Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

built in VOIP please.

Verain
02.24.2014 , 12:41 AM | #21
EVERYONE would opt out.

Zharik
02.24.2014 , 12:49 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
EVERYONE would opt out.
I wouldn't... and I value myself as a "part" of everyone.

The OP wouldn't... that makes 2.

But continue on your crusade to deny something that other people might want... even though it hurts you zero.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)

dancezwithnubz
02.24.2014 , 05:16 AM | #23
It's just a stupid thing to have, it's that simple. It's like, everyone already HAS this, ok? It's a thing. On the internet. For PC and MAC! Everyone who wants this has it. Everyone who doesn't, does not.
you're missing the point and frankly, i don't feel you're thinking rationally.

*******s who swear & curse are going to get mass ignored. they'll start finding it hard to get into matches. so, they'll have to get an Alt and start being a decent person.

sure, we can all GET voip comms, building it into GSF just marries what we've all got with the GROUPFINDER system.

FridgeLM
02.24.2014 , 11:54 AM | #24
He's saying everyone will opt out because that's what everyone does on the game that is the closest analogue to this one. It was a complete flop and a huge expense for no benefit - it's no wonder they aren't chomping at the bit to implement it.

I can only hope that nobody at Bioware gives in to your whining that they make the same mistake Blizzard did almost seven years ago.
<Death and Taxes>

SwiftDuck
02.24.2014 , 01:08 PM | #25
I always post in these threads to say:

No. Awful idea.

But first, a word about your "doesn't have a life" thing- the amount of time to download and patch and log in to SWTOR far, far exceeds all the time to get Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, and Teamspeak combined. The ability to type in about 40 characters worth of login info is also trivial. If you are losing to premades, it's not because you magically have a life. Heck, if you can't even be arsed to speak to someone in a chat program, you're more likely to be the one without one.

Now, on to telling you why this idea sucks.

1- Existing COTS Solution = Reinventing the wheel.
There's several free solutions, and some are even free software. EVERYONE already uses these. This is a PC game, so it doesn't require special hardware or some odd condition or setup. If you find a group to run with, they are already using voice much of the time. So, what does this buy the community? NOTHING. But what does it cost Bioware? A LOT! First, Bioware has to start coding from scratch, meaning they have to task several people with this feature. Second, this feature, once added, will have to keep kicking around, so it will have to be updated with future features. Third, Bioware has to monitor or check this data path through their system, so it adds a whole other dimension to their live support / customer server, so that ENTIRE BACKEND needs to be programmed, and voice is not a cheap data stack to keep around. Fourth, they have to ensure that the features offered and quality offered are competitive with the existing set of free solutions which already work in the general case. This is awful. This reason alone is why this idea is bad and will never ever happen.

2- If you can't be bothered to download a couple megs today, the odds of you being worth talking with are really low.
If you step from "casual" to "hardcore" by downloaded any of the many free options to do team speak, and that strikes you as insane, the odds of you having anything resembling communications are low.

3- The voice channel is only as useful as its least racist member.
It took me all of half an hour to realize that open party chat on the Xbox is ludicrous. Of course, I still play with my friends. I'm sure you CAN find a good group, but at some point, you will run into a bunch of total asses, and then what? When some kid comes in there and spams the voice channel full of awful, not only does customer service have to be spun up on it, but no one will stay in the voice channel at all.

4- The voice channel is only as useful as its least skilled member.
More subtle, if you put a bunch of random people in the channel, one of them being abusive or moronic is enough to keep the good players silent, or they will just leave- but even if everyone has their head in the game, wants to win, and isn't trying to burn the house down, a bad player giving bad advice ("fly in formation! everyone follow me to B!") will be very disruptive compared to other chat forms.

5- Voice chat failed in WoW
Maybe you don't play WoW, but it's a safe bet that way over half of SWTOR players have. I mean, the game is mostly based on it in every way imaginable. GSF is actually most notable for being entirely independent of any WoW offerings, in fact. In any event, voice chat was added to WoW back in like Burning Crusade (2006 or something). Literally no one uses it.

Here it was broken for like several months:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593622934

Note the single pageness of that topic. Note how they IMMEDIATELY tell them to use a third party app, because that is how this problem is solved.

No one wants reinvented the wheel voice chat. No one will use it. It's a bad idea. If it matters to you, buy a public vent. Or use any of the existing public vents, such as oqueue, pick a channel, and spam the info before the match. Or do anything at all except ask Bioware for an expensive bloated feature that will be opted out of by every skilled player the moment some prepubescent voice joins channel and starts calling everyone chuweros.

( Chuwero is from http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/10 , which has some curse words if you are seeking to avoid that).
Here is a solution to all of your proposed problems. 1 word.

