Still broken Bioware.

Morgalica

With 1.4 you guys introduced a major memory leak issue that seems to hit any 32 bit computer user quite badly.

I was in high hopes that this week it might have been addressed... But after 6 random crashes to desktop I've learned that no you guys have once again over looked it, or totally ignored it.

you have had MANY users submit bug reports and made a lenghty post on the customer support forums about this issue:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=550315

In fact the topic is sticky'ed!!!

Seriously Bioware what gives? Is anything being done about this?

I've been a sub since last December I've suffered through it all with all the rest of the player base, I've paid my dues and yet these types of problems still come up. Players have stopped using the test servers due to not being able to test with high level characters and due to things that are being reported not being fixed with the live patches.

Just a question, Do you guys even care anymore?

You give us craptastic patches filled with quite a few things not wanted or needed, but when problems, some of which are game breaking problems come up... you give us a new level 1 outfit....

I don't expect a response, nor do I really want the same old copy pasted answers that's given to ANY problem that arises. I just want a stable game that I can play, lord knows I've given you my hard EARNED cash, at least you can do is give me what I've paid for.

Go ahead forum trolls flame away.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With 1.4 you guys introduced a major memory leak issue that seems to hit any 32 bit computer user quite badly.

I was in high hopes that this week it might have been addressed... But after 6 random crashes to desktop I've learned that no you guys have once again over looked it, or totally ignored it.

you have had MANY users submit bug reports and made a lenghty post on the customer support forums about this issue:

I've been a sub since last December I've suffered through it all with all the rest of the player base, I've paid my dues and yet these types of problems still come up. Players have stopped using the test servers due to not being able to test with high level characters and due to things that are being reported not being fixed with the live patches.

You give us craptastic patches filled with quite a few things not wanted or needed, but when problems, some of which are game breaking problems come up... you give us a new level 1 outfit....

I don't expect a response, nor do I really want the same old copy pasted answers that's given to ANY problem that arises. I just want a stable game that I can play, lord knows I've given you my hard EARNED cash, at least you can do is give me what I've paid for.

Honestly I have nothing to add to the topic of your OP, but I did find this thread helpful in getting windows to run the game smoother until I upgraded my computer. Maybe this will help.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7237

Your answer is in your post. They created a stickied thread for the sole purpose of trying to identify the problem in question. :rolleyes:

Or, they created a stickied thread so they can say "please post in the stickied thread" and then they can sweep the customer's complaint post under the rug by locking it and letting it drift down into the black hole. Tidy and efficient. :D

Your answer is in your post. They created a stickied thread for the sole purpose of trying to identify the problem in question. :rolleyes:
Amazing how many expect Twitter-quick resolution without considering the complexity of the issue. I'm on an old pos Dell XPS720 WInTel XP SP3 system with 4G of RAM (1G dedicated to the OS - so 3G operating.) I've had TOR crash problems since I "upgraded" to NVidia's 306.23-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe graphics driver. I tried downgrading to the previous 285.58-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe driver but it didn't help.

Which probably means that game developers industry-wide made NVidia-recommended changes to their cache systems or something to conform to NVidia's new specs because I have issues playing even SC2 and LOTRO now that I didn't have before the driver upgrade. It's a moving target that is occasionally missed.

I built a killer WinTel rig for my wife and she never crashes. Though she is now experiencing undo lag issues with the new NVidia driver, and not just when she plays TOR either. Just wondering if AMD/ATI users are experiencing this same issue?

Edited by GalacticKegger

Amazing how many expect Twitter-quick resolution without considering the complexity of the issue. I'm on an old pos Dell XPS720 WInTel XP SP3 system with 4G of RAM (incl. 1G dedicated to the OS - so 3G operating.) I've had TOR crash problems since I "upgraded" to NVidia's 306.23-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe graphics driver. I tried downgrading to the previous 285.58-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe driver but it didn't help.

Which probably means that game developers industry-wide made NVidia-recommended changes to their cache systems to conform to NVidia's new stuff because I have isues playing even SC2 and LOTRO now that I didn't have before the driver upgrade.

