Bolstered Mods vs. Obroan

TaitWatson

Wait so theise blue things give you more white damage afterall?

jep - at least that what i have observed for my own aswell, checking my combat logs with 45s my white min-dmg actually dealt was allways higher than my max tooltip dmg has been... and that aint possible if the tooltip was correct actually.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can see (and as many of you have reported), the blue mods are scaling much better than Obroan. We will be looking at Bolster and making adjustments to work towards correcting this issue, particularly as we get towards 2.7 and a new set of PvP gear.

-tw

What happened to "We don't consider this an exploit?"

Apparently the tooltip is bugged, and incorrectly states that blue mods give you less weapon damage than obroan, rather than more. Just lol.

I find it odd that the TT is way off in some cases, but not in others. In general, my TT showed the about the same advantage between Obroan and personal build, so why would 46 be that much off?

Things that make you go, hmmm?

Seeing how you, BW, seemingly are checking this thread; How about adding some rewards or leaderboards for 8 vs 8? You know, so that the other 99 % of the population can have something to work toward.

I like arenas but having 8v8 ranked back would be nice.

I like arenas but having 8v8 ranked back would be nice.
Wasnt trying to take this off-topic but even if I liked the gametype, which I don't, I wouldnt be able to endure the randomness. It feels like 8 vs 8 has a better chance of being balanced than Arena. Every Arena game is just a coin toss because one player/class can make or break the team. There's more room for diversity and game changing moves in 8 vs 8. I've never lost a 8 vs 8 because, and only because, one guy left before the game started, the tank didnt guard, the other team got not only stronger dps' classes but also dps classes that could guard etc. In 8 vs 8 you're still in the game somehow and you don't have to be discouraged from start by a team frame that screams "unless you're 10 times better than the other team there's now way that their setup loses against yours". I don't get how any sane person can enjoy solo Q, those people have not played a real PvP game.

Wasnt trying to take this off-topic but even if I liked the gametype, which I don't, I wouldnt be able to endure the randomness. It feels like 8 vs 8 has a better chance of being balanced than Arena. Every Arena game is just a coin toss because one player/class can make or break the team. There's more room for diversity and game changing moves in 8 vs 8. I've never lost a 8 vs 8 because, and only because, one guy left before the game started, the tank didnt guard, the other team got not only stronger dps' classes but also dps classes that could guard etc. In 8 vs 8 you're still in the game somehow and you don't have to be discouraged from start by a team frame that screams "unless you're 10 times better than the other team there's now way that their setup loses against yours". I don't get how any sane person can enjoy solo Q, those people have not played a real PvP game.

I wont deny that. Almost every AC was viable in some form or another in 8v8 and it probably would of been much better since the change to field respec, but it is what it is. BW recognizes that the pvp community is extremely small, hoped that 4v4 would alleviate the issue and be done with it because the most likely scenario is EA will not give them money to build cross server. Until we either get a mega server or cross server, many teams/players will not want to queue ranked because there is no middle ground for the average team to compete in so the top 3 teams just destroy everyone them farm each other. Cross server wouldn't fix everything but it sure as hell would help a lot with matchmaking and ELO...

But ya, bolster and stuff...screw bolster lol.

TW: thanks for pushing the devs to get to the bottom of this and for sharing what you know even though it's basically not good. I hope this gets fixed soon: it's a bit discouraging to know that my optimized Obroan sets have been a waste of comms and may continue to be until the new sets come out (at which point obroan becomes obsolete anyways).

Hello everyone!

I sent the information posted by L-RANDLE to the combat team to have them take a look, and wanted to post and let you all know what’s going on.

One of the first things we found when looking at the numbers is that tooltips are not matching what the back-end math says should be going on at all. Turns out, weapon damage attacks aren’t properly updating when we bolster weapon damage values up. That is going to cause players with lower weapon mods (hilts/barrels, specifically) to have their “white damage” abilities really off-base on the tooltip. We have informed the engineering team so that they can take a look and see what’s going on.

