get over 200 tech frags, every single time you run it. There is no winning or losing, it’s automatic. There have been numerous times when I log in, want to run warzones, but end up farming flashpoints instead because the rewards are so much better and guaranteed. Even with a WZ win and the daily, you’re still 2-3x better off running that flashpoint.

I think this all goes back to the removal of pvp gear, personally. I think it’s pretty lame that by far the fastest way to gear for pvp is to....not pvp.

So anyway, I’d be fine with keeping the daily and weekly set to only reward winning if the daily and weekly rewards were at least 2-3x better.

I agree that the rewards could be better, much better, but that's a separate issue.

Yeah, no. Do not agree.

Ya the rewards are definitely trash tier and need to be updated. I do the same thing and solo MM RR on my sin and MM HS on my mara/guardian (and I can do it almost as fast as a group, and its worth the time too if the queues are taking forever for dps.)

Interesting reading the comments here - we have 2 sides;

i) players that like the system that has no rewards for losing (and thus discourages bad play)

ii) players that like a system where they make progress towards a goal even if they lose a match

Personally, I still like to pvp, but the new system feels harsher - it feels harsher to lose because it feels like totally wasted time. And we are already (psychologically) averse to losing; look up 'loss aversion' - we hate losing MORE than we like to win. It's been my experience recently that primetime players who decide they're on a losing team start abandoning the match LIKE CRAZY - I've been playing since early access, and I've never seen matches abandoned so quickly and by such a large proportion of players before.

Pulling a win out of a hard-fought losing match is definitely my favourite thing in pvp, and I think discouraging players from investing time into a match they MIGHT lose - is a bad thing.

Dude, calm down. It's a game. Maybe you need to take some time off again.

i) players that like the system that has no rewards for losing (and thus discourages bad play)

ii) players that like a system where they make progress towards a goal even if they lose a match

Personally, I still like to pvp, but the new system feels harsher - it feels harsher to lose because it feels like totally wasted time. And we are already (psychologically) averse to losing; look up 'loss aversion' - we hate losing MORE than we like to win. It's been my experience recently that primetime players who decide they're on a losing team start abandoning the match LIKE CRAZY - I've been playing since early access, and I've never seen matches abandoned so quickly and by such a large proportion of players before.

Pulling a win out of a hard-fought losing match is definitely my favourite thing in pvp, and I think discouraging players from investing time into a match they MIGHT lose - is a bad thing.

This is why BioWare put the 15min lockout timer in place to discourage people leaving. But “if” they are still leaving in large numbers (which I don’t know), then the lockout isn’t having the desired deterrent and is in fact removing people from the queue. That can lead to less player variety, more toxicity, possibly slower pops or more 4v4 than before. It will also drive some of those people to stop queueing or playing pvp in the future.

This is why I think BioWare have approached this backwards. I get what the goal is, but the path to get there isn’t one conducive to player retention.

Excellent post. I agree with your commentary, and especially the underlined portion.

However, I also feel that if the rewards were a TON better, the current system would be okay...not ideal, but okay. It would also be better if matchmaking were a lightyear better, and if class balance were better.

Win or loose, both the winner and loser are investing time. Take the Superbowl for instance. There has to be a winner and looser. The winners get the trophy, the adoration of fans, and all the pay bonuses associated with winning. The losers hang their heads in shame, get no trophy, no adoration, but they still get a pay check. I would imagine there would be quite a uproar if the team owners did not pay them.

I dont mind the queue penalty (if they implement the ability to filter maps you dont want to play in), I don't even mind increased rewards for the winners for a job well done, but they should leave the losses lost as counting as 1. The farming teams, you know the ones.. that hold the huttball just for farming numbers etc... will make the effort spent in a war zone match that much more frustrating if there is 0 compensation for time spent.

Get a group, find a guild blah blah blah blah. Everybody runs into times when guild activity is slow, or nobody on their friends list is online or doing other things so queing solo is always an option. I dont really have any hard data but I would say 6 or 7 times out of 10 games I solo is a loss, maybe more. I win a lot more on a decent team, I wont deny that, but if I play 10 games solo, loose 80-90% of them with absolutely 0 consolation at the end of the match, I loose my incentive to even queue. Its no different than OPS in PvE where it may take you weeks or even months to get a certain set piece to drop running ops week after week. When the die is rolled for that piece of gear, there is a winner and looser, the looser gets consolation loot and has to return again for another chance. The same should be for PvP.

I dont think the implementation of the changes were implemented very well, almost like they did it to shut up the people complaining the loudest instead of thinking through the consequences of making a major change like this.

Want harsh penalties for loosing, do ranked. That is where wins/losses should matter to that degree.

Win or loose, both the winner and loser are investing time. Take the Superbowl for instance. There has to be a winner and looser. The winners get the trophy, the adoration of fans, and all the pay bonuses associated with winning. The losers hang their heads in shame, get no trophy, no adoration, but they still get a pay check. I would imagine there would be quite a uproar if the team owners did not pay them.

I dont mind the queue penalty (if they implement the ability to filter maps you dont want to play in), I don't even mind increased rewards for the winners for a job well done, but they should leave the losses lost as counting as 1. The farming teams, you know the ones.. that hold the huttball just for farming numbers etc... will make the effort spent in a war zone match that much more frustrating if there is 0 compensation for time spent.

Get a group, find a guild blah blah blah blah. Everybody runs into times when guild activity is slow, or nobody on their friends list is online or doing other things so queing solo is always an option. I dont really have any hard data but I would say 6 or 7 times out of 10 games I solo is a loss, maybe more. I win a lot more on a decent team, I wont deny that, but if I play 10 games solo, loose 80-90% of them with absolutely 0 consolation at the end of the match, I loose my incentive to even queue. Its no different than OPS in PvE where it may take you weeks or even months to get a certain set piece to drop running ops week after week. When the die is rolled for that piece of gear, there is a winner and looser, the looser gets consolation loot and has to return again for another chance. The same should be for PvP.

I dont think the implementation of the changes were implemented very well, almost like they did it to shut up the people complaining the loudest instead of thinking through the consequences of making a major change like this.

Want harsh penalties for loosing, do ranked. That is where wins/losses should matter to that degree.

Personally, I wouldn't compare PVP rewards system to something as overblown and overpaid as the NFL or any other sports franchise for that matter. I get your point and what you are trying to say but i feel the 2 are very far apart and not worthy of comparison.

Personally, I wouldn't compare PVP rewards system to something as overblown and overpaid as the NFL or any other sports franchise for that matter. I get your point and what you are trying to say but i feel the 2 are very far apart and not worthy of comparison.

Its nice that you didnt miss the point. I dont really care one way or another if you agree with how the point was made or not. :)