TOR Sith characters got better characterization than Jedi?

Slowpokeking

I tend to agree, though with final bosses, I'm kind of glad that you don't fight any of the major Jedi/Republic characters like Satele and such, basically because I don't want them to die :D! But it would've been kind of cool to have developed some of the other more prominent Jedi characters within each Jedi class story, but on the other hand, it allowed other Jedi characters: Orgus, the Jedi strike team that was brainwashed, a couple other council members to be introduced and fleshed out a little.

Malgus got better character development than Satele for now, sure she has potential. Darth Baras, Darth Jadus, Darth Zash and Thanaton all have very good characterization but the Jedi masters' are not that good.

a lot of Satele character development is out side the game and in books and comics for instance i was talking to a guild m8 who did't even know that Satele as a Son who is an Agent in the SIS i mean come on there's Comics about it and Even the recent book was about him.

a lot of Satele character development is out side the game and in books and comics for instance i was talking to a guild m8 who did't even know that Satele as a Son who is an Agent in the SIS i mean come on there's Comics about it and Even the recent book was about him.

I've read the EU, and her development is still not good enough, typical Jedi chick. However it could change if they get into the good points they made, indirectly through the game.

Edited by Slowpokeking

So a kinda jedi goes rogue lets kill him, sounds fun LETS DO IT and often. Its all about the EMPIRE...but more seriously you could take this "confused" jedi and slap them in chains they don't ALL have to finish in a box....but they will when we get there. sorry but were thinking for the good of all.

Jedi are overall boring, all they can do is either get a blaster shot into chest/lightsaber or save some unimportant folk. It is impossible to recieve characters like Baras or Malgus if you follow jedi code, because what would they do? make a huge web onf spies to in the end say: surrender, you will become our pirsoner/change yourself o ye mighty evil being!

Well, the Jedi masters in the Empire stories do indeed get very little characterization and 90% is also mischaracterization.

In generel you're right, the Sith characters do get better characterization. Some Jedi Masters do have potential, though. Especially Orgus and Braga. But you only see them for one chapter, which is kinda sad.

Also, Jaric Kaedan. I'd love if he had been more important throughout the story. (Guess I'll have to write some fanfic.)

There is also Syo Bakarn. He isn't that interesting, but I still thing when it comes to charecterization he is comparable to Thanaton.

Well, the Jedi masters in the Empire stories do indeed get very little characterization and 90% is also mischaracterization.

In generel you're right, the Sith characters do get better characterization. Some Jedi Masters do have potential, though. Especially Orgus and Braga. But you only see them for one chapter, which is kinda sad.

Also, Jaric Kaedan. I'd love if he had been more important throughout the story. (Guess I'll have to write some fanfic.)

There is also Syo Bakarn. He isn't that interesting, but I still thing when it comes to charecterization he is comparable to Thanaton.

Thanaton is quite annoying and ************, but his character is quite memorable.

Jaric kaeden is in the Ilum story for the empire and you end up killing him. Just an FYI for ya.

Thanaton is quite annoying and ************, but his character is quite memorable.

Still, IMO Baras and Zash get more characterization. If I remember correctly, Thanaton's main character trait is paranoia.

He is memorable indeed, but so is Syo Bakarn, even though he is a very stereotypical Jedi.

Jaric kaeden is in the Ilum story for the empire and you end up killing him. Just an FYI for ya.

I know. The fanfic would probably take place during the Great Galactic War. (He was the one who captured the Dread Masters after all and Ilum clearly shows him past his prime.)

Jedi are overall boring, all they can do is either get a blaster shot into chest/lightsaber or save some unimportant folk. It is impossible to recieve characters like Baras or Malgus if you follow jedi code, because what would they do? make a huge web onf spies to in the end say: surrender, you will become our pirsoner/change yourself o ye mighty evil being!

well, in all there have been like two captures of sithlords by the jedi, and thats not always becuase the sith gave the jedi no option. for example, Count douku

Goody two shoes or Marry Sue type of guy is always boring.Always the evil and the grey guy is interesting.In all franchises and fantasy/sci fi worlds.

Sith have always been more interesting than the jedi.

I disagree. Jedi can be interesting. In the OT, Yoda was no less interesting than the Emperor. And Luke was also interesting, IMO as interesting as Vader. I'd even say Obi-Wan was interesting.

On the other Hand, Sauron isn't really that interesting and doesn't get that much characterization. Maul isn't an interesting Character either (in the movies).

Jedi can be done in an interesting way. (Of course, if you make the "goody two shoes" their only character trait, they aren't interesting. And evil Mary Sues like the Bounty Hunter aren't more interesting than good Mary Sues like the Jedi Knight.)

I disagree. Jedi can be interesting. In the OT, Yoda was no less interesting than the Emperor. And Luke was also interesting, IMO as interesting as Vader. I'd even say Obi-Wan was interesting.

On the other Hand, Sauron isn't really that interesting and doesn't get that much characterization. Maul isn't an interesting Character either (in the movies).

Jedi can be done in an interesting way. (Of course, if you make the "goody two shoes" their only character trait, they aren't interesting. And evil Mary Sues like the Bounty Hunter aren't more interesting than good Mary Sues like the Jedi Knight.)

Pls add Qui Gon.

Well the thing is, a bunch of Jedi cannot create good conflict unless someone fall to the Dark Side, that's why post RotJ has to add so many imperial/dark jedi/sith/alien invasion/Abeloth whatever, but a bunch of Sith could make amazing plot.