The second thing we did was “dissect” the numbers we got from L-RANDLE, specifically when it came to the Ravage numbers provided. For a bit of background, here is how Ravage damage is calculated:

Ravage Hit 1 and 2:

92.5% of Weapon Damage

13.9% of Base Level 55 Ability Damage (Max Base Damage is 2685 at 55)

1.39x Bonus Damage Stat

So using L-RANDLE’s provided information, here is what we got:

Obroan:

Max Weapon Range: 668 (Bolstered to 863)

Bonus Damage: 834.2

1st and 2nd Ravage Hits: 798 + 373 + 1159

3rd Ravage Hit: 1597 + 746 + 2319

Total Damage (before Skills/Armor/etc): 9322

L-RANDLE’s Personal Setup:

Max Weapon Range: 651 (Bolstered to 863)

Bonus Damage: 856.7

1st and 2nd Ravage Hits: 798 + 373 + 1190

3rd Ravage Hit: 1597 + 746 + 2454

Total Damage (before Skills/Armor/etc): 9447

Blue Mods:

Max Weapon Range: 651 (Bolstered to 863)

Bonus Damage: 882.6

1st and 2nd Ravage Hits: 798 + 373 + 1227

3rd Ravage Hit: 1597 + 746 + 2454

Total Damage (before Skills/Armor/etc): 9593

As you can see (and as many of you have reported), the blue mods are scaling much better than Obroan. We will be looking at Bolster and making adjustments to work towards correcting this issue, particularly as we get towards 2.7 and a new set of PvP gear.

-tw

I am shocked. This is actually a very informative response. Please do more of this, and less of the first post in this thread. There may be hope for you yet, TaitWilson :D

Oh, I didnt read that last part.... please go back to the dev team and tell them that we do not want, nor need, a new set of PvP gear. Grinding new gear is not content.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

I'm sure will see a similar post in 6 months.

So using L-RANDLE’s provided information

I know Randle is not on the BW payroll. You guys could at least send him a Starbuck's card or some free CC.

Does the Dev team not understand and realize yet that plugging holes in Bolster doesn't really help in the long run. As soon as you introduce new gear and we get a new Bolster iteration in 2.7, this whole fail process is just going to repeat itself. Have you learned nothing from your mistakes in the last year?

You just sweep it all under a Hutt hoping nobody will discover it only to get exposed when we all become really bored because there is no real endgame PvP content.

I am shocked. This is actually a very informative response. Please do more of this, and less of the first post in this thread. There may be hope for you yet, TaitWilson :D

Yes please.

I'm sad (if not at all surprised) that it took players like L-Randle painstakingly gathering evidence for the devs to get off their collective behinds and take notice - what is it about this bunch that prevents them from testing for themselves?

But at least we're getting somewhere now. Eventually.

Still need to go back and rethink the bolster system's overall design though, or we'll just be looking at the next round of problems when the new tier is released.

Edited by Jherad

2. This is where the crystal issue I mentioned comes into play. Bolster should be taking into consideration the crystal in the weapon when it adds stats, but it currently isn't and thus the MH/OH are bolstering improperly. This is why you see the bonus damage over Obroan.

Why not phase out Expertise crystals instead? Seems their necessity is long gone from a time when PvE crystals were very rare. Now all they do is limit our stat options (can't have 82 critical rating; mods cost 2k more to swap out), colour options (no Magenta, Purple/Cyan significantly rarer) & they counter-intuitively break bolster in PvE/sub-55 gear (see this often with new/returning players; forces us to buy PvE crystals regardless).

Not to mention losing stats from our Power/Critical pool when upgrading from level 50 weapons. Doesn't seem right to see ANY downgrade considering we still have to use these in PvP daily areas (i.e. all of them on a PvP server).

Edited by MrRuck

Why not phase out Expertise crystals instead? Seems their necessity is long gone from a time when PvE crystals were very rare. Now all they do is limit our stat options (can't have 82 critical rating; mods cost 2k more to swap out), colour options (no Magenta, Purple/Cyan significantly rarer) & they counter-intuitively break bolster in PvE/sub-55 gear (see this often with new/returning players; forces us to buy PvE crystals regardless).

Not to mention losing stats from our Power/Critical pool when upgrading from level 50 weapons. Doesn't seem right to see ANY downgrade considering we still have to use these in PvP daily areas (i.e. all of them on a PvP server).

I'd rather they get rid of stat crystals in general. There should of never been a stat tied to color crystals, it should of been cosmetic only.