Good ol' swg

bountywookies

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious you didn't play SWG ever in your short life.

I would say the same goes for all of you. Considering SWG felt more sim than

game. You actually felt like you lived in a real place, with real people making

real stories for yourselves. Not racing to some end game to make yourselves

feel all uber leet. Log into WoW and see all those mightier than thou's crowding

Stormwind cos well... gee... you have nothing else to do while cued.

SWG... you find people hanging around (not crowding) Bestine or Anchorhead

or Corellia just to be with friends.

SWG gave you a universe to live in and interact with. And to be your own story

unscripted. Or scripted if you wanted to RP that way. It was all up to you.

So please stop knocking it with silly half witted comments and leave the players

who actually enjoyed being there alone. Who knows, you might actually

learn something outside you one tracked X-Box thinking lol

~ Izzy :)

Edited by xXIzazelXx

feel all uber leet. Log into WoW and see all those mightier than thou's crowding

So please stop knocking it with silly half witted comments and leave the players

Totally agree. Most of my time was hanging out with my friends in eisly and stuff. Although i did enjoy getting rares and such. One thing totally diff. was swg's community. all of swtor's community is just made up of over-used meme's and trolling. swg even though it was a smaller group of people, everyone there ( or almost everyone) was super nice and fun to hang around with.

NGE (your photo)was not SWG.

Pre-CU and even CU was SWG. I liked CU for the simple fact they got rid of that retarded HAM system. NGE was the biggest mistake they ever made with that game, the funniest thing was the guy that designed that mess stubbornly refused to admit that it was crap.

I guess due that people werent interested about it and it stayed such a small game from launch to end.

NGE (your photo)was not SWG.

Pre-CU and even CU was SWG. I liked CU for the simple fact they got rid of that retarded HAM system. NGE was the biggest mistake they ever made with that game, the funniest thing was the guy that designed that mess stubbornly refused to admit that it was crap.

What as NGE exactly, I never played SWG but people say this a lot and I'm curious.

What as NGE exactly, I never played SWG but people say this a lot and I'm curious.

Well, for a short period of time swg's entire game engine was ALOT different. Becoming a jedi was probably the hardest and most respected thing in the entire game. you couldnt just choose "jedi" as the starting class, you would be another class then make your way to jedi, atlthough I forgot exactly how you became jedi, its been too long. Especially the animation. Needless too say, swg cu was practically an entirely different game. Nge= New Game Engine. Swg implemented this which drastically over-hauled the game and make most of the players in the game rage quit, because they screwed it up, as most people say. I really dont know what else to say except that when swg implemented the nge, it was the worst idea ever.

Well, for a short period of time swg's entire game engine was ALOT different. Becoming a jedi was probably the hardest and most respected thing in the entire game. you couldnt just choose "jedi" as the starting class, you would be another class then make your way to jedi, atlthough I forgot exactly how you became jedi, its been too long. Especially the animation. Needless too say, swg cu was practically an entirely different game. Nge= New Game Engine. Swg implemented this which drastically over-hauled the game and make most of the players in the game rage quit, because they screwed it up, as most people say. I really dont know what else to say except that when swg implemented the nge, it was the worst idea ever.

So, It made the game different and made the Jedi class easier to obtain?

In what ways did the game change exactly? Other than the Jedi thing.

Edited by TheLonelyTusken

So, It made the game different and made the Jedi class easier to obtain?

In what ways did the game change exactly? Other than the Jedi thing.

Tbh, I never played cu only nge, so I really cant point out any major differences due to the fact I never experienced it. Anyone that played cu wanna lend a hand here?

I played SWG since 2005 and watched the game fall to pieces all the way to 2011. But they are a lot of posers here who say, "SWG was so great it was the only game that had a great story." *Bzzzt* Wrong! SWG's story or "Legacy" was the same for each profession and consisted of saving grandmas from penny thugs (I had one hell of a Dark Jedi who really put the womp rats and *genericgangnamehere* thugs in their place.) or travelling across the planet to some guy in the middle of the desert. (Before player made cities that would have shuttleports close to the quest objective you would have to drive all the way across a planet to some guy in the upper left corner. Better turn on autorun it takes 8 - 10 mins just to get to these and god forbid you die along the way otherwise you start all over again.)

Basically, it took all the character customization that SWG had up to that point and pigeon-holed it into 9 generic MMO classes. You could no longer mix and match whatever you wanted how ever you wanted. Think of WoW's Talent system, but instead of having a warrior class with three talent trees, you started as whatever your race was, and you could choose between every talent tree in the game to design your own character. Take a little from the Warrior tree, a little from the mage tree a little from the priest tree and you had a battlemage/priest.

I think the reason they changed it was because there was no balance...because there was no way to balance such a system, and that made the PvPers cry.

