Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss this topic.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Thank you!

Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

I've been experiencing the opposite. My commands are being processed before I see the animation. It also happens a lot with my companions. I often find myself hitting a hotkey to finish off the last enemy but nothing happens because my companion has already killed him. It just hasn't been animated yet.

Edited by TiiRahnedancer

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications?

time and money, its always, time and money constraints

as for the rest of your post, your view of economics is flawed, as im sure that if you ask ANYONE in wow right now, you will be hard pressed to find anyone who even knows what engine wow uses, what its based on, and the technology it uses

wow wasnt succesfull because of its "engine" but rather what they did with it...

and their engine has had MULTIPLE revamps over the course of 7 years and three expansions, the engine did NOT have the capability for high rez textures,the engine did NOT have the capabilty to display high resolution particle effects, the engine did not have the capability to do a lot of things that wow now does, and they had to write and recode specific parts of it to be able to implement the stuff they wanted to implement later on ( aka phasing quests , that sort of thing)

so , in conclusion...you dont really know what you are talking about

All those revamps were possible because they developed it in house.

Because it's not possible to modify an engine you buy or license?

You don't know what you're talking about. You can't. This won't stop you though.

As someone posted earlier, the Unreal 3 engine is not exactly in a great state either.

Just look at DCUO.

They use Unreal 3 and they have the same/similar issues.

Just my 2 credits

The unreal engine is pretty great, the 3D renderer, the way it handles bounding volumes, the scripting system and the project management are all fantastic and should be used as a standard to judge other engines.

However, it's very generic. It's not tailored for use with MMO's and alot of companies will do the minimum amount of work possible to get their product in a state that they can push it out the door.

Also you have to ask how much of the DCUO stuff is done in uscript and not natively.

I love uScript but it's never going to be as fast as native compiled C++ code in any real world situation.

All those revamps were possible because they developed it in house.

So, what you are saying, is that because Bioware didn't initially create the Hero Engine that the engine has not undergone any development/changes by the Bioware dev team since being acquired would look the same as it did several years ago upon first being acquired?

As someone posted earlier, the Unreal 3 engine is not exactly in a great state either.

Just look at DCUO.

They use Unreal 3 and they have the same/similar issues.

Just my 2 credits

Then you look at games like tera that run U3 and its very very smooth, and graphically up to date with what you would expect in 2012 even though it released in 2011.

Think blade and soul also runs on U3

The guy who was instrumental in choosing the hero engine for this game.. left 11 months before it came out. (and that was to go to a social game company.. quite the change dont ya think, considering he coulda had all the credit for a triple A mmo (in theory))

Anyone remember what this game looked like back then? Remember those bland looking characters? that wasn't artwork not done.. that was the best they could come up with without killing the FPS. (name any other game that 12 months before release had unfinished artwork as bad as swtor did in their trailers). In the end they had to split it into high-def for cutscenes, and low def for everything else (except the faces.. they backed themselves into a corner with that one).

So what happened about a year ago? Rift launched around the same time, and looking infinitely better then SWTOR did back then. I'll have to check my facts, but im pretty sure ther was a blog about swtor in the past year where they had to revisit all the sets because the art department hadnt gotten it right (so who told the art department the wrong stuff to begin with? hmmm i wonder). I can't help but wonder if that was anything to do with the way Rift looked, and honestly Rift still looks way better environmentally. Shadows that dont look like they belong in minecraft? amazing!

I'm honestly not surprised that the Gordon skipped town to a casual game company after what he did to swtor (oh did i mention he was at SWG too??)

Neil Harris, president of HeroEngine, went on the defensive recently with regards to this game and its reception. One fact stands out quite a lot: BW split off developing this engine more then 2 years ago; they stopped getting updates from HeroEngine themselves.

If you had faith in the 3rd party providing the engine to you.. wouldn't you want to keep getting the latest code? BW will claim they customised this engine so much then couldn't easily update it any more. I'd love to know what was customised so much they couldnt manage those updates any more (eg even the space fights are a *core* component of HeroEngine). Either BW lost all faith in the engine, or (and this seems more likely) they thought they could do better themselves.

This being the same company who didnt even think on to include a /roll option in a game with master looting. Yer.. wonder who made those decisions....

One last point. Graphics don't make the game, theres no doubt about that: They add to the experience. But then why are so many people so vocal about the engine? because once you get past the quest lines, and look into the actual MP part of this game.. its decidedly lacking. This is a single player game, trying very hard to be MP, that we're paying a monthly fee to play and we dont even get proper graphics fidelity to distract us from that fact.

SWTOR is a game where the design documents, and the engine, were locked down about 5 years ago. If this game had launched back then, it would easily be top of the charts right now (the missing features now, wouldnt have been an issue 5 years ago). As it stands, it just smacks of being stuck in the past.

Edited by ShadsAU

It cracks me up that so many posters think they know something about this engine that the team at Bioware didn't or doesn't.

I agree that the game lags out when too many characters are in the same area, and that it's easy to conclude it's the fault of the engine design, but really do you honestly think you know more about how to fix it than the professionals at Bioware?

The guy who was instrumental in choosing the hero engine for this game.. left 11 months before it came out.

Anyone remember what this game looked like back then? Remember those bland looking characters? that wasn't artwork not done.. that was the best they could come up with without killing the FPS. (name any other game that 12 months before release had unfinished artwork as bad as swtor did in their trailers). In the end they had to split it into high-def for cutscenes, and low def for everything else (except the faces.. they backed themselves into a corner with that one).

