Species Unlock Creeped My Cartel Coins

StarrShyn

I was excited to take advantage of the recent discounts for species unlocks. So, while playing the toon I wanted to change, I used my Appearance Modification station in my stronghold where it clearly reads on the customization screen, "When changing your species, additional customization options are free." I selected the species to unlock and clicked save. I was deducted the 600 Cartel Coins for the new species as expected, but I was also deducted an additional 792 Cartel Coins for a "Customization Cost", as it reads on the screen. I submitted a ticket and got a less than satisfactory response. In short, I got: "One charge was for the unlock and one charge was for the change. The wording is ambiguous. I'm flagging this for the developers. Sorry for the confusion." :jawa_frown: There is no ambiguity in the statement as it reads. I mean, I was literally on the toon I wanted the species unlock for. I was on my toon, in my stronghold, on my appearance mod station. I clicked the species, I clicked save. I would have never done that at the cost of 1392 Cartel Coins. And that was on "sale". Ouch. That was a big chunk of Cartel Coins gone because of "ambiguous" wording. I have sent two follow up emails on the matter and have gotten no response. So, I'm posting this here to warn other new players.

If I'm reading this right, their response was correct. The part about additional customization changes being free refers to any tweaking you do to the look of the character as the new species. Changing the species of your character DOES involve a charge completely separate from the one to unlock the species itself.

Now, it might have been a little cheaper to unlock it as part of the character change, but I'm not sure if that's possible since I've never tried doing it myself. The wording is a little ambiguous, but it still comes down to the fact that you were charged correctly for all that you did. I'm sorry that this wasn't what you wanted or intended. At least now you know what is entailed in changing a character's species to one that needs to be unlocked.

Yes, their answer is technically correct according to their established data matrix, but not according to what you see on your screen. I've worked as a paralegal for 20 years - I know "ambiguity" well. But, their wording was clear; and my actions to change species were done so accordingly. I realize they are not going to do anything to resolve or clarify this because one person's thread, but it's still a slimy thing to do, and if another new player is curious about unlocking a species, I want this to be clear. Certainly, for me, the change was not worth almost 1400 cartel coins. But, hey, lesson learned. Their "ambiguity"; my loss. :cool:

It's really quite simple. It costs 792 CC to change the species of your character - even if the species is already unlocked. For example, if you changed your human Jedi to a Cyborg, it would costs 792 CC.

Some species are initially locked and you need to pay a fee to unlock them - in this case 600 CC. So, you paid 600 CC to unlock the species, plus you also paid the normal 792CC cost to change your species.

This may seem a bit "ambiguous", but it only seems that way because you unlocked a species and changed your characters species at the same time. If you had done the two things as separate steps, it would have been more clear - like for example, if you had bought the species unlock from the Cartel Market, and then later on changed a character's species.

Similarly, I unlocked the latest Human Hairstyles in the Cartel Market. When I went to change a character's hair to one of the new ones, it still cost the additional 60CC fee.

Edited by JediQuaker

Yes, their answer is technically correct according to their established data matrix, but not according to what you see on your screen. I've worked as a paralegal for 20 years - I know "ambiguity" well. But, their wording was clear; and my actions to change species were done so accordingly. I realize they are not going to do anything to resolve or clarify this because one person's thread, but it's still a slimy thing to do, and if another new player is curious about unlocking a species, I want this to be clear. Certainly, for me, the change was not worth almost 1400 cartel coins. But, hey, lesson learned. Their "ambiguity"; my loss. :cool:

Of note:

* If you change another character to that species, you will not have to unlock it, so you pay only the 792 coins to change species for the *next* character.

* The "additional customization options" are the various sliders in the new species, so you can set up the new appearance within the new species without paying to fiddle with all the sliders.

But yeah, it should have been more explicit for your case, that you had to unlock the species as well as actually selecting it. (There might have been a tooltip to that effect if you hovered over the species button.)