I built a killer WinTel rig for my wife and she never crashes. Though she is now experiencing undo lag issues with the new NVidia driver, and not just when she plays TOR either. Just wondering if ATI users are experiencing this same issue?

I went through the same problems with 2 nVidia cards. I got fed up with it, because it seems to be issues stemming from Window 7 and nVidia drivers combined. The support forums for nVidia are a joke, because there are thousands of people with these issues, and they literally have no way of figuring out the issues. I bought myself a MSI AMD RADEON HD 6800, which I flashed to make it into a 6850. It was affordable, and powerful. I haven't experienced a single issue with this game since I installed it February; or any other game.

Edited by monkgryphon

I went through the same problems with 2 nVidia cards. I got fed up with it, because it seems to be issues stemming from Window 7 and nVidia drivers combined. The support forums for nVidia are a joke, because there are thousands of people with these issues, and they literally have no way of figuring out the issues. I bought myself a MSI AMD RADEON HD 6800, which I flashed to make it into a 6850. It was affordable, and powerful. I haven't experienced a single issue with this game since I installed it February; or any other game.
Outstanding. Thank you. I plan on building a rig for myself and this helps ... a lot. Might even price out some cards today. Wonder how much VRAM and bus BW I can get away with without clogging the PCIe plumbing? Edited by GalacticKegger

Exactly my thoughts, thank you for posting.

Amazing how many expect Twitter-quick resolution without considering the complexity of the issue. I'm on an old pos Dell XPS720 WInTel XP SP3 system with 4G of RAM (1G dedicated to the OS - so 3G operating.) I've had TOR crash problems since I "upgraded" to NVidia's 306.23-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe graphics driver. I tried downgrading to the previous 285.58-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe driver but it didn't help.

Which probably means that game developers industry-wide made NVidia-recommended changes to their cache systems or something to conform to NVidia's new specs because I have issues playing even SC2 and LOTRO now that I didn't have before the driver upgrade.

I built a killer WinTel rig for my wife and she never crashes. Though she is now experiencing undo lag issues with the new NVidia driver, and not just when she plays TOR either. Just wondering if AMD/ATI users are experiencing this same issue?

Well I also have an older POS machine but I learned how to deal with it, turned all unneeded settings to low, or off in some cases. I get some lag when large groups of folks are around but that's to be expected.

And to be truthful after 1.4 I've been running alot smoother and overall better except for the random crashes to desktop. The only work around I've found for this is to shut down the game before I do anything major, like op's or flashpoints. That usually makes it so I don't crash during those times ( usually not always). Most of the problems happen during quest turn in's or while loading a new planet // entering or leaving my ship.

This problem was very noticeable after the rise of the rakghoul patch and it took them until 1.2 (legacy) patch to fix it. Thus here we are again same old problems.

Well I also have an older POS machine but I learned how to deal with it, turned all unneeded settings to low, or off in some cases. I get some lag when large groups of folks are around but that's to be expected.

And to be truthful after 1.4 I've been running alot smoother and overall better except for the random crashes to desktop. The only work around I've found for this is to shut down the game before I do anything major, like op's or flashpoints. That usually makes it so I don't crash during those times ( usually not always). Most of the problems happen during quest turn in's or while loading a new planet // entering or leaving my ship.

This problem was very noticeable after the rise of the rakghoul patch and it took them until 1.2 (legacy) patch to fix it. Thus here we are again same old problems.

I truly believe that NVidia is the culprit here, because TOR isn't the only game suffering on my PC since their latest driver upgrade.

I truly believe that NVidia is the culprit here, because TOR isn't the only game suffering on my PC since their latest driver upgrade.

I run an ATI card.

to be more specific:

ATI radeon HD 3400 series.

yes I know it is far from good, but it had worked just fine until 1.4

I run an ATI card.

to be more specific:

ATI radeon HD 3400 series.

yes I know it is far from good, but it had worked just fine until 1.4

Sounds like I should look for something between the Radeon HD 3400 and the HD 6800 then. Cool. :)

EDIT: Best Buy has 1G MSI Radeon HD 6850's for around $150.00 Just might pull the trigger.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Or to make customers just shut up.

