What is generating all these credits the last two years, Let's help the devs fix it

gelper

What is generating all these credits the last two years, Let's help the devs fix it.

I have no idea what it is and apparently neither do the developers, Maybe if we can post ideas of what easily repeatable thing is being done to generate this massive amount of credits so that we can get it fixed.

I don't know if its tons of free accounts doing something or what. Any ideas? It's obviously something that generates pure credits and not items, unless the items can then be sold for credits to a vendor.

Also, maybe the developers should do a sting operating on the credit sellers to find out how they are doing it. That's my top suggestion.

These exploiters can generate credits so easily that they can undercut the price from the cartel store by multiple times over. How bad does this have to get before action is taken. I am sure this is costing the game tons of money in loss sales of cartel items.

Edited by gelper

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is generating all these credits the last two years, Let's help the devs fix it.

It's already fixed. It's called amplifier RNG.

There's also been many, many theories postulated on the forums as to how credit sellers make their cash, everything from taking over accounts and raiding them and selling the money they find there to bots just standing there all day farming the same node over and over.

Rather than playing NCIS or Investigative Reports, the bang for the buck on the part of the devs is doing what they're already doing: squelching the spammers.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Seeing as BWs way of fixing it was to implement a conceptually stupid gear addition (that supposedly made tok little of a difference to matter) while failing to up the overwhelming majority of supposed endgame content to the new level cap, why do we think they can actually fix the credit inflation problem?

Lots of exploits, duping, etc. People got billions (trillions?) of credits from them, most didn't get banned, and the credits were left in the game. Not tackling the credits sellers enough. And I'm sure there are others people would like to add

But it continues to go on and get worse, They obviously have a steady supply of credits which is separate from those incidents.

It's a combination of things, not one single thing, and one of those things is a relative lack of effective credit sinks = ways to spend them. Think of it this way: the progressive introduction of free ability training, free quick travel replacing use of taxis, free cross-galaxy travel to heroic missions, free ... well, you get the picture.

Add to that the increase in credits available from e.g. heroic missions, heroic bonus missions, etc. and, well, you get the picture.

Oh, and the post-6 weirdness around crafting and materials for it meaning that people who gather and play flashpoints have a source of no-expenditure materials and so on that attracts substantial prices, *and* a way (Jawa tokens) to buy materials for no credit cost, and ... well ... ((do I have to say it again? Apparently I do.)) ... you get the picture.

I think it's more along the lines of thousands of accounts exploiting something that generates credits non stop for years. Maybe we can help the developers find out what it is. Whatever it is is generating A LOT OF CREDITS for it to still be worth it to them at these low prices and inflation levels.

Remember it's something that generates credits or items that can be sold to a vendor for credits.

Some of what is suggested like jawa junk doesn't apply because it doesn't generate any credits, only items that can be sold to other players which is an exchange of credits, not a generation of them. (even though I am not in favor of excess jawa junk which can be used to undermine the value of resources)

Edited by gelper

They could also be running instances hundreds of times a day. Would raise some suspicions you would think.

Here's my thought on that: I seriously don't believe gold sellers are participating in the game in a meaningful way as one would expect players to.

Time=money, and the money for their time is in cleaning out compromised player accounts, not fussing with game content.

Edited by xordevoreaux

But it continues to go on and get worse, They obviously have a steady supply of credits which is separate from those incidents.

lol Wow. So you're going to get mad at the people who have been playing close to launch who've learned how to make credits, who has saved over the years & then expect ppl to oust them?! lol

What is this, "rat out my neighbor" mentality, in game & RL?! Jeeze.

BTW, I've never completed any exploit, dupe, etc...and I have Millions, close to a billion. And I also roll amps, bought augments recently because I'm frustrated with the whole major process of crafting them & alting over & over.

All I've got to say is, mind your own business. Water your own grass. You want credits to buy the shinies, work for them, like a large population of the game has done/does.

lol Wow. So you're going to get mad at the people who have been playing close to launch who've learned how to make credits, who has saved over the years & then expect ppl to oust them?! lol

What is this, "rat out my neighbor" mentality, in game & RL?! Jeeze.

BTW, I've never completed any exploit, dupe, etc...and I have Millions, close to a billion. And I also roll amps, bought augments recently because I'm frustrated with the whole major process of crafting them & alting over & over.

All I've got to say is, mind your own business. Water your own grass. You want credits to buy the shinies, work for them, like a large population of the game has done/does.

So you're mind reading that I was mad? I was just stating a fact. I did not say they had some from the past, i said they have STEADY SUPPLY. Meaning that the credits come in non stop.

Also you should be concerned that your billion is pretty much worthless. Don't they sell that for like 30 dollars. If it wasn't so worthless because of these credit generation methods then your billion would buy tons more.

Edited by gelper

Last spring, Bioware introduced a wonderful new conquest patch that made it super easy and fast to earn loads of conquest.(unless you try earning conquest via multiplayer exclusive content, gods forbid you try getting rewarded from multiplayer content in this MMO lol) Ever since, some of the most efficient ways to earn tons of conq are also some of the most straightforward and simple and low effort things you can do in this game.

Spend 10 mins bringing a single character to conquest target in a high yield guild and you have just earned bit over 300k credits from rewards of the two relevant conq missions alone. (raw credits+credit certificates) Since last spring, many people been bringing 30, even 40 characters to conquest target/week with ease. Takes 10-20 mins from determined farmer to bring their character to target. (10 mins for 1st alt of the day, prolly closer to 20 mins for alt number 5 or something) If you earn 300k/character and bring in 30 chars a week..well, do the math. Add to that whatever credits you earn along the way by facerolling the planetary missions. That's a ton very easy and fast credits generated into the game.By loads of different people.

