Best Relics for Running HM Ops and Above?

I'm a Gunslinger who is looking for help on what relics to run for my character. I have 300 Daily Coms, and even 2000 RWZ Coms. My question is which Combo is best for damage-dealing? :rak_02: So far I'm using War Hero 110+ Power Relic and Elite WH 120+ Power Relic (Numbers might be wrong, but you get the idea)

Should I stack power? Matrix Cube? Or get the DG Relic that has the chance to deal internal damage? So far I'm asking around, but I seem to get different answers. I'd like more input from more *seasoned raiders* who knows what their DPS brings and what type of relics they use.

Thanks in advance :o

My Slinger uses an augmented Dread Guard internal proc relic and an EWH relic for the huge power bonus. The activate power Dread Guard gives more overall dps if used properly, but I found running TfB and HM EC I have to move a lot so the passive power bonus from the EWH relic gives me more total damage output then the activate one

Personally I like the clicky power relic over the EHW static one, but that's mostly because I've gotten used to clicking it on CD or sometimes saving it for big damage phases (e.g. Kephess TfB)

Some of the others in my raid group hate the clicky relic as they keep forgetting to use it on CD. For them, the EWH power relic is better.

The proc damage relic is definitely worthwhile. I use the Kinetic Tempest one, but that's due to the armor penetration on my Commando.

Personally I like the clicky power relic over the EHW static one, but that's mostly because I've gotten used to clicking it on CD or sometimes saving it for big damage phases (e.g. Kephess TfB)

Some of the others in my raid group hate the clicky relic as they keep forgetting to use it on CD. For them, the EWH power relic is better.

The proc damage relic is definitely worthwhile. I use the Kinetic Tempest one, but that's due to the armor penetration on my Commando.

Ya as a slinger I hate trying to use the activate relic during boss fights like in TfB where I have to get up and move over and over (thus losing a lotta the activate phase bonuses)

BiS for all DPS are the Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages and:

Internal Proc Relic if you use tech damage.

Elemental Proc Relic if you use force damage.

Of course, the Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages would diminish if you don't use it on CD, but if you aren't skilled enough to learn to use it on CD, you probably have bigger issues to tackle first. My suggestion would to bind your relic/adrenals and other buffs you use in burst phases (Explosive Fuel, vent heat, recklessness, etc...) to the 1, 2, 3, 4 keys so it is easy to pop them at once when they align. Its also nice to organize your burst CD's in one place, because they often don't share the same CD's

Ya as a slinger I hate trying to use the activate relic during boss fights like in TfB where I have to get up and move over and over (thus losing a lotta the activate phase bonuses)

Advice: You don't have to use it immediately when it comes off cooldown. Use it in situations in which you will be able to be a turret. You can afford to keep it on CD for a few seconds while you have to move. It is rare that you will miss using the relic an additional time, because you waited a few seconds before using it. Being a great DPS is about knowing the rhythm of the fights and knowing when the best time to use your cooldowns.

Edited by bbare

Advice: You don't have to use it immediately when it comes off cooldown. Use it in situations in which you will be able to be a turret. You can afford to keep it on CD for a few seconds while you have to move. It is rare that you will miss using the relic an additional time, because you waited a few seconds before using it. Being a great DPS is about knowing the rhythm of the fights and knowing when the best time to use your cooldowns.

+100000000000000000000000000000

The "easiest" fight is against FB (and SC). During that fight, this relic gives you a REALLY good boost.

BiS for all DPS are the Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Ages and:

Internal Proc Relic if you use tech damage.

Elemental Proc Relic if you use force damage.

Almost. Gunnery commandos/Arsenal mercs should use the kinetic relic, and Combat Sentinels/Carnage Marauders should use the energy relic, because of extra armor pen these specs get. There may be others, these are just the two I'm aware of.

Almost. Gunnery commandos/Arsenal mercs should use the kinetic relic, and Combat Sentinels/Carnage Marauders should use the energy relic, because of extra armor pen these specs get. There may be others, these are just the two I'm aware of.

This ^

BiS relics sometimes has to take in acount the spec\class you are using

in a smugler class DF the BiS is the internal one, but in SS spec is the kinetic

Edited by ErosGyne

BiS relics sometimes has to take in acount the spec\class you are using

in a smugler class DF the BiS is the internal one, but in SS spec is the kinetic

All Gunslingers should be using the internal proc relic. The energy/kinetic proc relics require the presence of substantial amounts of global armor penetration to be valuable. Sharpshooter doesn't get any global armor penetration (it gets a single instance of specific armor penetration to Aim Shot, and not even all that much).

The class/specs that shouldn't use the relevant I/E proc relic for their power source and should instead use the relevant K/E damage proc relic are Focus Guardians/Sentinels (30% arpen from Shii-Cho Mastery), Scrapper Scoundrels (30% arpen from Flechette Round), and Gunnery Commandos (35% arpen from Armor-piercing Cell). Combat Sentinels are somewhat fuzzy as to whether they should use Energy or the Elemental proc relic: Precision Slash provides 100% arpen for 4.5 seconds every 15 seconds, which averages out to 30% arpen. However, because the ICD on the damage proc relics is 6 seconds, made slightly longer as a real CD by the need to have it proc off of attacks, it's entirely possible that you won't benefit from your arpen for those attacks. If you use Precision Slash immediately after the proc activates then you'll get the same damage as anyone else without any arpen, which makes it worse than the elemental proc relic. As such, Combat Sentinels get kinda fuzzy: the law of large numbers states that you probably get ~30% arpen applied to your proc over time, but sometimes that just doesn't apply.

Keep in mind, the differences between choosing the proper DG proc relic and the "wrong" DG proc relic (as long as you're getting a DPS relic), is single digit changes in total DPS. When you're already pushing 1.9-2k DPS, you're probably not going to notice any difference in whether you're using the correct DG relic, especially since the natural variation in your DPS thanks to lag, variations in skill and reaction speed, etc. are all going to make a *way* bigger difference.

All Gunslingers should be using the internal proc relic. The energy/kinetic proc relics require the presence of substantial amounts of global armor penetration to be valuable. Sharpshooter doesn't get any global armor penetration (it gets a single instance of specific armor penetration to Aim Shot, and not even all that much).

Keep in mind, the differences between choosing the proper DG proc relic and the "wrong" DG proc relic (as long as you're getting a DPS relic), is single digit changes in total DPS. When you're already pushing 1.9-2k DPS, you're probably not going to notice any difference in whether you're using the correct DG relic, especially since the natural variation in your DPS thanks to lag, variations in skill and reaction speed, etc. are all going to make a *way* bigger difference.

Just as a comment on this, my artifice can craft the Kinetic Tempest relic, which I made for a Gunslinger in my raid group. He did an ops dummy parse and we looked at the log details.

Grav Wave is the proc attack from the relic, and it was hitting for 204 non-crit damage with Flourish Shot up (mitigated down from 280 damage), as compared to the 210 damage he would have gotten with the Internal relic.

As Kitru says, the difference is minimal.

Edit: As I recall (it's been a while) my Commando was getting 238 damage per non-crit Grav Wave, due to the additional armor penetration.

Edited by Khevar

The nice thing about relics these days is that there is choice. For far too long the PvP power relics were BiS and there was little competition. EWH. Dread Guard Proc and Dread Guard click in almost any combination will have you putting out excellent damage.

I used to use the EWH, but so many fights have a distinct burn phase these days that I find the Dread Guard Relic click +Power to be better.