Edited by Keihryon

I played SWG since 2005 and watched the game fall to pieces all the way to 2011. But they are a lot of posers here who say, "SWG was so great it was the only game that had a great story." *Bzzzt* Wrong! SWG's story or "Legacy" was the same for each profession and consisted of saving grandmas from penny thugs (I had one hell of a Dark Jedi who really put the womp rats and *genericgangnamehere* thugs in their place.) or travelling across the planet to some guy in the middle of the desert. (Before player made cities that would have shuttleports close to the quest objective you would have to drive all the way across a planet to some guy in the upper left corner. Better turn on autorun it takes 8 - 10 mins just to get to these and god forbid you die along the way otherwise you start all over again.)

When most people refer to what they thought was greatness was pre-2005 and the NGE. There was less company designed story then and more player driven works. There were some pretty great questlines, you just had to go and find them..unlike today were there is a symbol above any given NPC to point out they had a quest. I remember doing the Darklighter quest lines, the Rebel quests, and Jabba's palace themepark long before the CU. It was just you had to search for the starter NPC. Pretty sure they were put in around JTL, but my memory is fuzzy on that.

NGE was a disaster.

SWG went from a full game with 32+ classes that you could pick and choose from, you had 250 skill point you spent where you wanted them (as you gained the xp for those skills) you want to be a Doctor/Rifleman, Commando/Ranger, Creature Handler/Bio-Engineer or Dancer/musician etc you could pair up the classes any way you want.. Commando/Dancer? you bet.

Getting Jedi was hard

method 1: Master 5+ random professions, you didn't know what professions they were, and more professions were needed to unlock as more people became jedi.

Method 2: The village idiots.. err people. do X number of quests, get Force sensitive, go to some secret village on Dathomir and start doing quests until you become a jedi.

After unlocking you got 1/10th the xp of normal classes ,your skills cost nearly twice as much to get, and you could be hunted by Player Bounty Hunters if you were seen by anyone (including NPC's)

NGE: Got rid of all but 9 professions. Creature handler... Gone, Bio-engineer... gone, Tailor... Gone, Combat Medic... Gone. Instead you had Trader (chef/tailor.. don't want to be a chef.. too bad), Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Commando, Medic, Entertainer, Spy, & Officer (spy and officer were not even original classes) and Jedi. Yes All Noobs could log in for the first time and pick Jedi.

What did vets get? They were given the title of Elder. Oh.. goodie, I now have an Elder Bio-Engineer that has no profession because SONY got rid of it. Jedi? After all your hard work We'll give you a title, a special crystal (oh joy..) and some ugly robes.. oh and you can turn into a blue Glowie ghost.

Sony wonders why they lost so many subs after the NGE was release?. well... maybe, just maybe people didn't like having their professions removed,their beloved characters and sometimes even years of hard work turned into nothing, Houses full of resources for a profession that is no longer in the game...

And for Jedi players.. well maybe seeing noobs log in and just get a jedi without ever learning the game, doing any quests or interacting with the community was a bit harder to take.

Do I miss SWG? I use to.. but I missed the old Pre-CU days, when we had a community of people, when we would lie side by side with the opposing faction chatting about how the battle was going,what we were doing later etc while we waited for our sides doc to get to us to revive us. where Imps and Rebs could party together in the same cantina, take the same shuttles, even group up and do quests together.

Edited by Mirasa

izzelesence?

NGE was a disaster.

SWG went from a full game with 32+ classes that you could pick and choose from, you had 250 skill point you spent where you wanted them (as you gained the xp for those skills) you want to be a Doctor/Rifleman, Commando/Ranger, Creature Handler/Bio-Engineer or Dancer/musician etc you could pair up the classes any way you want.. Commando/Dancer? you bet.

And then there were those of us who had no desire whatsoever to play Jedi. What some of us thought made the game great were things like Player Housing, the INSANELY complex crafting system, or the Bio-Engineering system (among MANY other things). I still fondly remember the days before even vehicles (i.e. when the only way to get around was on a dewback) going hunting on Lok or Dathomir with 4-6 of my friends. We still have stories that we tell and laugh about over a beer.

Nowadays I've come to realize that there will never be another game with the complexity of SW:G (PRE-NGE or CU). But that's okay. At least I have the memories.

And for those of you who wonder what really burned people about the "NGE", it was the fact that a couple of weeks after the "Trials of Obi-Wan" was released the NGE was released. So basically, people had paid $40 for an expansion pack for a game that no longer existed literally two weeks after they made the purchase (1 NOV was the release date, 15 NOV was the NGE). What really burned people, was that there was NO Developer interaction telling people that the NGE was on the way. People just logged in and got patched to see that everything had changed.

LOL Xaos Kun, I remember that upstart, doucher.

The name Zom'Bai Gee'Zus, I think I did some of those heroics with him in my group at one point.

ya xaos kun was lolzy. Thinking he was "the best" because he played lolspai. pop the avoid damage buff+overpowered spy attacks = instant death. and I found out he put me in his most recent video kill me as *gasp* what a suprise, a spy. Im at 0:43. im bad.