Goody two shoes or Marry Sue type of guy is always boring.Always the evil and the grey guy is interesting.In all franchises and fantasy/sci fi worlds.

Sith have always been more interesting than the jedi.

I disagree, the problem isn’t that the “goody two shoes” is boring but that you need a really good writer to make a story where the “goody two shoes” isn’t boring. The “goody two shoes” or in this case the Jedi usually fall in to two story. The “I’m going to save the day” store or the “I’m falling to the Dark side” story. Both of this stores we have seen over and over again nothing new i.e. there boring. But the sith empire, that’s new. I (not being a big EU reader) haven’t seen this before, it needs to be explained. How does bunch of sith work together? Why are they working together? How are they going to react to a “the world needs to be save” situation? Can a sith “fall to the Light side”? It’s new, different, and interesting.

In fact my sith warrior is a “goody two shoes” he uses his rage and hate for the republic to protect empire and its citizens form them and their Jedi allies. He does sometimes (ok, a lot of times) have to go against Darth Baras orders to protect the citizens and do the right thing. He also know that Baras is out for himself and not the empire but being a “goody two shoes” he will not directly defy him or brake the chain of command unless he has to for the good of the empire and its citizens. I know that some people will think he’s a boring “goody two shoes” but I find playing “the good sith” to be new, different, and interesting.

And more on the main topic I think that Kira Carsen is a very good Jedi character. She a good girl, likes to help people, not likely to fall to the dark side, but she doesn’t believe in the Jedi code. She thinks that the Jedi need to lighten up, and would like to see some changes made to the Jedi order. Not in the old dark side “I’m going to lead a revolt against the Jedi council” way but in a light side “hey council, let’s look at the rules and see if they need to be updated” way. Imo she has as much characterization as Darth Baras, or Darth Zash

Jedi can be done in an interesting way. (Of course, if you make the "goody two shoes" their only character trait, they aren't interesting.

The thing is,if they are not goody two shoes,they don't qualify for an exemplary jedi.So basicaly if you are a good jedi,you are boring.Yoda is boring for me ,not not mention annoying.Basicaly all jedi from the movies are boring,except Anakin,and he is what you call in swtor dark side jedi knight.

Of course there are exceptions.But they are not in the movies.

Would also like to point out that i didn't grew up with the movies( i dont like them) as some people here,my introduction to the Star Wars universe was Kotor 1 and 2,so maybe that effects my opinion.

Sith and grey jedi are much more multi dimensional.

Damn,im bored at work . :)

Edited by Kaedusz

The thing is,if they are not goody two shoes,they don't qualify for an exemplary jedi.So basicaly if you are a good jedi,you are boring.Yoda is boring for me ,not not mention annoying.Basicaly all jedi from the movies are boring,except Anakin,and he is what you call in swtor dark side jedi knight.

Of course there are exceptions.But they are not in the movies.

Sith and grey jedi are much more multi dimensional.

Yoda in the Prequels is boring, I agree on that. But do you also consider Yoda from Empire Strikes Back as boring? And the Emperor (who doesn't really do anything and doesn't get that much characterization) from Return of the Jedi as that much more interesting? YMMV, but in my opinion the Jedi didn't get boring until the Prequels.

I think good characters can very well be multi dimensional. Again I'll use Lord of the Rings as example. There are quite a few good characters: Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pipin, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, to list the major ones. Some of them may be boring, but do you consider every single one of them boring?

(Of course, they aren't Jedi. But if multi-dimensional good characters are possible in general, multi-dimensional good Jedi should also be possible. IMO there are some in the Star Wars universe, for example Nomi Sunrider or Lord Hoth.)

Edit: In what order did you watch the movies? If your first impression of the Jedi were the Jedi in Episode I, then I can see why you see Jedi as boring.

Edited by Maaruin

Edit: In what order did you watch the movies? If your first impression of the Jedi were the Jedi in Episode I, then I can see why you see Jedi as boring.

Before i played Kotor ,SW was just a silly movie to me,didn't pay much attention and didn't know what was going on,only watched small parts from different episodes.

First i played Kotor ,got hooked up on SW then i watched more carefully episodes 1,2,4,5,6,3,in that order.

If you watch SW in the 80s and 90s for the first time ofc Yoda and Kenobi are gonna be interesting,ect,ect.After i played kotor 2 and looked up stuff regarding the EU up untill the Ruusan Reformation,the jedi in the movies were kinda uninteresting to me.As i said some jedi are cool,but they are from the EU.Its just my pov.

edit:And that tendency follows in that game,imo the sith protagonists in swtor are more interesting than their jedi counterparts.

Edited by Kaedusz

Before i played Kotor ,SW was just a silly movie to me,didn't pay much attention and didn't know what was going on,only watched small parts from different episodes.

First i played Kotor ,got hooked up on SW then i watched more carefully episodes 1,2,4,5,6,3,in that order.

If you watch SW in the 80s for the first time ofc Yoda is gonna be interesting,ect,ect.After i played kotor 2 and looked up stuff regarding the EU up untill the Ruusan Reformation,the jedi in the movies were kinda uninteresting to me.As i said some jedi are cool,but they are from the EU.Its just my pov.

I see.

I agree that we need more interesting Jedi. As I said, good Jedi, but they also need to be multi-dimensional, interesting characters.

If you have played Jedi Knight Chapter 1, what do you think of Master Orgus?