For statistics gathering: starting accuracy.

tommmsunb

I started shortly after launch, was flying mostly T2 Scout (BLC, booster recharge, no wingman) and a year ago (means: June 2014) I usually had 35-45% accuracy according to the screenshots I made then. I don't have earlier screenshots and I'm relatively sure my T2 Scouts were mastered or close to.

If my memory is correct I usually had 10-20% accuracy within the first weeks of playing. But keep in mind there weren't many ships upgraded and there weren't pilots as skilled as the good ones are now, so it was easier to hit things with standard layouts.

Prior experiences relating to GSF were scarce. Relating to shooters, recently before the launch of GSF I played Planetside2 a lot, it is possible to fly aircraft there, but the controls are way more complex than in GSF - also this was the first PvP shooter I played in a serious way. Concerning third person flying games the last I played was Rogue Squadron on N64 a very long time ago (saved game on my cartridge says I'm Konteradmiral (rear admiral) with a lot of gold medals).

Edited by Danalon

I started with a Novadive. RFL, Pods, Booster, Servo-Jammer, Disto, Snap Turn. I was averaging about 15-18% accuracy within the first month. Right now I have around 35-45% with the same build but with Running Interferences and PDie.

No prior experience at all.

Edited by Ryuku-sama

It's a shame that there's not a better mechanism for deep statistical analysis or reporting in GSF. I think we could learn all sorts of interesting things about how people fly, what the growth curve is, when people tend to 'figure it out'... which is, I'm sure, your intent here.

In some really old forum thread, a pilot named Whitelightr posted a screen basically laughing at the lousy performance of the opposing team of imps, which I (much later) noticed I was among. It had to be one of my first games, so I was likely flying a Rycer as I did that a lot in the early days.

Here's the screenshot.

Yeah, pretty terrible. So, I guess I started out at around 12% accuracy, at least against a team of veterans. If I recall, Evasion was even more powerful back then, right at the second phase of GSF's launch (early access for subscribers). Kind of interesting that even the winning team had largely terrible Hit %.

Prior space sim experience included... hmm... Elite (the original one), Wing Commander IV & V, Privateer 2, X-Wing Alliance, Tachyon: The Fringe, Starlancer, Freelancer, probably a bunch of lesser games I'm forgetting. Sadly, I never did play Freespace 2, which I know is considered a classic of the genre.

Despon

Edited by caederon

In the early, early days, I remember acc numbers in the teens, and my first screenshot, dating back to Jan 4, '14 is 21% using Quads and Clusters. Spent a long time in the low low, and even have a screen using BLCs and Clusters back in Feb '14 rocking 35%. It was a pretty slow climb, and it wasn't really until Aug '14 that I kind of flipped a switch, and started to see vast improvements to acc on a match by match basis. There was a slow/steady climb into the 40s/low 50s, but getting > 65% on a regular basis just started happening one day. It's fairly rare these days for me to be < 65-70% with BLC+Cluster, and < 50% with BLC+Pods QnP is usually in the upper 40s to mid 50s. It's worth noting that I run Wingman now, but with BLC+Clusters, I run Booster Recharge, and with BLC/Quads+Pods, I run TT+Wingman.

As for experience, Wing Commanders I-III, a little X-Wing/Tie back in the day... Some early flight sims like Battle of Britain and Aces over Europe/Pacific. Does the Super Nintendo Starfox count? The flying largely felt natural, and it wasn't too long before I knew where I was going, but aiming took me a LONG time to get good at. I had to actually go through a match doing nothing but firing missiles in order to get my first 65% achievement.

Edited by nyghtrunner

I don't remember, but I'm sure it was terrible. Probably less than 10%.

In terms of the principles of flight and the MMO-ish mechanics I had no difficulty.

The mouse-based FPS-ish user inputs gave me fits at first.

Of course that was all a matter of prior experience. With previous experience with tabletop RPGs and other MMOs the mechanics were pretty transparent for me with advanced tooltips on. Compared to more serious space and flight sims the flying was easy and dumbed down. I had almost no experience with older FPS games though.

It took a while to get used to steering the guns with the mouse and having the ship chase the gun aimpoint. Even after I figured out the basics I still really disliked it for quite a long time.

Probably part of what first drew me to strikes is that if you're fighting at mid ranges with them the angular offset between where you want to fly and where you want to shoot tends to be lower than it is for the other ship classes.

Edited by Ramalina