stupid question: What is Legacy?

otterscrubber

I keep seeing this on the forums, but I'm not sure what it is referring to. Can someone explain it in a nice summary for me, preferably with a minimum of snakiness. Although I know this is the intarweb so I am prepared for some noob comments. thanks!

Once you get a character past part 1 in the story arc, you get to select a sur name, or "Legacy Name". All other characters on that server also get this last name, which links them all under the same legacy. Coming up in 1.2, you will be able to do some cool things based off your legacy progression. It's basically a way to tie all of your characters together and give you some perks for leveling alts.

Once you get a character through the end of Act 1 (around lvl 30ish depending) you'll unlock your legacy. Basically you'll pick a surname and all characters on your server will share regardless of being Imperial or Republic. Then you'll start earing "legacy xp" on every character you create and play on that same server.

The max legacy level is currently 50. As you "level up" you'll unlock certain benefits that apply to your account, such as a mailbox for your ship. I won't go into the specific details as there are other posts on that and currently nothing is finalized and it is still in testing.

That's kind of the skinny without going into specific detail that has yet to be confirmed.

Does anybody know if "Alt Levels" gained before unlocking your Legacy are "wasted" or not?

I have several Alts in the mid 20s-low 30s range but haven't quite finished Chapter 1 on anybody.

Have I gimped myself by doing that?

Yep, you pretty much took all that experience away from your legacy by not reaching it prior to rolling multiple alts.

At least you have a little time before 1.2 comes out to build up some legacy levels.

Yep, you pretty much took all that experience away from your legacy by not reaching it prior to rolling multiple alts.

At least you have a little time before 1.2 comes out to build up some legacy levels.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

What a rather crappy implementation though. I don't mind not having access to or being granted any rewards until my Alts hit a certain level, but why penalize my playstyle? :confused:

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

What a rather crappy implementation though. I don't mind not having access to or being granted any rewards until my Alts hit a certain level, but why penalize my playstyle? :confused:

I'm right there with you. I have 16 characters (every single class in the game) on 2 servers that all range from 14-31. They really should make legacy EXP be based off current level. Otherwise, they're forcing people to play one alt at a time and honestly, I hate playing that way.

I keep seeing this on the forums, but I'm not sure what it is referring to. Can someone explain it in a nice summary for me, preferably with a minimum of snakiness. Although I know this is the intarweb so I am prepared for some noob comments. thanks!

Its a special wand where I can turn an ugly toad into a beautiful slave girl....