Naval Battles: Harrower-class Dreadnaught vs. Valor-class Cruiser

Bird_of_Thunder

The first of the naval battles series! Inspired by the [Flashpoint Battles: Black Talon vs. Esseles], these fights are between two particular ship types, so let's start debating!

Links:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Harrower-class_Dreadnaught

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Valor-class_Cruiser

The ships have full complements of bombers, shuttles, troops, and starfighters, as well as their full firepower. Let the battle begin!

Interesting topic!

I would have to say that the Valor would pull it out. It may be smaller, but it carries more fighters and bombers than the Harrower. So if the Valor can stay spaceworthy, it's greater number of fighters and bombers can disable the Harrower.

However, the Harrower is bigger and has more firepower. I think it could overpower the Valor and use its lighter cannons to help take out the fighters and bombers.

Tough one to call imo.

Don't forget that the Harrower also has many more crew/passengers that could be used to defend the ship, as well as more shuttles to land boarding parties to cripple the Valor. To really know how big of a difference though, we would need to include trooper weaponry, how many each shuttle can carry, and the statistics of the fighters/bombers.

Fighters

The fighters that the Valor use, in fact, do have a very tactical edge in that they have concussion missiles, and that the empires fighters have very little shielding. If they were able to destroy the empires fighters *extremely likely due to their number and shield advantage* then they could use their missiles to aide in the destruction of the Harrower. However, due to the empires fighters speed, they could very well out maneuver them.

I would give the edge to the Valor's fighters.

Bombers

I can not find any specific bomber designs used by either ship, so i must call the bombers a stalemate in efficiently, with the Valor having more.

Edge Valor.

Armor

The Valor, though maneuverable, is only heavily armored at key points, where as the Harrower seems to be armored in most if not all locations. Though the Valor can likely evade a major broadside due to its maneuverability, i doubt it could protect all of its lightly armored sections, which could cause breeches in the ship causing severe damage.

I give this one to the Harrower.

Firepower.

From what i have seen, it appears as if the Valor doesn't really have much of a focus fire point, so much as broadsides that they can deliver. They seem to carry the same weaponry and only the placement is different. So no matter what the Valor can continue firing, this is true, but how effectively? The Harrower can not fire in all directions at once it seems, but it DOES seem to have a little more ability to focus its cannons, instead of having half just sitting on the other side doing nothing *though i could be mistaken*.

Edge Harrower.

Shuttles

Yet again i can not find a specific type carried by either, so we must just assume they have the same carrying capacity, shields, ect. However, the Harrower does have more shuttles, and more troops to use them.

Edge Harrower.

Conclusion.

Its hard to call, but i would have to give it to the Harrower. Its ability to focus its fire more efficiently, coupled with its armor, makes it devastating. The number difference of fighters and bombers just isn't enough to tip the scales, and it would get the edge if it managed to land shuttles, due to the Valor's small size havoc could be wreaked in short order.

Edited by Silenceo

I would say the Harrower, its simply better designed and more equipped to fight in war. It's wedge shaped design means it can direct all firepower directly forward, rather than having to manoeuvre to its side like the Valor would - which gives it a sizeable advantage in the opening stages of the battle. It also makes the ship less of a target unlike the big, chubby Valor cruiser and helps deflect damage from head on fire.

The Valor-class cruiser has none of these advantages, the only advantage its possesses is speed - but given the shape of the Harrower, it can fire at the Valor from almost any angle. And those engines, there pretty exposed from all angles, unlike the Harrower which can only be accessed from behind.

The Valor does have the advantage of fighters armed with concussion missle launchers, whereas the imperial fighters are designed for swarm tactics, but still the imperial pilots are arguably better trained (imperials are literally bred for war) and swarm tactics will help them destroy the republic fighters which will be busy attacking the Harrower.

We also have to consider that boarding parties will be more effective on the Imp side, as the Harrower has a far larger troop capacity than the Valor.

Harrower wins.

If only we knew the shield strengths...that can be a real game changer...or even floor plan of the ships, as to judge how well boarding parties would be able to cripple them if boarded. Would also be great to know if either ship had automated defense systems in case of boarders.