Can you think of many other legit ways to "create"300k new credits into the game with 15 mins of work?

Edited by Stradlin

So you're mind reading that I was mad? I was just stating a fact. I did not say they had some from the past, i said they have STEADY SUPPLY. Meaning that the credits come in non stop.

Also you should be concerned that your billion is pretty much worthless. Don't they sell that for like 30 dollars. If it wasn't so worthless because of these credit generation methods then your billion would buy tons more.

Well yes they come in a steady supply, they play the GTN, watching the market, crafting. Then doing what above poster said about CQ,

My almost billion gets me what I want. lol So don't worry about me.

And Idk what the illegal price is, that's frowned on & against the rules.

@CaptRogue&Gelper

Maybe its a good time to remind errybody on how how TOR..and all other MMos basically have two different and separate streams of credits. Anything people earn via GTN or cash shop don't really cause inflation in any direct fashion.. just redistributes credits. GTN actually does the opposite, thanks to its pretty draconian sales tax. Any kind of trades between players just moved credits around.

Ultimately, only activities and exploits that create new credits to game cause inflation. I think some measure of inflation gradually creeping in is a default state in any MMo. Sometimes, stuff gets broken, out of balance or exploited and gradual creeping turns into a flood. I think things got kinda broken when they turned conq into something where you bring 300k of raw credits in 10 mins.Maybe there is something else behind it, but this def among the main reasons.

Edited by Stradlin

There's also been many, many theories postulated on the forums as to how credit sellers make their cash, everything from taking over accounts and raiding them and selling the money they find there to bots just standing there all day farming the same node over and over.

Not really a theory. Musco confirmed in a stream the other day that stealing accounts is a big part of what they do.

Not really a theory. Musco confirmed in a stream the other day that stealing accounts is a big part of what they do.

Has anyone reading this ever heard of anyone getting their account hacked/stolen? Not really questioning what you say, genuinely curious. One would think authenticators and confirmation emails make it extremely rare and difficult.

Has anyone reading this ever heard of anyone getting their account hacked/stolen? Not really questioning what you say, genuinely curious. One would think authenticators and confirmation emails make it extremely rare and difficult.

Except not everyone uses authenticators and passwords can be hacked. One way is to get access to your mail for example. With all the phishing and what not out there, a careless moment can give them access.

Except not everyone uses authenticators and passwords can be hacked. One way is to get access to your mail for example. With all the phishing and what not out there, a careless moment can give them access.

It pops up in the forums every now and then, or in chat. It's one of the reasons I tell everyone to use a security key, that and the extra 100 cc's :)

Sure. Yet,people tend to have some sort of failsafes for any and all important emails they use, too. I'm not saying it'd be impossible or never happens. It is possible and does happen. Just that I bet it extremely uncommon nowadays. When it does happen, I imagine victim is almost always somebody who, in terms of possessions, isn't much of a target really. (Long since forgotten and abandoned F2P account without any established characters or relevant amounts of credits) I'd guess characters themselves are the valuable part here (as spam bots and farming bots or w/e) , not the credits legit owner of the account once earned.

Edited by Stradlin

I’ve heard of a few people over the years. The problem is once your account is stolen, you lose access to it and the ability to post on the forums. It’s really hard to convince CS that your account is stolen.

Also, not everyone uses authenticators and if a hacker can get someone’s email account and intercept, they can get the recovery emails or confirmation emails. It’s really not that hard.

You’ll probably find that a bunch of the accounts that get compromised are ones that use the credit buying sellers websites. When they go to their sites to buy the credits there is malware imbedded in the website that gives them access to systems using keyloggers etc.

The lesson is don’t ever use 3rd party sites to buy credits because you can nearly guarantee they are dodgy and siphoning your data somewhere.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

There are ways and ways of getting around that, mostly centred around having broken into someone's email account and finding that the person plays SWTOR (especially since the account name appears in the emails from SWTOR). There's probably a healthy market in compromised accounts for all sorts of MMORPGs.

I’ve heard of a few people over the years. The problem is once your account is stolen, you lose access to it and the ability to post on the forums. It’s really hard to convince CS that your account is stolen.

Account thefts were such a visible part of the digital life in Wow of 2010 or so. It'd happen constantly. Raids had to be rescheduled cause some key member had gotten hacked. Your friends, guild mates, guild officers kept getting hacked. Felt like there was always somebody in your circle who was in the middle of the account recovery process. It looked like borderline routine. Things sure are different now. When it comes to TOR, I can't recall a single example of account theft among guildies, friends etc across all these years. That's just about in line with your experience too I guess. (few people over the years)

People have learned to take account security more seriously and have much better tools available to help with this to boot. I'm sure it happens..but it really looks like a rare thing.

In other news, between this and previous post, I finished bringing a char to conq target. Clicked that amp like a champ! Thanks to this heroic feat, 300.000 new shiny credits gonna be created to the game world. Last spring, right before they /s - - -> """" improved"""" < - - - /s conquest, Hypercrates were something like 120 or 150 mils iirc. They gotten 100 mils added to their pricetag since then.

Master's Datacron and equipment held a remarkably stable price for a long time,I think it was around 45-55 mils for almost a year or so. Cheapest listed are 95 mils atm. Creeping inflation turned into an absolute flood. Mysteriously things began accelerating immediately after the big conq patch..weird.

Edited by Stradlin