MUTE.

Thanks.

DEATHICIDE
02.24.2014 , 01:27 PM | #26
Puggies are food. What would they communicate faster, their utter confusion about component choices, their poor selection of copilots, their tunneldps instead of objectives, and maybe strats to chase gunships into cap ships turrets more effectively?

"Ok, go in a straight line. All of us at once. Ok the cap ship turrets should finish us all... NOW. Ok everyone, quick tab out and make a GSF forum thread about how this was his fault!"

Yes, I'm sure that's it, and not years of experience with this kind of crap.

If it's such a big deal to you, why not just go to any of the dozens of regulated and free ventrilo servers, hop in a channel, and then spam info every time you zone in? Why not? Costs you nothing, right? Why doesn't ANYONE do this, ever?

What makes you think they'd talk with VOIP? Or listen? The last game I was in, some super awesome king of poop spammed ops chat with dumb questions, while doing 0 damage the entire match, and namecalled people. How lovely it would be if he was in VOIP!

If this game was gonna gave voice, it would have been put in for the story modes, or the warzones, or all the things that are just like the wow things that no one cares about there. It would be a huge expense, and for no gain at all.
Problem with your "just use vent argument" is that people have to predetermine to meet in vent, and can't do it on the fly, which is the very reason swtor-voip would be nice to have.

Yes, if this is a feature that you can turn on and off globally, and has its own little pop up toggle, then I would hope it would let me have voip with flashpoints, ops, and warzones.
If it has its own box, much like the operations frame with a toggle key, you wouldn't have to mess with anything else other than giving it proper filter settings for where you are, and who you are currently grouped with.

If this was good for nothing else, it could allow half-mades to properly run the show.
-Power outage in Portland where 1/2 of tonight's op just happens to live?
Now there is half a pug you all have to nab ASAP to keep this going.
Ops leader can just speak instructions on the fly to all players with speakers, and get the ball rolling the second the op has been filled vs having to go through the "must have XYZ program, then join room 6654859445 vocxx.com/org.net, pass = broni-jedi" routine.

If I was in a gsf pug with built in voip and I had noticed a few other aces in the team, I could toggle my mic on and call out to one because I noticed that 4 opponents were all darting at them from across the map, for example.

I could also use it to let "gangslanga14" know that the rest of us would like them to stop trying to dogfight the capital ship.

Noobs are food, and mostly go in pugs, I'll give you that.
Maybe the noobs will become supernoobs though?
They may start calling out inc because they can just toggle a button vs "shift+z + enter + A inc + enter + shift+z", you never know.

I don't see why people who already plan to not use ingame voip care if it gets put in or not?
Why are you so sure the devs can't pump out a nice interface that other players actually do like?
Because WoW sucks?

I'll bet the good people at teamspeak for one example, could do an integration for a bowl of soup and a hot shower as far as big money is concerned, in the event that a chat engine is too much for EA to handle

You said "What makes you think they'd talk with VOIP? Or listen? The last game I was in, some super awesome king of poop spammed ops chat with dumb questions, while doing 0 damage the entire match, and namecalled people. How lovely it would be if he was in VOIP!"

That is why I want people on my ignore list to be auto-muted in the event that I join a group they are in, and also have selective mute toggles beside player names on the interface, so that I can mute/ignore anyone who deserves it, painlessly.

That is an example of what I meant when I said "as long as it's not xbox style"

Without just "poo-pooing" the idea, is there something hurting your experience as a result of it's existence?
Republic Diehard-Imperial Diehard-Founder Of The Old Republic

The Most Valuable - Devastator - Fleet Admiral - Space Magnate

FridgeLM
02.24.2014 , 01:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DEATHICIDE View Post
Without just "poo-pooing" the idea, is there something hurting your experience as a result of it's existence?
Its existence would cost resources that I would rather go to virtually any other project. Even the cartel market.
<Death and Taxes>

SwiftDuck
02.24.2014 , 03:15 PM | #28
Its not like a in-game VOIP is a tough thing to achieve.

DC Universe Online uses it and it's amazing.

And guess what? you can toggle it on and off.

FridgeLM
02.24.2014 , 03:54 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SwiftDuck View Post
Its not like a in-game VOIP is a tough thing to achieve.
Tell that to Blizzard circa 2007.
<Death and Taxes>

Zharik
02.24.2014 , 03:59 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by FridgeLM View Post
Tell that to Blizzard circa 2007.
Using 7 year old programming errors to justify you not wanting something (that has worked WELL in OTHER games) is like saying the Cowboys will win the Superbowl this year because of what they did in the 90s.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)