So what happened about a year ago? Rift launched around the same time, and looking infinitely better then SWTOR did back then. I'll have to check my facts, but im pretty sure ther was a blog about swtor in the past year where they had to revisit all the sets because the art department hadnt gotten it right (so who told the art department the wrong stuff to begin with? hmmm i wonder). I can't help but wonder if that was anything to do with the way Rift looked, and honestly Rift still looks way better environmentally. Shadows that dont look like they belong in minecraft? amazing!

I'm honestly not surprised that the Gordon skipped town to a casual game company after what he did to swtor (oh did i mention he was at SWG too??)

Neil Harris, president of HeroEngine, went on the defensive recently with regards to this game and its reception. One fact stands out quite a lot: BW split off developing this engine more then 2 years ago; they stopped getting updates from HeroEngine themselves.

If you had faith in the 3rd party providing the engine to you.. wouldn't you want to keep getting the latest code? BW will claim they customised this engine so much then couldn't easily update it any more. I'd love to know what was customised so much they couldnt manage those updates any more (eg even the space fights are a *core* component of HeroEngine). Either BW lost all faith in the engine, or (and this seems more likely) they thought they could do better themselves.

This being the same company who didnt even think on to include a /roll option in a game with master looting. Yer.. wonder who made those decisions....

One last point. Graphics don't make the game, theres no doubt about that: They add to the experience. But then why are so many people so vocal about the engine? because once you get past the quest lines, and look into the actual MP part of this game.. its decidedly lacking. This is a single player game, trying very hard to be MP, that we're paying a monthly fee to play and we dont even get proper graphics fidelity to distract us from that fact.

SWTOR is a game where the design documents, and the engine, were locked down about 5 years ago. If this game had launched back then, it would easily be top of the charts right now (the missing features now, wouldnt have been an issue 5 years ago). As it stands, it just smacks of being stuck in the past.

Pretty much this ^^

They dug themselves a hole with this engine.

I am almost certain EA forced them to launch at christmas because they were getting impatient waiting for them to try and figure things out and wanted to get a profit off the game before it was to late.

Then you look at games like tera that run U3 and its very very smooth, and graphically up to date with what you would expect in 2012 even though it released in 2011.

Think blade and soul also runs on U3

Isn't Tera kind of a joke? Also, you can't really comment due to it not being released.

And w.t.f is blade and soul?

No one outside of the Dev's know why they picked the Hero engine, we can speculate all we want, money,time,convience, and thats just it, us talking out our backsides, I have gone to the Hero website and read about the engine, I do wonder if the Hero engine people work with the bioware team to improve the engine, once again no one here knows, oil prices are based on specualtion, look where thats is taking us..specualtion is never a good thing, and it's never a right thing. and thats specualtion LOL.. I prefer facts myslef..:)

No one outside of the Dev's know why they picked the Hero engine, we can speculate all we want, money,time,convience, and thats just it, us talking out our backsides, I have gone to the Hero website and read about the engine, I do wonder if the Hero engine people work with the bioware team to improve the engine, once again no one here knows, oil prices are based on specualtion, look where thats is taking us..specualtion is never a good thing, and it's never a right thing. and thats specualtion LOL.. I prefer facts myslef..:)

This ^

Edited by Azzras

It cracks me up that so many posters think they know something about this engine that the team at Bioware didn't or doesn't.

I agree that the game lags out when too many characters are in the same area, and that it's easy to conclude it's the fault of the engine design, but really do you honestly think you know more about how to fix it than the professionals at Bioware?

Not at all, I'm sure the guys that had to takeover the mess others left behind know full well what the problems are.

But you've also proven you don't have a clue either. " the game lags out when too many characters are in the same area". The game lags out in 16 player PVP. It lags out when there's 200 players in fleet.. but those 200 are spread out all over.

Thats not "too many characters". Go look up what River of Souls was like in Rift for the definition of too many characters in one place at one time.

Isn't Tera kind of a joke? Also, you can't really comment due to it not being released.

And w.t.f is blade and soul?

I can to comment on it ive played it several times!

Its been out in korea for a year.

And its in open beta here if you preordered.

We aren't talking about the game, we are talking about how it runs.

And I am saying its very very smooth no fps lags even when theres 50+ people on my screen pvping. And the graphics are miles ahead of swtor. And its not instanced to the point where you feel like your playing by yourself occasionally seeing someone else lol. Theres people EVERYWHERE all over the map.

Thats my point. better performance, better graphics and better responsivness in general.

Blade and soul is another mmo coming out that runs on U3.

in fact I think just about every asian mmo dev is using U3 to create their mmo's at the moment. Or a good majority of them.

Edited by Barracudastr

Just to piss us off.

Its sad when a new mmo comes out and the number one issue in the forums is the game engine and performance lol.

It is even more sad that those belly aching the loudest and the most are unqualified to make the assertions they do.

No, BW doesn't work with them any more. They stopped a couple years ago.

It is even more sad that those belly aching the loudest and the most are unqualified to make the assertions they do.

I dont have to be qualified to look at something say it sucks.

Do you have to be qualified to look at a car and call it a car?

Do you have to be qualified to look at a piece dog crap and determine that it is indeed a dog turd? Didn't think so.

It doesn't take any sort of qualification to look around at these forums and see that everyone (not just a handful of people) are not happy with the game and its performance.