Bioware's track record suggests its to just get customers to shut up.

I agree that Bioware should take a step back and address any memory leaks and other inefficiencies that may have popped up.

But I don't understand why you capitalized the word "EARNED" in your post. How is the fact that you earned your cash important to your point? Would your point be diminished if the cash you spend was won? I can understand run on sentences and misuse of commas, but deliberately capitalizing a word not central to the argument is baffling.

I agree that Bioware should take a step back and address any memory leaks and other inefficiencies that may have popped up.

But I don't understand why you capitalized the word "EARNED" in your post. How is the fact that you earned your cash important to your point? Would your point be diminished if the cash you spend was won? I can understand run on sentences and misuse of commas, but deliberately capitalizing a word not central to the argument is baffling.

Well to be honest I typed this right after a game crash, so I was a bit peeved. I did try and take the time to go back through and re-read it. The earned part was kind of directed towards Bioware // EA. Meaning I worked hard for my cash, that could have been better spent elsewhere in some peoples eyes. But since I earned it, I spent it on what I thought was a sound investment.

That earned statement was in no way directed towards anyone whom might have won or gained their money in another way.

If you feel I am right please feel free to post in here.

I want Bioware to see this I want them to see that we as a playerbase are upset that they just ignore us.

I don't need a post I want action I want to see that they are even able to listen and put into effect things to fix problems, not to usher in new ones.

I know I am about to get alot of flak, but I want them to wait on the new pvp warzone and do a round or two or how ever many is needed to fix the problems they have out that have been around unfixed for so long.

(ok pvp'ers flame me just keep in mind I am also bored of the stale warzones out now as well and am looking forward to the new zone too.)

I want Bioware to see this I want them to see that we as a playerbase are upset that they just ignore us.

I know I am about to get alot of flak, but I want them to wait on the new pvp warzone and do a round or two or how ever many is needed to fix the problems they have out that have been around unfixed for so long.

Your OP acknowledges that their team has already reached out to the player base to try to get information useful for narrowing down possible sources of crashes. Obviously they're not ignoring the player base.

Delaying the new warzone won't do a whole lot with regards the bug fixes(unless you're talking about fixing bugs related to the warzone and its introduction).

it is a memory leak, a large one, the game crashes at a certain point when new or malloc fails and theres no exception handling done, on 32bit systems this normaly happens at 2GB, on x64 this seems to be less of an issue and the garbage collector is able to cope better although lots of stuttering and micro freezes start happening and eventualy given enough time the game does crash

sad thing is they probly dont employ anyone capable of fixing it

Edited by GillianS

Sounds like I should look for something between the Radeon HD 3400 and the HD 6800 then. Cool. :)

EDIT: Best Buy has 1G MSI Radeon HD 6850's for around $150.00 Just might pull the trigger.

I am running a 2 year old Radeon HD 5850 (1 gig card)

With HIgh graphics settings I have very little lag either here or LOTRO or even in 25 man WoW raids.

Hope that helps a bit

it is a memory leak, a large one, the game crashes at a certain point when new or malloc fails and theres no exception handling done, on 32bit systems this normaly happens at 2GB, on x64 this seems to be less of an issue and the garbage collector is able to cope better although lots of stuttering and micro freezes start happening and eventualy given enough time the game does crash

sad thing is they probly dont employ anyone capable of fixing it

But here's the kicker this used to happen up until 1.2 some how they fixed it after 1.2. I have no clue when it comes to programing but they had it fixed before, well maybe not the leak itself but the game didn't crash randomly or as often as it is now.

I have no idea the nightmare the programers are going through with all the "Get this out now!" and the "You need to fix this, but make this over here work as well!" or what have you. But I am sure those guys and gals started with hair and most I'd wager are balding or bald by now.

Edited by Morgalica