grav rounds ignore shields rumor?

RpTheHotrod

They skills are exactly the same. They both deal kinetic damage which is only mitigated by armor and not shields. It's not on the tooltip but kinetic damage in general ignores shields and is only mitigated by armor. Edited by Leiloni

Both of you are wrong.

Special attacks ignore regular defense. Most Trooper/Mercenary abilities are Special attacks, including Tracer Missle/ Grav Round.

The main exceptions are High Impact Bolt/Railshot and Unload/Full Auto, which are regular weapon-damage attacks and are effected by Defense. Defense includes Shield chance, dodge, miss, etc.

More specifically, the default Special attack accuracy is 100% while normal attack accuracy is 90%. If you get +10% accuracy from gear, for example, you can never miss any attacks, but the enemy can still dodge. If the enemy has 10% dodge and you have 110% accuracy, (+20& of base) then you negate their dodge and can never be dodged.

On a similar note, Elemental and Internal damage are not effected by ARMOR. Only energy and kinetic are (90%+ of player abilities are Energy/Kinetic).

Edited by DeltaGun

Both of you are wrong.

Special attacks ignore regular defense. Most Trooper/Mercenary abilities are Special attacks, including Tracer Missle/ Grav Round.

The main exceptions are High Impact Bolt/Railshot and Unload/Full Auto, which are regular weapon-damage attacks and are effected by Defense. Defense includes Shield chance, dodge, miss, etc.

^^ This.

The rounds definatly dont go through bubbles or personal shields, its extremly noticable when people put them up on thierselves and your damage gets cut to do almost nothing, or sorcs just turning their back at you soaking up the damage

He's talking about tank shields. The one's that require the shield stat and the tanking stance. Special attacks ignore those completely.

Both of you are wrong.

More specifically, the default Special attack accuracy is 100% while normal attack accuracy is 90%. If you get +10% accuracy from gear, for example, you can never miss any attacks, but the enemy can still dodge. If the enemy has 10% dodge and you have 110% accuracy, (+20& of base) then you negate their dodge and can never be dodged.

On a similar note, Elemental and Internal damage are not effected by ARMOR. Only energy and kinetic are (90%+ of player abilities are Energy/Kinetic).

How is that different than what I said.

You said Kinetic damage ignores shields. Which is 100% untrue.

There's a 78 page thread on the topic. The only thing that shields work against is weapon damage. Anything that says kinetic, energy, internal, or elemental on the tooltip are useless against shields. If the tooltip says "weapon damage" then shields work.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=155034 is the thread. Lots of discussion on the the topic and people testing. Below poster said it well also in few posts in that thread.

I'm going to be nice, just this once, but I don't like repeating myself. Failures of reading comprehension from this point forward will not be taken lightly.

Shields do not work as advertised. The only abilities which shields work on are those listed as "Weapon Damage" in the ability tooltip.

Shiv, Rocket Punch, Lacerate, Back Stab, and Hidden Strike are all abilities which look like they should be mitigated by shielding but they do not, they are classified as "Kinetic Damage" and therefore bypass shields entirely in the current game. Operatives and Bounty Hunters therefore only have three abilities, each, which are affected at all by shields.

Any tooltip which lists its ability as doing "Elemental Damage," "Internal Damage," "Kinetic Damage," or "Energy Damage" bypasses your shielding entirely.

This means that the only classes significantly affected by shielding is Snipers and Saber Weilders. Everything else in this game gets by your shielding without batting an eyelash.

This is of course unfair for both sides. Saber Weilders and Snipers deal with significantly more damage mitigation than anyone else, and Tanks aren't getting nearly as much bang for their shielding buck (Powertech tanks especially since the whole damn tree revolves around shielding, something which less than half of their opponents do a significant amount of attacks towards).

There may be "no abilities which grant the ability to bypass shields," but my point is that there doesn't have to be since so few of the attacks can be shielded in the first place.

Don't believe me? Spend an hour of your own time to test it. Like I did when I didn't believe the person who told me.

Special attacks don't ignore shields, it's damage type.

The only damage subject to proc and absorption by a equipped shield is weapon damage.

Specials which inflict weapon damage still proc shields.

This is entirely separate from damage bubbles, like static field, it's the equippable item I'm referring to.

Edited by Trackeri

There are two different things: "ATTACK TYPE" and "DAMAGE TYPE".

Attack type = Melee, Range, Tech, Force

Damage type = Kinetic, Energy, Elemental, Internal

Melee and Range attack types can be dodged, parried, 'blocked' (shielded). Tech/Force can't. The other thread discussed how 90% of the abilities in the game are Tech/Force, and therefore bypass all defenses. It's pretty asinine.

Damage type pertains to whether something is mitigated by armor or not. Kinetic/Energy = mitigated by armor. Elemental/Internal = not.

It is coincidental that all attacks that "use weapon damage" are pretty much melee or range attacks.

There are two different things: "ATTACK TYPE" and "DAMAGE TYPE".

Attack type = Melee, Range, Tech, Force

Damage type = Kinetic, Energy, Elemental, Internal

Melee and Range attack types can be dodged, parried, 'blocked' (shielded). Tech/Force can't. The other thread discussed how 90% of the abilities in the game are Tech/Force, and therefore bypass all defenses. It's pretty asinine.

Damage type pertains to whether something is mitigated by armor or not. Kinetic/Energy = mitigated by armor. Elemental/Internal = not.

It is coincidental that all attacks that "use weapon damage" are pretty much melee or range attacks.

I am going to have to agree with this guy

My understanding is that "uses weapon damage" means the ability uses the weapon DPS as a modifier and that is all.

Having both damage type and this new attack type is a really retarded system I must say.

Edited by DarthDartheous

Special attacks don't ignore shields, it's damage type.

The only damage subject to proc and absorption by a equipped shield is weapon damage.

Specials which inflict weapon damage still proc shields.

This is entirely separate from damage bubbles, like static field, it's the equippable item I'm referring to.

What this guy said.

Shields block weapon damage, a majority of player attacks do kinetic, energy, elemental, and mental damage.

I don't know about you guys but my weapon says is does Energy damage.

Therefore my weapon damage is Energy. And it is mitigated. What more needs to be said.

I still think my explanation is correct and the alternate explanation is a simplification, albeit still correct.

I don't know about you guys but my weapon says is does Energy damage.

Therefore my weapon damage is Energy. And it is mitigated. What more needs to be said.

I still think my explanation is correct and the alternate explanation is a simplification, albeit still correct.

It isnt what your weapon says, its what the skill says.

If the skill says weapon damage (like Unload and Full auto say) then it can be shielded/blocked.

If it says Kinetic like Tracer Missle and Grav round, then it cannot be shielded/blocked.