Jedi Knight vs Sith Warrior (also, is Doc really that bad?)

turtletatt

Just finished leveling my SW to, well okay, 49, but I really enjoyed the Marauder play style (Carnage). Out of curiosity, which branch/spec is roughly the same play-style wise?

Also, I've heard some really negative things about Doc (from what I've read, guys seem to love him while girls have issues with his 'skeezy-ness'). Being a chick who plays female toons, and also being someone who really only ever uses healing companions (<3 Lokin and Guss), just how annoying is he? Malavai Quinn annoying? (As in, the guy constantly annoyed me so much that I had him run around in his skivvies because I figured it would embarrass him.)

Not *cough* that I get too invested in companions and, er, mentally attribute them with emotions or anything:rolleyes:

Just finished leveling my SW to, well okay, 49, but I really enjoyed the Marauder play style (Carnage). Out of curiosity, which branch/spec is roughly the same play-style wise?

Combat tree is the mirror tree to Carnage, Sent is the mirror class to Mara. Playing a Combat Sent will feel exactly the same as a carnage Mara

Also, I've heard some really negative things about Doc (from what I've read, guys seem to love him while girls have issues with his 'skeezy-ness'). Being a chick who plays female toons, and also being someone who really only ever uses healing companions (<3 Lokin and Guss), just how annoying is he? Malavai Quinn annoying? (As in, the guy constantly annoyed me so much that I had him run around in his skivvies because I figured it would embarrass him.)

Not *cough* that I get too invested in companions and, er, mentally attribute them with emotions or anything:rolleyes:

I don't really want to say too much here or spoil anything but Doc and Quinn are for the most part have quite the opposite personalities/outlook on life in general. I can't give you too much perspective on the romance end of it because I'm a d00d and always roll male toons but I really enjoyed them both and used both extensively.

Probably not much of a spoiler but just in case, also mentioned Quinn in here as well.

I'll say this, if Doc comes off as 'Skeezy' is probably because he fancies himself as a ladies man or bad boy, but I got the sense that he's still a good guy at heart. Where Quinn, as you know, is an uptight military man who's bent on protocol and chain of command above all else.

As far as their healing goes, they are mirrors of each other in the same way that operatives and scoundrels are mirrors. That's the type of game mechanic they are both based on (as in not commando/merc heals or sage/sorc heals)

Doc is just full of himself, but in the good meaning. Sometimes he seems like he is trying to pull attention to himself and/or call team success his personal success, but he seems to do this jokingly. He als ohas lots of funny comments towards other team members, but none offensive. He is like male me. I am a girl playing girl characters, so I ended up marrying him even though I used DPS companions instead, but I always enjoyed talking with Doc.

Some girls like him. I pretty much loathe him. He is, indeed, extremely skeezy. If you've played a Consular and met Theran, you've met Doc. Full of himself, player, hits repeatedly on female Knights in typical disrespectful smug dudebro fashion even when you show absolutely nothing but contempt and annoyance in return...

But yes, he is a ~hurt lonely sweetheart~ under all the jack@ss, if you consider that a legit excuse for unacceptably sexist and obnoxious behavior.

Edited by Quething

Some girls like him. I pretty much loathe him. He is, indeed, extremely skeezy. If you've played a Consular and met Theran, you've met Doc. Full of himself, player, hits repeatedly on female Knights in typical disrespectful smug dudebro fashion even when you show absolutely nothing but contempt and annoyance in return...

But yes, he is a ~hurt lonely sweetheart~ under all the jack@ss, if you consider that a legit excuse for unacceptably sexist and obnoxious behavior.

Theran at least pretends to be polite and respectful.:D

If you liked Gaius Baltar in BattleStar Galactica, you'll feel right at home with Doc.

That said, I like Doc. He's got his faults (who doesn't?) but he always manages to do the right thing when it matters the most.

That spineless, manipulative, cowardly, weak, hedonistic D-bag? I kinda dislike Doc because he acts like a pig, but comparing him to Baltar is a low blow...

I've heard some really negative things about Doc (from what I've read, guys seem to love him while girls have issues with his 'skeezy-ness')

No we don't. Doc is that douchebag that is always hitting on your girlfriend and you are never really sure why you are hanging out with him.

Doc would pop his collar IRL.

Edited by Icebergy

If you liked Gaius Baltar in BattleStar Galactica, you'll feel right at home with Doc.

That said, I like Doc. He's got his faults (who doesn't?) but he always manages to do the right thing when it matters the most.

Is there a person in the world who likes Gaius? xD Pompous freak :D

Honestly, as a guy playing a female JK (for some reason, I don't think I've ever played a female char in a BW game before), Doc is hilarious. He's the kind of person who would be an absolutely huge jerk in real life (whether you're male or female) but is somehow really funny in-game. Shooting down his ridiculous attempts to hit on you genuinely never gets old.

But yeah, I love Doc, he's a fantastically written companion. It doesn't matter whether you like him or not, he makes interesting comments and is funny to have conversations with (imho) so in general I like the chap.

It's not hard to shut Doc down from hitting on you. In your first convo, take the lightside option of "We can't be a couple" and the second time he brings it up, shut him down. I never had any more flirts after that. And he's a good healer, I use him all the time. He's also one of the few companions I can stand to listen to. His offhand comments are kind of funny.

You're going to want a combat sentinel but wouldnt it be more fun to try something else?

As for Doc, well he's just as annoying as quinn, just sleezy and lazy. Hes the guy your momma warned you about., while quinns the guy she wanted you to marry.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a person in the world who likes Gaius? xD Pompous freak :D

Gaius Baltar was one of my favorite characters. He's so well done and such a deep character. It's easy to gloss him over, but god I love a well done antagonist, and he was so well done.